What made you buy your acura/honda

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What made you buy your acura/honda

Well im doing a project for a management class and it is essentially an informative speech. My topic is about how US automakers have been struggling to adapt to new standards in the auto market in order to stay alive. My question is what made you want to buy your import over a domestic of course besides it beautiful styling and do believe that Honda's/ imports tend have a longer lifespan compared to that of their domestic counterparts? and if so why?

And I'm not trying to make mods mad I felt it would fit a lot better in the cl form than in Ramblings but if it needs to be moved so be it. Thanks for your input!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:13 AM
CL-Pride

1. Reliable compared to domestic
2. Easier to fix if anything goes wrong compared to Euro
3. Budget
Old 10-22-2007, 02:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
1. Reliability over american cars ( we have a 92 camry with 213k and still going)
2. bang for the buck
3. luxury (i can drive this car till im an executive or 50 and still not feel embarassed, cant say that with a aveo)
4.Power (CL-S)
5. MPG (30 MPG hwy for 260hp? not bad)
Old 10-22-2007, 02:24 AM
wants mods

I bought my CL mainly because of the fact not many people owned one, along with the power and reliability factor.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:23 AM
ALL SHOW AND NO GO

Originally Posted by xBlur
I bought my CL mainly because of the fact not many people owned one, along with the power and reliability factor.
That goes double for me. But i dont know about the reliability part. Since my cars a auto
Old 10-22-2007, 06:34 AM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1. reliability
2. best bang for the buck in its class
3. fun to drive
4. less common than other cars on the road (i can go weeks w/out seeing another CL)
Old 10-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Pro

^^^ I'm with everyone above.
Except I think reliability is great even with my Auto. 78K problem free so far.
Even if it does go out...I'm not stressing because the car overall as been great!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Price
6mt
performance
options
looks

I could care less with brands, & gas mileage. I buy what fits me, & my wants.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:17 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had my heart set on an RSX-S, until I test drove one and HATED it It was too small inside. The RSX-S I wanted with body kit and whatever other stuff was only like 3K less than the CL-S. I drove the CL-S and fell in love.

I was young and stupid though. Those were the only two cars I drove before dropping 30K on a new car Luckily I still love the car almost 5 years later, and I still think its one of the best cars in its class, even though the GF hates it haha
Old 10-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
it's a coupe, price, perceived reliability, availibility of a 6spd manual transmision.

If the 03 CL didn't come with a 6spd, I'd probably be driving a g35 right now...

fenixxishot, you might want to post this in cartalk, so that you can get opinions from tsx,rl, and tl drivers too...
Old 10-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's rare... what only 1500 6-speeds? That's bragging rights. I told my friends I got an Acura CL Type-S and the only response was "What the hell is that?" They figure it was some luxury cruiser which it is, but then I tell them it's a manual and I can beat almost all of them in a race and it boggles their mind that they can't visualize what car I'm talking about.

And reliability.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shredoption
It's rare...
Unfortunately for us RARE doesn't mean increased value
Old 10-22-2007, 09:42 AM
B A N N E D

1. Rare
2. Power
3. Looks
4. I absolutely love Honda/Acura, always have!
5. MPG
6. 6MT/LSD
7. FWD - even though sucks for performance very practical in rain/snow, etc.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

We had a couple of Hondas followed by some GM (Chevy & Buick) products. We went back to Honda products because of GM's lousy engineering and total lack of customer support.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,099 Posts
1. Build quality
2. Simple, easy-to-use controls
3. Ergonomics
4. Refinement
5. Gas mileage
Old 10-22-2007, 11:09 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,099 Posts
It also just crossed my mind that the media has a huge influence on people's purchases and the car mags tend to praise Honda/Acura over most domestics.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
reliability, brand loyalty been buying hondas since 1990 owned 6 of them, my CLS is not owned by everyone and their brother, PRICE, honda parts are relatively cheap when repairs are needed, its a hot car.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:26 PM
CL-Pride

One reason i think the "domestic" car is build with not so good quality is because it is not really build in the state. Their factories are somewhere in Mexico and such while the "import" is build in the country with some exception.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ironsurfer129
One reason i think the "domestic" car is build with not so good quality is because it is not really build in the state. Their factories are somewhere in Mexico and such while the "import" is build in the country with some exception.
Some domestics are built in Mexico, most of them are built in the US.

The lousy Buick we had was a Flint, Michigan product. Not sure but I think the lousy Chevys (plural!!) were built in Kentucky or St Louis. All were crap!

Place of manufacture has nothing to do with customer support....or the lack thereof!

