TEIN SS with EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
TEIN SS with EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller)

Well as some of you know, i said i was going to lower my car this month, and i'm going to try to keep to my word.

I originally said i was going to get the Neuspeed race springs with Koni Yellows and the ingalls camber kit, But i've been re-thinking all of it, and i'd like to get the TEIN's with the EDFC. However i've heard mixed conclusions on whether or not the EDFC fits in the CL-S or not.

The TEIN website lists the EDFC to work for the CL on one page, but doesn't list it fitting on another page. And I emailed them and they said it doesn't fit due to problems with hood clearnace and the controller.

I wanted to know if this is in fact true. Does anyone in here have TIEN's installed with the EDFC?

If it fits i'm going to get this setup so i can control the damping from inside the car without having to take out the rear seat and do all this other extra work for the front as well.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: TEIN SS with EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller)

NO WORKY with EDFC

Originally posted by slyraskal
Well as some of you know, i said i was going to lower my car this month, and i'm going to try to keep to my word.

I originally said i was going to get the Neuspeed race springs with Koni Yellows and the ingalls camber kit, But i've been re-thinking all of it, and i'd like to get the TEIN's with the EDFC. However i've heard mixed conclusions on whether or not the EDFC fits in the CL-S or not.

The TEIN website lists the EDFC to work for the CL on one page, but doesn't list it fitting on another page. And I emailed them and they said it doesn't fit due to problems with hood clearnace and the controller.

I wanted to know if this is in fact true. Does anyone in here have TIEN's installed with the EDFC?

If it fits i'm going to get this setup so i can control the damping from inside the car without having to take out the rear seat and do all this other extra work for the front as well.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The EDFC will NOT fit on the CL, but does fit on the TL. Even tho Tein has listed that it does fit on the CL on their website, it doesn't. Blxmjx tested it on bobowah's car about 3 months ago and it was determined that it needed another 0.5 inches of clearance in the front. The rears fit with no problems. Contact blxmjx if you are still interested in the EDFC.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Team Owner

thanx peiqinglong & caddy for the info, guess no EDFC for me unless i cut my hood and make it ghetto style lol

Do you think it would be stupid to just get it and install it in the rear so that i can at least control the rear damper without having to remove the seats all the time?

If i remember, to change the damper for the fronts, all you would need to do is pop the hood and adjust it from the suspension mounts right?
Old 02-06-2003, 02:55 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If i remember, to change the damper for the fronts, all you would need to do is pop the hood and adjust it from the suspension mounts right?
Yup...that actually sounds like a good idea.

I never adjust them for the fact that I don't enjoy removing the rear seats. I'm always scared of scratching something in my interior.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Drifting

Do you think it would be stupid to just get it and install it in the rear so that i can at least control the rear damper without having to remove the seats all the time?
I was thinking of this too, but $300 something is a lot of money just to change the dampers on the rear.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by peiqinglong
I was thinking of this too, but $300 something is a lot of money just to change the dampers on the rear.
true, but it also does reduce how much work you need to do just to change the damper in the rear.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

Looking into the EDFC as well...The custom shop I've going to said that it would fit...but who knows....blxmjx tried it already...there is probably no need for him to try it......
Old 02-06-2003, 05:02 PM
Banned

You can make an extension piece and drill a lil hole to adjust the rears.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:05 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by moomaster_99
This is the most cost efficent solution.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by moomaster_99
I don't know what you mean by using an extension piece and drilling a hole to adjust the rears.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:19 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Moonmaster, that is a good idea. I actually made a new deck out of black foam, so i just lift it up to adjust the Shocks.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:19 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Anil,
Good luck Let me know how it goes, I'm planning on a TEIN SS purchase myself.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:28 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Originally posted by Titand19
Moonmaster, that is a good idea. I actually made a new deck out of black foam, so i just lift it up to adjust the Shocks.
really...i've been thinking about fabricating something myself...

do you have pics of what you just described?
Old 02-06-2003, 05:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Zapata
Anil,
Good luck Let me know how it goes, I'm planning on a TEIN SS purchase myself.

