What do you think about Stick Shift?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 06:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think about Stick Shift?

Lately I've been trying to trade in my CL-P for another car that's manual because of the fact that the transmission will go anytime now and also the fact that lately I've been having several problems with the car period. First it was the windshield and blah blah blah. I went to look at a car and then my uncle gave me this BS speech about only 5% of the United States drive stick. It's hard to sell and plus you get sick and tired of it real fast. I mean everything has their Ups and Downs but he doesn't see that. Can I get some of your opinions on this please? Thanks.
In my opinion a manual is fuel efficient, reliable, and also easier to fix. Plus it keeps me awake when I drive long trips.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:05 AM
Team Owner

Stick Shift rules !!!

More fun to drive.
Better fuel economy.
Easier on Brakes.
More Power to the wheels.
More fun to drive.
Better control of the engine revs.
Easier to drive in the snow.
More control in the corners for downshifting.
Real men drive clutch.
Did I mention more fun to drive?

I’ve owned and been driving stick shift cars exclusively since 1986 except for a 2-year “mistake” with my 2001 CL-S SLUSH-BOX.

Shawn S
Old 12-21-2004, 07:06 AM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just love sticks, have heard that argument before about they are harder to sell but I have never seen that be a case in real life. For me I go out of my way to look for cars that have a stickshift so I guess people like me would actually be helping the resell ability of a stick

Boils down to you spend probably 15-20 hours a week in your car, you better enjoy it while you are there. I enjoy driving a stick so thats why I will make sure my next car has one. Who cares what others think, they are just jealous because they can't drive your car
Old 12-21-2004, 07:11 AM
Burning Brakes

I have driven manual all my life, I won't switch to automatic until I have to. Like Shawn said, it is alot more fun to drive; it really gives you a sense of control in your car.

What are you thinking of getting? If it is somewhat sporty a M/T is even better.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
@ ShawnS...

Shawn pretty much covered it all. I sometimes wish I had an automatic when I'm stuck in traffic, but when the road opens up, M/T rules...
Old 12-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Moodist
I have driven manual all my life, I won't switch to automatic until I have to. Like Shawn said, it is alot more fun to drive; it really gives you a sense of control in your car.

What are you thinking of getting? If it is somewhat sporty a M/T is even better.
Well I'm trying to get a 2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary Edition 5spd. But my uncle called me a spoiled little brat and also that I'm a greedy kid. I'm still trying to figure out how am I greedy when I paid for my car without his help. I earned my car and I'm just trying to get another car but manual now cause of the fact that my car is acting up on me now. He says that I materialize things too much. How am I materializing a car? I don't buy clothes like crazy like other people do because of the fashion or trend the current fashion is going through. I mean I do buy clothes but only at the time when their on sale like Macy's and stuff. I asked my mom and she says quote "Alright fine you can get a manual." When she said it like that it makes me feel guilty now. She also said "But if anything goes wrong or your sick and tired of manual don't come running to me about it." I know there's consequences in life but I'm willing to take it and if i can't i guess i'm gonna have to stick with this CL-P with the slushbox.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by racersky
Well I'm trying to get a 2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary Edition 5spd. But my uncle called me a spoiled little brat and also that I'm a greedy kid. I'm still trying to figure out how am I greedy when I paid for my car without his help. I earned my car and I'm just trying to get another car but manual now cause of the fact that my car is acting up on me now. He says that I materialize things too much. How am I materializing a car? I don't buy clothes like crazy like other people do because of the fashion or trend the current fashion is going through. I mean I do buy clothes but only at the time when their on sale like Macy's and stuff. I asked my mom and she says quote "Alright fine you can get a manual." When she said it like that it makes me feel guilty now. She also said "But if anything goes wrong or your sick and tired of manual don't come running to me about it." I know there's consequences in life but I'm willing to take it and if i can't i guess i'm gonna have to stick with this CL-P with the slushbox.

Well I can't say anything about the whole situation, that is your decision to make.

As far as those Maxima's go, I personally would definitely get manual. Do some research to see pros and cons, resale, etc on the manual vs auto maxima. Then come to a decision. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by Shawn S
Stick Shift rules !!!

More fun to drive.
Better fuel economy.
Easier on Brakes.
More fun to drive.
Real men drive clutch.

I’ve owned and been driving stick shift cars exclusively since 1986 except for a 2-year “mistake” with my 2001 CL-S SLUSH-BOX.