I have found that the Hondas made in Japan are a bit better than the Marysville ones.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:49 PM
P.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Has all the nice modern day luxury features that i was lookin for!
Old 10-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all the very fast feedback and Greenie I will post in CarTalk. One thing that I did find interesting especially on this board is that many people who bought new cars if not a honda went with another import like I know at least 2-3 people have a G and I remember some kid ranting about his new Z
Old 10-22-2007, 02:21 PM
3.2L Vtec

Originally Posted by fenixxishot
Well im doing a project for a management class and it is essentially an informative speech. My topic is about how US automakers have been struggling to adapt to new standards in the auto market in order to stay alive. My question is what made you want to buy your import over a domestic of course besides it beautiful styling and do believe that Honda's/ imports tend have a longer lifespan compared to that of their domestic counterparts? and if so why?

And I'm not trying to make mods mad I felt it would fit a lot better in the cl form than in Ramblings but if it needs to be moved so be it. Thanks for your input!
Having a family that has boughten majority of imports has a huge impact on choosing an import vs a domestic. The perceived reliability of an import is also a big factor. If you look at consumer report, majority of Japanese cars have a high rating whereas many of other domestic vehicles show low ratings. It has been proven in many occasions that imports due tend to last longer and are easier and cheaper to repair. I am in no way a mechanic or an expert in this subject, I am just going by my experiences. People see a lot more "bet up hondas, toyotas, and nissans on the road that are running jus fine compared to the dodge, ford, and chrystler cars.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Something I don't like about new Honda's is they have gotten smarter. Stereo's, nav's, all this techo garbage has been added.

The CL is very simple & basic. Something I love about it.

Most domestics are still simple as well.

And everyone should eliminate customer service from their lists. That's all dealer based. Some are good, some are very very bad. All 4 of the Acura dealers by me are closer to the bad section.

But there is a very good Chrysler dealer by me.
But the ford dealer sucks
The BMW dealer sucks
The lexus dealer is exceptional
The infinity dealer is just ok

See my point?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Advanced

fenixxishot,

My input:

Overall

1) It's japanese. I work globally and have come to appreciate the japanese mindset about taking their work seriously because their mindset is to think beyond them self to their culture at large and this produces an xlnt product. 85% of the country is mountainous - lots of people in little space causing them to have a built in sense of wise use of materials - cars that are meant to last and not be disposed of
I am a Mech Engineer and have comne to appreciate the balanced job done in design.
1) It's a Honda, and this is my 4th in a row. My japanese cohorts generally agree that Hondas are on the design edge whereas Toyotas are the staid old man's car.

Why an '03 CL-S (in gnrl order of priority):
1) Reliability
2) Performance, particularly acceleration
3) Endurance - all of my Hondas have run ~200K miles+ (unless rear ended first)
4) Cost - up front / down the road low maint cost; relatively low insurance rates
5) Quality - of design (including ergo considerations) and manufacture
6) Xlnt gas mileage for the cost - never below 24; up to 33.4 MPG at best
7) Technology - refinement where it is needed as opposed to adding fluff bells and whistles
8) Clean styling - Hondas are not edgy but they still look good years later
9) Simplicity - as Frank Lloyd Wright said, 'Beauty Lies in Simplicity'
10) Resale value - I have sold all of my previous Hondas in hours
Old 10-22-2007, 03:28 PM
140,000 miles young

1 - reliability in general (not the tranny)
2 - More luxurious all around/the little thoughtful design touches (smart asians man)
3 - Better quality interior
4 - more power from a smoother, more efficient engine
and...

5 - VTECH BABY!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by coastal rider
fenixxishot,

My input:

Overall

1) It's japanese. I work globally and have come to appreciate the japanese mindset about taking their work seriously because their mindset is to think beyond them self to their culture at large and this produces an xlnt product. 85% of the country is mountainous - lots of people in little space causing them to have a built in sense of wise use of materials - cars that are meant to last and not be disposed of
I am a Mech Engineer and have comne to appreciate the balanced job done in design.
1) It's a Honda, and this is my 4th in a row. My japanese cohorts generally agree that Hondas are on the design edge whereas Toyotas are the staid old man's car.

