Word of advise for CLS owners.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001 | 03:46 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Word of advise for CLS owners.......

After attempting "twice" to order new rubber for my CLS thru www.tirerack.com, I caution you "THEY WILL NOT SELL YOU ANY TIRE OTHER THAN THE SIZE IT CAME WITH" ! They declined me on two separate attempts ! Waste of huge time. Don't tell them what kind of car you have if you want anything in the 225/45/17 range !
Good luck !
Old 11-14-2001 | 04:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

I never had that problem. I bought alot of different size tires. Some not OEM size. Is this a new policy?
Old 11-14-2001 | 04:37 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Why in the hell would they care? Thanks for the info.
Old 11-14-2001 | 04:50 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Yes, apparently it is farely new.
Situation:
Customers were told they couldn't sell the tires (Tire Rack), so customer, goes to Costco. They sell em and intall em........Later that customer is hauling ass in Arizona in temp. around 100 degrees, has 4 people in car ! Tires goes BOOM and 3 people die. The living victim, contacts slick ass attorney and sues Costco and wins 8.5 million settlement. Reason: Load rating issue ! I've tried everything ! They have to know what kind of car ! I fibbed the second time and they caught it. Once in person, he asked what kind of car ? Acura CLS......"Quote: Policy will not allow me to sell those tires......" Watch what you tell the idiots ! So the net of is, my "local" shop WILL GET MY BUSINESS AND FUCK TIRERACK !
iDIOTS !
Old 11-14-2001 | 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Fabvsix
Yes, apparently it is farely new.
Situation:
Customers were told they couldn't sell the tires (Tire Rack), so customer, goes to Costco. They sell em and intall em........Later that customer is hauling ass in Arizona in temp. around 100 degrees, has 4 people in car ! Tires goes BOOM and 3 people die. The living victim, contacts slick ass attorney and sues Costco and wins 8.5 million settlement. Reason: Load rating issue ! I've tried everything ! They have to know what kind of car ! I fibbed the second time and they caught it. Once in person, he asked what kind of car ? Acura CLS......"Quote: Policy will not allow me to sell those tires......" Watch what you tell the idiots ! So the net of is, my "local" shop WILL GET MY BUSINESS AND FUCK TIRERACK !
iDIOTS !
just tell them you have aftermarket rims that call for the tires you want from them.

if someone got 18" aftermarket rims on his cl-s, tirerack would still make them get 17" tires?
Old 11-14-2001 | 05:25 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I am an honest person. I told them the truth. I don't run my business by lying. They are total jackasses as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-14-2001 | 05:39 PM
Burning Brakes

They are protecting themselves. I was going to put on YOKO 225/45/17 and the TIRE MANUFACTURER SAID NO!!!

The vehicle exceeded the load rating.

By the way If you go to 235/45/17 you will maintain a closer tire diameter and not mess with VSA or speedo even though very minor.
Old 11-14-2001 | 05:49 PM
Banned

If they only sell OEM sized tires, then what are they doing with their 22" tires.

I think it is a load rating issue more than size.
Old 11-14-2001 | 06:17 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Did you guys NOT read my message....."LOAD RATE ISSUE" is the reason !
Old 11-14-2001 | 06:20 PM
Banned

IT'S ALL FORD'S FAULT....SHITTY EXPLORERS!!! No one gave a shit about load rating a few years ago....
Old 11-14-2001 | 06:25 PM
Banned

"THEY WILL NOT SELL YOU ANY TIRE OTHER THAN THE SIZE IT CAME WITH"
I did read your message, chief. I was responding to this statement.
Old 11-14-2001 | 06:27 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Eye eye Captain ........
Old 11-14-2001 | 06:29 PM
Race Director

I am an honest person. I told them the truth. I don't run my business by lying. They are total jackasses as far as I'm concerned.
Yes, that's right. They are jackasses for not selling you $500 worth of tires in exchange for the risk of a $million lawsuit.

Perhaps if they asked you to sign a waiver/release form prior to purchase (which would be silly on your part), would you agree?

