Trunk leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 05:45 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk leak

Hi. I've searched and read every topic on the 'zine about this topic, but haven't found specifically what I'm looking for....

Something is leaking in my car... i.e., either the trunk or the back window. I end up with water where the jack sits in the trunk. I used jb weld and covered over the seams that are the channel, but that didn't work.

Now I'm thinking that somehow it must be coming from the back window leaking, but where?? While sitting in the back seat, I checked and there's no moisture on the parcel shelf, so is it leaking from the outside of the glass and somehow allowing water into the under part of the trunk area and then its just migrating down the underside of the channel? If so, is it possible to fix it without replacing the back glass? I'm out of window and recently had the glass tinted, so that would be a significant expense......

TIA.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:32 AM
Pro

Why wouldn't your warranty cover that?
BTW, there is another thread on that issue.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Instructor

Bump!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:33 AM
10th Gear

its the body seams under your trunk lid...my car is doing the same thing.....dealership tried to charge me $180 because it is not covered under warranty...i am going to get some seam sealer from autozone and do it myself.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Clarification??

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying the underneath side of the trunk itself or once the trunk is opened, the channel along side the trunk opening that water is supposed to run down?

If your suggesting that it's the channel, I used JB Weld and covered up the only visible seam and it is still leaking. That's why I was thinking its coming from the back window seal...

Look forward to your thoughts.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Instructor

You should take you trunk liner out to see exactly where it coming from. I mean all of it on the side it is leaking. There will be a trail to where its coming from. My guess is its the panel at the top of the wheel well in the rear. Up under the fender. Take your trunk liner out and spray in that area with a hose.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Frainky:

I appreciate your reply, but want to ensure we're on the same page... I climbed into the trunk the other day to try to find where the water is coming from and I learned that there is water on the underneath side of the channel that is supposed to allow the water to drain. Unfortunately, despite mirrors, lots of lighting, a multitude of minor cuts, and contorting myself, I cannot really tell where the water is coming from. Its wet up there and it drips down into the right side of the trunk where the little toolkit is.

Of course, that suggests that water is not coming in from underneath, near the spare, but from above, i.e., either the channel itself or the back window.

Does this description change your thoughts?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Instructor

No, Mine was leaking in on the drivers side, where the little storage space is the part of the wheel well i'm speaking of is at the top. Sure enough I took my liner out took my wheel off and sprayed the hose at the top of the wheel well and it looked as if it were leaking from the top. The top of the rear wheel well is higher that where the tool kit and jack sit. There was even a trail of water marks and dirt/sand that left a trail I could follow. It almost seemed as it was leaking in from behind the gas cap.which incidentally is where the panel I am speaking of is located. There are only a couple measly little panels keeping the trunk dry under the wheel well. You might even be able to find it with a flashlight. I just sprayed some rubberized sealant around the edges of the panel.

I even ended up taking the plastic cover under the gas cap off to find it mine was so loose it would wiggle.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Heres another test to find out if its what I think. Next time it rains see if your trunk is wet after wihtout driving. If it has rained and you havent driven and your trunk is wet its probably not the spot I think it is. In my case the wheel was throwing water up into the crack in the panel at the top of the wheel well. If it rained and I didnt drive,the drivers side of the trunk would still be dry. If you think its your seals then get in your trunk close it and have someone else spray your window and around the trunk seal. By the way theres a latch in the trunk right above the passthrough to let yourself out if someone wants to be funny.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the input. I do know that it gets wet even when sitting still. I tried the hose trick, but unfortunately, I still can't tell where its coming in as the water that hits the window comes down into the channel. I think its the window and I'm relunctant to attempt to get it resealed as I don't know if that's the problem... Besides, the local dealer doesn't do it... they'd kick it out to a body shop.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear

Angry having the same problem!! water leak in trunk

Hey there!

I'm actually happy to see that I'm not alone in this... I have a 2001 CL type S gold color model...

I've been going nuts about that problem for a month now. I'm having the same leak as you I think... Right side of the trunk and it drops into the tool box. Everytime it rains and I park outside, my trunk gets filled with water and my tool box on the right too.

I checked it out one day while it was raining and I saw the drips at the upper right inside corner of my trunk
So I bought some silicone I had 3 spots that I thought it might be the reason.. I thought I stoped it but still leaking...today it rained and my trunk got wet again!!!!

