Turbo CL-S vs. 350Z TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 06:15 PM
13.68 @ 102.56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
Those are nice cars with great setups.... but your generalization is quite invalid as there is no CL boosting 9psi for comparison!

I think the 409whp is easily achieved in a CL-S, IMHO.

How about a TLS at 9lbs.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Racer

hmm...

Not worth going to the track without proper tires.... so not for a while!

You really think you'll run 112? I think it's doubful unless you're pushing at least 380 fwhp... 112 is pretty damn fast. You should pay the twenty bucks for test and tune just to see how fast your car traps, and forget about the launch... that way you have a real idea of how fast your car is instead of just "guesses" as to your speed. Not to diss, but you might be humbled by the speed... like I said, 112 is damn fast.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Racer

exactly

Originally Posted by jtkz13
Maybe losers is a bit harsh, but it's pretty sad that with all these SC'd 6 speeds on here noone has any track times.

What I was thinking... lots of speculation about 112 mph trap times, but no slips to back up the talk? And then lots more speculation about "dropping into low 13's or high 12's", but again, no slips? I'm talking specifically to you, typeR and allmotor.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Racer

not really

Originally Posted by scalbert
How many do we have, three?

As mentioned before, there are seriously more important things to do than to get track times; especially in this car. That said, there will be some track times soon.

Wow, when did you develop this pompous attitude??

pompous attitude. Granted, I drive a "rustang", but anytime I put mods on the car, I want to go to the track to see how fast it goes post mod. If you're gonna spend all that coin on a blower, aren't you curious to see what you're getting for your dollar? Forget the dyno, dyno is nice for garage queens. But if you blow your CL, and then you only trap 13.9, won't you be pissed as hell? In fact, forget the ET... maybe you trap 16 seconds. But what speed you're running through the traps doesn't lie... no matter your skill or not. Aren't you curious to see what kind of time your car will run after all that money on the blower?
Old 07-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Racer

Actually probably a lot of cars...

Originally Posted by mrsteve
I can't think of much else out there (FWD) that would out-handle the CL-S. Honda Prelude SH, Acura RSX, Mini Cooper S. Other than that?

Celica, Focus, CRX, Civic, SVT Contour, Integra, probably even the Accord...
Old 07-11-2004, 09:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by numbaonestunna
You really think you'll run 112? I think it's doubful unless you're pushing at least 380 fwhp... 112 is pretty damn fast. You should pay the twenty bucks for test and tune just to see how fast your car traps, and forget about the launch... that way you have a real idea of how fast your car is instead of just "guesses" as to your speed. Not to diss, but you might be humbled by the speed... like I said, 112 is damn fast.
I already hit 112mph with my previous setup with ~350whp (probably more when the car is actually moving and achieve better IC efficiency) and 12.9 on not-so-good tires, hence I am certain I can achieve that mph again. Slips were posted along with a video. I was hitting 13.5 @ 103 NA, so I know what my car is capable of.

Yes, I may be 'humbled'... but I am relatively confident as well.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Safety Car

What I was thinking... lots of speculation about 112 mph trap times, but no slips to back up the talk? And then lots more speculation about "dropping into low 13's or high 12's", but again, no slips? I'm talking specifically to you, typeR and allmotor.
I cannot talk to TypeR, but I have slips and videos for all my passes - search in the forum, you'll find them.

12.9x @ 111.x mph (old turbo kit)
13.5x @ 103 mph (NA)

This is no speculation... its fact!
Old 07-11-2004, 09:09 PM
Racer

Haha... well yeah, like I said if you're pushing around 380 fwhp I'd believe it. =) No engine work (stock rods, pistons, block, etc?) Does the CL have a knock sensor? How long before the dreaded "tick-tick-boom!"??? Mad props to you though for your turboed CL... I give more props to a CL running a 13.2 than an '03 Cobra running a 11.99... God knows you had a hell of a lot harder time doing it! =)
Old 07-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Safety Car

It's only 5-6psi, so I don't really forsee a 'tick-tick-boom' as you call it! In any case, I use the E-manage for timing and fuel tuning.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:08 AM
Racer

<shrug> Nothing's free... if the car was built for 210-ish fwhp, and you move it up to 350+ fwhp... it's not surprising that something will probably break. If not motor, than tranny. Just a fact of life... happens in all cars.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:57 AM
Safety Car

^^ Umm... okay! Thanks for your concern.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:26 AM
Suzuka Master

pompous attitude. Granted, I drive a "rustang", but anytime I put mods on the car, I want to go to the track to see how fast it goes post mod. If you're gonna spend all that coin on a blower, aren't you curious to see what you're getting for your dollar? Forget the dyno, dyno is nice for garage queens. But if you blow your CL, and then you only trap 13.9, won't you be pissed as hell? In fact, forget the ET... maybe you trap 16 seconds. But what speed you're running through the traps doesn't lie... no matter your skill or not. Aren't you curious to see what kind of time your car will run after all that money on the blower?

