Track times...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 06:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by droideka:
ALLRIGHT! Settle down, you jackasses!

You know, I used this little app called Cartest 2000 that allows you to plug in all kinds of variables for any given vehicle and come up with it's approximate standing start times for 0-60 and the 1320. Guess what it said Webtoker should've run? 0-60 in 5.9s and a 1/4 mile time of 14.4. I figured with a tranny loss of 23.5% HP and 21% TQ that BHP numbers are 315HP and 274 lb. ft. of torque. I even dropped the height of the car by 2" to account for springs. Is this app infalible? No, but when I plug in WRX specs it gives me the EXACT numbers that people have already been posting across the 'Net from real-world tests.

With all that said, what a colassal fucking waste of money to gain a half second in the quarter mile! I am NOT trying to be a dick like Tom, , but when is spending $2,000+ (parts and install) to gain SO LITTLE a sound investment?

When my number is up next year, this car is going BYE BYE. I was once all excited about maybe keeping the CL-S, but these numbers that everyone is generating are very disheartening. Even with the massive HP gains the headers are supposedly yielding at the wheels, the numbers just aren't adding up to real performance improvements.

Flame the shit out of me if you wish, but you just can't turn the CL-S into any kind of a track monster without some serious surgery.

</font>
Droideka,
I agree with you whole heartedly, I love my Type S, one of the best rides I have ever had (and comfortable to boot), but this car is just not a race car. I have taken her to some autoX's, and to an event at the Texas World Speedway and the car is good, but it's just not a race car.

Some of these times being posted are pretty frightening (and a little hard for me to digest, but hell I might just have one of those damned slow ass production models ).

1) The car is just to damned heavy to be a serious contender.

2) The slush box is great for convenience, but sucks for performance and performance get's significantly worse with age.

I spent a great deal of money on the ride (shit I got headers, springs, and sways, and the sways helped out the most I believe). But after ahwile the cost just wasn't worth doing many more mods (until that Supercharger comes out, and then I might have to revisit ).

Again not trying to put down anyone here, but in honesty the car's good, but it's not great. Just glad I bought an Acura because I plan on keeping it for awhile So all the mods didn't go to wast.

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 04-29-2001, 07:28 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I would EXPECT that a mod such as headers which puts down 30 additional horses to the WHEELS would yield better standing start gains than .3-.5 seconds.
</font>
I understand your point.....

But to be honest, a mod that promises 30 HP will never give you huge performance gains in the CL-S. Maybe on a smaller, much lighter car that has around 100 HP to begin with.....

Like you already said- trade up to Audi or BMW next. You won't be disappointed.

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-29-2001, 07:32 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom2:
I understand your point.....

But to be honest, a mod that promises 30 HP will never give you huge performance gains in the CL-S. Maybe on a smaller, much lighter car that has around 100 HP to begin with.....

Like you already said- trade up to Audi or BMW next. You won't be disappointed.

</font>
And bring 15k more than what you paid for your CL Type S with you at least...

------------------
Mustang Killa

[This message has been edited by WebToker (edited 04-29-2001).]
Old 04-30-2001, 02:01 AM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:

Again, that’s why I bought my TypeS. The last thing I would want would be a shitty camaro or mustang. Have your taken a ride in those lately? They are the most poorly built cars for what you pay. I wanted a nice car that I can go fast in. What’s so wrong with that? Fuck buying a lower class car just to go fast. Some of you will never understand or get what I am saying but I know there are a few of us on the board that know exactly what I am talking about.
</font>

I know what you're saying.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 04-30-2001, 02:04 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now go run your ass up against a GS430. Should be interesting since you're probably hitting around the same 0-60 as they are now. Good luck.

</font>
Ummm ... how much is the GS430? 30K? I'll buy it/

------------------
'01 Silver CL-S
Old 04-30-2001, 02:06 AM
fastest time 13.4@107 !!!

14.8 is my best time in my fist gen CL
Old 04-30-2001, 03:01 AM
Race Director

this thread is fueled with anger, i think i will click on that icon that says "print friendly copy" on the top of the tread and read that for a much nicer transcript of this thread.

