Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UR Pulleys Dyno on AV6

Reference:
http://www.v6accord.com/forums/showt...?threadid=8678
Old 05-17-2002, 09:52 AM
SILVER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's the common problem with unorthodox pulleys, is that they replace the crankshaft pulley, and unless you get your crank shaft balanced before you put the pulley on, it will start to vibrate and eventually break your crank. Correct me if I am wrong, but on previously owned cars that I had I looked into their pulleys and everyone said don't get them because they will mess up your crank.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:32 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

This is what Unorthodox Racing has to say ( Straight from their FAQ )
<p><font color="#ff00ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>3) &quot;Isn't my stock crank/eccentric pulley a balancer, harmonic/torsional, or vibrational damper?&quot;<br>
</b></font><font color="black" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">A common misconception is that factory crank pulleys on certain vehicles are harmonic dampers. The fact is, on todays late model cars the factory crank pulley is designed to reduce NVH (noise / vibration / harshness), which does not affect crankshaft or bearing life. These are noises and vibrations from the engine compartment that may travel into the cabin of the vehicle when the engine is running and the stock crank pulley is used to reduce NVH for the occupants (similar to the use of resonators in the intake to quiet intake noise). <b>We do not manufacture crank pulleys that replace or eliminate a damper in applications where the factory crank pulley is an actual harmonic damper (such as 90 degree V engines).</b></font></p>
<div align="left">
<p><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Our pulleys are lightweight, CNC-machined 6061-T6 aluminum and are by design &quot;0&quot; balanced. Because of this, owners have called to tell us how much smoother their engine feels after installing our pulleys. <b>Unorthodox Racing has been manufacturing and selling pulleys for over 5 years without a single engine failure due to the replacement of the stock crank pulley. </b>This is testament to the quality and reliability of our products.</font></p>
<p><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Owners who have engines that use balance shafts must understand that if they eliminate their balance shafts their engines must be balanced and blueprinted if they expect to have no long-term engine problems with or without the use of our crank pulleys. This balance shaft elimination is rare and only happens on a few models that are modified for racing only (Eclipse/Talon/Laser/Galant VR4/Conquest TSI/Starion just to name a few).</font></p>
<p><font color="#ff00ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>4) &quot;Will the underdrive pulleys cause my engine to have premature bearing wear ?&quot;<br>
</b></font></p>
<div align="left">
<p><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">This is a fear many prospective owners have and it is a valid concern since we are dealing directly with the rotating assembly. </font><font color="white" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">It is, however, a fear with no basis in fact. </font><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">The fact is that our pulleys have the opposite effect on engine bearings. The combination of tight tolerances, quality control, perfect balance, and dramatic weight loss versus the stock pulleys reduces the stress on your engine extends the total service life you can expect from your engine. Engine bearing problems are purely associated to poor engine maintenance, use of heavier than factory recommended oils, improper engine building practices which includes poor balancing, excessively revving engines when they are cold, and owners expecting their factory oil pumps to handle engine HP outputs 2-3 times over stock HP levels.</font></p>
Old 05-17-2002, 11:00 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I just looked at the HELMS there is no indication of any Harmonic Balancing dampers or special balancing techniques for the Crank Pulley....

The procedure to change the crank pulley is damn easy... remove a bolt.. clean up the crank shaft, use anti-sieze compound and reinstall the bolt.. torque to the spec...

Pretty straight forward!
Old 05-17-2002, 11:04 AM
I LOVE MY CAR

So we can assume your order right??

DOM
Old 05-17-2002, 11:08 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Originally posted by Dom418
So we can assume your order right??

DOM
Waiting till the UR CL-S set is out, wait for the Prototype racing headers are out... buy both for $1300 or less get them installed for $200...

