Theory about why some trannies are breaking and others are going 40k+ w/ no problems.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 05:55 PM
Old timer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theory about why some trannies are breaking and others are going 40k+ w/ no problems.

This is probably obvious but I'm going to theorize it anyway:

People who drive the car enthusiastically - people who enjoy the acceleration, etc, are going to have tranny problems. People who "old man" the car and never see VTEC and barely see 3800+rpm are going to be just fine.

My reasoning is that a lot of us probably DRIVE the car and enjoy accelerating onto the highway, or occasionally racing people. It's fun, and there's absolutely no reason the transmission shouldn't be able to handle that. Alas, we have a fairly weak transmission by design, so people who drive this car the way they do most other cars will find themselves with a dying or dead tranny.

That's my guess. I'll let you know when my tranny dies, although right now it seems perfectly okay and ever since I broke 14k I've decided I'm going to try to take it easy on the car and VTEC as little as possible.

Probably won't see anymore video clips from me driving like a wild man. :P

Anyway, I still think it's F'ed up that they built the tranny with an elderly driver in mind instead of a stronger, more performance oriented transmission that a car with a "High Output" engine would deserve to be mated with.

I don't know many old people who drive Type Ses actually, and I think Acura made a mistake in thinking the average CL-S driver would be over 45 or whatever.

Oh well, we the consumers have to live with Acura's poor decision.

I don't see myself buying another Acura any time soon. I mean, yeah, I can't afford ANY car anytime soon, but I mean my next couple cars sure won't be Acuras.

Yes, I'm very happy with my CL-S, but the let downs with things like the weak transmission are so utterly unacceptable from Honda Motor Corp. that they've lost my interest for their future products.

I bought the CL-S, my first foreign car, with the mindset of "hey, it's a Honda so it'll be dependable and long-lasting" because I expect to put a LOT of miles on it. If I'd known there'd be retarded problems like the tranny issue, I would have settled for the lesser performance of the Accord EX V6 or the '01 Maxima SE, both of which I also test drove and liked enough to buy.

So even though I'm happy with the car, I still feel screwed.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 695 Likes on 537 Posts
While I agree that peope who drive car like old people will have less tranny related problems, this still does not mean that CLS tranny has no problems. Even people who drive like old people do get tranny problems, and its offten as well as in those who drive it hard.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:03 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Bite me. I'm old and I drive it like I stole it!
Old 11-14-2001, 06:19 PM
Learn to swim.

I've heard several people who have had their transmissions go out claim that they drive very lightly, and many others who drive the car hard who have not had any problems as of yet. Of course the wear and tear on any mechanical device is directly related to the degree of abuse/use it receieves, though I do not think this particular failure is predictable as such. There is an inherent design flaw, not necessarily a weak area.

I do agree though, this will likely be my first, and last Acura also. My car has not demonstrated any failures thus far, but last time I was in for service, my SA specifically asked me if I had noticed anything abnormal with the transmission. After replying "No" I asked how many they had been having to replace, he did not say anything exactly in response, though the look he shot me over the clipboard told me it was not a negliable problem. When the time comes in a year or so, I'm going to spend a good deal of time getting to know my local BMW dealer...
Old 11-14-2001, 06:24 PM
Race Director

Your whole rationale is invalid because you make the assumption and then you go on to theorize from there as those the assumption is fact. (i.e. "....I feel cheated" and "....Acura poor decision").

The truth of the matter and these are the facts:

1.I drive my car over 75mph every day of th week.
2.I drive my car over 100mph every other day of the week.
3.I race often (about one or twice a week) and that means WOT.
4.I consistently drive 10-20mph over the speed limit.
5.I drive 60% auto and 40% SS.
6.I have 44,000 miles on my car since 3/31/00.
7.I go into the VTEC range every day, sometimes 2-3 times a day.
8.I drive my CL-S like I stole it (same as I've been driving cars for over 20 years).
9.I am 36 years old.
10.I have no tranny problems whatever.

And those are not guesses or supposing or whatever. Those are the FACTS.

Again, I sympathize with the problems and I hear the concerns, but let's deal with the truth and with reality and not dwelve into incompetence, blame, and conspiracy. Not that that's what you are doing, but that's where these posts (tranny topics) tend to go [historically].
Old 11-14-2001, 06:24 PM
STi

I drive my car mid or semi agressively but never had tranny glitch, but i will tell you that i never brake torque this car since i bought it...
Old 11-14-2001, 06:26 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm 41 (and damm proud) going on 30 ! I drive like granny sometimes and drive faster other times ! I just don't gun the damm thing every chance I get. Nor do I "race" on public streets.

