Yet another ticket for tint

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Scrib
5%!!!

The cops here in IN/IL would make you rip that shit off, right on the spot!!!
same thing happened to my buddy

hwy patrol cop told him "rip the shit off your windows now or car will be towed away"

told my buddy that when pulling over car with limo tints, they are afraid for their lives

can't blame them
Old 01-29-2003, 11:03 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Shawn S

Here’s a scenario for you:
It’s late in the day and raining and you’re pulling out from a side street.
Some Yahoo in a black car is approaching and you don’t see him through your closed (it’s raining remember) 5% window.
He doesn’t have his lights on because it’s not completely dark yet.
You pull out right in front of him and CRASH, right into your driver’s door.
NOT GOOD !!!

I know this is unlikely, but CAN happen.
And of course they’ll blame the accident on the tint and come down hard again on people with ANY tint on the sides.

Shawn S
Ive had rainy days just like that and Ive had no problems. No close calls because i couldn't see a car coming. Im not doubting that it can happen, i know it can. But of course ANYTHING can happen at any given time. That same scenario can happen to a person with 35% tint or with no tint at all. The only problem i have sometimes is seeing the lines out of my side mirrors, only at night. Plus its not as bad looking from the inside out as it is looking from the outside in.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Slooo97CL
how bout buy two new windows..swap em..go to court...pay nothing..swap them back...
Should i pay for these windows or just have my magic genie hook me up? :P
Old 01-29-2003, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

how bout buy two new windows..swap em..go to court...pay nothing..swap them back...
hahahaha... you're not serious?
I think It would cost less to strip the tint off and re tint...
Old 01-29-2003, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
i was kidding...its 55 to tint each window...how much is a new window?
Old 01-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Drifting

i was kidding...its 55 to tint each window...how much is a new window?
It cost me $150 to tint my car all around. I have no idea how much a new window is but im sure its up there. Im not taking the tint off. Does someone wanna loan me their un tinted silver CL so i can take it to court? :P
Old 01-29-2003, 11:37 AM
Safety Car

Marc, this is starting to be an expensive tint job. I remember you got a ticket last year and that was 94, now its another 104. What is this, inflation?

Dude, you just gotta pay it. Or you could request a court date and keep requesting to postpone until you return the car. Usually, a postponment could be of upto 3 months. So 2 postponments and you are all good.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:56 AM
Drifting

Yeah, ill agree it has become somewhat costly. 94 bones on the last one and 104 on this one. Thats the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Nothin i can do now. Im just gonna leave the tint on and try and keep my ass out of abington
Old 01-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Take that tint off right away and go to a % that's legal in your area.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:02 PM
Race Director

If you fuck up on the police's turf, they can pull you over out of jurisdiction. Don't fight that its not going to work.
Sorry dude, actually they can't legally.

Marc you cannot use the jurisdiction technicality in this case. But you can use the fact that your car was NOT in the place where the ticket mentioned. Clearly the cop marked another location in order to make the ticket valid. But that's cheating and that makes the ticket plain wrong. If you ask him in court "officer did you pull me over in Philadelphia and then write on the ticket that the violation took place in Ab?" and he says "Yes I did" which he will have to because the officer is not going to just plain lie in court, you tell the judge "well I was in Philly not in Ab when he ticketed me so the officer must be mistaken."
Old 01-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kensteele
Sorry dude, actually they can't legally.

Marc you cannot use the jurisdiction technicality in this case. But you can use the fact that your car was NOT in the place where the ticket mentioned. Clearly the cop marked another location in order to make the ticket valid. But that's cheating and that makes the ticket plain wrong. If you ask him in court "officer did you pull me over in Philadelphia and then write on the ticket that the violation took place in Ab?" and he says "Yes I did" which he will have to because the officer is not going to just plain lie in court, you tell the judge "well I was in Philly not in Ab when he ticketed me so the officer must be mistaken."
Of course this argument requires that one knows the borders of the given town better then the officer does. You better get a town survey map out to verify.

