windows tinted yesterday, 29 degrees and snowing today.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004 | 09:59 AM
Race Director

windows tinted yesterday, 29 degrees and snowing today.

so is my tint gonna be fucked?

local weather forecasters DID NOT predict this shit.
Old 04-04-2004 | 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

tint won't be fucked, just don't lower the window's for a few days...I dont see how the temperature would impact the windows since the tint is in the inside of the car. What % did you do? post pics..I think you said 20% in another thread? Any streaking issues on the windows? Dealer took care of mine months back....
Old 04-04-2004 | 10:46 AM
Race Director

synth i think it was shawn s but someone posted here that if the water under the tint freezes before it fully dries (5 days or so after install) you'll get air bubbles.

i got 20% all around. i never did the tsb for the streaking...too paranoid about the dealer taking my doors apart. i'll just have to keep wiping the crap off. ill post pics later this week.
Old 04-04-2004 | 11:14 AM
GEEZER

Old 04-04-2004 | 11:30 AM
registered pw

if you can store the car somewhere where it is above 40 for the next fewdays you may be ok.

or take a hair dryer to the tint and that may help to dry quicker
Old 04-04-2004 | 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by zeroday
i never did the tsb for the streaking...

Listen closely...after about 7 days (since the weather is cold).. spray both sides of your window..Soak them... then push the button and let the window go all the way down/open.... Take a rag or paper towels and CLEAN the WEATHER stripping very well.. You will notice alot of black dirt.. make sure to remove all of it before putting the window back up... this should fix your problem..

Remember use a non-amonia (sp?) window cleaner.

Smitty
Old 04-04-2004 | 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Nah, no big deal...dealer took care of it. No problems after that.

synth i think it was shawn s but someone posted here that if the water under the tint freezes before it fully dries (5 days or so after install) you'll get air bubbles.

i got 20% all around. i never did the tsb for the streaking...too paranoid about the dealer taking my doors apart. i'll just have to keep wiping the crap off. ill post pics later this week.
Old 04-04-2004 | 12:09 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Smitty

Listen closely...after about 7 days (since the weather is cold).. spray both sides of your window..Soak them... then push the button and let the window go all the way down/open.... Take a rag or paper towels and CLEAN the WEATHER stripping very well.. You will notice alot of black dirt.. make sure to remove all of it before putting the window back up... this should fix your problem..

Remember use a non-amonia (sp?) window cleaner.

Smitty
forgot which site i was posting on i guess. sorry i should have explained better...the 03' 350z had a manufacturing defect that transferred grease from the window rollers/guides to the window surface. caused persistent vertical streaks of grease on the windows. it's not very noticeable which is why i decided not to do the tsb fix from nissan.

thanks for the good tip anyhow smitty
Old 04-04-2004 | 12:11 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by 1killercls
Que?
Old 04-04-2004 | 12:40 PM
GEEZER

Que?
The temps up there...too cold for April my friend.
Old 04-04-2004 | 11:41 PM
///M POWER

any pics of the ride tinted up??
Old 04-05-2004 | 05:38 AM
Team Owner

I just heard they’re calling for a low of 20-degrees for overnight tonight.
I’d make sure that car is inside for that time period.
The car should really be kept above freezing for 5-6 days minimum because there is still water between the tint & glass.
Like posted above, if it freezes you’ll get air bubbles.

Shawn S
Old 04-05-2004 | 06:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Dont worry about it unless you didnt go to a place with a lifetime warrenty.
Old 04-05-2004 | 08:43 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by Shawn S
I just heard they’re calling for a low of 20-degrees for overnight tonight.
I’d make sure that car is inside for that time period.
The car should really be kept above freezing for 5-6 days minimum because there is still water between the tint & glass.
Like posted above, if it freezes you’ll get air bubbles.

Shawn S
The car is in the garage now and i won't be driving it for at least a week. I'm hoping it'll be ok; it's not a heated garage. I do have a lifetime warranty against bubbling etc so I'm not too worried I suppose. This shit pisses me off though; everyone I tallked to about getting the tint done was like NO WAY is it gonna get cold again you should be fine...then the DAY after it's snowing and 20 degrees out. Typical of my luck with cars.

I'll post pics of my bubbled ass tint job next weekend. :o
Old 04-05-2004 | 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

stop being a girl. I had mine done in the same type of weather and mine came out fine.
Old 04-05-2004 | 08:49 AM
Racer

quicky question about tint, bcuz i just got mine tinted friday...do aftermarket places that do tinting cover the brakelight area ? I heard other than the dealer, that they normally dont cover the area where the brakelight is because they have to take down the whole panel top get to it.
Old 04-05-2004 | 08:56 AM
Team Owner

The car is in the garage now and i won't be driving it for at least a week. I'm hoping it'll be ok; it's not a heated garage. I
You should be OK.
Even if it’s not heated, the garage gets some heat from the adjoining structure.
If you’re worried about tonight, just leave the garage lights on or put 2 lamps in there by the car if you want some extra heat.

My garage is detached from the house and has a manual heating system.
Even with that turned OFF it still stays 10-15 degrees warmer then outside.
This morning it was 28-degrees outside and inside the garage it was 36.

I saw some cars at work this morning with an inch of SNOW on the roof that drove down from up in the Pocono area.
Old 04-05-2004 | 08:58 AM
Racer

quicky question about tint, bcuz i just got mine tinted friday...do aftermarket places that do tinting cover the brakelight area ? I heard other than the dealer, that they normally dont cover the area where the brakelight is because they have to take down the whole panel top get to it.
Old 04-05-2004 | 09:05 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by sushimaster
Depends on the place. Be sure to find this out before you drop the car off.
My place couldn’t guarantee a bubble-free job by the brake light area unless I removed the rear parcel shelf.
So I took it out the day before I dropped the car off and it came out great.
Some places will say they can do it, but there’s really no way to get the “squeegee” down there with the light housing in the way so it’s hit or miss.

In PA it’s supposedly a 10,000 dollar fine for covering the brake light, even if you have the other one in the spoiler.
The theory is a future owner could remove the spoiler or not replace it after an accident and then the car would be a safety hazard.

I say to that.
Old 04-05-2004 | 09:07 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by sushimaster
my brake light is tinted over..sounds pretty ghetto to tint around it IMO. The tint should just slide underneath it I would think?
Old 04-05-2004 | 09:44 AM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Originally posted by Shawn S
Depends on the place. Be sure to find this out before you drop the car off.
My place couldn’t guarantee a bubble-free job by the brake light area unless I removed the rear parcel shelf.
So I took it out the day before I dropped the car off and it came out great.
Some places will say they can do it, but there’s really no way to get the “squeegee” down there with the light housing in the way so it’s hit or miss.

In PA it’s supposedly a 10,000 dollar fine for covering the brake light, even if you have the other one in the spoiler.
The theory is a future owner could remove the spoiler or not replace it after an accident and then the car would be a safety hazard.

I say to that.
TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 04-05-2004 | 10:15 AM
Suzuka Master

PA is retarded when it comes to some things, but in NJ a car wont pass inspection with the brake light tinted, even if there is a spoiler on it.