I still cannot figure out were it's leaking from.

By the way I had my back window tinted, they had to remove it to put the tint... maybe that's why?!? maybe it's leaking from the back window... I checked it, but cannot find any suspisious areas?!?

Let me know if you find a solutions

Thanks

P.Z.T.
pztawil@hotmail.com
Old 05-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Same problem here too

I have the exact same problem. Anybody knows where it might be from ???
Old 05-19-2005, 03:11 PM
3rd Gear

Talking water leak fixed

Hello there!

I finally go my problem fixed. I took my cl to my acura dealer in montreal canada... they checked it out and they told me that a lot of car of this model had this problem (3.2 cl type S). It was the seal around the back window. I know if sounds weird, when I was checking I never thought the leak would come from the rear widow...

Thing is, I had put tints on my car widows and the tint store had to remove the rear window in order to place the tint correctly. They might have had slightly misplassed it... Or with the winter cycle year after year the seal had deteriorated.

So they had removed the back window, changed the seal (they ordered a new one) and now it all good

It had rained several times since and it's all good, no more freakin water in my trunk

So if you have a leak in your trunk, take it to your dealer and let them have it checked out

Good luck!

Ciao

P.Z.T.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Intermediate

thanks cause i have that problem too and i was wondering if my num nuts brother slammed the trunk too hard one day. now i know to remind the dealer of this when i have my oil changed next week
Old 05-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pztawil
Hello there!

I finally go my problem fixed. I took my cl to my acura dealer in montreal canada... they checked it out and they told me that a lot of car of this model had this problem (3.2 cl type S). It was the seal around the back window. I know if sounds weird, when I was checking I never thought the leak would come from the rear widow...

Thing is, I had put tints on my car widows and the tint store had to remove the rear window in order to place the tint correctly. They might have had slightly misplassed it... Or with the winter cycle year after year the seal had deteriorated.

So they had removed the back window, changed the seal (they ordered a new one) and now it all good

It had rained several times since and it's all good, no more freakin water in my trunk

So if you have a leak in your trunk, take it to your dealer and let them have it checked out

Good luck!

Ciao

P.Z.T.
Really ? The leak doesn't look like it's coming from there. Which dealer did you go to (Laval or Brossard), and how much did it cost you (in canadian $)

P.S. I'm in Montreal too, so I might go the same dealer you went to.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same problem here.... i just had my car tinted as well... maybe that is the problem...
Old 05-20-2005, 09:49 AM
3rd Gear

Trust me if you have a leak, it's from there!! It looked very improbable for me too, looked all over... now that the seal is changed it's all good no more water

My dealer is in montreal, Acura Luciani on Jean-Talon (close to decarie and the 15)
4040 jean-talon ouest. (514) 340-9484

for the price cannot remember exactely, but was less than 100$. Depending how much of the seal is broken I guess, they have to check wich parts of the seal they have to order? shouldn't be too expensive though... don't worry about it.

Good luck!

P.Z.T.

Originally Posted by banana
Really ? The leak doesn't look like it's coming from there. Which dealer did you go to (Laval or Brossard), and how much did it cost you (in canadian $)

P.S. I'm in Montreal too, so I might go the same dealer you went to.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
took it by a local body shop today and they tracded it to a seam in the passenger side drain chanel of the trunk. the covered it with expoxy for free and are setting up an appointment. they said to seal it properly they need to remove the back window...
Old 05-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Racer

excellant use of this site, owners helping each other. this type of thread work continues to pay dividents for all cl owners willing to share experiance
Old 05-05-2007, 01:16 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
hey guys, i just looked at my trunk after 3+ days of raining, and it's wet under the tools area. so basically just resealing the rear windshield fixes this ? probably should be done at the dealer though ??? thxxxxxxxxx
Old 05-22-2007, 01:26 PM
FWD tuna boat

has anyone nailed down this issue? i've seen several solutions (trunk channel weld, weatherstripping, rear winshield seal).

please advise...
Old 05-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Well...it's kinda fast...

Most likely the trunk channel, up near the the right side hinge. Some cement / asphalt / silicone-based sealant should do the trick. I had the same issue a couple years ago, but this did the trick. I recommend the asphalt-based sealant since I have a NBP and it dries black.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Well, at least he searched. Good luck finding the solution.