Shawn S

I love MTs. I don't think i'd purchase a car without it unless there was a very very good reason.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Back to Four Doors

Seems to me that if you worked for and paid for the car on your own and you maintain the car on your own then everyone else should STFU. So what if you tire of the manual tranny, then you sell it and get another car with an auto. Big deal. You make decisions in life and sometimes they don't work out. Just correct the mistake and move on. I say go for it.

BTW ... my 19 yo son originally got an auto (tho I tried to convince him to get a stick). After problems with car #1, he sold it and got a 5 spd 97 Maxima. Now he thinks I'm crazy to drive an auto .... but he doesn't spend 2+ hours a day in rush hour traffic.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Banned

Personally, for me, I like to drive the stick when you have a chance to really enjoy it. I have turbo miata that's a riot to drive, easiest stick in the world to learn on as well. A car the size of a CL though....I prefer the auto.....it's comfortable and perfect for long trips....and makes the commute a lot easier.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:18 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had an '01 CLS before I trade it in for a '03 CLS 6MT. Even though I liked the '01 CLS, I didn't particularly like the 5AT and missed driving a MT. IMHO, the 6MT is more drive-able when it comes to handling, better power and gas mileage. And it take to mods much better too.

I've had the 6MT for nearly two years now and still very much enjoy driving it; even though it's my daily driver. In fact, I still find myself anxious to drive it after work. But I've driven mostly MTs all my life so I'm a little biased.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by cls6sp03
I've had the 6MT for nearly two years now and still very much enjoy driving it; even though it's my daily driver. In fact, I still find myself anxious to drive it after work.

Old 12-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Stick Shift rules !!!

More fun to drive.
Better fuel economy.
Easier on Brakes.
More fun to drive.
Real men drive clutch.

Shawn S
I'd agree with you on all accounts except for the better fuel economy. In many cases this is true, but its not the rule.

For example, the two CL's you've owned ... the Automatic gets better EPA Fuel Mileage ratings: (19 city / 29 highway for the 5AT; 19 city / 28 highway for the 6spd). Its not a huge difference, but it also doesn't show better fuel economy for the manual.

That said, my replacement for the TL-S will most likely be a manual transmission, and the S2K is a blast to drive manual.

Oh yeah, here's my source: hondanews.com
Old 12-21-2004, 11:29 AM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moomaster_99
Personally, for me, I like to drive the stick when you have a chance to really enjoy it. I have turbo miata that's a riot to drive, easiest stick in the world to learn on as well. A car the size of a CL though....I prefer the auto.....it's comfortable and perfect for long trips....and makes the commute a lot easier.

Give me a roadster with a stick. But the CL with auto works perfectly for me, mostly because I drive it everyday in traffic and use it for raod trips. I've driven both auto and manuals equally throughout my driving career and I like them both depending on the situation and the car. CL = 5AT works fine, NSX = give me a stick.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:39 AM
boosted is best

And consider this... I can get 30 MPG when cruising on the freeway at 70-75 MPH even though my 6MT is fully modded with all the CT goodies (305 WHP). The worst I've gotten is about 21-22 MPG when pushing it hard.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
i used to drive my dad's automatic all the time so when i bought my 1st car i got a stickshift and im NEVER gonna go back to automatic until im too old and feeble to change gears lol
Old 12-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Drifting

im usually doing other things while driving and i drive in traffic alot so therefore i like auto..would absolutely love to have a manual on the side, tho
Old 12-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Stick Shift rules !!!

More fun to drive.
Better fuel economy.
Easier on Brakes.
More fun to drive.
Real men drive clutch.

Shawn S

Seem like you couldn't wait to post that.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:21 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
self operated clutch, care.

Auto trannies bore me, any monkey can put it into drive and push a pedal. It takes skill and pratice to drive a manual tranny with precision.

As a side note, I wouldnt suggest learning to drive a stick shift in the CL-S6. The clutch is a bit picky, and even I after 1.5yrs of ownership still sometimes botch a regular launch.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by jtkz13
As a side note, I wouldnt suggest learning to drive a stick shift in the CL-S6. The clutch is a bit picky, and even I after 1.5yrs of ownership still sometimes botch a regular launch.

