Why get underdrive pulleys instead of non-underdrive.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So using all of you guy's logic, you can experience horsepower gains from a lightweight flywheel, or rear-end gears (obviously not in a CL or TL). Don't think so...

Zoltanh, you may ignore my posting if you please. But, be advised that it is not incorrect. Less drag on the motor does not equate to horsepower gains. Same thing as lightweight flywheel of rear-end gears. It is easier for the motor to operate. I would like to see some actual dyno numbers before and after...

I'm not saying that putting on these pulleys is a bad thing or you won't experience gains. Just not horsepower. Your car WILL run stronger. I had pulleys on my mustang. I WILL tell you that the air conditioner never cooled the same again. It would start to blow hot air in traffic or stop lights until you started to move again.

Also, I had 800RMS of power in the mustang and pulleys never effected power output. Maybe there is a difference in alternator output, but mine ran fine.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ATownTXType-S
So using all of you guy's logic, you can experience horsepower gains from a lightweight flywheel, or rear-end gears (obviously not in a CL or TL). Don't think so...

Zoltanh, you may ignore my posting if you please. But, be advised that it is not incorrect. Less drag on the motor does not equate to horsepower gains. Same thing as lightweight flywheel of rear-end gears. It is easier for the motor to operate. I would like to see some actual dyno numbers before and after...

I'm not saying that putting on these pulleys is a bad thing or you won't experience gains. Just not horsepower. Your car WILL run stronger. I had pulleys on my mustang. I WILL tell you that the air conditioner never cooled the same again. It would start to blow hot air in traffic or stop lights until you started to move again.

Also, I had 800RMS of power in the mustang and pulleys never effected power output. Maybe there is a difference in alternator output, but mine ran fine.
how can your car run stronger w/o gaining power...your an idiot so stop now...the reality is that you're not so much gaining hp ,but instead you loosing less hp through drivtrain losses...i.e rotational mass ,drag,blah ,blah...fact is you will dyno more hp to the ground with LW pulleys period...about 10/10
Old 08-22-2005, 02:01 PM
I need a Hybrid CL-S

Originally Posted by Smitty

u guys R pissing off Mikey Tuttel.....

I know you knew the answer, so I do not know why you put yourself through 2 pages of torture..
I didnt know that using the underdrive pulley only nets you 15% extra hp. I thought most of the power from the underdrive pullies came from the underdriving, but now that i know that is not the case, my question has been answered. Im sure the arguing will continue though.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

http://www.teamscr.com/pulleys.htm
http://www.dcr.net/~hensley/page7.html

There is a good article on testing of pulleys. With taking the pulleys completely off (no accessories), they netted 3 HP on a dyno. They figured with underdirve pulleys, they would net 20% of that or .6 HP. So what would the gain be with JUST lightweight pulleys?!?!? I know a Saturn does not put out the power stock that a 3.2-S does, but at most you're looking at 1HP down with light weight pulleys

So long story short, you were right and I was wrong, you can get power. All 1 of it.

BTY, TypeR your the idiot, there are many of many ways for a car to run stronger without adding power (e.g. lighter flywheel, light rotating assembly, so forth). Then you say I'm wrong for stating there won't be horsepower gains and you say "your an idiot so stop now...the reality is that you're not so much gaining hp." I thought I said you wouldn't gain horsepower...So we agree? You should moderate something and stop calling people idiots you agree with...
Old 08-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Intermediate

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/framed...orsepower.html

That is a very useful article. Like did you know that at 5252 RPM the horsepower and toruque are always equivalent? Anyways, after more research, I found that horsepower is derived from tourque. In fact, Dynos measure tourque, not HP, and calculate HP.

As for the HP gains from pulleys, it is so minimal if any, that it is more than likely due to some other variable, like outside temperature of humidity between runs. As for power gains from pulleys, you probably would experience gains from them. Like TypeR said, you would lessen the loss of power through the drivetrain (i.e. lose less power from Crank to wheels). However, that hardly be considered MAKING horsepower, but rather RETAINING horsepower (or something likw that).

As for the underdrive negatives, I have realized that underdrive may actually positively affect accessories by slowing them down while driving and thereby extending life of them. Yeah they will suck at stop-lights and traffic, but at least you won't tear them up at 7000RPM.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

some info from an experienced user: get whichever is cheaper, only if you never plan to SC the car. the underdriving will not affect anything drastically. if your car is old/too many miles and you are worried something might break, dont get either pulley! lol
Old 08-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
this thread...
Old 08-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Sun Diego CL-S
so to get the gains mentioned above, you have to buy only the Ultra S underdrive crank pulley, the underdrive pulley set, or all of these together?
Most of the gains are in the crank pulley. The lightened accessory pulleys do help reduce some parasitic drag, but they are mostly for show. The power is in the crank.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/framed...orsepower.html

That is a very useful article. Like did you know that at 5252 RPM the horsepower and toruque are always equivalent? Anyways, after more research, I found that horsepower is derived from tourque. In fact, Dynos measure tourque, not HP, and calculate HP.

