This will be Cool!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2001 | 10:35 PM
Suzuka Master

This will be Cool!!

I left this morning for Shelbyville, TN to start up a new system. The system is at Calsonic North America who has various divisions dealing in the OEM automotive environment. They manufacture various items like radiators; blower and automatic climate control systems, and exhaust system for Honda/Acura, Nissan, Toyota/Lexus, GM Ford, etc. In addition to manufacturing they are one of the premier testing facilities of products, burst test, fatigue tests, etc. They even get products from other manufacturers to stress them and then analysis the results.

As such, for the last 15 years, we have been working on the data acquisition side of many test system they have done. This is what brought me here this time, a catalytic converter heat cycle test stand.

We are providing a burner system with controls and a PC interface, everything but fixturing. It will cycle the converter internals between 800 degrees C and 100 degrees C in four-minute increments over many days. Needless to say there is significant checks in both the hardware and software, kind of a liability nightmare.

Now with all that said, I am getting to the point which the above helps to provide an understanding of how cool this will be.

While setting up the PC and wiring up the control, there was a row of complete exhaust systems right next to the test cell. There are large tags on them so I took a stroll. I'm reading various one's, 2000 Dodge Neon, 2000 Lexus RX300, 2000 Lexus ES300, 2000 Ford Taurus, and... 2000 Acura TL... The full exhaust including the A-pipe with cut outs all over it. Basically cut out pieces and check the integrity. Right next to it was a 2000 Nissan Maxima, which looked like crap, compared to the TL. I'm talking about the design of it, not condition, very small piping with crude bends. So I’m looking over the TL system, particularly the A-Pipe getting an idea of which bolts are going to be the hard ones to get to during my Saturday header install. Also, those are big mufflers with multiple chamber and levels.

But it doesn't stop there...

So we begin some of the initial test and one of the managers walks up and asks who's Acura was in the parking lot. I replied that it was mine and did I need to move it, Nope... Did something happen to it, Nope... Well what is it?? He asked me if I was going to be around tomorrow, which I said I was.

He proceeds to ask me if they can do testing on it. Not destructive but high speed runs on the street (test course) to monitor db levels from the exhaust and then also strap it on their in-house dyno for some more sound level tests. I said that I would allow it if only I can be involved.

I never got the clear picture on why this is so immediate, but it has something to do with Honda Japan needing this data and also about how Calsonic is or will be building these for Honda/Acura.

So, my car will be loaded up with numerous acoustic sensors along with some B&K db analysis equipment (possibly a few other things) and run down the track at 100 MPH with someone outside to measure the external sound as it passes by. Then put on the dyno and more tests performed in varying load and speed issues.

This will be fun, I mean I've been into many cool manufacturing environments but never as closely involved with something I enjoy doing.

If I get back at a reasonable time tomorrow night I'll report all that occurred. I will try and get copies of some of the test data if possible and post it. Otherwise it'll be Friday morning when I'll visit the forum. I've done many test system for various industries, many automotive (none for Bridgestone though, JK). But this will be beyond fun, being involved in actual factory testing of my own car...

BTW, the burner system will be running tomorrow on a converter. Today was just open air testing, but we ended up with a short flamethrower. A one foot blue flame shooting from the end of the supply pipe holding a steady temperature just over 1200 degrees C.
Old 01-24-2001 | 10:54 PM
Senior Moderator

cool

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeR
Sundance Platinum
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
Old 01-24-2001 | 11:20 PM
Pro

Awesome Scalbert! Keep us informed.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 01-24-2001 | 11:23 PM
Suzuka Master

We want details *and* more details!!!

Enquiring minds want to know...

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ Navi.
Mud Guards.
Wheel locks
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W*
T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
Old 01-24-2001 | 11:40 PM
Safety Car

DAMN! Ask if you can take a camcorder and record the runs! Sounds great though...keep us posted definitely!

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, hiper/piaa bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, and AEM CAI.
Old 01-25-2001 | 03:11 AM
Senior Moderator

That's extremely cool! Are they going to compensate you for the use of your car?

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-25-2001 | 05:56 AM
Drifting

Sounds really interesting. Keep us posted.

------------------
True Hip-hop junkie
Old 01-25-2001 | 09:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike:
That's extremely cool! Are they going to compensate you for the use of your car?

</font>
Try to hit them up for something! and have a blast also.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 01-25-2001 | 10:14 AM
Instructor

Isn't science great? Which Acura do you have?

------------------
2001 CL Type S.
No spoiler. No NAV either. No fat chics.
no "phat" chics either.
Old 01-25-2001 | 11:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

You're the man Scal. :-)

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 01-25-2001 | 12:20 PM
Drifting

WOW!!

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
red CL-S, non-Nav
Old 01-25-2001 | 12:30 PM
Banned

Nice! that will be an awesome experience! Keep us posted on what takes place!

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 35% tint[*] fenderwell trim , mud guards[*] winter floor mats , full nose mask
Old 01-25-2001 | 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Steve, do you know if they've tested with other auto manufacturers? It would be interesting to compare the results if they're available.
Old 01-26-2001 | 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

</font>
Nope, we have been working with them for years and have a good relationship.
Old 01-26-2001 | 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuckyCL:
Isn't science great? Which Acura do you have?

</font>
CL Type-S, metallic pumpkin
Old 01-26-2001 | 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Steve, do you know if they've tested with other auto manufacturers? It would be interesting to compare the results if they're available.</font>
They have tested almost every since make and model out htere. They determine the benchmark for almost all Japanese and Domestic brands. They are the one's who design the systems for the manufacturers flow and sound specifications.