And, if you (MarcS) go to court, I wouldn't take your 5% tinted car with you. As you argue over technicalities of your citation, another cop (or even the judge) will probably go out and ticket your car in the court parking lot!
Old 01-29-2003, 10:35 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Slimey
Of course this argument requires that one knows the borders of the given town better then the officer does. You better get a town survey map out to verify.

And, if you (MarcS) go to court, I wouldn't take your 5% tinted car with you. As you argue over technicalities of your citation, another cop (or even the judge) will probably go out and ticket your car in the court parking lot!
Oh yeah forgot about this. Not all cities have all those boardaries well marked. When I see a cop that I think is out of the city, I tap my red triangle on the Navi and read the city. Even that is not 100% accurate but around here, the city bondaries are usually clear...certainly the state line is.

For the record, I'm with you on this tint thing. In this case I'm against the cop methods, but I'm not defending that 5% tint. Way way too dark.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:47 PM
Darth Chocolate

The laws vary from state to state, but in KY, many of the small town and university police actually have county-wide jurisdiction. They may even have statewide jurisdiction, but I didn't find any info. supporting that. The town limits may not be the end of his jurisdiction. If you really want to argue that point, you'd definitely want a lawyer who knows for sure how it works in your area.

I've been pulled over before by a neighborhood cop who was at least five miles from his neighborhood. No ticket, though.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:01 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Sypher
The laws vary from state to state, but in KY, many of the small town and university police actually have county-wide jurisdiction. They may even have statewide jurisdiction, but I didn't find any info. supporting that. The town limits may not be the end of his jurisdiction. If you really want to argue that point, you'd definitely want a lawyer who knows for sure how it works in your area.

I've been pulled over before by a neighborhood cop who was at least five miles from his neighborhood. No ticket, though.
Interested point. And I think you got it right, exactly. Unless there has been some extra-jurisdiction authority granted....

Here's a court case out of New England that talks about this specifically. For those who don't care to read the whole thing, a quick excerpt:

Discussion. A police officer lacks authority outside his jurisdiction to stop and investigate the operation of a motor vehicle unless permitted to do so by provision of statute or the common law. See Commonwealth v. Savage, 430 Mass. 341, 346 (1999) (Vermont State trooper, who crossed into Massachusetts, had no power, as either an officer or a private citizen, to stop and arrest for OUI a Massachusetts driver traveling from Vermont where the officer was neither in fresh pursuit of the driver nor sworn in as a special officer in the Massachusetts town where the stop and arrest occurred). Here, however, Officer Werner was authorized to stop the defendant outside his jurisdiction because the town of East Bridgewater had previously sworn him in as a special police officer, thus conferring upon him police powers in that town. See G.L. c. 41, § 99, as appearing in St.1965, c. 382 (permitting a city or town to specially designate police officers from "any other city or town ... who shall have the authority of ... police officers within the limits of such city or town ... and, while exercising such authority within such limits, shall have the same immunities and privileges as when acting within their respective cities and towns")......
Old 01-30-2003, 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best thing for him to do is pay the fine.
I would not make a big deal out of this he is wrong by having the 5% tint on the car. What might happen if he fights this & wins or does not his car will become a target by the police.
If he does not take the tint off they may target & ticket him again in a weeks time.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:29 PM
Meat Popsicle

I'd be really careful about telling a judge his/her buisness. Once you start crying about the where the cop pulled you over, they may get nasty. If that happened, and I was the cop, I'd tell the judge that I hit my lights at the position indicated on the ticket, and since your tint was obstructing the view, you didn't pull over till the next town. I was just cutting the guy some slack your honor.

Since your tint is unlawfull, I am not sure why you expect to get away with this anyway. You should pay the fine and get a safe tint level on your car.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:49 PM
__

Originally posted by Marc S
Yeah, ill agree it has become somewhat costly. 94 bones on the last one and 104 on this one. Thats the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Nothin i can do now. Im just gonna leave the tint on and try and keep my ass out of abington
Um don't you live in Abington? How often do u drive your car? Don't u get pulled over often?

And if u are unsure about the city line, as Slimey pointed out, tell me the exact place u were pulled over and I can give u a second opinion....although I believe u are right. That intersection connects 3 townships...Abington, Cheltenham and Philadelphia...