Who changes their own oil??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002 | 12:18 PM
Team Owner

I know how to change the oil, but I choose to leave this task to someone else.
My dealer is only 2-3 miles from where I work.
It’s easier for me to drop the car off at 7AM and take the loaner to work.

I swing back at 5 with my bitchin Ford Taurus and my car is ready to go.
So it costs me an extra 15-bucks over what the parts would cost.....SO WHAT.

I don’t have to deal with buying parts, lifting the car, doing the work and transporting the used oil somewhere in my car.

That hour of my time is worth more to me then the 15-bucks.

Shawn S
Old 07-01-2002 | 01:34 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by bone_stock
Other than the reason to stop being so dependent on foreign oil I don't see the point for synthetic at all. Unless an engine is going through some extreme conditions consumer reports says there is no advantage synthetic oil vs. dino oil. If I were in the middle of Texas with ambient air temp 125 degress and my radiator springs a leak with 100 miles to the next town I'd want synthetic in my crank case. However, for every day normal conditions I'll take the cheaper dino oil!

WE ARE NOT DEPENDENT ON FOREIGN OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We only get like 5% of our oil from the rest of the world!!!! Do some research and stop believing what the nightly news tells you.
Old 07-01-2002 | 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Zapata

WE ARE NOT DEPENDENT ON FOREIGN OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We only get like 5% of our oil from the rest of the world!!!! Do some research and stop believing what the nightly news tells you.

Sorry pal you are WAY off. You can doubt the nightly news, but are you going to doubt this statement from Congress? Why in the world do you think we lead the coalition to liberate Kuwait? It was .000001 % because they were illegaly invaded and the reamaining percent for OIL!

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/2958/oil.html
Old 07-01-2002 | 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

EricL > all
Old 07-01-2002 | 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by EricL

So, I hope this isn't a pour point logic argument, where various Amsol shills, have said, well if the pour point is lower, it must be a "blend". Oil properties have nothing to due with "labels" -- and it would be possible to make a "pure" synthetic that trashed an engine (it would be a BAD synthetic as opposed to a "blend").

The problem is saying, "the Tri-syn is a blend" -- you need to prove this.
Nice red ink.

" The very Amsol links that are provided show otherwise and this is in spite of Mobil posting “facts” on their tri-synthetic that would have clearly put them in a false marketing suit."

Yes I did compile a bunch of web readings into simplistic statements that are not backed by tech data links. The "Major" point is the WORD synthetic is not regulated. That is the point of the web page I listed. Mobil1 didn't sue for these statements made by Amsoil.

This seems to be a debate between Amsoil and Mobil and hopefully posted for the engineering community.

I am not biased towards any synthetic just that there seems to be a lot of debate which is best. ie; contact Roadrage on the TL boad I think he has the the tech data that you seem to be looking for on tri blends. (Maybe not)

Pour points are a very good test for syn's (Also "Amsoil shills" like them) thats why Mobil uses them in their ads.

Show me the link where a "Amsoil shill" has said pour points mean "oil blend"; Seems you are also repeating info without tech data support.

If old Mobil1 has better test data specs than the new mobil1 "Is that a improvement"? Yes a complete analysis has not been completed but referring to the Mobils data sheet the ad dept. uses it states -54.

I found old tech data here, if you disagree "OK"
But old Mobil1 was -65.???? Seems you need to contact the Mobil engineers and ask them about the differents.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/misc/all_oilfaq.html

Again the use of the word sysnthetic has no regulation.

Old 07-01-2002 | 03:43 PM
Red X

i'm surprised soopa doesn't use redline. no controversy over full or blend. after 2000 miles my oil is still clean. and i use water wetter. i don't know if it works because our radiator system is so big but i have a piece of mind.
Old 07-01-2002 | 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fender4

Nice red ink.
YOU DIDN'T QUALIFY THE FOLLOWING:

“Mobil did change their formula and added petro oil (Lower cost) and called it tri-synthetic”

You are stating something without qualification(s). If you know that they did something underhanded, got caught with their pants down, and lied to me (and others), tell us the FACTS and...

I’m sick of a**holes like Enron, A-Anderson, and WorldCom scamsters and their scams. Give us a some actual “proof” or at least an FTC complaint or something that supports your statement(s).. And, IMO, it would help if you always qualified your statements by saying you’re biased (since you appear to be a Amsoil vendor).

Hey, if you just said, “Hey, I believe… “; that would go along way to eliminating any problems. After all, you are free to present your “opinions” and “views”. I just get so tired of seeing stuff that “passes for fact” without some “qualification”

And, I’ve now seen this similar “propaganda” (about Mobil-1) on this site and here are some links:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...l&pagenumber=1 (Mobil 1 Reformulated)

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ighlight=mobil

(You comment that you can get the Amsol oil via wholesale.)

" The very Amsol links that are provided show otherwise and this is in spite of Mobil posting “facts” on their tri-synthetic that would have clearly put them in a false marketing suit."

Yes I did compile a bunch of web readings into simplistic statements that are not backed by tech data links. The "Major" point is the WORD synthetic is not regulated. That is the point of the web page I listed. Mobil1 didn't sue for these statements made by Amsoil.
So, just say that Amsoil and everyone else are using a BS term. You said Mobil-1 (not Amsoil), I didn't see anyone else’s product mentioned.

