Unbiased comptech swaybar thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unbiased comptech swaybar thoughts

I'm getting ready to do another run at upgrading.

Here is the order list (it keeps getting squished around on paper, but...)

1. Comptech headers (I'm sold -- orders going out).

2. AEM induction. I'd like Xepher's, but I never get an e-mail returned (very nice guy).

-->> Sways <<--

I would like to have them installed at the same time I have the dealer do the headers (I think I can handle the CAI).

I already have the Toyo T1S 235/45ZR-93W* Proxies and SSR Competition rims (17x8" +48 offset), so the car is glued to the road and rides better than stock.

I know some of you, have installed the tires, wheels, and sways. Do you ever have second thoughts about bigger ones, better ones, progressive ones (not commonly available), adjustable ones?

I would appreciate any input!
Old 04-04-2001, 03:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I first of all love the sways and the way my car handles now, but I do have to admit w/ the springs, and sways my ride is more stiff, like when I go over speed bumps or small pot holes or when I go on road when I go over a gap in the road like when bridges meet or when the construction on the road isn't perfect. but Over all if a little bump doesn't bother you go get them. More cons than pros IMO.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 04-04-2001, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Eric,

If you drive up to the bay area you can drive my car man. I got the sways in and they are AWESOME. The only difference I notice is driving on an uneven (wavy) highway road at 65+ MPH the car seems a bit stiffer than normal, other than that no real negative qualities.

The benefits are HUGE, the steering feels totally different. I didn't get a chance to race the car this past weekend but I will this upcoming weekend and I'll post a full review.

------------------
Silver CL-S w/ Navi, Spoiler, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, 19169, 9005
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on 17X8 SSR Competition Wheels (47.2 lbs lighter than stock wheel+tire setup)
Comptech Sways
G-Tech (Full tank of gas, 60F, VSA off, SS) - 5.94 seconds
V-1 Hardwired
Old 04-04-2001, 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I just hit the big BUY button over at Tim's. Hoping to enjoy the AEM, headers, AND sways soon.

Old 04-04-2001, 04:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

you definitely won't regret getting the sways. Body roll is all but non-existant with them. Even on the crappy stock rubber, my car feels like a sports car with the springs/sways.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
PIAA 19169
Old 04-04-2001, 06:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

my sways are setting on my garage floor waiting for me to install, maybe this weekend
Old 04-04-2001, 07:06 PM
Instructor

In my opinion, the sways are not even close to worth the money if you dont have the springs. I installed a strut bar aoubt 8 months ago and i noticed a large difference. I would say i could do almost every turn 7 mph faster. THen last week i installed the sway bars expected a huge difference. I could barely tell the difference and ihave been told htat it is because without new springs, my sways wont even get a chance to show off its performance. I guess i just have to find out. Im probably planning on getting the Eibach Pro kit sometime this weekend.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Diamond Nicrome Limo Mirror Tint
Undetectable K40 w/t Diffuser
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Old 04-04-2001, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AirC:
In my opinion, the sways are not even close to worth the money if you dont have the springs. I installed a strut bar aoubt 8 months ago and i noticed a large difference. I would say i could do almost every turn 7 mph faster. THen last week i installed the sway bars expected a huge difference. I could barely tell the difference and ihave been told htat it is because without new springs, my sways wont even get a chance to show off its performance. I guess i just have to find out. Im probably planning on getting the Eibach Pro kit sometime this weekend.

</font>
hmmmm, this makes no sense at all. The sways will work LESS once you have stiffer springs I would imagine since they will reduce the body roll themselves. I got sways and I notice that the body roll is almost non-existant now. Springs will lower your center of gravity and reduce your body roll, hence improving your cornering. Sways will just reduce your body roll.

------------------
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on 17X8 SSR Competition Wheels (47.2 lbs lighter than stock wheel+tire setup)
Comptech Sways
V-1 Hardwired
Old 04-04-2001, 08:36 PM
My other car is a 350Z

I had the sways installed on my CL-S a week ago. The reduction in body roll is significant.

However, I concur with Technique who mentioned that the steering feels totally different with the Comptech sways. I believe this is a more significant benefit that the reduction in body roll. In turns where the feeling with the stock sways was very vague and numb, the Comptech sways increase the feel and sensation of where you are in the turn and how hard you are pushing the limit of the car's grip. As I had mentioned in another thread, with the improved steering feel, I now take turns at a higher speed, and unfortunately easily reach the limits of the stock rubber. In your case, with your Toyo's and the addition of sways, you will have the capability of a lot of speed in turns!