Finky but forgiving.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:15 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm just saying a car with more low end tq and a more progressive clutch would probably be a bit easier to not stall, and for a noob to drive smoothly. I can see a novice burning up the clutch in the CL-S because it feels like it needs alot of rpms to get off the line without bogging it.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by jtkz13
I'm just saying a car with more low end tq and a more progressive clutch would probably be a bit easier to not stall, and for a noob to drive smoothly. I can see a novice burning up the clutch in the CL-S because it feels like it needs alot of rpms to get off the line without bogging it.

yea the double hitch in the clutch is what always got me.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:30 PM
My Work is Done Here

And consider this... I can get 30 MPG when cruising on the freeway at 70-75 MPH even though my 6MT is fully modded with all the CT goodies (305 WHP). The worst I've gotten is about 21-22 MPG when pushing it hard.

I get 32mpg cruising at 80-85mph with my 5AT.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:32 PM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by ccannizz11
Do you have a 5AT with S/C?
Old 12-21-2004, 05:42 PM
My Work is Done Here

Do you have a 5AT with S/C?

Old 12-21-2004, 05:50 PM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by ccannizz11
On really long drives, I can almost hit 32 MPG. I think the best I've every got was 31.5 MPG cruising between 70-85 MPH. But mostly, I average around 30 MPG for freeway driving. I'm sure if I drove at a constant 65 MPH, I could probably get over 33 MPG, maybe higher.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Manual Shift > *

6MT CL-S > *

Old 12-21-2004, 07:01 PM
boosted is best

Old 12-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
5AT are easier with a girl in the car. Thats why i bought mine.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

OMG i want a freaking manual so bad but my uncle still says no. I still don't understand why my uncle has a say in what I want. He keeps on saying all he wants to do is find what's best for me. I think it's because he feels like a father to me since he did take care of me when i was 11yrs old.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:28 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
OMG i want a freaking manual so bad but my uncle still says no. I still don't understand why my uncle has a say in what I want. He keeps on saying all he wants to do is find what's best for me. I think it's because he feels like a father to me since he did take care of me when i was 11yrs old.
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? If you're over 18, you should be making these kinds of decisions on your own. Don't you think that YOU should find whats best for you? I mean, is the next thing he's going to do is pick out your wife for you too?

I don't know your family situation so its tough for me to comment, but while I think there's nothing wrong with getting advice, not listening to the advice should always be an option.

Maybe you could learn how to drive stick on a friend's car or take lessons at a driving school and see how you like it? Then you can give your uncle some real world experience and say you've tried it and you like it, so he can't use the excuse that you're going to get sick of it.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:35 AM
I SMELL NAWZ

stick shift is great, but around here its kinda overrated... sorta like vtec, people around here think a stock del sol will beat a 5.0 because the Sol is stick and the 5.0 is auto... that race went on and i laughed my ass off from launch to end.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

well my uncle treats me like a son even though I'm 18 already and he still treats like a kid. If he says no all he needs to do is tell my mom and my mom listens to him just like that. I've been practicing with my friend's car and I just love how it feels while driving it around. But like i said before I have no voice against my uncle.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Drifting

A case can be made for both sides, but to me driving an auto is like kissing your sister. It doesn't count. Let me put it another way.

Most airplanes have autopilots, correct? You can program one to at the very least take you in a straight line, and the better ones can follow a "zig-zag" course, and you really don't have to do anything except at the front and rear ends of the trip. In a car, of course, you have to steer, to guide the thing. But you just get relegated to the status of a glorified passenger.

I'd rather control all aspects of the machine by myself, car or plane. Look at it this way: I'd rather hone my skills rather than program a little black box, or shift the lever to the one and only position for a trip that may take hours.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:51 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by SanJoseRoller
stick shift is great, but around here its kinda overrated...

no....it isn't. Stick gives you control and connection to your car like nothing else can.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:55 PM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by Zapata
no....it isn't. Stick gives you control and connection to your car like nothing else can.
completely!!!
Old 12-23-2004, 01:55 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I luv tha stick and Acura/honda makes some of the best, hands down.

32mpg? wow I never get anywhere near 25, tops, all highway. and that's probably downhill, and no AC. You must weigh 80lbs!

Also, If you buy your own car, unkie should have no say. But if someone else is buying, that's dif I guess. at least a true 'discussion' would help. good luck.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
I luv tha stick and Acura/honda makes some of the best, hands down.

def....people rave about the miata shifter :shudder:
Old 12-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No continuous air-drumming in the car is possible with the manual trans.

That’s why 5AT > *
Old 12-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by Chaptorial
No continuous air-drumming in the car is possible with the manual trans.

That’s why 5AT > *

haha I"ve mastered talking on the phone and driving.....

Quick Reply: What do you think about Stick Shift?