Zipping down the 1/4 mile... priceless.
Old 05-17-2002, 11:13 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

This thing may not cause engine failure but will cause other problems with oil flow etc.,
Old 05-17-2002, 12:55 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Originally posted by aaron
here's the common problem with unorthodox pulleys, is that they replace the crankshaft pulley, and unless you get your crank shaft balanced before you put the pulley on, it will start to vibrate and eventually break your crank. Correct me if I am wrong, but on previously owned cars that I had I looked into their pulleys and everyone said don't get them because they will mess up your crank.
Where is that balancing devices on the crankshaft or crank pulley...
Everyone is saying that it would fuck up somthing... please we need evidence!
Old 05-17-2002, 01:42 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
The procedure to change the crank pulley is damn easy... remove a bolt.. clean up the crank shaft, use anti-sieze compound and reinstall the bolt.. torque to the spec...

Pretty straight forward!
But usually that bolt is tight as phuck!
Old 05-17-2002, 02:22 PM
Banned

I guess that answers my question on whther the pulley serves as a harmonic balncer or just a vibration dampener.

I'd still like to see more details on the dyno though. Correction factors? Done on same day? Same dyno?

That increase just seems high to me...15% increase in hp and 34% in tq. If it's legit, hell I'll buy one and I don't even have an Acura
Old 05-17-2002, 05:11 PM
4dr & I like it that way

What cars is this currently availible for?
Old 05-17-2002, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Me and PhiTL will have them for sure.

can't wait. can't wait whoo hoo
Old 05-17-2002, 06:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Guys. Don't look at the gain from one dyno to the other. One of the dynos was done last year and the 2nd one was done last week. Comparing 2 different dynos on 2 totally different days is not accurate at all for several reasons: climate, humidity, air filter cleanliness, how recent oil change was, gas used, etc. SAE correction only gives so much accuracy albeit more accurate than STD.

The good news is that the owner of those prototypes was told by the company that the production pullies are lighter and of the 2 dynos the 2nd dyno was done in 30 degree hotter weather than when the first was done. Plus a stock V6 Accord usually dynoes at around 155-160hp. This guy has cold air intake and the pullies and is dynoing in the 170's.

We're going to have a group buy at v6accord.com. The more the merrier. For Accords it looks like it will be under $300 shipped.
Old 05-18-2002, 03:52 PM
4dr & I like it that way

Hey Nashua_Night_Hawk, will you dyno your car before/after? I see they have them for the 99TL, so I'm very interested in these, but I'd like to see how they perform on a 3.2L before I drop $300 for the pulley kit. Oh yea, any idea how much install would run on these?
Old 05-19-2002, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
will they void our warranty? i'm assuming they will. :o
Old 05-19-2002, 06:18 PM
Got BOOST????

i was speaking to a good friend at a performance shop, and he said the crank is the same size, just lighter. Anyone else have any thoughts.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

The gains seem awfully high for a set of pulleys.

Does someone have the change in diameter vs. stock and the difference in weight vs. stock?

From the dyno, I'd think the stock piece was made out of depleted Uranium (DE) or spun all of the accesories at half speed!

Interesting that the AEM pulleys only show about 2-3HP gain on a CLS...
Old 05-19-2002, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by EricL
The gains seem awfully high for a set of pulleys.

Does someone have the change in diameter vs. stock and the difference in weight vs. stock?

From the dyno, I'd think the stock piece was made out of depleted Uranium (DE) or spun all of the accesories at half speed!

Interesting that the AEM pulleys only show about 2-3HP gain on a CLS...
i heard 6 lb. savings wow...6 pounds....not sure if thats true and it could be 6 from the whole set...the AEM doesnt use the crank at all...i think this is where most of the gains are coming from...
Old 05-19-2002, 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by typeR
i heard 6 lb. savings wow...6 pounds....not sure if thats true and it could be 6 from the whole set...the AEM doesnt use the crank at all...i think this is where most of the gains are coming from...

6lbs is a lot of weight...

Let me know if someone car verify this...
Old 05-19-2002, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
the stock crank pulley must rob a lot of hp & tq.

it will be nice when someone figures out for sure if this will work on our cars.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:16 AM
2002 NBA Champs!!!

so since it works for the accord v6 i can buy the same for my first gen cl?
Old 05-20-2002, 11:23 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

FYI:

Unorthodox Racing's President is logged on www.v6accord.com to answer your questions