Tire Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002 | 09:59 AM
One Bad Mutha

From: From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
Tire Upgrade

I love my 2001 S Type, but having owned smooth luxury riders in the past, the ride is a little choppier than what I am used to. Tires are ready for a change, can I perhaps go with a 55 series or a 235/50 rather than the stock 215/50's for a little smoother ride, do they make 215/50's in a "H series", I know it sounds stupid, but I am in it for looks, rather than dragging. Besides, the the only folks that seem to wanna race me are the big boys, i.e. Camaro, Mustang, etc. The mini import crews (Civic, Integra, etc)seems intimidated by me, does anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-24-2002 | 10:12 AM
'Cooter

Re: Tire Upgrade

Originally posted by chatapuggy1
I love my 2001 S Type, but having owned smooth luxury riders in the past, the ride is a little choppier than what I am used to. Tires are ready for a change, can I perhaps go with a 55 series or a 235/50 rather than the stock 215/50's for a little smoother ride, do they make 215/50's in a "H series", I know it sounds stupid, but I am in it for looks, rather than dragging. Besides, the the only folks that seem to wanna race me are the big boys, i.e. Camaro, Mustang, etc. The mini import crews (Civic, Integra, etc)seems intimidated by me, does anyone else have this problem?
what kind of tires u looking for??? all-seasons, 3-seasons??
any brands of tires u like more than others??? any brands u r totally against???
Old 06-24-2002 | 10:15 AM
Drifting

Re: Tire Upgrade

do they make 215/50's in a "H series"???????????
Old 06-24-2002 | 10:20 AM
Administrator Alumnus

I doubt a "H" rated tire would have the correct load rating. Especially, if you're looking for a 215/50.
Old 06-24-2002 | 10:22 AM
One Bad Mutha

From: From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
I am in So Cal, so no snow, no Z rated please!!! I had a Vigor once that was clean, put 18" on it with Z rated it rode like a brick, road are not that smooth here in Cali. Prefer some kind of touring ride tire (Dont laugh) Its just that I like to take long drives, the smoothness is nice, Tire preference doesnt matter, Best i ever had was Yokohama Avid T4 (Touring), I prefer less road noise and comfort to racing, I could give a little on the handling also, Sorry for the "H rated tire" don't know if thats a real rating, I was told the lower the rating the softer the sidewall thus resulting in more comfort????????
Old 06-24-2002 | 10:27 AM
Learn to swim

Sounds like you need a suspension down grade. The stock tires are a touring rated tire already. I think the stiff S suspension would be the problem.

Oh, Don't worry about civic's and so on.
Take on the Stang's and Maro's.
Old 06-24-2002 | 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I am in So Cal, so no snow, no Z rated please!!! I had a Vigor once that was clean, put 18" on it with Z rated it rode like a brick, road are not that smooth here in Cali. Prefer some kind of touring ride tire (Dont laugh) Its just that I like to take long drives, the smoothness is nice, Tire preference doesnt matter, Best i ever had was Yokohama Avid T4 (Touring), I prefer less road noise and comfort to racing, I could give a little on the handling also, Sorry for the "H rated tire" don't know if thats a real rating, I was told the lower the rating the softer the sidewall thus resulting in more comfort????????

Well, I sure like the Toyo T1S, but you're into comfort...

You might want to try the Yoko AVS-dBs in a 235/45-17. They are very "soft" riding and very quiet and don't squeal on the concrete in my wife's parking garage -- the stock MXM4s would sound like some "early warning system"...

And the stock tires are "Grand Touring tires"...
Old 06-24-2002 | 07:19 PM
Pro

I really think the choppiness in the ride is due more to the rear springs being a bit stiffer than needed for even agressive street handling. I'm in So. Cal. as well so I feel your issue, especially on the 405! The rear springs control ride characteristics more than the fronts, even though the front is heavier.

You might try getting someone's CL-P (non type-S) rear springs and swap them in. The fronts are fine, if a little soft already in my opinion. I don't think you'll find a tire that rides much smoother than the stock Michelin's since they are not racy at all. A higher sidewall would generally help but then you'd have to go narrower to get the same circumference. (a 205/55 would be 5mm taller in sidewall hight).

I rode in a Mercedes S500 with Michelin Pilot 275/40 R18's and it rode better than our Type-S, so it's not just the tires.
Old 06-24-2002 | 08:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by dgracer
[B
I rode in a Mercedes S500 with Michelin Pilot 275/40 R18's and it rode better than our Type-S, so it's not just the tires. [/B]
The 500SL doesn't have the "usual" POS springs and shocks.

it had: active body control (ABC) and active suspension (among other goodies) and it can do wonders for "handling" and "ride"

If you want to carry it a bit farther, there's no need for springs, just gas pressure and valving to make for infinitely adjustable suspension (from land yacht [aka float-a-type] to fillings buster]. It's all coming (with American car makers [some] going to shocks with Magneto-Rheological Fluid shocks and other innovations in the suspension (sways bars that "disconnect" when not in use), and even altered suspension (patented) with the geometry altered to produce anti-roll characteristics with no stiff sway bars to jostle the passengers over broken pavement, and so on...

http://www.carrerashocks.com/MagneShock%20Gen2.htm

(just an opinion) As for the spring swap, I would probably tell someone to just check the tire pressures first, and if they want to "muck" with the springs, at least balance the front against the rear, so if someone (new driver?) ever hits some turns, they don't find themselves (plowing into some kids or skidding out of control)...