Why an '03 CL-S (in gnrl order of priority):
1) Reliability
2) Performance, particularly acceleration
3) Endurance - all of my Hondas have run ~200K miles+ (unless rear ended first)
4) Cost - up front / down the road low maint cost; relatively low insurance rates
5) Quality - of design (including ergo considerations) and manufacture
6) Xlnt gas mileage for the cost - never below 24; up to 33.4 MPG at best
7) Technology - refinement where it is needed as opposed to adding fluff bells and whistles
8) Clean styling - Hondas are not edgy but they still look good years later
9) Simplicity - as Frank Lloyd Wright said, 'Beauty Lies in Simplicity'
10) Resale value - I have sold all of my previous Hondas in hours

I agree...My dad works for Honda in Marysville and countlessly tells me how the japanese are amazingly picky and strict when it comes to their work...esp..at honda. I respect their work...thus I drive their work.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cls

reliable
sporty
noone had the cl at the time
the hp
vtec
mpg
many mods available
luxury
Old 10-22-2007, 07:50 PM
3.2L Vtec

Originally Posted by underst8
and...

5 - VTECH BABY!!!!!!!!!
why why why VTEC
Old 10-22-2007, 10:40 PM
140,000 miles young

I hope your kidding, but...because you can't hit 5000 rpm in a ford and have it make you laugh maniacally as your car makes an equally maniacle sound.

Also, more importantly for the topic of this thread, it means you get relatively better gas mileage when your cruising, with the ability to kick out lots of horsepower when you wanna. thats why VTECH BABY!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:50 PM
140,000 miles young

Vtec...sorry I was retarded twice...it's habit i just type tech.... but yeah there is the logical explanation for why vtec is good for your report.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Had a Legend, had a Integra GS and purchased a CL-S. That's the last of my $$$ Acura/Honda will see.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:55 AM
140,000 miles young

why? tranny?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:07 PM
03 3.2 CL Type-S (AT)

well I don't know about honda not getting my money, but at the moment acrua doesn't make a real luxury sports car in the class of the CL and so won't see any $$ from me.

If I were to buy a new car right now it would be the g37 sport.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:22 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
It was the closest thing to the Legend Coupes I had, and it's a great car. I like it for the 6 speed/engine combo most, and rarity, reliability.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
I bought for several reasons:
First is that my dad has worked at honda for a long time and we have always had Hondas.
I worked for honda for nearly 3 years and understand there approach and appreciate it.
Hondas are the only cars i've owned and predominately driven. I like to be able to feel the road through the vehicle which is what I get from honda. All their cars communicate this feeling really well, and trust me I;ve driven nearly every iteration of their vehicles except for the NSX.

The reliability has been nothing but spectacular for us. We've never been left on the side of the road with one, my old accord has 450K on it and my dad still drives it in the winter. my 91 civic 4 door that i gave up with 250k still had the original clutch. My dads G/fs civic 00' has nearly 300k original everything but filters and brakes.

As a car enthusiast I always take over my buddies cars when they have different ones, and nothing comes close to the road presence of a honda. Chevy's, Fords, Mazdas, VW, hyundais, toyotas, kia's are either to soft, have gear ratios like crap, fall apart, are to small inside, have crappy interior appeal, engines have shit powerbands, cars are not geared to use all available power. or are visually not appealing. I think it will take an awful lot to pull me away from the brand, either that or a porsche......did i mention that the other cars don't have the VTEC WOOT sound?
Old 10-27-2007, 03:56 AM
Intermediate

Its a COUPE...and a luxury sport coupe at that! Two long doors mean I can get the seat all the way back to accomodate my 6'4" height...and I wont have the door pillars in my peripheral side view, like I would with a 4 door. That's why ALL my cars have been coupes! (Yes, there is a certain lack of headroom in the CL for us taller guys, but its not that bad!)

So...why I BOUGHT it....

Being a luxury coupe is #1 for me.
Then...it's the Acura/Honda rep for reliability. (I know, everyone bags on the tranny...but I have over 130k on the original tranny, and its still going strong!) These cars just run forever!
Ease of ownership...the car needs next to nothing maintenance-wise. (as compared to BMW, Mercedes, etc)
Bang for the buck! This car is LOADED with features as standard equipment!
Styling...I love its look.
And, it's sporty!
(PLUS..I was working at an Acura dealership when it came in on trade and I bought it at about 1/2 of wholesale book value!)

Why I KEEP it....
Performance....even NON "S" type...it MOVES! VTEC!!!!
Ride and handling...I spank it through the canyons and on Mullholland Dr. Its a blast to drive fast! And the ride is still smooth and predictable...and great brakes.
Again...no real maintenance issues (for ME anyway!)
Luxury, comfort and finishing. This car was WAY ahead of its time...and it still has everything I need.
Styling...it still looks great. Contemporary and sleek.
And there IS a bit of the "exclusivity factor"...not a lot of them around.

All in all..a great car! They should bring it back.