Thanx, Like i said earlier, it wont be till the end of this month, maybe as early as in 2 weeks. But I don't have a spring compressor, i thought about purchasing one so i can do it myself. If not i'm going to go down to SP Engineering in city of industry here in cali to get it done.

i was quoted $925 for the TEIN which i think is a good price from Pit-Crew Motorsports

i was quoted $975 from SP-Engineering

Labor turns out to be about 225 which is kinda high but they do a really good job, so i'm probably gonna head down there....

AND GET THIS, I SPOKE WITH THIS GUY AT SP-ENGINEERING, HE SAID THEY ARE WILLING TO BUILD A CUSTOM TURBO APPLICATION!!! for all of us that aren't that great at it like allmotor (his car is bad ass)

well hope you guys find this info helpful, i'll keep you guys posted!
Old 02-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Thanx, Like i said earlier, it wont be till the end of this month, maybe as early as in 2 weeks. But I don't have a spring compressor, i thought about purchasing one so i can do it myself. If not i'm going to go down to SP Engineering in city of industry here in cali to get it done.

i was quoted $925 for the TEIN which i think is a good price from Pit-Crew Motorsports

i was quoted $975 from SP-Engineering

Labor turns out to be about 225 which is kinda high but they do a really good job, so i'm probably gonna head down there....

AND GET THIS, I SPOKE WITH THIS GUY AT SP-ENGINEERING, HE SAID THEY ARE WILLING TO BUILD A CUSTOM TURBO APPLICATION!!! for all of us that aren't that great at it like allmotor (his car is bad ass)

well hope you guys find this info helpful, i'll keep you guys posted!
How about $850 shipped? Contact Blxmjx.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:31 PM
foolio at heart

Since you are local I can do better than the $850 shipped price, as long as you are paying cash. Just hit me up on PM and we can go over the details. I can also hook you up on install way below $225.

arnold
Old 02-06-2003, 10:04 PM
I love my CL-S

installing for the Tein cost me 60 cdn
you can't beat that :P (unless you are doing it yourself)
Old 02-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by blxmjx
Since you are local I can do better than the $850 shipped price, as long as you are paying cash. Just hit me up on PM and we can go over the details. I can also hook you up on install way below $225.

arnold
Thanx for the hook-up. Like i said earlier though, i was planning on getting this stuff at the end of the month, but just planning it out ahead of time. But i will be sure to keep you in mind so that i can save some money.

Just to be sure the kit you get is model #DSA32-KUSS2 right?

Just a side note:

i've been talking with TEIN over the last couple days and i addressed the fitting issue of the EDFC on the CL and they informed that they are developing a new Upper Pillar Mount to be released this summer that holds the EDFC for the SS Kit. They haven't gotten back to me yet on the question of whether or not this upper pillar mount will be sold seperately or with the SS kit and if it will fit the CL. So their may be hope for the EDFC being installed in our cars. As soon as I hear from them i'll post my findings here.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Revving at 9K...

Thanks slyraskal! I've been really thinking about doing something custom myself with them, but now, I'm going to wait it out and see what happens!!
Old 02-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Rod
Drifting

i've been talking with TEIN over the last couple days and i addressed the fitting issue of the EDFC on the CL and they informed that they are developing a new Upper Pillar Mount to be released this summer that holds the EDFC for the SS Kit. They haven't gotten back to me yet on the question of whether or not this upper pillar mount will be sold seperately or with the SS kit and if it will fit the CL. So their may be hope for the EDFC being installed in our cars. As soon as I hear from them i'll post my findings here.
I thought I had heard something about them developing something that would allow the EDFC to be used on the CL, but didn't mention it b/c I wasn't sure. They're also supposed to come out with a CL specific kit that will have higher spring rates than the V6 Accord coupe set. Maybe you should wait it out and get the set with the higher spring rates if it isn't going to take too long to come out. If you're staying in touch with them, maybe you can inquire about this also. I wanted to get Teins, but since a couple people were bottoming out with the current setup I rather wait before I decide to get them.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Team Owner

GOOD NEWS

Below is the final of a series of 5 emails i've got from TEIN about their SS kit and the EDFC.

Read it for yourself and take it with a grain of salt....