They had an event back in the '80s, totaled (not their fault, brakes went our during testing) one of three prototype ZR-1 Corvettes. One million each...
Old 01-26-2001 | 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok, here is what happened. They didn't have time to do high-speed runs or performance dyno testing. But promised to get this on my next trip there which should be in the next few weeks.

What they did was put it up on the lift and had several engineers examine it. They took detailed pictures, basically mapping out the entire under-carriage, which they will format together for a final single picture. I have been promised a copy of this.

But the interesting part was next. They hooked up numerous sound equipment along with various things like tack readings, etc. They then took it to the dyno, but as mentioned not for performance (HP and Torque charts although you could see instantaneous readings). They hooked it up and ran it for sound readings.

They did three types of tests with three tests each averaged together. They are doing high speed sampling of 3 sound channels, the sampling rate is right around 1mHz each channel, one million samples a second. The tests were as follows, 50MPH cruise, 1k to 6k revs WOT acceleration runs and 6k - 1k revs decel runs. Once the run was made and data collected the computer would analyze the information and create three charts, standard dba SPL readings, 3rd and 6th Order readings. The basic info is simple to understand, this is what you hear and can be made up of engine (intake, drivetrain, etc.) and exhaust sounds. The 3rd and 6th Orders are a bit more difficult. But the simple way they explained it, is the 3rd order is the firing of the cylinders. The 6th order is the 1st harmonic of the 3rd order. Just fyi for those who missed some engineering classes, the 1st harmonic of a wave form is basically the first wave within the primary wave. Think of a simple sine wave and now include a small sine wave following within the primary one.

What does it all mean to them, I have no clue but the run post analysis on the data to look at other things such as the frequency levels vs. dba vs. RPM etc. I'll get that info next trip.

Anyway, I have the charts for each microphone and will scan them in later. But there were some interesting things that appear. At 3k revs there is a very noticeable sound level increase which I have never noticed. It is more prominent than the opening of the IMRC (which I normally don't hear but was obvious on the chart) and the VTEC changeover. The 3rd order chart really shows the IMRC and VTEC. But that 3k thing is very usual. They are going to investigate this with Honda and will provide me with feedback.

One other interesting note, the right tail pipe is louder than the left, by about an average of 3 - 5 dba. Possibly by design??

As for power, the highest torque reading I observed was 206 lb/ft at about 5800 revs. What does this translate into HP, 227 observed FWHP. Now I say observed because this is not SAE corrected. The runs were made on an outside dyno with the temps in the mid 30's, not sure about baro and humidity but I bet humidity was low and baro high. So I'm guessing the actual SAE corrected HP number would be about 3% - 5% lower. So maybe around 217, this is with the AEM intake, not stock. Which sounds about right where it should be.

Oh also, the first thing the guy running the test said was and I quote: "That thing sounds like a friggin race car!!"

Now on to the reason it was tested, it was two fold. First off is that Calsonic will be building the CL/TL exhaust system for Honda/Acura. That is why they looked it over in detail and took the pictures. BTW, even the A-pipe is a little different. The mechanical prints showed slight differences and they have different part numbers, just FYI.

But here is the kicker, the other reason for the tests, particularly the sound tests was that Nissan is designing the new, higher HP Maxima to sound just like the CL!! We knew it sounded great, but apparently other manufacturers think so much of it they want to copy it...

That is it for now. I'll have the scans later and then more information in the next couple of weeks.

But doesn't anyone want to know how our burner system went?? JK...
Old 01-26-2001 | 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by scalbert:

But here is the kicker, the other reason for the tests, particularly the sound tests was that Nissan is designing the new, higher HP Maxima to sound just like the CL!! We knew it sounded great, but apparently other manufacturers think so much of it they want to copy it...

</font>
That's very cool! I've always said that the sound of this car is one of my favorite things about it.

Thanks for the report, scalbert. We'll look forward to your next one!!
Old 01-26-2001 | 12:48 PM
Adult Supervision

Scalbert,

That is soo cool. Problem is I'm an econ major and have no clue what the heck you're taking about. I will need to read this about ten times.

See if you can get some contact names from them from Acura so that we on this board can contact Acura CL product mgmt to give them our real world feedback...

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, Road Salt Finish by Mass DOT, only 1 scratched rim
Old 01-26-2001 | 01:07 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Steve, that's awesome stuff

took me a bit to understand all of it, but I think I get it now...I really like the sound of our car too, but I can't believe Nissan is spending lots of money just to make their new Maxima sound like the CL-S...that is some funny shit

btw: how did your flamethrower work?

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, goodridge braided brake lines, full kicker system
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks
Old 01-26-2001 | 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Astroboy:
btw: how did your flamethrower work?

</font>
heheh, Thanks for asking. It didn't... They were supposed to of had 4 - 5 PSI of Gas pressure but had only 0.5. So we couldn't bring up the airflow enough to blow through the converter without blowing out the flame front. We were able to make one end glow, it was at about 900 degrees C.
Old 01-26-2001 | 02:41 PM
Pro

All hail King Scalbert.. sounds cool.. thanx for sharing the info. =O)

------------------
2001 Satin silver CL-S
* no navi, spoiler, mudguards
* wheel locks, full front mask
* fenderwell and door trim
* soon Comptech springs and sways
* 5% tint rear side, back