Sport Shifter delay question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 10:06 AM
I have the need for speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sport Shifter delay question

I rarely use the sport shifter on my 01 CLS. But when I downshift, there's a delay in the shift when I throw the shifter down or up. Have any of you guys seen this? I mean its not like an immediate response when I use the sport shifter in the gears. I'll feel the change a second later after I shift into a gear. FYI, my car has 4500 miles also.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:26 AM
Racer

Mine does the same thing, its just part of have an SS instead of a a real stick shift
Old 03-01-2002, 11:37 AM
'Cooter

yeah despite the magazines saying the Acura shifts to b "quick," they really are slow compared to Audi, MB, and BMW...altho it's not like we're comparing apples to apples here...we all know our CL is NOT 1 of those three YET , so it's like comparing apples to oranges...i've tried the STEPTronics, TipTronics, yadda yadda yadda on all three, and they're quicker, more precise shifts...the beauty of German engineering

how bout this...another difference i've found with our SS is that when i "act" like im driving stick (ie i take my foot off the gas, shift, then hit the gas again), sometimes i stay in the previous gear for a half a second, THEN i change while im on the gas...it may have something to do with me getting back on the gas too quickly...has anyone experienced THAT???
Old 03-01-2002, 11:41 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Scooter
yeah despite the magazines saying the Acura shifts to b "quick," they really are slow compared to Audi, MB, and BMW...altho it's not like we're comparing apples to apples here...we all know our CL is NOT 1 of those three YET , so it's like comparing apples to oranges...i've tried the STEPTronics, TipTronics, yadda yadda yadda on all three, and they're quicker, more precise shifts...the beauty of German engineering
how bout this...another difference i've found with our SS is that when i "act" like im driving stick (ie i take my foot off the gas, shift, then hit the gas again), sometimes i stay in the previous gear for a half a second, THEN i change while im on the gas...it may have something to do with me getting back on the gas too quickly...has anyone experienced THAT???
I think that x-tronics are weak in general. I've heard complaints from people who have steptronic in audi s4 and theirs is worse than ours.

I know that acura says that one should keep the foot on the gas when shifting otherwise the ECU will get confused.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:34 PM
Race Director

But we can all agree that this is still faster than a manual stick and clutch. After all, you have to take your foot off the gas, press in the clutch, move the shifter a considerable distance, release the clutch, press the gas. Takes about 2.3 seconds? Compared to our SS at 2.1 seconds? I mean we're talking a lot of time here, no?
Old 03-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget that while Acura claims that the shifts are quicker in SS, by their own admission, it's only 10% quicker.
Old 03-01-2002, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

shift it through the gate instead. Shifts are way quicker
Old 03-02-2002, 09:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kensteele
But we can all agree that this is still faster than a manual stick and clutch. After all, you have to take your foot off the gas, press in the clutch, move the shifter a considerable distance, release the clutch, press the gas. Takes about 2.3 seconds? Compared to our SS at 2.1 seconds? I mean we're talking a lot of time here, no?
No, I can most definetly shift a manual tranny faster. If this were the case manual trannys wouldnt be faster in the 1/4 mile. The RSX tranny (auto) shifts faster than ours.

2.3 seconds to shift? no.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:20 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SiGGy

No, I can most definetly shift a manual tranny faster. If this were the case manual trannys wouldnt be faster in the 1/4 mile. The RSX tranny (auto) shifts faster than ours.

manual trannies are faster in the quarter mile not because faster shifting but because of the better launch.

I'm not sure about the RSX shift times.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Zapata

manual trannies are faster in the quarter mile not because faster shifting but because of the better launch.

I'm not sure about the RSX shift times.
'

very true, but if i was losing .2 per shift it would loose almost .5 a second by his calculations (shifting in the complete 1/4 mile)

which would defeat the launch advantage of a manual

plus manual usually have less power train loss too, which helps. But it's certainly not faster to be in a stock auto.

Now a TH400 with a full done valve body and clutches, thats a different story.

most of 1/4 mile racing is made from the 1st 30-60ft in equally matched cars. But its insane to say the stock slush box auto is faster shifting than a manual. Unless mabye a pickup truck.

I've spent a ton of time at the track myself just not im my CLS
Old 03-02-2002, 01:47 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by SiGGy

I didn't mean for the numbers (in seconds) to be accurate, just for comparison. So if you can shift a manual 1/2 second faster than the Acura SS, you say the SS is "slow"?
Old 03-02-2002, 01:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by kensteele

I didn't mean for the numbers (in seconds) to be accurate, just for comparison. So if you can shift a manual 1/2 second faster than the Acura SS, you say the SS is "slow"?
Just specifically with our cars yes... I can shift a manual much faster. In comparison to other SS cars... no, I agree.

but yes! our tranny sucks in SS, way too long of a delay. you have to "pre shift" to guestimate hittin 7k RPMs

man the RSX shifts faster than our cars do. hehe, i had one for a month when my tranny was broken.

I had a 425hp Camaro with a fully manual reverse valve body, and shift kit (TH400 tranny, and a 3200 Stall converter, with a 411 gear in the rear end). And a nice B&M slam shifter! It was almost instantaneous when I shifted! 13.0's consistent with street tires

Liking the snow? argh.... Ill be driving the Jeepy this weekend.

When are you planning on leaving for the meet here next weekend?