Spring Install and having ..............

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Spring Install and having ..............

unusual noises.

I recently had comptech springs installed by Gunn Acura Texas and while driving home (160 miles) over rough/undulating surface/bumpy roads I began to her a clunking noise on the right rear corner of the car. I did not have time to return to the dealer because it was 4PM and would not have made it back on time to the dealer, so I proceded to pull the rear seats out at home few days later to see what could be loose. I found that the two bolts inside the car that hold the shock/spring in place were loose so I tighten the bolts. I took the car out around my house and drove over some bad road and the noise is still there. What could be producing the clunking noise on that corner of the car? I checked for loose parts in the trunk and for all cable harnesses but everything seem to be okay.

Also, I noticed that the stock spring have some rubber liners on the second to last coil, can this be used on the comptech springs? Also what is the function of the rubber liner?

Thanks Again Guys
Old 01-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

bttt
Old 01-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Those rubber liners are there to prevent noises.

See, when you hit a bump, the springs compress. And at the top and bottom, where the gaps are tighter (compared to the middle of the spring), they hit and grind, therefore creating noise.

I guess the dealership just forgot to put 'em on the new ones. Go back and have them do it. Simple.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks, I aalready install the rubber liners and it help with the minor squeaking I had with the springs. What about the sporadic clunking that still exist when the car travels over undulating road or bumpy? Could it be the swaybar? What is the torque spec for the swaybar nuts/bolts.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

After 94 views i only get one response, what's wrong with all the car gurus on the site. No help this year. Please help.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:48 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it clunk only when u turn? If so check ur lug nuts!

I had the same problem, got my brakes done, turn clunk sound only when i turned, found out the lug nuts were loose!!!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally posted by dfv3.2CL-S
After 94 views i only get one response, what's wrong with all the car gurus on the site. No help this year. Please help.
Probably because this is one of those problem that are hard to diagnose without actually being there.

Yes, check the lug nuts. It's very common that they forget to tighten them.

Sway bar should be clunking only if it's loose. Check all the clamps and joints. If you don't have a torque wrench, turn 'til you feel resistance, then turn 2/3.

If everything is right, the only thing I can think of is the springs sitting out of the spring seats. To check, jack up the car, make sure the spring is sitting properly on the bottom (spin the spring to the right (clockwise as you look down) 'til it sits in tight. And make sure that the spring is lined up properly with the top.

If the noise is still there, then it's because the car is lowered with stiffer springs and more road vibration is going through the car, rattling/clunking a part that, before this, did not.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys.

The clunk is when I am going over rough roads and uneven surface that requires the suspension to react to contour of the road surface. When I take a curve or make a turn I don t feel or hear anything abnormal.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

i am in shock

i would never thought in a 100 years gunn acura would install an aftermarket part on a car!

are the springs new? in a way i want to say that the install went wrong when you have to tighten some bolts??? but if your springs are new maybe they need time to settle. or there could be a problem with the shock/strut on the side of the clunking noise. did you also install aftermarket struts and shocks?

good luck trying to resolve your problem

if you plan on doing future installs let me know and ill try to help you to find a better place in SA or in the Austin area...

Also would you happen to know if gunn acura would install the comptech s/c and honor the powertrain warranty?

i called the service department and they told me that installing a aftermarket part on my car will automatically void the warranty which is BS to me

sidemarker
Old 01-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally posted by sidemarker

i called the service department and they told me that installing a aftermarket part on my car will automatically void the warranty which is BS to me

sidemarker
It is BS. That's illegal under the Federal Law.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

i am in shock

Also would you happen to know if gunn acura would install the comptech s/c and honor the powertrain warranty?

sidemarker

I never asked them about the SC at Gunn, but I know that Goodson Acura in Irving and John Eagle Acura and Gillman in Houston would install it and warranty the vehicle. My CT headers were installed in Irving and service advisor and tech were very friendly and knowledgeable about the install. I neeed to call Sterling Acura in Austin to see if they will do the job.

I know that parts department sell the comptech parts
Old 01-19-2004, 12:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by dfv3.2CL-S
I never asked them about the SC at Gunn, but I know that Goodson Acura in Irving and John Eagle Acura and Gillman in Houston would install it and warranty the vehicle. My CT headers were installed in Irving and service advisor and tech were very friendly and knowledgeable about the install. I neeed to call Sterling Acura in Austin to see if they will do the job.

I know that parts department sell the comptech parts
wow you sure do go a long ways to get things done on your car.

did you ever get your problem fixed?

sidemarker
Old 01-19-2004, 01:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a sway bar bushing or a bad strut mount.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

wow you sure do go a long ways to get things done on your car.

did you ever get your problem fixed?

sidemarker
Well I have not had a chance to get under the car, but I am hoping that its just a loose bolt on the swaybar. Again the noise is not heard all the time is mostly depends on road surface.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

sidemarker

Where in TX are you located?
Old 01-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Check the end link bolts on the sway bar. Sounds like that may be what it is.