V1 remote

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001 | 06:22 PM
Race Director

V1 remote

I have some free time and need some ideas on the V1 remote display. I rarely use it and I would sell it if I can't find something cool to do with it. I know all the different mounting options but has anyone thought of a cool way to implement it? Something like I've seen with the Passport remote, take it apart, mount it flush, etc. I'll give it a shot if I can.

Also I don't really like having to plug and unplug the telephone switch to operate the remote; is there a better solution? Maybe a remote switch?

TIA
Old 12-20-2001 | 07:49 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

you could mount it in the thing the center console that nobody has found a purpose for.
Old 12-20-2001 | 08:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata
you could mount it in the thing the center console that nobody has found a purpose for.

A 3-series Bimmer, but the remote location is "interesting"...

Old 12-20-2001 | 09:37 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Zapata
That's where it is currently. Doesn't look attractive because you can see the wires and the plug when unplugged. That's bimmer setup looks pretty sweet....
Old 12-20-2001 | 09:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Ken, re: your remote switch request...

Would Mr. Mike be receptive (based on any past requests, etc) be receptive to handing out the wire/pin outs on the RJ-11s (well, I think that is what he is using).

Would it be remotely useful to grab an "el-cheapo" Radio Shack phone extension cord (male-female), strip back the outer insulation, and drag out a LCD multimeter and check the voltages from the car's chassis ground (take a ground of your choice) and buzz the inner conductors in various "modes" (A mini-investigator tool...) ????
Old 12-30-2001 | 04:50 PM
Race Director

Taking apart the remote, it's very thin. Still looking for a suitable location, perhaps on the driver's power window control panel?

Old 12-30-2001 | 05:30 PM
Team Owner

WOW….That’s really thin.

If Valentine would get rid of that HUGE phone connector they would probably only need to make it about a ¼” thick.
That would open up MANY more placement possibilities.

I hope they come up with something better on the next generation remote.

Shawn S
Old 01-01-2002 | 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

what about the blank spot by the moonroof and vsa/cruise buttons?

keep the display disassembled. cut a square into the blank switch plate to hold the larger wire connecter on the v1 remote, which would also conceal the wire. Then have the rest of the display onto the dash area, to the right of the blank. Maybe cut down the casing to cover the top/sides of the display.

I mounted mine under the dash visor, infront of the little green key on the right instrument cluster. I have about an inch or two of the black wire exposed, but I run it into the air vent and behind the dash. The wire is the same color as our dash and not very visible.

Or, since the display is very thin, what about getting the marble dash trim peice, and cutting a notch in it to hold the slimmed down v1 display?
Or what about one of the marble trim panels that runs along the center console?
Old 01-30-2002 | 06:27 PM
Race Director

With today's ice storm, indoor projects are the order of the day.

Old 01-30-2002 | 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Hey Ken remember me for the PAA meet??

Anyway I had mine mounted in that spot, but didnt like having to take my eyes off the road to see it. Since then I moved it from that spot to the dash near the gauges, just to the right of the steering column at the bottom of the flatblack plastic trim where it meets up with the padded dash. Its visible with a quick glance, and is not directly in fron of me on top of the steering column which would annoy the hell out of me.

Definitely a nice addition to the V1.
Old 01-30-2002 | 09:35 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
Hey Ken remember me for the PAA meet??

Anyway I had mine mounted in that spot, but didnt like having to take my eyes off the road to see it. Since then I moved it from that spot to the dash near the gauges, just to the right of the steering column at the bottom of the flatblack plastic trim where it meets up with the padded dash. Its visible with a quick glance, and is not directly in fron of me on top of the steering column which would annoy the hell out of me.

Definitely a nice addition to the V1.
How's it going? Yes I remember you. I'm just experimenting, I'll try your location. Down low is definitely harder to see...btw I rarely use this thing.
Old 01-30-2002 | 11:55 PM
Suzuka Master

For the people who are Navi-less, could the remote display fit
where the tray is (dimensions-wise)? of course you'll have to make up for the unused space and put some spacers and have it look seemless with the console material