As for the HP gains from pulleys, it is so minimal if any, that it is more than likely due to some other variable, like outside temperature of humidity between runs. As for power gains from pulleys, you probably would experience gains from them. Like TypeR said, you would lessen the loss of power through the drivetrain (i.e. lose less power from Crank to wheels). However, that hardly be considered MAKING horsepower, but rather RETAINING horsepower (or something likw that).

As for the underdrive negatives, I have realized that underdrive may actually positively affect accessories by slowing them down while driving and thereby extending life of them. Yeah they will suck at stop-lights and traffic, but at least you won't tear them up at 7000RPM.
...light weight fly wheel will also produce more wheel horse power period...so to will lighter wheels on any dyno that measures horse power at the wheels all of these items are strains on the motors acctual power making it to the ground...thats why turbos and super chargers and nitrous are called power ADDERS the rest are really just releasing the power thats really already there at the source,with few exceptions like maybe tunning,but one could see how subjective that can be as well...fact is the UR under drive crank will add about 10/10 to the CL-S wheels...the only thing i can imagine you could do to a car that will make it feel faster w/o having more hp/tq to the ground is loosing non rotational mass and even the better dynos like a mustang dyno will show that as a gain in power
Old 08-23-2005, 12:31 PM
I need FI

:whocares:

I'm getting the UR pulley no matter what.. people on this forum have had it for over 24 months with no problems
Old 08-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

TypeR, or anyone, show me some actual dyno number with and without the underdrive or lightweight pulleys. I do not believe you will get 10hp to the wheels. Same as I do not believe a K&N replacement is good for 15hp (or whatever the box says). One forum I saw showed some numbers on a LT1 Camaro, net gain 4 to the wheels.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:51 PM
I need a Hybrid CL-S

Dyno results from unorthodox racing website for acura cl-s, with and without pulleys, 13.5hp gained, 9.3 lbs-ft

Old 08-23-2005, 01:01 PM
I need FI

TypeR, or anyone, show me some actual dyno number with and without the underdrive or lightweight pulleys. I do not believe you will get 10hp to the wheels. Same as I do not believe a K&N replacement is good for 15hp (or whatever the box says). One forum I saw showed some numbers on a LT1 Camaro, net gain 4 to the wheels.
10 whp is hard to believe, but 5 is realistic and is much worth it in my book
Old 08-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zoltanh
Dyno results from unorthodox racing website for acura cl-s, with and without pulleys, 13.5hp gained, 9.3 lbs-ft
Need to also note that this is a 6 speed.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
TypeR, or anyone, show me some actual dyno number with and without the underdrive or lightweight pulleys. I do not believe you will get 10hp to the wheels.
Search and ye' shall find. It was actually like 7whp and 10tq if I remember correctly.

It's not my thread, so I'm not searching.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Intermediate

Well that is impressive. I would put on my car whatever they did to that car to get those results with just some pulleys.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

as ive said all along the best bang for the buck mod bar none....next are the tstat,and thermo blok...but i would argue that a gutted air box and K&N drop in at a total cost of 55$ and 1 hours work would give any of the above mods a run for there money
Old 08-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well that is impressive. I would put on my car whatever they did to that car to get those results with just some pulleys.
I believe that is just the underdrive pulley alone, doesn't include the alt or p/s pulley.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:05 AM
I need a Hybrid CL-S

Originally Posted by phipark
I believe that is just the underdrive pulley alone, doesn't include the alt or p/s pulley.
Adding the alt or ps pulley doesnt give you any gains, they are only asthetic.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Adding the alt or ps pulley doesnt give you any gains, they are only asthetic.
not true ...they are also lighter .though the gains would be minimal 1-2 hp at best
Old 08-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
If anyone needs any of these crank pulleys I have them in stock. UR Groupbuy
Old 08-25-2005, 10:35 AM
I need a Hybrid CL-S

lol, nice shamless plug!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

lol, nice shamless plug!
im not sure i would say shameless...i think he pays for his right to sell to us
Old 08-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes Josh pays to be a vendor in the forums.. and he is very good at what he does...

I highly recommend him if you need any pulley's
Old 08-25-2005, 11:28 AM
I need a Hybrid CL-S

oh, i didnt know they have to pay to be vendors, in that case plug on!