JROCK: Honda's (Accords) have weak trannies too, mine died at 78K after taking extreme care of the car ! There are NO perfect transmissions out there. Did they fuck up in marketing the CL ? YES, Big time. Acura did NOT entend for the CL to be a PURE SPORT CAR and for young folks to buy it and run the hell out of it. Integra/RSX is for that, not the CL !

Acura has much waking up to do, to compete with their competitors or they will loose many of their "loyal" customers !

Just my 02 cents !
Old 11-14-2001, 07:50 PM
Racer

The bottom line is that you should be able to drive the car agressively regardless. Why make a 260 hp sports sedan if it has to be driven like a 150 hp economy car. The transmission of any car should be able to handle anything the stock engine can put out...period.
If I wanted to drive it like an "old man" I would have bought an Accord, not a type S. It is simply the case that the transmission is the weakest link in an otherwise good car.
Obviously, if you stomp the pedal to the floor every single time, the wear and tear will be greater than if you dont, but when you shell out the bucks to get a high performance car...it should come with a high performance tranny.
Too bad it isnt a life or death problem, or we may have gotten a recall already....
Old 11-14-2001, 08:25 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by hatemystocks
The bottom line is that you should be able to drive the car agressively regardless. Why make a 260 hp sports sedan if it has to be driven like a 150 hp economy car. The transmission of any car should be able to handle anything the stock engine can put out...period.
If I wanted to drive it like an "old man" I would have bought an Accord, not a type S. It is simply the case that the transmission is the weakest link in an otherwise good car.
Obviously, if you stomp the pedal to the floor every single time, the wear and tear will be greater than if you dont, but when you shell out the bucks to get a high performance car...it should come with a high performance tranny.
Too bad it isnt a life or death problem, or we may have gotten a recall already....
I couldn't agree more. This tranny just doesn't belong on this car, but unfortunately, you really do get what you pay for. This is probably the best example of why the CL-S is the best value in its class on paper; Acura cut costs in many places, obviously in some places it shouldn't have.

Even though JRock's theory seems so obviously true, I'd have to say that I don't think driving habits are the real reason behind tranny failures. Why? First off, because the people with failing trannies so far have varying driving habits. Some of us drive like grandmas and some don't. Also, because of people like kensteele who obviously drive their car's "hard," and have a tranny that's working fine after many miles. Another example that comes to mind is moomaster (I think that's his user name) who had his tranny last 25K+ miles I believe when we can all assume that he drives his car real hard from what he and everyone else on the board who knows him posts, while others who drive much less aggresively have had their tranny replaced after only about 10K miles. There just doesn't seem to be a direct corelation IMO.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:25 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by russianDude
While I agree that peope who drive car like old people will have less tranny related problems, this still does not mean that CLS tranny has no problems. Even people who drive like old people do get tranny problems, and its offten as well as in those who drive it hard.
Really? I wasn't aware of anyone with tranny problems who babied their car.

I made the logical assumption that tranny wear was related to driving style.

(And in reading the rest of the posts in this thread, I realize I was wrong to assume that.)
Old 11-14-2001, 09:27 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by kensteele
Your whole rationale is invalid because you make the assumption and then you go on to theorize from there as those the assumption is fact. (i.e. "....I feel cheated" and "....Acura poor decision").

The truth of the matter and these are the facts:

1.I drive my car over 75mph every day of th week.
2.I drive my car over 100mph every other day of the week.
3.I race often (about one or twice a week) and that means WOT.
4.I consistently drive 10-20mph over the speed limit.
5.I drive 60% auto and 40% SS.
6.I have 44,000 miles on my car since 3/31/00.
7.I go into the VTEC range every day, sometimes 2-3 times a day.
8.I drive my CL-S like I stole it (same as I've been driving cars for over 20 years).
9.I am 36 years old.
10.I have no tranny problems whatever.

And those are not guesses or supposing or whatever. Those are the FACTS.

Again, I sympathize with the problems and I hear the concerns, but let's deal with the truth and with reality and not dwelve into incompetence, blame, and conspiracy. Not that that's what you are doing, but that's where these posts (tranny topics) tend to go [historically].

Awesome post!

Thank you for helping me disprove my theory! I appreciate it.

I guess this means the bad tranny thing is just a lottery and you either get one or you don't, but you just won't know it until it breaks.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:29 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by hatemystocks
Amen. This is exactly how I feel, and the reason I feel kinda "ripped off". I love the car but I feel like I can't drive it the way I want to because I'm worried about the tranny.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:40 PM
Old Fella

There is part of JRock's theory that should probably be re-thought. That is that Old folks don't drive a car hard. or maybe we should say that we should not generalize. I am 54 this month and I, like KenSteele, drive the poop out of my S. I love to drive and drive hard.

