For those with aftermarket exhaust. I got a ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 09:51 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those with aftermarket exhaust. I got a ?

Ok recently I have been thinking about exhaust upgrades to my car. The thing is i have been seeing a lot of ricers/non-ricers with exhaust and the area where the muffler sticks out is burnt or is blackened by the carbs or smoke. Why does this happen? Is there too much heat burning the paint or what? I want to buy aftermarket exhaust but i don't want the tips of the muffler to burn my car or discolor the paint from over heat. Any long-term affects of having aftermarket exhaust??

Thx
Thoro
Old 10-23-2002, 10:22 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The blackened is unburned oil/fuel either the car is running rich or there is an oil leak... The mufflers job is muffle the sound of the exhaust.

I see some on my stock mufflers tips.. but it is just normal.. it is not wet, it's not too much.. same what you have on your CLS... a thin film of Carbon deposit
Old 10-23-2002, 11:24 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

It's not uncommon to have a small amount of carbon on your standard stainless steel exhaust tips. If you go after-market, make sure you get stainless steel as well. Using a high quality stainless steel polish will remove the carbon and keep your "pipes" from pitting. CompTech makes an excellant quality system using high quality stainless.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:33 AM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
I've got the Comptech exhaust and get the black junk on my tips occassionally. It's really easy to clean them up though, just use a wet cloth and then wipe dry. Not a big deal at all.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by Nitin
I've got the Comptech exhaust and get the black junk on my tips occassionally. It's really easy to clean them up though, just use a wet cloth and then wipe dry. Not a big deal at all.

Very easy to clean. I'm sure if you leave it there for a while it wil become difficult to clean and possibly even permanent. I always clean it when I wash my car. What doesn't come of when I wash the car I take off with a Stainless Steel polish.... my exhausts look almost as good as brand new....
Old 10-23-2002, 11:44 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nitin
I believe Thoro is asking about the black stuff on the bumper/fender. Even my stock tips have black junk, but not on the bumper.

I would guess the ricers/non-ricers with exhaust and dirty paint don't wash their cars enough, abuse their car/engine, or have engine problems.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:53 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by Bluto
I believe Thoro is asking about the black stuff on the bumper/fender. Even my stock tips have black junk, but not on the bumper.

I would guess the ricers/non-ricers with exhaust and dirty paint don't wash their cars enough, abuse their car/engine, or have engine problems.
Thanks Bluto for clearing that up. I always polish my exhaust with a nonabrasive cleaner and sometimes I wax them with zaino or blackfire. I am not worried about the exhaust themselves, I am worried about the bumper and it's paint, being that the cls has poor paint quality. I just noticed a white honda accord this morning with aftermarket exhaust and i noticed where the muffler tips stick out, I see that the bottom of his bumper is black. It seems like that is exactly where the fumes of the exhaust lead out. The burnt area look like it's from the exhaust and up the bumper about 3 -5 inches. That looks nasty. He was not blowing smoke out of his exhaust neither or a burning smell, and the accord was a 98-02.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:42 PM
Drifting

I have no black stuff on my bumper or tips acutually. Not entirely sure what causes it, but I've seen it. Also get some HKS Super Dragers ThoroDredCLS...very nice sound...not "ricey" at all.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:49 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by peiqinglong
I have no black stuff on my bumper or tips acutually. Not entirely sure what causes it, but I've seen it. Also get some HKS Super Dragers ThoroDredCLS...very nice sound...not "ricey" at all.
Thats why i brought up this thread. I want either the HKS or the OBX knock offs. I just don't want that crap on my bumper