My '03 CLS6 progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 01:39 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
best of luck. You might get lucky and they could angle them into place.

I think it would be best to start fresh rather than modifying comptechs since you would probably only keep a tiny section of the comptechs. That's if you were to cut the primaries before they merge and extend them similar to the P2R. Even then the comptech jpipe would be too small (2"). You would want 2.5 probably and then 3" once both banks merge. Better to sell the comptechs for 5-600 and start fresh.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
I would just modify them exactly how fox did. Use the exhaust manifolds, cut the flange off and replace with a v band. All the tubing after the v bands would be replaced. The top section is the harder part to make.

Might be better selling comptechs and using the cheap ebay header and just reinforce welds.

I am gonna try and go forward with the long tube install. Just not sure how far it will get. I might have them modify comptechs at the same time.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
This is gonna be such a huge money pit. I don't see how any dyno results could possibly be worth the price.

Wow! Situations like this have caused me to throw in the towel. I'm sure you will get this ironed out no mater which way you go. However, if you do decide to go with the long tubes, I'm sure you'll be a shoe in for "best performance mod" at the KC show next year. LOL
Old 11-21-2013, 03:48 PM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Sorry about your situation Brian- fox is a straight up guy from my experiences. But I see what you are saying about them have never been mounted on the car w/ accessories. I hope you can make everything work.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:01 AM
03 CLS-6

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
I know the long tubes look like they will be a pita to install but you won't be disappointed once you get them in. Don't be intimidated by them lol! Honestly in my opinion I wouldn't even bring it to a shop to install them. You should be able to install them with basic hand tools if you feel confident. I will say they will be tight but they will fit nice and snug how custom long tubes should fit. That's the only way to be able to run true long tube headers in our chassis as we have minimal clearance.

Whenever you get them installed and if you still have clearance issues with the front header and the oem fans. I highly recommend spal slim fans as a replacement. They will gain a lot of clearance if you get low profile ones and still mount similar to oem while looking neat. https://webstore.spalusa.com/

I hope you don't back out and still go for it, you will not be disappointed with the performance results. If I wasn't going turbo they would be going on my car.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Lone Wolf

The problem with me installing them would be welding still needs to be done.

I need oxygen bungs welded on and an exhaust made.

I could just try and install the 2 sections with no oxygen sensors and no exhaust, but then I would have to drive it like that to the shop.

If there are any fitment issues I do not have the equipment to fix it myself.

I was gonna go with a FAL fan fox.

Yes fox is a stand up guy.

I am guessing you made these for a 3.5-3.7 liter engine fox? Hope they don't flow too well in my 3.2 that I lose power.

I am gonna box headers up today and ship them off to swaintech for their white lightning ceramic coating. I wasn't sure whether to get the inside coated so I left a note in the box telling swaintech to decide if the coating inside might be beneficial.

Last edited by brian6speed; 11-22-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:02 AM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Awesome coating man.
You will reduce under hood temps and the coating increases scavenging.
Even if the tubes on the headers were too big for your 3.2 then the coating would actually help because of the scavenging.

Be sure to wash your hands or where gloves when installing or they will get dirty quick.
The following users liked this post:
brian6speed (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Lone Wolf

I researched swain tech after you mentioned it RP. They seem like the best option. Thnx RP. Did you get the inside coated or just outside?

I dropped headers off at ups earlier. It cost me $95 to ship there. Coating will probably cost 300-350. Then another $95 to ship them back.

I am gonna try and avoid focusing on price or I will just be negative considering the price of my full exhaust plus install will cost more then the car is worth almost.

Maybe I should just buy an mdx block and build a 3.5 now.

What opinions do you guys have about getting parts insured. I am rather worried someone will rear end me, insurance will total the car, then I would be screwed unless they let me buy the car back and remove my parts.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:52 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Maybe I should just buy an mdx block and build a 3.5 now.
Then it would be easy to install the headers!
The following 2 users liked this post by gnuts:
1foxbody (11-24-2013), civicdrivr (01-06-2014)
Old 11-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Racer

I think buying back a totaled car is always an option. You might want to investigate the price difference between liability only and full coverage(with a high deductible). If someone hits you their insurance will be who pays you (Unless they are scum of the earth and aren't carrying insurance). In any event, you cannot control or predict it, so there is no reason to worry about what "might" happen.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Lone Wolf

Not much going on lately. I have just been watching tv and playing gta5 in my spare time.