So far, the CL-S has held up beautifully..... I am scared about the tranny from all the talk, but whatever happens happens. I won't change my driving habits because of a "what if".....

So, keep on theorizing...... Doesn't hurt to try and figure out what's going on with the tranny or any other part of our cars.

All the best!

Old Guy
Old 11-14-2001, 09:53 PM
Old timer

I never stated old folks don't drive hard. I merely said "drive it like an old person" because that brings to mind the old people who drive ridiculously slow.

Trust me, I am not generalizing and I know there are plenty of adults here who drive fast. Perhaps I should have worded the initial post differently to avoid the confusion.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:58 PM
Old Fella

Jrock,

Don't worry. I was just ribbing ya' anyway!
Old 11-14-2001, 10:43 PM
Race Director

DEBATE

There IS some other problem here, and I believe Acura already knows what it is.

But we don't know....and we may never know.

Should we be told? or just get it fixed when it does fail?

If you know what the problem is and you know it is limited and you know that it is not a guaranteed failure but when it happens, it happens in a big way....why would you announce to the world that there is a [tranny] problem? Where's the cost benefit? Is there a legal / moral obligation?

Obvioulsy the cost is loss of repeat sales and customer loyalty.

What do you suggest Acura do? Let's spell it out just in case they are reading/listening.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:52 PM
Racer

While visiting a friend in Irvine he told me had just taken in his 99'Acccord to have tranny replaced with only 66,000m! Have 9500m on my CL-S and no problems even with drag racing at the track! Lucky so far I guess! All these tranny problems give me gas!
Old 11-14-2001, 11:19 PM
Old timer

Re: DEBATE

Originally posted by kensteele
There IS some other problem here, and I believe Acura already knows what it is.

But we don't know....and we may never know.

Should we be told? or just get it fixed when it does fail?

If you know what the problem is and you know it is limited and you know that it is not a guaranteed failure but when it happens, it happens in a big way....why would you announce to the world that there is a [tranny] problem? Where's the cost benefit? Is there a legal / moral obligation?

Obvioulsy the cost is loss of repeat sales and customer loyalty.

What do you suggest Acura do? Let's spell it out just in case they are reading/listening.
Buy my car back from me for what I paid for it.

Oh, and give me enough cash beyond that to buy myself an M3 or a C5.

And while we're at it..... okay, j/k.

(Mr. Kane, it's all good.)
Old 11-15-2001, 08:05 AM
What, me worry?

Location: Carrollton, tx. land of heaving pavement & revenue generating pigs.
Well, if Acura does know what it is, they could do like BMW did when they discovered a problem with the V8's in the 94-95 models. And that is extend the warranty on the trans to 6yrs/100k miles. BMW did it like a secret warranty. Wasn't put out in the news etc..just the dealers and everyone on the forum knew about it. I think that would relieve a lot of worry.

ps. And talk about feeling jinxed. I got rid of my 94' 540 because of postings on tranny failures only to jump into this mess. Can't win for nothing.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:57 AM
Instructor

hehe, so does this mean I should WOT my car every chance I get now? Not to say I don't already do that. This way my transimission will die before the warranty ends
Old 11-15-2001, 10:33 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, the main problem with this theory is, as someone else stated, that there have been a number of members who have claimed to never run their car hard have their trannys die on them. Also a number of ATL members as well.

At this time, it really seems completely random. I have most conceivable mods, have been to the track, always give her some gas when I drive and things seem OK. It almost seems from what I remember reading that the earlier production date cars seem fine while many of the problems are coming fromthe newer models. Hmmm.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:00 AM
efx
Instructor

I will run my car hard when I want to and not worry about the tranny. If it goes out at some point then let them replace it and give me a good loaner. It doesn't cost me anything, but it will start to add up with acura if a few thousand trannies go out.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:53 AM
Soon to be, fairly famous

I do think there's a problem, and I also go with the Tranny Lottery theory. I'm 36 and I drive fast all the time. I'm in SS 99% of the time and slip up and put it in auto very very infrequently. The car just cruises at 80 so that's where it is most of the time. I do slow down to sleep, but barring conciousness-related difficulties, I'm driving like I have somewhere to be...regardless if I do or not.