Thank you for your interest in TEIN High Performance Suspension Products.
In regards to your question. The pillar upper mount would fit the Super
Street kit that is being offer right now. And the pillar upper mount is
going to be sold separately from the kit itself.

Staff @ TEIN USA INC.
7631 Somerset Blvd.
Paramount, CA 90723
Phone: (562)633-7387
Fax: (562)633-7291
www.tein.com
Looks like i'm going to lower my car this month since the pillar mount is sold seperately. And IF the pillar mount fits the CL which it should if it's for the SS kit i'll just get the EDFC in the summer!!

WOO HOO!
Old 02-07-2003, 05:00 PM
Drifting

Oh shit?! Pillar mounts are available for the Teins?!
Old 02-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by peiqinglong
Oh shit?! Pillar mounts are available for the Teins?!
They will be hopefully this summer, that's why i'm going ahead with the TEIN install for now, and install the new pillar mount in the summer if it fits so that i can also add the EDFC at that time.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: GOOD NEWS

Below is the final of a series of 5 emails i've got from TEIN about their SS kit and the EDFC.

Read it for yourself and take it with a grain of salt....

Looks like i'm going to lower my car this month since the pillar mount is sold seperately. And IF the pillar mount fits the CL which it should if it's for the SS kit i'll just get the EDFC in the summer!!

WOO HOO!
I've talked to them a few times and SUMMER seems to be the date that they are targeting for addition of EDFC capability.

I know you received your e-mail -- and I've talked to them via phone and they seem rather interested in making the EDFC "happen" for the CLS (Summer has been repeated numerous times.)

YMMV
Old 02-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

Just heard back from TEIN,

Found out that the new pillar mount they are developing for release this summer will not allow for camber adjustment.

well hope you guys have found this info useful, we'll visit this topic again when they release the pillar mount this summer...
Old 02-11-2003, 12:45 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by blxmjx

arnold
I know asked this before but........

The current teinSS kit, can you purchase it with the updated spring rate for the CLS ?
Old 02-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Drifting

The current teinSS kit, can you purchase it with the updated spring rate for the CLS ?
Tein is charging you now. It's like $60 per spring for the upgrade.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

on the TEIN website it lists that the adjustable spring rate ranges for the front and rear on page:

http://www.tein.com/acura.html

take a look at it, it may answer your question.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

slyraskal,
excellent. If blkmjx can get me good price on the unit i should have the springs by the beginning of summer.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Get the Teins

When I went to the shop I get my stuff... they said the TEINS fit perfect for my CL and I can get it $970 thats including installation. You should ask Mr. Big cause I know he used to have comptech springs and now he got the TEINS and said he had no problem with them..
Old 02-11-2003, 01:38 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: Get the Teins

Originally posted by LiLMaN
When I went to the shop I get my stuff... they said the TEINS fit perfect for my CL and I can get it $970 thats including installation. You should ask Mr. Big cause I know he used to have comptech springs and now he got the TEINS and said he had no problem with them..
yeah the standard teinSS will work with the CLS but the spring rate isn't a bit low for our heavy cars. They fit but the ride isn't what it should be.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Drifting

I would recommend the upgrade...had I known at the time I would have. Put it this way...the NEX coilovers are stiffer than my ride at half setting.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:43 PM
Rod
Drifting

Re: Re: Get the Teins

yeah the standard teinSS will work with the CLS but the spring rate isn't a bit low for our heavy cars. They fit but the ride isn't what it should be.
Plus, depending on how low you go, there's a chance that you'll be bottoming out the suspension. A couple people on here have been bottoming out with the current Teins so I'd rather wait until they come up with a CL specific kit.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Get the Teins

Originally posted by Rod
Plus, depending on how low you go, there's a chance that you'll be bottoming out the suspension. A couple people on here have been bottoming out with the current Teins so I'd rather wait until they come up with a CL specific kit.
The CL specific kit is just the upgraded springs, no?
Old 02-11-2003, 02:54 PM
Rod
Drifting

Re: Re: Re: Re: Get the Teins

The CL specific kit is just the upgraded springs, no?
Basically, but I'm hoping they put some thought into the springs they end up using. And I'd also like to be sure that the EDFC is going to work with the setup and get it all done in one sitting to save on installation costs.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:57 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Get the Teins