That's what I thought......
Old 11-14-2001 | 06:33 PM
Senior Moderator

If there is a certain wheel or tire you like, Tirerack will say what car it goes on, tell them you have that car...
Old 11-14-2001 | 06:38 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by synth19
If there is a certain wheel or tire you like, Tirerack will say what car it goes on, tell them you have that car...
That's what they need (as noted on the invoice or in the records) to help absolve them of the negligence (which is the killer piece in the whole lawsuit thingy).
Old 11-14-2001 | 07:46 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Ken,
I understand where you are coming from. But how do they know I'm not a rich wierdo, who hangs tires on my walls in the many homes I have ? Why is it there business what the crap I do with "my" tires ? I understand the legal side of it. I'm NOT TRYING TO PUT 10 LBS. OF CRAP IN A 5LB. BAG, then I would understand their concern ! So why do local est. shops gladly sell the tire, install them ? BECAUSE you work with people face to face and NOT OVER THE INTERNET ! NO substance, face to face quality over the internet.......know what I mean......? So I'll just have to pay the extra money for the same tires.......
What a shame.....
Old 11-14-2001 | 10:17 PM
Learn to swim.

I'm not too sure I see what you guys are complaining about, if what I do understand is correct then I would have to agree with the denial of sale. These companies are defending themselves from pissy consumers who -because they know how to check the oil- think they know enough about tires to select the proper size and capacity for their vehicle. This consumer then cries like a baby and sues the seller or manufactuer when a tire blows and sends the vehicle into the ditch or oncoming traffic.

So let me get this straight; you are angry because they would not sell you a set of tires that are incapable of handling the load of your car? Even after this story that has been quoted of three people dying due to improper tire replacement? How much sense does that make? These people want you to buy tires, if they are serious about not letting you then I would imagine there is a tangible reason. Find out before you just go through with this replacement, it might save your ass.

Oh yeah, and then there's this part:
"I've tried everything ! They have to know what kind of car ! I fibbed the second time and they caught it."

"I am an honest person. I told them the truth. I don't run my business by lying."

Old 11-14-2001 | 10:32 PM
Race Director

Ken,
I understand where you are coming from. But how do they know I'm not a rich wierdo, who hangs tires on my walls in the many homes I have ? Why is it there business what the crap I do with "my" tires ? I understand the legal side of it. I'm NOT TRYING TO PUT 10 LBS. OF CRAP IN A 5LB. BAG, then I would understand their concern ! So why do local est. shops gladly sell the tire, install them ? BECAUSE you work with people face to face and NOT OVER THE INTERNET ! NO substance, face to face quality over the internet.......know what I mean......? So I'll just have to pay the extra money for the same tires.......
What a shame.....
It has nothing to do with the actual sale of the tires. If you say you have an Acura and they sell you tires that are not for an Acura, they could be liable. They are just limiting their liability in terms of negligence by saying "we don't sell tires to..." That will help them in the liability lawsuit and helps focus on the tire manufacturer to blame instead of the seller.

As for you local shops, I'm thinking they don't have a lawyer on retainer....yet. Because if they put those tires on and something happens...
Old 11-17-2001 | 02:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Hmmm...

If you want to go with 225/45-17s, the Toyo T1s has a load rating of 95 XL. The stock tire's rating is 93 XL. You can change yourself, but you can't change TireRack.

If you still want the S-03s, why not just tell them it is for your BMW? (They will make note of this *and* you have now officially absolved them of any responsibility.)

Don't mention the car -- the load rating of the S-03s in 91 in a 225/45-17 and 93 in the 235/45-17.

A place called TireDepot.com carries the Toyos for $160.00 and is in the back of the most recent Road & Track.

As I mentioned, if you ever had an accident, even if you were drunk and on drugs, there is the "deep pockets" and contributory negligence involved in tire transactions. TireRack is a big store and has big deep pockets. If you tell them, "Hey I want the S-03s for my Acura CL-S, they are NOT going to sell them to you because they are selling a tire with a below spec load rating.

If you don't mention the car (or tell them you are now talking about your mythical BMW, you should be ok)...

(You would be surprised how many people change there tune when something bad happens and they don't want to take responsibility -- welcome to a litigious world and its consequences...)
Old 11-17-2001 | 09:12 AM
www.drippinwet.com

why becuase they want to protect themselves from a lawsuite?
grow up.