JaMae's was a year old on Oct 21, with 34K so far. If the car just had:

1) Real fogs
2) Stick shift (coming)
3) AWD or RWD
4) Working seatbelt retractors
5) Sunroof that opens all the way (though I understand why it doesn't)
6) BODK-KIT (preferrably the SEMA or similar)
7) Come lowered from the factory

dee
Old 11-15-2001, 12:23 PM
Adult Supervision

I guess I'm an older guy

And I have no problems with the transmission. But experience gives me a better slant - or so I think. Cars break. All cars break. Or almost all cars break. So having a % of the owners of these cars having what appears to be a systemic problem is not that suprising to me. Is Acura fixing them? Yep. Are they fixing them ASAP? not really but I bet they are trying. Should they issue a recall on all transmissions? Nope. (You ever been in the product business and do this? It's the kiss of death. "Replace at no charge when trouble found"

So take a stress tab. If you know hate the car cause others have had a transmission problem, go find me a car with no problems in this class (don't say Audi, don't say BMW)

And go beat the crap out of your trans so you can get a new one...
Old 11-15-2001, 01:44 PM
Cruisin'

i see all this making sense,

i have two things to ask though

yes my tranny went to the gutter and its diffrent situtions on everyones car....im not expecting no royal treatment or something stupid like that but get this.....
does it make sense for a car like a tl's tranny to die with only 17,500 miles??
i would of never expected anything like that to happen but it did.
what would you do once your in this sitution?

all you people who say its only a small margin and all that well is it fair? we pay 30k and pick a straw, and see who gets a sh!tier car?
we have to take a chance now on whos lucky and whos not on which tl/cl he or she got????
am i just unlucky?
i know there no scheme, clearly see that
just something that acura probaly didnt think of
am i mad cause of the situation?
no, just that now since i had this tranny breaking on me,
it will continue and the car will not feel the same....
i thought trannys commonly break after 100k?
Old 11-15-2001, 01:59 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by j83
i see all this making sense,

i have two things to ask though

yes my tranny went to the gutter and its diffrent situtions on everyones car....im not expecting no royal treatment or something stupid like that but get this.....
does it make sense for a car like a tl's tranny to die with only 17,500 miles??
i would of never expected anything like that to happen but it did.
what would you do once your in this sitution?

all you people who say its only a small margin and all that well is it fair? we pay 30k and pick a straw, and see who gets a sh!tier car?
we have to take a chance now on whos lucky and whos not on which tl/cl he or she got????
am i just unlucky?
i know there no scheme, clearly see that
just something that acura probaly didnt think of
am i mad cause of the situation?
no, just that now since i had this tranny breaking on me,
it will continue and the car will not feel the same....
i thought trannys commonly break after 100k?
Trannys don't normally break at all. Are you forgetting that this is a New car (new model). Gonna happen, to those who wind up with broken tranny, I feel for you.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:01 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if the 99 TL's tranny is better or what but I have over 57,000 miles and my tranny is fine (knock on wood). Damn I hope Acura fixes this problem for future model cars.
Old 11-15-2001, 06:10 PM
Race Director

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure Acura knows what happened. It's not a space shuttle. It's a transmission.

But don't expect to be told what happened. I'm sure it's Company Confidential. If they switched parts supplier for part TRAN-8194A to TRAN-8194B from a large company in Singapore to a smaller (less expensive) company in Malaysia for CLs dated Aug 00 - Oct 01 and that part tends to fail prematurely (5% failure rate), trust me; you'll never be told that. Do you think they would want you to check your tranny for TRAN-8194B first, then make your decision to purchase? No because it's only a 5% failure rate, and they will fix it if it does go out anyway.

And they might have had good reason to [temporarily] switch from TRAN-8194A to TRAN-8194B when that Singapore company had a small fire on the factory floor that cause it to shut down for 2 weeks. Do you think the designer who made that call should be fired even though TRAN-8194B met Acura/Honda specs and was 44 cents ea instead of 71 cents ea? Maybe it was switch or a shortage of CLs for 1 month during new car buying season / Christmas season. He was probably over-ruled by the VPs willing to take a chance....

The best idea I've heard is extend the warranty to 8years/100,000 miles on all broken trannys due to TRAN-8194B.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:19 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Kensteele:

I agree 100% with an "extended warranty". Other manufacture's are giving longer warranties. Let's wait and see. I hope Acura is reading on our board !
Old 11-15-2001, 07:42 PM
Old timer

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...871#post609401
Old 11-15-2001, 08:04 PM
Intermediate

Only CLS's???

Are we talking CL-S only, or are the CL-Ps also suseptible? If it's CL-S only, is is becuase the tranny's the same as the CL-P and isn't stout enough to handle the extra ponies?
Old 11-15-2001, 08:10 PM
Old timer

Re: Only CLS's???

Originally posted by Buffalo
Are we talking CL-S only, or are the CL-Ps also suseptible? If it's CL-S only, is is becuase the tranny's the same as the CL-P and isn't stout enough to handle the extra ponies?
Nah dude, that was everyone's first guess but that's disproven because some people drive hard and their trannies are fine and others drive softly (hehe) and theirs go out.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:13 PM
Old Fella

Way to go Jrock... "others drive softly". I like it!!!