Took out old school GTO and a bunch of Pontiacs!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Quicker than U Think

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took out old school GTO and a bunch of Pontiacs!!

Well, the second race of the Pontiac Drag Days series ran at LACR. I made one change to my car, I removed my homemade gutted airbox and replaced it with a 9" open cone K&N. Had some HUGE improvements. Went from a previous PB of 14.65@93.5 to 14.42@96.3. This was at the same track in similar weather conditions with similar 60's. Picked up over 2 tenths and almost 3mph. Corrected for elevation that puts me at 13.95@99. Finally, eeking 13s. And yes Mike, I will now have to make a trip down to Carlsbad. Probably in May or June though.

In the practice runs, I was lined up against a beautiful 60s GTO. The driver was wearing a helmet and the car seemed to be slightly modded(lopy idle and such). Being this was Pontiac Drag Days, there was some beautiful muscle cars around. Well, I was expecting to get completely destroyed, but I got the hole shot. I pulled about 2 cars on the line, then kept pulling. At the 1/8th I checked my mirror and he was still there and didn't appear to be gaining. Near the finish line, I once again checked my mirror, and he was even further back. I kept waiting for him to pull me up top, but it never happened. The printer jammed, so I don't know his time, my friend said I ran a 14.49 @96. There should be video of this run up later in the day. I'll post the link.

The track announcers were giving me a hard time for driving a Buick in an all Pontiac event(what else is new). On each run they either made fun of me, or made fun of the guy I ran against. In the first round I was lined up against my buddy Rick in his highly modded Grand Prix GT(no blower). He dialed 14.90 to my 14.45.(remember this is 2700ft, so his GT is pretty strong). We both slept at the light, but him worse than me. I realed him in by the 1/8th and then let up at the end. I ran a 14.60@92(let off a lot I guess, I was trapping 96 all day). Here is a link to the vid. Right click and save as.
http://www.scacgp.com/Videos/GS_Dave.wmv

Listen to it with the sound on, so you can hear the track announcer. They cut off his last sentence, but he went on and on about a Pontiac loosing to a Regal.

I wound up redlighting in the semi-finals where I ran my new PB.

RT .478
60' 2.224
1/8 9.340@76
1/4 14.42@96.3

So after two races in the ALL PONTIAC series, I am tied for 1st place!!! LOL Gotta love it!!!

Anyway, I think Powerdfx is gonna have his hands full next time if he thinks he can match my times.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

You knocked off 2 tenths with the change of an air filter? Nice!

tell those announcers to eat it
Old 03-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Quicker than U Think

Originally posted by mantis23
You knocked off 2 tenths with the change of an air filter? Nice!

tell those announcers to eat it
Yes, 2+ tenths and almost 3mph. I definately was choking my engine for air!!! I guess any restriction gets multiplied because of the blower. The funny thing is, my air intake temps were 40 degrees higher!!! But the increase in volume of air more than made up for the temp increase. I think if I get or build a real CAI box around the filter, I will drop the IATs a bit, and eeek a few more hp out of it. I was getting a lot of Knock Retard and the PCM was pulling timing, the increased air got rid of my KR, and thus I was finally running with full timing.

As for the track announcers, I actually love it, its the whole sleeper thing. But the best part is winning, I'm tied for 1st place in the points!!!! Its an 8 race series, and they take your best 6 finishes, I have a 2nd and 3rd place finish after two events.

Dave
Old 03-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Took out old school GTO and a bunch of Pontiacs!!

Originally posted by GS Dave
And yes Mike, I will now have to make a trip down to Carlsbad. Probably in May or June though.

was it something i said?

congrats on the PBs!
Old 03-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Is there a prize for the overall point winner?
Old 03-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Quicker than U Think

Originally posted by mantis23
Is there a prize for the overall point winner?
I think just trophy and recognition at the year end banquet. I have two trophies so far, I actually like the third place one better, since it says "Pontiac Drag Days - 6 - Pack Runner-Up".

The second place one is bigger, but it just says LA County Raceway.

The site for the series is www.pontiacdragdays.com

Yes Mike, it was something you said. I will try to make it down there this summer when the drag days is on hold due to high desert heat. That is if I am still living in SoCal. I have a job interview in South Florida next week.