The post you quoted wasn't even for you.

Anyway, track times are coming as mentioned many times. I just have not had the time to get away at night to go 1.5 hours one way to Atlanta Dragway; 11 month old twin daughters take up considerable amount of time. I'm lucky I have gotten to where I am at in the last year. Plus, with the heat here in the south does not make a desirable track day.

Anyway, I will be heading to the track soon once I get ready with some traction enhancement parts I am making. The custom manifold/intercooler took me nearly 7 months to complete. So one month on the torque arms is pretty good especially considering the other home and professional project I have going on.

But once again, everyone is so fixed on what the track times are and have lost focus on what the CL is; a near luxury FWD sport coupe. It is not a drag vehicle. Plus, much of the effort wasn't to make the car the fastest at the strip; there are better platforms for that. It was to simply enhance the vehicles ability. But also it is the thrill of doing something different; the process being more enjoyable than the results.

But yes, track times are coming and will be posted. Heck, it took me several months to make it to the dyno after the manifold/IC was finished.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Haha... well yeah, like I said if you're pushing around 380 fwhp I'd believe it. =) No engine work (stock rods, pistons, block, etc?) Does the CL have a knock sensor? How long before the dreaded "tick-tick-boom!"???
We'll have to see how well it lasts. My last dyno showed 369 WHP and the car has been running like this for a couple of months now without incident. The A/F ratio is at a flat 11.75:1 and no knock is being registered (yes there is a knock sensor). The oil looked great at the last change and for the next change I will get an analysis done.

Only time will tell on how well these engines and drivetrain can handle the power being made. But so far it looks fine. I am pretty confident in Honda's ability to make an excellent engine which can make some power.

You must have missed the fact that allmotor_2000 went nearly 112 with the previous set up while making about 350 WHP. So it is not speculation; it is fact based on previous runs with less power.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Racer

haha...

^^ Umm... okay! Thanks for your concern.

Sorry if that came out weird... it wasn't meant to. I meant it in the nicest way possible, and seriously it was out of concern and a bit of curiousity. I have a crankshaft that I'm looking at right now that failed due to sheer load that was pulled out of a 427 ci forged motor that was beefy as hell, but basically the rev limiter didn't kick in (on an AT) and the motor grenaded itself. I was just curious as to what preventative steps you were taking to preserve the longevity of the motor/car... just like my own car, I want to get a smaller pulley and maybe port the blower, but I'm concerned that

a) I don't have enough fuel delivery, injections, pump, etc
b) I don't have a knock sensor, so if I'm unlucky with a bad tune/gas etc, I'll get the "tick tick boom!"

Oh yeah, I say tick tick boom because I'm literally heard it on three separate occassions... an older DSM eclipse (tick tick boom) a new blown '03 twin screw Mustang GT (tick tick boomm again) and the most painful, a '93 Integra LS with a single turbo (tick tick tick BOOM!!!)

Again, sorry if it comes off sounding like I'm punking you or your ride... I think a freaking turbo CL-s is pimp. .. especially because it probably looks like a slightly modded stocker... I can only imagine the faces you get when you blow the doors off of car who "know" that they're faster... =)
Old 07-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Racer

Oh yeah, AllMotor... where you live at? I'm in CA visiting family and would love to see your ride... if you're not sensitive about what's inside (a lot of people like to keep their stuff secret, I can respect that) I'm in Buena Park / Irvine. I'd race you, but I have a cavalier rental car... =)
Old 07-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Racer

that is some serious power...

Originally Posted by scalbert
We'll have to see how well it lasts. My last dyno showed 369 WHP and the car has been running like this for a couple of months now without incident. The A/F ratio is at a flat 11.75:1 and no knock is being registered (yes there is a knock sensor). The oil looked great at the last change and for the next change I will get an analysis done.

