Those of you with the supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those of you with the supercharger

What were you told regarding warranty issues? I am looking at buying the SC soon but Acura customer care, my dealership, and Comptech all say that if the SC causes a failure then it will not be covered under warranty. In my case I only have the extended tranny warranty left, but if it fails I don't want to pay for a replacement. I am sure Acura will find a way to blame it on the SC. Has anyone else had a different experience with this or is this correct?
Old 02-27-2004, 01:32 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just had Acura of Pleasanton install the CT S/C in my CLS 6sp. The service department said if there is an engine failure related to crank shaft, connecting rods or pistons and there is evidence of excessive wear, then there may be a problem with the warranty. Otherwise, everything should be covered.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:35 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have my supercharger installed yet...but very soon. I voiced my concerns to my service guy about that and the tranny issue. He said not to worry and "will take care of me" since I've been a loyal customer of his from day one(july '00).
Old 02-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Never really cared. If somethign breaks I'll just fixed it, but stronger.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:42 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Satin Slayer
I don't have my supercharger installed yet...but very soon. I voiced my concerns to my service guy about that and the tranny issue. He said not to worry and "will take care of me" since I've been a loyal customer of his from day one(july '00).
I was basically told not to worry too. They said I would only have to worry if there was strong evidence that the car was abused - meaning that if an ECU dump show redline at 150 MPH or shifting into the wrong gear at high speed.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:59 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Originally posted by cls6sp03
I was basically told not to worry too. They said I would only have to worry if there was strong evidence that the car was abused - meaning that if an ECU dump show redline at 150 MPH or shifting into the wrong gear at high speed.
Well, asking for warranty work after abusing the car is like "asking for the moon"...it's not going to happen.

But, you americans do have the magnusson moss act to protect you. The service dept. has to prove that the aftermarket mods did the damage to deny you warranty work.

Up here in Canada, car dealerships are very mod-unfriendly. We have no laws protecting the consumer. The dealership's word is law...guilty until proven innocent(at the consumer's expense). For the service guy to actually tell me that he will take care of me because of my mods is totally surprising.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Pro

I called PAA today. I will most likely take a two day trip there for the install (from Cincinnati) because my dealer has never installed one. I think to get their expertise, the trip is well worth it. Also I was told not to worry about voiding the tranny warranty because basically no matter what if they call in a tranny problem on a CL Acura always says to replace it because of the issues. Also they mentioned the dealership can't open the tranny up anyway so the cause of the failure is unknown until Acura gets around to looking at it after it is shipped off. This put most of my concerns to rest. One thing that I don't get is my dealer charges 12 hours of labor to install while PAA gets 15 hours. That makes my decision harder to make a 10 hour drive and pay more for the install. I just want it done right.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:15 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
find a shop in your area to do it, but the high boost pulley too!!

u guys have 93 octane right??
Old 02-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Pro

yeah 93 octane, and I am getting both pullies just in case I have problems I can go to the lower boost orginal pulley. My plan is to use the high boost
Old 02-27-2004, 11:44 PM
///M POWER

remember they have to take off your UR pullies and put the stock ones back on
Old 02-27-2004, 11:47 PM
Pro

I know that sucks I spent the $$ buying them and the time to install. I am sure I will get them sold. I might be able to keep the p/s and the alternator pulley, but the crank pulley has to go. I think UR makes a lighter crank pulley that is the same diameter as stock so I might look into that.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:13 AM
Swim Bike Run...

Originally posted by flint
I know that sucks I spent the $$ buying them and the time to install. I am sure I will get them sold. I might be able to keep the p/s and the alternator pulley, but the crank pulley has to go. I think UR makes a lighter crank pulley that is the same diameter as stock so I might look into that.
You will get a new alternator pulley as part of the kit. So you cannot keep the UR alternator pulley either. The new alternator pulley drives the blower.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Blown By Comptech

Originally posted by scalbert
Never really cared. If somethign breaks I'll just fixed it, but stronger.
I like the way you think.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

because my dealer has never installed one.

One thing that I don't get is my dealer charges 12 hours of labor to install while PAA gets 15 hours.

.... Flint if your dealer never installed a S/C unit, how can they tell quote you 12 hours of labor?

I was basically told that if you bring the car to the dealership smoking/abused, then you better pull your wallet out so you can pay to play....
Old 02-28-2004, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by cartan
You will get a new alternator pulley as part of the kit. So you cannot keep the UR alternator pulley either. The new alternator pulley drives the blower.
Correct, hey FLINT, I would get the upgraded boost pulley and get that one put on instead of going back 2 months later to get it installed...
Old 02-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Subie Dubie

My dealer has installed every Mod including the SC, we have a great relationship and they sell and install all Comptech parts. There will be no problems related to my warranty.