I plan on finishing up my sunroof plug soon. I will use the lexan this time. I am not sure yet if I want to do it the same as before or just do it like they show in this link.

http://www.modified.com/projectcars/.../photo_19.html

Swain Tech has my headers. They said they don't coat the insides. Turn around time should be about 3 weeks because of holidays.

Headers probably won't be installed till January or later.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Lone Wolf

I found another item while researching.

http://www.armstrongdistributors.com/honda.html

ADUS 682 - Honda Accord Front Upper Control Arm Bushing Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive ADUS 682 - Honda Accord Front Upper Control Arm Bushing Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

http://store.lpdautoparts.com/9802--...shing9802.html

They are poly front upper control arm bushings for the 98-02 accord which has the same control arms as us and the 2nd gen tl.

So now I have provided info on the rr bushings, lca bushings, and upper control arm bushings.

I will order a set and install them in my spare control arms.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:35 PM
In search of excitement

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Damn man sorry to hear about all the problems with the headers, I am the same way with my car, always buying parts and then worrying about the install and over thinking things. I am confident it will work out for you! Im not sure what I am going to do about my header situation yet, as I really need headers to make doing anything else to my CL worth it. Which sucks
Old 12-13-2013, 04:51 PM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
$55 a bushing ?
Old 12-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by kingofdust
Damn man sorry to hear about all the problems with the headers, I am the same way with my car, always buying parts and then worrying about the install and over thinking things. I am confident it will work out for you! Im not sure what I am going to do about my header situation yet, as I really need headers to make doing anything else to my CL worth it. Which sucks
It matters what you are willing to do. You can try and find a set of used comptechs. You can buy the Chinese made ones and reinforce welds.
I used to only think that bolt on parts from name brand companies was the way to go, but have realized custom is the way to go always when dealing with intake and exhaust.

Originally Posted by mikebikelife
$55 a bushing ?
That price would be for 2 bushings, but you need 4 total. I found a site that sells all 4 for $65. I will post link later when I'm at my PC.
mikebikelife (12-15-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Lone Wolf

Here is the link mike. I believe that is for 4 bushings like the pic and description suggests but you might want to confirm that.

http://www.fcpimport.com/products/ho...l-fcp-pol682x2

So this is off-topic but, anytime I post in another sub-forum, mainly the 3rd gen tl side I get bashed and called an egotistical idiot. The funny thing is the 2 people calling me egotistic have the biggest ego's on this forum. I definitely don't have an ego problem. I think I am average at best.

I also have a troll that is watching my every move and commenting right after me in every thread I post besides this one. He only makes negative comments towards me and never discusses the thread topic(talk about sad).
It also seems if you have a different opinion then others they hate you for that.

I was thinking of taking a break from this forum for a few months and I think this stuff has sealed my decision. I will still read the forum but just avoid posting unless I put up a for sale thread.

You guys can still pm, text, or email me if you want updates or have questions.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
No offense, but ever since reading some of your posts in Ramblings I've chosen to follow your thread less and less each day.

Why is this such a surprise?
Old 12-16-2013, 03:12 PM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
I don't know what to say Brian , besides it's a little unfortunate. I learn a lot from you and this thread so I check up , but everyone has strong opinions . You hate that I like that stanced s2k , I don't really care . It doesn't bug me . I just keep on going .
Old 12-16-2013, 06:42 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT
No offense, but ever since reading some of your posts in Ramblings I've chosen to follow your thread less and less each day.

Why is this such a surprise?
I'll admit I am completely different from Ramblings as to how I am with the other sections of the forums. I try to provide everyone the absolute best answer I can give when it comes to questions/issues pertaining to the cars.

When it comes to ramblings however, I usually say something stupid and check on the responses months later for MY personal amusement. Although you may think you can tell a lot by someone based on responses in the Ramblings section, I wouldn't however use it as a basis to no listen to what that individual has to say/offer when it comes to car stuff. If you can learn a lot from this particular thread, then there's no reason not to follow it imo. But then again we're all different and I will respect your decisions on the manner.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cocoa:
civicdrivr (01-06-2014), TylerT (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 06:56 PM
2003 Acura CL-S6

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have followed this thread since I joined the forum. I have learned a whole about my car and got some insight on just about every mod possible from this thread. Thanks for all the help and updates, and screw what other people think or say. You have done amazing things with this car keep it up!
Old 12-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Turd Polisher

Originally Posted by Cocoa
I'll admit I am completely different from Ramblings as to how I am with the other sections of the forums. I try to provide everyone the absolute best answer I can give when it comes to questions/issues pertaining to the cars.