Only time will tell on how well these engines and drivetrain can handle the power being made. But so far it looks fine. I am pretty confident in Honda's ability to make an excellent engine which can make some power.

You must have missed the fact that allmotor_2000 went nearly 112 with the previous set up while making about 350 WHP. So it is not speculation; it is fact based on previous runs with less power.

Sounds real nice... especially with the knock sensor you have a good chance of keeping your motor together. =) Ever think about doing water injection?

Something like...

http://www.dawesdevices.com/water.html

I'm piecing together a kit for my car... I just wish I had a knock sensor. =)
Old 07-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Sounds real nice... especially with the knock sensor you have a good chance of keeping your motor together. =) Ever think about doing water injection?

Something like...

http://www.dawesdevices.com/water.html

I'm piecing together a kit for my car... I just wish I had a knock sensor. =)
I had an ERL Aquamist system on my old GTP and it worked fine. The problem there was that jets kept getting clogged with the EGR crud and the location made it a pain to remove them.

There is not really a need for H2O injection now as my custom intercooler is actually over sized and more than efficient enough to do the job. In some early testing I was seeing about a 75% efficiency on the system.

For fuel manangement and ignition control; allmotor_2000's kit and my car are using the GReddy E-Manage. This allows us to directly control fuel and spark as needed:

Old 07-12-2004, 08:08 PM
3rd Gear

Hi. Sorry for the late delay-

i get my Forums smart filtered at work.. and i've been pretty busy lately.. so i thought i'd just throw in my stuff-

i'm running the Power Enterprise twin turbo kit, with front mount i/c.
they are PE1420 turbos (ball bearing, made by IHI in japan)
the car has only a catback RSR gt2 exhaust system, running a single HKS SSQV bov, HKS EVC5 boost controller, and reflashed ECU.

that day i was messing with All_motor, i had my friend in the car, and unfortunately for me, i was pinging at anything at >6k. I had my boost set in at around 8.5psi. with the car NOT pinging, my shop had dynoed it at around 400+rwhp, but i have since changed that computer flash to bring it a little on the safer side until i have time to rebuild the motor with the pistons/rod set i have sitting at the shop.

i could tell early that Allmotor's CL was fast, he was on my bumper and when he gunned it, the car literally jumped.. i was very impressed. if you live in So Cal, you know 405 near the 101 interchange isnt the best place to race. due to the elevation changes and traffic. i would call this a simple friendly show of force.. i shifted early at around 5700 each time, and i think we got up to MAYBE 100+ but i couldnt tell. i just just trying not to kill myself with the cars infront and to the side of me...

as for wheels. i was running on my 19x10.5 rear / 19x9.5 front TE37s and my 4 wheel 14.1" Stoptech brakes all the way around, so my acceleration isnt as good as it used to be with my stock 18s, but i'm not trying to make excuses. just stating what i have.

i hope to see you sooner or later at LACR come on up.. the altitude and the heat is great (sarcastic).

--Cheston

edit: wow. this thread is actually pretty big.. thanks for my 350z bros posting due to my absence... yes. i admit. my 1/4 mile time suck. this is my first turbo car. and i ran that with 7.5psi.. (i used to have an SC maxima) anyhoo... hopefully i can meet up with some of the 'big dawgs' here on acura-cl.com, you all seem like true enthusiasts... cars are fun! we should keep it civil.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
you have a very nice car Cheston. hopefully you and Allmotor can meet up at the strip someday.

video will be a must.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Safety Car

Hey Cheston. Good to hear from you again!

Yes... you are more than welcome on acura-cl.com and most folks here tend to be civil, but as you are well aware there are the occasional morons with their ill-placed comments!

I completely agree with your description of the 'show of force'... that's all it was as I have alluded to from the beginning.

Anyways... I am in Taiwan and should be back tomorrow. After I get my car dyno'd and hopefully add more boost, we'll try to meet up at a acura-cl.com or my350Z.com meet.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Safety Car

Oh yeah, AllMotor... where you live at? I'm in CA visiting family and would love to see your ride... if you're not sensitive about what's inside (a lot of people like to keep their stuff secret, I can respect that) I'm in Buena Park / Irvine. I'd race you, but I have a cavalier rental car... =)
I am actually in Taiwan right now... I'll be back on Tuesday - not sure if you are there later on during the week, but PM me if you like. I live in Woodland Hills.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Safety Car

Mattg... you should put the lock on this thread now please.