Tranny Cooler Temps

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Cooler Temps

Now that I have a tranny cooler on the new tranny I decided to pull out my infrared laser temperature gun to see the temperture differential. So far I have only been driving around town but it is consistently about 135F at the inlet and 97 at the outlet - not too shabby. Next weekend I will be travelling down to Irvine on I-5 and will check out if the differential is any different at highway speeds on a long trip. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds good. I've noticed a nice difference in transmission performance after driving long periods since I've installed a trans cooler. No more abrupt gear changes and more consistent shifts even after hours of driving around.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:27 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
i need to get mine hooked back up , i did not route the lines the best and the axle rubbed on a line (but i knew it might do that though, when i did install it, so i was able to watch it)

but yes when it was installed, you could feel some heat coming from it though (just touched my hand to it though), enough that you could not hold it on there for too long

as far as keeping the tranny cooler/colder, on a long trip, SLOW DOWN to the speed limit, yeah i had mine overheat and puke it itself recently, but i was also cruising along at like 95-100 though , with also gaining quite a bit in elevation, so many small hills to go up, which i think was just steep enough for the torque convertor to not lock up, which also did not help that those temp by any means,
Old 07-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by friesm2000
i need to get mine hooked back up , i did not route the lines the best and the axle rubbed on a line (but i knew it might do that though, when i did install it, so i was able to watch it)

but yes when it was installed, you could feel some heat coming from it though (just touched my hand to it though), enough that you could not hold it on there for too long

as far as keeping the tranny cooler/colder, on a long trip, SLOW DOWN to the speed limit, yeah i had mine overheat and puke it itself recently, but i was also cruising along at like 95-100 though , with also gaining quite a bit in elevation, so many small hills to go up, which i think was just steep enough for the torque convertor to not lock up, which also did not help that those temp by any means,
Wow, I never thought about it overheating - thanks for the advice. I'll have to remember that when I make my long trek through the Rockies in a couple months.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:51 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by whiteknight
Wow, I never thought about it overheating - thanks for the advice. I'll have to remember that when I make my long trek through the Rockies in a couple months.
sweet... , especially if you do I-70, you climb up to like 11,000 feet at the eisenhower tunnel, so very thin air, along with a speed limit of like 65 or something (only like 2 hours away for me)

but yeah the only thing i really noticed when it did it the second time (yes, the 2nd time lol) was that the rpm's seemed to not be dropping fully, due to that gain in elevation, it was enough to cause the torque convertor to not lock up, but not enough to downshift to 4th though (i also was sitting with the cruise control on too), so extended periods of time with HIGH loads (aka going 95-100)

and actually i did just drive the same route again today, and i made it with no issues, but then again i was only doing like 85 at times though (speed limit is 75), and then when i did notice the torque convertor not locking up when in fifth, i put it in D4, which allowed it to have more torque from the gearing, but more important the torque convertor DID lock up, to minamize the production of the heat (as far as shifting to D4 from D5, no different then a normal shift other then you telling it to downshift instead of the ecu [but then again you still tell it to downshift already through the gas pedal lol], i know some people worry about somehow damaging the tranny)

also taking those occasional bathroom/stretch breaks help it too, when going uphill, especially if you can leave it running so everything can still circulate around; and transfer the heat to the coolant, when then goes through the radiator (also opening the hood helps too, so the heat can raise out instead of being trapped)

Last edited by friesm2000; 07-04-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:58 PM
B A N N E D

also yeah thank god i had fluid in the trunk though, i refilled it just enough and was able to get like 100 miles home, instead of having to pay that tow bill (so instead of oil, ATF is worth carrying instead, along with the tools necessary, but a waterbottle for a funnel does work though, just a little messy)

i just put the spare fluid in the spare tire well, inside of the actual spare, like a perfect spot for like 3 bottles of ATF (maybe even 4 idk), so in everyday driving i never even notice it being there

edit: also yes i had some camping stuff in the back too, so some additional weight, but not anywhere close to being full; and then maybe aerodynamicly it was bad, exterior wise was completely stock (so no rooftop carrier or anything), other then being lowered like 2.5", with the factory body kit

Last edited by friesm2000; 07-05-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:49 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
keep in mind guyz..if u live in cold weather 1/2 the year having a trans cooler is BAD for the tranny. It needs to be at proper operating temps thuse if u had the cooler on in the winter it'd take a good 10-15 mins just to GET to temp.

tranny shifts worst when it's cold vs when it's HOT. at least mine does.

the more i drive the better it gets... unless it's like 40 outside and i'm in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour
Old 07-05-2010, 12:30 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
keep in mind guyz..if u live in cold weather 1/2 the year having a trans cooler is BAD for the tranny. It needs to be at proper operating temps thuse if u had the cooler on in the winter it'd take a good 10-15 mins just to GET to temp.

the more i drive the better it gets... unless it's like 40 outside and i'm in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour
because the fluid is still viscos/thick to flow smoothly through the tiny passages, but that is also why you leave the stock one connected at least, so it does warm it up faster some, but you may not get the tranny as cool though, it's a trade off
Old 07-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01

I live in California so cold weather is not much of an issue. I agree that my old tranny shifted a little harder when it was cold. I'm sure this one will do the same when it finally sees cold weather. The strangest thing with my car when it sees below freezing temperatures over night, the navi doesn't work right for about 15 minutes. Weird ......