When it comes to ramblings however, I usually say something stupid and check on the responses months later for MY personal amusement. Although you may think you can tell a lot by someone based on responses in the Ramblings section, I wouldn't however use it as a basis to no listen to what that individual has to say/offer when it comes to car stuff. If you can learn a lot from this particular thread, then there's no reason not to follow it imo. But then again we're all different and I will respect your decisions on the manner.
I agree with your post 100% - however I sense that he feels as though he's a victim and wants to leave his thread due to the slightest bit of negative feedback from other posters - there's consequences for trolling and having ignorant blanket statements on other parts of the forum, even if it is Ramblings.

This thread is great and I respect the fact his car is in tip-top shape with insane sense of detail, track ready and actually goes to Auto-X events - not to mention how this thread has contributed to the 2G CL Community ...but I still stand by what I said in my first post.

Last edited by TylerT; 12-16-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:03 PM

Here is the link mike. I believe that is for 4 bushings like the pic and description suggests but you might want to confirm that.

http://www.fcpimport.com/products/ho...l-fcp-pol682x2

So this is off-topic but, anytime I post in another sub-forum, mainly the 3rd gen tl side I get bashed and called an egotistical idiot. The funny thing is the 2 people calling me egotistic have the biggest ego's on this forum. I definitely don't have an ego problem. I think I am average at best.

I also have a troll that is watching my every move and commenting right after me in every thread I post besides this one. He only makes negative comments towards me and never discusses the thread topic(talk about sad).
It also seems if you have a different opinion then others they hate you for that.

I was thinking of taking a break from this forum for a few months and I think this stuff has sealed my decision. I will still read the forum but just avoid posting unless I put up a for sale thread.

You guys can still pm, text, or email me if you want updates or have questions.
Don't take a break.
When you have a new post I always check in to see whats going on. Even if I'm not posting I enjoy what your doing with your car.
Fuck who ever is on your back man,Don't stop posting,post more.
civicdrivr (01-06-2014)
Old 12-17-2013, 08:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,391 Posts
Originally Posted by richardparker
Don't take a break.
When you have a new post I always check in to see whats going on. Even if I'm not posting I enjoy what your doing with your car.
Fuck who ever is on your back man,Don't stop posting,post more.
I'm with RP 100%.

I know what its like to be 'raked over the coals' by f*cktard fanboys. Information I posted (#162) with an intent to 'help' was flipped on me and became a huge clusterf*ck in the kangaroo court of AZ.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=842954&page=5

Do YOUR thing, and piss on the assclowns.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT
I agree with your post 100% - however I sense that he feels as though he's a victim and wants to leave his thread due to the slightest bit of negative feedback from other posters - there's consequences for trolling and having ignorant blanket statements on other parts of the forum, even if it is Ramblings.

This thread is great and I respect the fact his car is in tip-top shape with insane sense of detail, track ready and actually goes to Auto-X events - not to mention how this thread has contributed to the 2G CL Community ...but I still stand by what I said in my first post.
Agreed 100%. He posts so much negative postings in the ramblings and other forums that his reputation has gone to the toilet and he doesn't even know why. He plays off that he's a victim and yet brags that he has a personal chef, goes out for $100+ meals, posts racists comments, and acts like he knows more than everyone else.

Sooner or later that's going to catch up with you and that's where you lose reputation points on the forum. He's a well known troll by this point and every post in ramblings deals with 'murica', 'god and fate', or how/why people but himself are stupid.

I don't believe he will take a break, even from trolling.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Turd Polisher

Brian & 2G Community - my apologies for derailing this thread, I'm done with my rant.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Lone Wolf

It is funny you post some sarcastic comments and if you have a different opinion than others they call you a troll for it. No one is allowed to have their own opinions anymore.

Topspeed I am not a troll. You on the other hand are. I don't have a personal chef that is called sarcasm which you obviously don't get. It was in response to all the comments about if they only lived in a nicer neighborhood. I didn't know others were allowed to joke about it but I am not.

I will still mod and race my car but sadly I will not post on here anymore. I am sorry to all the good members who will miss out on reading rest of my thread.

I might still go to national meet in 2014 but not sure yet.