Hey, I agree one hundred percent about the word “synthetic” not being regulated. Analogy – the use of the terms, “natural” and “organic” with food products. (IMO, some will disagree about organic and this gets into “details” – so, my opinion…) (As a note, there is a definition that could be arrived at, but if you are going to take Mobil to task for abusing the term, you might as well start making some of your own definitions.)

AND

Why should Mobil-1 sue Amsol for saying they made the Tri-synthetic formulation first, if that is true? (Is the Irony lost on you -- that in the very link you provide, Amsol says they came up with Tri-Synthetic first? )

Why would Mobil-1 want to sue for making a “blend” and clearly labeling it as such, when they fully disclose that fact? (Hey, they make a non-dino version and a dino-mix blend -- confusion comes in many forms...)

This seems to be a debate between Amsoil and Mobil and hopefully posted for the engineering community.
Please to provide links for interested parties.

Debate, what debate? About what? (You mean that technically, both companies don't make a "synthetic" product?)

I am not biased towards any synthetic just that there seems to be a lot of debate which is best. ie; contact Roadrage on the TL boad I think he has the the tech data that you seem to be looking for on tri blends. (Maybe not)
Hey, you were the one who said:

“Anyway they [Mobil] got caught and went back to a "Full Synthetic formula".

I really do have a problem with that statement above.

Pour points are a very good test for syn's (Also "Amsoil shills" like them) thats why Mobil uses them in their ads.
Well, Amsol can certainly “use” pour points to “infer” something. But, just because something has a lower pour point, doesn’t mean that there wasn’t a trade-off. Motor lubrication is an exotic science. If I make a tire that used to work down to -120F and it now only works down to -100F, but lasts three times longer and sticks 20% better with better wear, what does the temp spec really mean?

Show me the link where a "Amsoil shill" has said pour points mean "oil blend"; Seems you are also repeating info without tech data support.
I guess I need to run around and do background checks on rabid Amsol fans… Please, toss this back to the best defense is a good offence school of debating…

And, let’s see –

’Here is your quote on this forum:
“fun reading
Decide what's best for you
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html

plenty of oil info here
http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/autotech.html
If you need Amsoil contact me I'll show you how to have it shipped to your door.”

And in the same thread, but a bit later:

BACK SELLING THE AMSOL AGAIN – hmmm…

I run 10k on Amsoil + Amsoil filter, Mobil1 is now mixed with petro oil by products to lower cost. It's no longer a true 100% syn. oil.

If old Mobil1 has better test data specs than the new mobil1 "Is that a improvement"? Yes a complete analysis has not been completed but referring to the Mobils data sheet the ad dept. uses it states -54.

I found old tech data here, if you disagree "OK"
But old Mobil1 was -65.???? Seems you need to contact the Mobil engineers and ask them about the differents.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/misc/all_oilfaq.html

Again the use of the word sysnthetic has no regulation.
Who cares what the pour point is if you are not in Alaska. Analogy: what if I decide to add an additive to a medication that makes it 10% less effective in clinical trials, but it has 40% less side effects? And what does this have to do with your statements?

RE: I asked the Mobil-1 folks about the temperature, and got an answer I didn’t care for. That’s why I ask to speak with the engineers. The said the pour is related to "formulation" issues.

Hey, maybe we need a Mobil-1 reseller, on the board, to even the playing field -- hey? (Perhaps a few spurious rumors and comments about Amsoil will muddy the water some more...)

BTW, I looked around and about the only thing that played out is 1) you’re an Amsoil dealer and the oil looks to be good stuff (fine, I have no problem with that). 2) that even some people think that Amsoil doesn’t make a synthetic oil “due to definitions of ‘synthetic’”.

Here is something to ponder:

“ Almost Synthetic is Synthetic even when it is Petroleum.
Well, if you think that Mobil or (ExxonMobil now) is less than honest, or even down right deceptive, that is not the worst of it.
Many other brands of Synthetics (Shell, Castrol, Amsoil, etc.) are NOT fully "synthetic" at all, at least by the definition used for years by chemists in all chemical companies around the World.
…”

AND

You want to talk about advertising BS:

” AMSOIL = "First in Synthetics" - The company did not exist before 1972
MOBIL = "First to Market Synthetic Oil" - Mobil 1 was introduced in 1974”

Hey, who knows if this is true and here is the link (the music will drive you nuts):

http://www.synlube.com/synthetic.htm
Old 07-01-2002 | 06:51 PM
Adult Supervision

Just checked. It is the full synthetic but I got 10/30 instead of 5/30. Oops - did I do a bad thing?
Old 07-01-2002 | 10:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by MikeS 18
Just checked. It is the full synthetic but I got 10/30 instead of 5/30. Oops - did I do a bad thing?
I wouldn't sweat it, next time buy Amsoil, some of us on the board can get it wholesale if you pay a extra $10 bucks for six months membership. It's then used to save cl board members money. Lets start a heated debate over that avater "Turning Clicking thing"

I say "Craftman" is better; Any takers want to defend "Snap On"

650 "views" must be some interest here

more fun reading for another debate on filters;

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

Yep Mobil1 and Amsoil are at it again, some like Puralator(sp)1 b