Originally posted by Rod
Basically, but I'm hoping they put some thought into the springs they end up using. And I'd also like to be sure that the EDFC is going to work with the setup and get it all done in one sitting to save on installation costs.
Rod,
I agree with you. The car really needs to be dropped but I'll wait for the full CLS kit because i'd like the integrated EDFC unit.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Get the Teins

Rod,
I agree with you. The car really needs to be dropped but I'll wait for the full CLS kit because i'd like the integrated EDFC unit.
Now you gone and done it. I was all ready to get the TEIN SS kit, and now you got me re-thinking it. shame on you!

i was in the same boat you are, i wanted the EDFC to start, with the TEIN SS kit, because iw anted to save $$$ on the install. and because i want to control the damping force without having to do a lot just to adjust it.

But after i found out all that info that i did, i kinda realized that one - the kit they offer does fit and it works, plenty of other people have proved it. two- it does have an adjustable spring rate, three- the pillar mount that will house the EDFC will be relased in the summer as they have told us.

Even if the Pillar mount that houses the EDFC doesn't fit our cars, what is the difference between installing the TEIN SS kit, or just installing the neuspeed race springs with koni yellows. you'd still have to remove the rear seat to adjust the damping. At least with the TEIN coilover kit you can adjust ride height, and there's the big possibility that you can get the EDFC in the summer.

They said the pillar mount will be sold seperately, so if u buy the SS kit now or later you still have to buy the pillar mount and EDFC separetly.

So either way it works out to be the same thing in the end.

Except you do save a few bucks on the install....
Old 02-11-2003, 03:28 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Get the Teins

Sorry I just want to make sure i'm getting the right thing when i fork out the $$ . A couple of questions:

1- You can adjust the spring rate????? I thought it was just ride height and dampers.

2- The EDFC that's out right now does fit the rear suspension just not the front so you won't need to remove anything. Unless you have to for the height adjustment.

Now you gone and done it. I was all ready to get the TEIN SS kit, and now you got me re-thinking it. shame on you!

i was in the same boat you are, i wanted the EDFC to start, with the TEIN SS kit, because iw anted to save $$$ on the install. and because i want to control the damping force without having to do a lot just to adjust it.

But after i found out all that info that i did, i kinda realized that one - the kit they offer does fit and it works, plenty of other people have proved it. two- it does have an adjustable spring rate, three- the pillar mount that will house the EDFC will be relased in the summer as they have told us.

Even if the Pillar mount that houses the EDFC doesn't fit our cars, what is the difference between installing the TEIN SS kit, or just installing the neuspeed race springs with koni yellows. you'd still have to remove the rear seat to adjust the damping. At least with the TEIN coilover kit you can adjust ride height, and there's the big possibility that you can get the EDFC in the summer.

They said the pillar mount will be sold seperately, so if u buy the SS kit now or later you still have to buy the pillar mount and EDFC separetly.

So either way it works out to be the same thing in the end.

Except you do save a few bucks on the install....
Old 02-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Team Owner

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Get the Teins

Sorry I just want to make sure i'm getting the right thing when i fork out the $$ . A couple of questions:

1- You can adjust the spring rate????? I thought it was just ride height and dampers.

2- The EDFC that's out right now does fit the rear suspension just not the front so you won't need to remove anything. Unless you have to for the height adjustment.
in response to your questions, the EDFC does fit the TEIN SS Kit, it is the same kit that will fit when they finish their upper pillar mount.

I'm thinkin i'm probably going to get the EDFC for now, and have it put in the rear, and just store the fronts away for now so that when they finish their pillar mount, all i have to worry about is the fronts.

As for your other question about spring rate, that question came to my mind as well. i'm not 100% certain as to why they say adjustable spring rate on their website, when it's the ride height and damper you adjust. But the numbers they put on their site seems to suggest that's it's the spring rate you are adjusting which is odd because i've always thought that spring rate depnds on how the spring was designed.

Maybe peiqinglong could shed some light on this for us.

Quick Reply: TEIN SS with EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller)