VSA Light partially lit at night?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001 | 04:50 PM
Masshole

VSA Light partially lit at night?

Hey Guys:

Does anybody else's VSA light faintly give off light at night with the lights on? I just noticed mine the past couple nights (it's been raining here, too) and it stays really dimly lit just so I can see the triangle...is this because I'm driving in the rain and VSA is like...on "standby" or something? I think I would have noticed this if it always did it...I know it wasn't on when I first fired up my car to come home from work tonight....it gradually came on, I guess. Ever hear of such a thing? Any info. would be appreciated.
Old 12-17-2001 | 04:52 PM

some one just posted info on this, it is run over from the other lights near by. VSA isnt on.
Old 12-17-2001 | 05:14 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Mine will flicker in the rain while driving aggressivly. Anytime the wheels spin or do something the vehicle isnt expecting the VSA will go into action (causing a flicker). In your case i think its bleed over from other dash lights.
Old 12-17-2001 | 05:14 PM
Masshole

Originally posted by CLUofI
some one just posted info on this, it is run over from the other lights near by. VSA isnt on.
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty observant...and I've never noticed it before!!
Old 12-20-2001 | 07:51 AM
Masshole

Sorry guys...I'm just not satisfied with what I've heard about this so far. Let me explain a little more. I get in the car at night, fire her up, and hit the road. Over the course of about 15 minutes, the VSA light "appears"...faintly at first, then gets brighter until the whole triangle is lit (dimly, but clearly there). Until last week, this has NEVER happened in the car and it's driving me crazy. I'm a Windows Administrator and I hate having a triangle with an ! in it staring at me all the time...reminds me of errors!!!

Do ANY of you guys have this problem with the VSA light. I would assume light "bleedover" would happen as soon as I turn the lights on at night...this takes about 15 minutes to happen. You can't see the VSA light AT ALL for about the first 5 minutes. Am I completely out of my tits? Please tell me this is happening to somebody else!!

Old 12-20-2001 | 07:58 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

I would assume the VSA light is controled by the main VSA unit. It the main unit is seeping power to the light over time, something might be wrong. If the light is controlled by a realy, maybe that is going up.
Old 12-20-2001 | 08:08 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by Bluto
I would assume the VSA light is controled by the main VSA unit. It the main unit is seeping power to the light over time, something might be wrong. If the light is controlled by a realy, maybe that is going up.
NOW we're getting somewhere...keep your thoughts coming!!
Old 12-20-2001 | 08:08 AM
Senior Moderator

erikl mentioned,but not related to dim lit VSA changing vsa fluid...andmhow near are you to a service intravle...out of curiousity???
Old 12-20-2001 | 08:11 AM
Masshole

Ironically, I was just at the dealer 2 weeks ago for oil change, new wiper hoses and blades, and that FOCKING rear deck vibration which is still LOUD AND CLEAR. This new little glitch just started happening about a week ago.
Old 12-20-2001 | 08:26 AM
Masshole

F it...I just made an appt. for Friday the 28th to have this looked at...it's not normal and it's driving me nuts. I'll keep you guys posted in case this problem arises again with someone else's CL.
Old 12-20-2001 | 09:28 AM
6SPDCLS

I got my entire VSA steering sensor replaced...my VSA and the ! light were both ON.

I'd get your shit looked at by the dealer. that's what warranty is all about.

fuggin' car has so many of these little itty bitty itchin' problems.

Originally posted by tmk70
F it...I just made an appt. for Friday the 28th to have this looked at...it's not normal and it's driving me nuts. I'll keep you guys posted in case this problem arises again with someone else's CL.
Old 12-20-2001 | 11:33 AM
Mr. PC

Re: VSA Light partially lit at night?

Hey Guys:

Does anybody else's VSA light faintly give off light at night with the lights on? I just noticed mine the past couple nights (it's been raining here, too) and it stays really dimly lit just so I can see the triangle...is this because I'm driving in the rain and VSA is like...on "standby" or something? I think I would have noticed this if it always did it...I know it wasn't on when I first fired up my car to come home from work tonight....it gradually came on, I guess. Ever hear of such a thing? Any info. would be appreciated.
Yep mine does the same thing. I just noticed it recently. It doesn't do it until I've been driving for a while. I think it is light from the gas and temp gauges. When I turn off the lights, the faint glow in the VSA '!' goes out too so I don't think it's a problem.
Old 12-20-2001 | 01:02 PM
Masshole

Re: Re: VSA Light partially lit at night?

Originally posted by mistacanyon

Yep mine does the same thing. I just noticed it recently. It doesn't do it until I've been driving for a while. I think it is light from the gas and temp gauges. When I turn off the lights, the faint glow in the VSA '!' goes out too so I don't think it's a problem.
Yeah...but did yours always do it? Mine DEFINITELY didn't...so I'm bringing her in next Friday.
Old 12-20-2001 | 01:51 PM
At least it's not Jersey

Maybe your eyes are just becoming night sensitive so everything slowly becomes brighter??
Old 12-23-2001 | 07:02 PM
Banned

Re: VSA Light partially lit at night?

Hey Guys:

This has been a repeat thread over at the TL forum. Mine does it on my TL-S as well as several other TL owners. It is definitely related to the dash lights as no matter how pronounced the "glow" is, you can make it go away instantly by turning off the lights. Those that don't have their dash illumination up to the max brightness may not see this. Also, it definitely does not do it when the car first starts up. But what happens as the car warms up? At the same time the glow is getting brighter, the engine temp is going up which means the temp gauge needle (brightly lit) is getting closer to the triangle. It has been proposed that the light is either (a) bleedover from the needle or (b) bleedover from the temp/fuel gauges that as the dash heats up from the light and engine and cockpit, gaps in the back of the panel may expand allowing more light through. I personally subscribe to theory "a". In any event, I don't think it is indicative of an impending problem with the VSA. If it was, you wouldn't be able to make it go away by simply turning off the lights. And, this never happens in the daytime (go into a dark tunnel or underground parking garage and you won't see it), so I find it hard to believe if it was a failure it only happens at night.
Old 12-23-2001 | 08:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: VSA Light partially lit at night?

Originally posted by pianoman41

This has been a repeat thread over at the TL forum. Mine does it on my TL-S as well as several other TL owners. It is definitely related to the dash lights as no matter how pronounced the "glow" is, you can make it go away instantly by turning off the lights. Those that don't have their dash illumination up to the max brightness may not see this. Also, it definitely does not do it when the car first starts up. But what happens as the car warms up? At the same time the glow is getting brighter, the engine temp is going up which means the temp gauge needle (brightly lit) is getting closer to the triangle. It has been proposed that the light is either (a) bleedover from the needle or (b) bleedover from the temp/fuel gauges that as the dash heats up from the light and engine and cockpit, gaps in the back of the panel may expand allowing more light through. I personally subscribe to theory "a". In any event, I don't think it is indicative of an impending problem with the VSA. If it was, you wouldn't be able to make it go away by simply turning off the lights. And, this never happens in the daytime (go into a dark tunnel or underground parking garage and you won't see it), so I find it hard to believe if it was a failure it only happens at night.

Wow, some really good theories.. I'd agree that the the A theory is more plausible as well. This happens to me too. Where it takes like 15 minutes for the light to 'leak' to the VSA triangle and I had always wondered about that. I was never worried about it though - it's obvious that the light isn't on and that it's just leaking over from somewhere...
Old 12-23-2001 | 11:24 PM
Burning Brakes

about 2 weeks ago this starting happing on my VSA light as well. takes about 10min to start lighting up, but gets pretty bright by 30min

2001 Nighthawk Black/Black CL-S
All stock
yellow Calipers

1993 Mercedes Benz SL600 Black/Black
Old 12-25-2001 | 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

HoneyCL2001 and I have this problem. since last year. Its the glowing/bleeding effect.

Our dealer just replaced her entire dash and it fixed the problem. I've been 'scheduled' to have mine replace for about 8 months now but still no call from acura to tell me the part is there.