Dave
Old 03-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Oh how embarrassing..."

Man they really were giving you shit. Nice runs though.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Drifting

nice....
Old 03-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on 1st place. Sounds like a good time.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Intermediate

Congrats. That would be great...a Buick winning the Pontiac Drag Days series

You have a nice car. I like the sleeper look. I hope you win.

You have any pics of your "duce and a quarter"?
Old 03-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Quicker than U Think

Originally posted by murphman331
Congrats. That would be great...a Buick winning the Pontiac Drag Days series

You have a nice car. I like the sleeper look. I hope you win.

You have any pics of your "duce and a quarter"?
Thanks....I threw together a cardomain site a while back with a couple of pictures of the car at a gas station. lOL I will get some better picts when I clean her up.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/electra_dave

Dave
Old 03-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Intermediate

Thanks....I threw together a cardomain site a while back with a couple of pictures of the car at a gas station. lOL I will get some better picts when I clean her up.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/electra_dave

Dave
Thanks for the link Dave. I have always like the old duce and a quarters. I bet that baby can drink some gas

Once again good luck on the drag races.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Got a Job!

hey gsdave, great runs

I got a question...Ive never been to the strip for to run my car, however I've been to LACR cuz its like an hour away from me to watch. Now i've heard that LACR has horrible times and that it needs to be corrected due to sea level adjustment?? What is the exact time adjustment? What should I expect to run there with my stock 01 CL-S? Also, how is the track there? Is it pretty sticky or what? Thanks!
Old 03-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

dave,
nice pulls. i didnt know your car needed breathing that bad. next time i come out, i will let you know. however, i am going to be evening out specs between the cars first. its not fair until i start forcing some air in
Old 03-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Quicker than U Think

Dem1k,
the correction factors on the site changed a little. It used to be .9679 for ET and 1.03 for mph. They use .97 now on the website, though the official NHRA correction I believe is still .9679. For my corrections I use .9679 and 1.03.

Stock CLSs run what, 14.8-14.0 at sea level, making that assumption, you would be running around 15.3-15.5 at LACR. The thing with LACR is that is is not only a problem with elevation, but also it is a very, very SLICK track. Probably the slickest in Cali. Its good to practice on though, if you can feather the thottle there, your 60's will improve at any other track. You sohould come out on one of the grudge nights, you get lots of runs. Especially Wed, and its only $15.

Power3dfx, yes, I didn't realize I was choking the motor so bad for air, as a matter of fact, I was choking it so bad that it increased the output temps of the blower and caused all that Knock Retard I was seeing. At least that is the consensus of my buddies. My timing went from 11 to 17 now. That is probably where all my mph came from.

I will only be running one more time at LACR, that is March 20th. I'll post the reasons probably later tomorrow. It involves moving out of state....near a sea level track

The deuce gets about 9mpg...on a good day. On bad days we measure in gallons per mile.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Intermediate

The deuce gets about 9mpg...on a good day. On bad days we measure in gallons per mile.
DAMN
Old 03-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Got a Job!

eh GS Dave, could we roll together on the 20th and you show me shit so I have some1 to help me b4 I make runs. As I mentioned i've never done it...frankly I'm nervous I'll fuck up and people will laugh lol. I have no idea about what to do, esp like tire pressure, gas, this, that, so yeah. Get back to me
Old 03-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Quicker than U Think

Originally posted by Dem1K
eh GS Dave, could we roll together on the 20th and you show me shit so I have some1 to help me b4 I make runs. As I mentioned i've never done it...frankly I'm nervous I'll fuck up and people will laugh lol. I have no idea about what to do, esp like tire pressure, gas, this, that, so yeah. Get back to me
Sure, except I live real close to the track, so I won't really be rolling up with you. I will be running in the Pontiac drag days, so we wouldn't be able to race head to head(unless I lose early). But I would be more than happy to show you the ropes, its pretty straight forward, and once you have a few runs under your belt, you will know your way around, just ask Power3dfx, he was a natural after only a few runs!!!!

It looks like there will be quite a few clubs on the 20th, check the www.lacr.net schedule. I don't know how many runs you could get in, but usually towards the end of the day, you can hot lap it a little(run one run right after the next). During the regular day, it might be 1-2 hours between runs.