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Currently on TL rims with Nokian Winter Tires
My Bitch

[This message has been edited by amirsafdari (edited 04-30-2001).]
Old 04-30-2001, 03:02 AM
Who's Your Daddy

Hey Webtoker...the other night after the meet when everyone got on the road I also beat a mustang...it was right before i saw dave matthews...I beat him twice......he was in a 5.0 LX...probably early 90's..he too was surprised...

------------------
Silver 01' Type-S w/all the trimmins
Acura loyalty
retired a 2000 TL and a 94' Acura Legend Coupe
Comptech Springs, axle-back exhaust,headers
AEM CAI
yellow bumper (fog lights) bulbs
Clear Headlights
Old 04-30-2001, 03:15 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amirsafdari:
this thread is fueled with anger, i think i will click on that icon that says "print friendly copy" on the top of the tread and read that for a much nicer transcript of this thread.

</font>
See whats funny about what you say is the fuel to the anger in this post comes from the same people that do it many others. Still is a good post in my opinion.
Old 04-30-2001, 03:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are MISSING MY FUCKING POINT!!!

Would YOU want to be seen in a Mustang/Firebird/Camaro? I wouldn't. I said what I said about the CL-S's performance because I would EXPECT that a mod such as headers which puts down 30 additional horses to the WHEELS would yield better standing start gains than .3-.5 seconds. Understand?

The simple fact of the matter I'm having to cope with now is that horses along aren't going to do it. We need a serious torque upgrade which may only come about with a supercharger. I'd much rather turn a CL-S into a beast and embarass Mustang drivers than resort to driving a Mustang myself. Instead, when I turn in the CL-S next April, I'll be moving over to BMW, Audi or MB.

</font>
Actually, there is a "POINT" that is getting missed by everything I've seen here so far.

Its not the HP or the TORQUE but the area under the curve. If we had a CVT, then what I just said would be totally false, and I'd get my assumption kicked up my rear. A CVT would keep the engine on that 30+ HP sweet spot for the bulk of a 1/4 mile run, and it would help quite a bit more.

Since we only have an Auto tranny with 5-speeds and they are not exactly close ratio (to say the least), the car is not sitting in the "meaty" part of the curve (headers and AEM) for very long.

If you want equivalent power over the whole band, get a:

Super charger -- torque and HP up for the whole curve.

Stroker kit -- torque and HP up for the whole curve.

Weight loss kit -- same force, but less non-rotational mass to push through the whole curve

Lighter wheels/pulleys/etc -- same force, but less rotational mass to spin-up through the whole curve.

If you look at Mike's dyno (and others), the flat part of the torque curve gets extended by about 1000 rpm and the significant HP gains are from 5000+ RPM to 7100 RPM.

With the setup we have, we are only getting an approximate 10% power boost over a very narrow range.

I did notice that Mike got better times from the lightened wheels -- they work through the entire range.

So, given the gearing WE currently have, we shouldn't forget that it is the area under the curve that means the most (Integrals come to mind).

(This is just my opinion -- depending on FWD, # of gears, and type of transmissions, this subject could be debated and argued like crazy...)

This is just some additional food for thought -- please just consider it as such -- no more no less [and I didn't check all the hp graphs today...]

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-30-2001, 04:48 AM
Race Director

tom2, i like you man, your an entertaining SOB dont leave this board, ever.

and i am being seriuos, no sarcasm here..

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Currently on TL rims with Nokian Winter Tires
My Bitch
Old 04-30-2001, 10:20 AM
Racer

Good numbers W/T. With the heat and humidity here, you will have to wait until winter to see the full effect of your mods. Still, very good runs.

------------------
CL-S
White/Parchment
Gold Emblems
Mud Guards / Wheel Locks
Spoiler
Winter Floor Mats
Old 04-30-2001, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Everyone show up at Englishtown 5/26....

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X8 Competition Wheels, Brembo Brakes.