whooped a 328i (I know... no big deal)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001 | 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

whooped a 328i (I know... no big deal)

But since I only get a race about every 3 months I figure I should post this one!

So I'm on my way to the Home Depot. It's at the corner of 36th & Thomas. I'm travelling down Thomas and I need to turn right just after 36th. Coming up to the light at 36th, there is a furniture truck and about 7 other cars behind it in the right hand lane. The middle lane has the E36 328i in it and lane #3 is open! Oh my.... a quandry.... NOT!! So I get in the far left lane and don't even bother looking over. The first turn off to the Home Depot is real close to the light so even if the 328 doesn't run I'll need to punch it to get over there. Light turns, I go and so does bimmerboy. Even though it was an auto there's no way I can get in front of him by the first turn off, but I easily fully overtake him in 1st gear and swing over in the middle of 2nd gear in time to turn into the 2nd entrance. I gave him a lil wave. He didn't return it!

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: GoldTypeS ]
Old 08-28-2001 | 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

bahaawwaaahah! good kill even w/a set of bald tires marky mark
Old 08-28-2001 | 04:09 PM
Race Director

Good stuff man. That's the spirit. Got to crush the kids from Snottsdale with their Bimmers that think they are tough shit. I try and find a few good races a day up here, hahah I'll be crusing around the Desert Mountain high school on my way home from ASU today see what I can do.
By the way, Nice Kill. And as for In-N-Out I won't be done here till 2:30 today cause I have an Italian paper to write, so we will try another day. Anthony
Old 08-28-2001 | 07:23 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Mike:
<STRONG>bahaawwaaahah! good kill even w/a set of bald tires marky mark </STRONG>
having bald tires gives you the best possible dry traction, but no wet traction

anyway, good kill

Old 08-28-2001 | 08:35 PM
Senior Moderator

not if you're spinning them all through first
Old 08-28-2001 | 08:57 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Mike:
<STRONG>not if you're spinning them all through first </STRONG>
Bald tires = larger contact patch = better grip on dry pavement
Old 08-28-2001 | 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by someguy:
<STRONG>

Bald tires = larger contact patch = better grip on dry pavement</STRONG>
I've heard other people say this and maybe it's true if they are completely bald, but my car is spinning like a mofo. It's ridiculous. I'm definitely not feeling any traction advantage with my tires in their current state.
Old 08-28-2001 | 09:15 PM
Pro

Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
<STRONG>

I've heard other people say this and maybe it's true if they are completely bald, but my car is spinning like a mofo. It's ridiculous. I'm definitely not feeling any traction advantage with my tires in their current state.</STRONG>
kinda weird...

stolen from http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/shaving.html

"One of the reasons radial racing slicks are so effective is because they feature shallow tread depths and their contact patch acts as a single unit. However, any tread design breaks up the contact patch into smaller elements and additional deep tread depth (required to enhance wet traction) allows tread block squirm which will reduce dry performance. This means that tires typically provide their worst wet traction ... and their best dry performance just before they wear out.However, its also important to remember that the heat generated every time a tire is driven activates bonding agents in the rubber. As this process is repeated continually throughout the tire's life, its rubber compounds gradually harden and loose flexibility reducing the tire's grip. Therefore, a shaved "new" tire will provide more traction than a tire worn to the exact same tread depth after being driven for thousands of miles on the road."
Old 08-29-2001 | 06:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by someguy:
<STRONG>

kinda weird...

stolen from http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/shaving.html

"One of the reasons radial racing slicks are so effective is because they feature shallow tread depths and their contact patch acts as a single unit. However, any tread design breaks up the contact patch into smaller elements and additional deep tread depth (required to enhance wet traction) allows tread block squirm which will reduce dry performance. This means that tires typically provide their worst wet traction ... and their best dry performance just before they wear out. However, its also important to remember that the heat generated every time a tire is driven activates bonding agents in the rubber. As this process is repeated continually throughout the tire's life, its rubber compounds gradually harden and loose flexibility reducing the tire's grip. Therefore, a shaved "new" tire will provide more traction than a tire worn to the exact same tread depth after being driven for thousands of miles on the road."</STRONG>
That paragraph sort of contradicts itself.

"This means that tires typically provide their worst wet traction ... and their best dry performance just before they wear out."

and then goes on to say....

"its rubber compounds gradually harden and loose flexibility reducing the tire's grip."

So which is it?? I've never noticed tires gripping better as they age.... always worse. But hey... that's just my own observation.
Old 08-31-2001 | 08:06 PM
Cruisin'

Nice kill.
Old 08-31-2001 | 11:05 PM
Kill the Chicken heads

is it me... or does no one wana race in AZ?
Old 09-01-2001 | 12:30 AM
Cruisin'

Are you going to the autocross @ Firebird 9/2/01?

Originally posted by Type S Smokes All:
<STRONG>is it me... or does no one wana race in AZ?</STRONG>