------------------
Mike
2001 Satin Silver CL-S
Comptech headers, sways, PIAA 19169

"Never underestimate the power of a dark CLown!" - Darph Bobo
Old 04-04-2001, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Technique:
hmmmm, this makes no sense at all. The sways will work LESS once you have stiffer springs I would imagine since they will reduce the body roll themselves. I got sways and I notice that the body roll is almost non-existant now. Springs will lower your center of gravity and reduce your body roll, hence improving your cornering. Sways will just reduce your body roll.

</font>
Your logic makes perfect sense to me. (My comment is not going to be nearly as simple and elegant).

If tires were already loosing grip and the car was not "seeing" enough g-force to cause body roll, then the addition of the sways would be useless.

So, whoever is saying that the addition of the springs is necessary, knows something rather rare and unique, or is just plain wrong. Following this logic further, the springs and sways would now further increase the stiffness of an already stiff enough car.

I have seen pictures of "project" cars that are so stiff, that the car actually drops its cornering force, since its just picking one or more wheels up and any bounce in a real road will just knock the car all over the road (the suspension might as well be replaced by solid bars in lieu of springs).

So the springs could only be effective from the standpoint of lowering the center of gravity (CG) of the car.

--- ouch ---

Old 04-04-2001, 10:25 PM
Instructor

I agree with Mike on this one; the change from the sways alone is SIGNIFICANT. The steering response and feel is much tighter and cornering is incredible. Its hard to believe what a change $300 could make; I can easily see now that better tires are needed to hold at the limits that the sways let you approach.

------------------
Silver CL-s, spoiler, splash guards, PIAA 19169's, Comptech sways
Old 04-04-2001, 11:11 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

How difficult is it to install sways? Is that something you can do in the garage with a couple of jacks? Or is it better left to the real professionals? I'm thinking of picking up a set of the Comptech Sways and am wondering how much the install might cost me (if I can't do it myself).

------------------
Sid Vicious
2001 CL Type S w/ NAV in Silver | Mobil 1 |
1992 Ford Ranger XLT in Silver | F-150 Springs | 3" Body Lift | K&N Filter | Flowmaster Exhaust
Old 04-04-2001, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I think you may be able to do the rear sway bar yourself, but the front I heard is more difficult. Anyway, you need to replace the bushings with the polyurethane ones that come with the comptech sways. I'd recommened having a dealer do it unless you are VERY confident in your abilities as a shade-tree mechanic and you've done this stuff before. Shouldn't cost you more than $75 to get them in, it's 1 hour of labor.

------------------
Comptech Sways
V-1 Hardwired
Old 04-05-2001, 04:23 PM
Pro

Just got Comptech springs and sways, plus 18 rims and 225/40 P7000 tires installed on my TL last weekend. Ride is definitely stiffer, but not unbearably so. Can definitely feel the imperfections in the road more, but that is the stiffness that I wanted. Improvement in handling is amazing. Sway install was $50 at Discount Tire El Monte, but was part of the overall package so I can't guarantee they'll give that price to you.
Old 04-05-2001, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Hmm that is all very interesting. I really dont see why my sways did not feel a complete difference. Perhaps its because i alreayd had the front strut bar replaced and i felt a great difference in that. I am also only running with a CLP which means a slightly lower performance tire and 205's vs the CLS 215, but to me they are both too skinny. Would anyone happen to have any clue why i barely feel any difference in my new sways? I know when i do the quick turns it just squeels liek hell.. the tires that is....and someone told me that i need to lower the car so it would be grounded more or something so then my sways get a chance to show its performance. THanks everyone for hte input.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Diamond Nicrome Limo Mirror Tint
Undetectable K40 w/t Diffuser
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Old 04-05-2001, 04:53 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AirC:
Hmm that is all very interesting. I really dont see why my sways did not feel a complete difference. Perhaps its because i alreayd had the front strut bar replaced and i felt a great difference in that. I am also only running with a CLP which means a slightly lower performance tire and 205's vs the CLS 215, but to me they are both too skinny. Would anyone happen to have any clue why i barely feel any difference in my new sways? I know when i do the quick turns it just squeels liek hell.. the tires that is....and someone told me that i need to lower the car so it would be grounded more or something so then my sways get a chance to show its performance. THanks everyone for hte input.

</font>
You need new tires. Definitely get as big as will fit, 215, 225, whatever. And get STICKY tires, like Toyo T1-S proxes or Pole Positions (Toyos are just as sticky but are not as harsh).

------------------
Comptech Sways
V-1 Hardwired