I am grateful to this community for helping me build my car for the last 12 years.

I will spend my time on other forums like grassroots motorsports and time attack, etc.

If you want updates just pm, email, or text me.

Can a mod please close this thread. I will be taking down the pictures shortly.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:42 PM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Ugh....sad how people from another forum section can ruin such an interesting & informative thread by of of few ORIGINAL cl owners/contributing member. This side of the forum is barely breathing as it is, which I get- the car is a dying platform.

But there are still the handful of us obsessive compulsive folk that still love these cars. Wish it wasn't so Brian, but I, for one, will continue to keep in touch on the other forums you mentioned. In the mean time PM me your #. I was excited to see you posting in this thread hoping for an update, but looks like you decided to go the other way. Speaking for all of us, we'll miss ya on this side
Old 01-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Turd Polisher

It is funny you post some sarcastic comments and if you have a different opinion than others they call you a troll for it. No one is allowed to have their own opinions anymore.

Topspeed I am not a troll. You on the other hand are. I don't have a personal chef that is called sarcasm which you obviously don't get. It was in response to all the comments about if they only lived in a nicer neighborhood. I didn't know others were allowed to joke about it but I am not.

I will still mod and race my car but sadly I will not post on here anymore. I am sorry to all the good members who will miss out on reading rest of my thread.

I might still go to national meet in 2014 but not sure yet.

I am grateful to this community for helping me build my car for the last 12 years.

I will spend my time on other forums like grassroots motorsports and time attack, etc.

If you want updates just pm, email, or text me.

Can a mod please close this thread. I will be taking down the pictures shortly.
Brian,

Sad to see you go, just don't forget to close the baby gate on your way out.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:42 AM
Racer

Bummer! We still need to keep in touch, as you have been very helpful to me as a new CL owner. Hope you do go to the 2014 Nats this year as it will be nice to catch up with you.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:15 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That steering wheel is sick! I want to get one!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:15 AM

Whats up with the swaintech my man.
You got to have the headers back by now.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,142 Likes on 4,809 Posts
If you really want them they are yours, but I doubt anyone will be willing to pay for them. I will sell them for 200 less than I paid but I have a feeling I am stuck with them.

I am starting to second guess this decision. After looking closer at the headers and my engine bay, I see no way to install these without completely removing the engine and subframe. Even then you might have to remove the engine from the subframe to even be able to mount them. On top of all that the alternator, a/c components, a/c fan, and more is in the way. I would probably have to do an a/c delete and maybe move alternator. Then I will have to extend oxygen sensor wires and remove all my bracing under the car. These headers seem to have been made only taking subframe clearance into account. All the engine accessories were not on the engine during mockup.

I wish I would have just decided to modify my comptech headers. I would have saved a lot if money, not have to do any of the above, and almost the same power.

I am going to keep my comptechs and modify them. Sorry to all the people wanting to buy them. Just not worth selling considering they are discontinued.
Originally Posted by gnuts
shit that sucks! I wish i could see more pictures of civics longtubes and how they differ from these. I don't think he had any issues with clearance although i'm sure they're tight.
Civics headers merged way higher up than these do. Similar to what the p2r headers looked like.

I am not sure if you would install it from below or above. You would have to remove components from engine to fit it from below. I am not sure from above because the piece is so long. It will come down to the angle. I think the rear section will be a hassle also.

These headers were made with only millimeters of clearance when installed. That makes getting them in position rather difficult.

Fox assures me he had the a/c compressor bracket on the engine during mockup, but I am still concerned the actual condenser might be in the way. If it does clear it must be by a few millimeters at most.

Fox is telling me I will only have to remove front subframe section, and radiator with fans.

Now I need to convince a shop I have never dealt with to build and install these for me. Need to think this thru.
Mine required the radiator and intermediate shaft to be removed in order to install the headers, but as you said, the collectors on mine were closer to the heads.

Originally Posted by Oldsman71
I think buying back a totaled car is always an option. You might want to investigate the price difference between liability only and full coverage(with a high deductible). If someone hits you their insurance will be who pays you (Unless they are scum of the earth and aren't carrying insurance). In any event, you cannot control or predict it, so there is no reason to worry about what "might" happen.
Buying back is great after an accident, assuming the valuable parts weren't damaged. However, if the car is stolen, you lose everything.

Originally Posted by kingofdust
I know someone selling headers