Solara owner test drives a CL-S

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001 | 03:07 AM
Intermediate

Solara owner test drives a CL-S

I knew I shouldn't test drive a new, nicer car when the one I have is still being paid for, but after seeing them on the road, reading the road tests, and visiting this site, I had to check one out. Here's a few things I noticed:

*It handles great. I've driven the Accord coupe and my Solara with TRD sway bar. They do okay for front wheel drive cars. The Acura engineers did much better with the CL-S suspension. Damn near as good as a rear drive car.

*The front seats are great. Legroom is pretty good in back, but headroom is a little tight, as it is in the Accord.

*Why couldn't they make part of the back seat go down? The pass thru is fine for skis, but I can put my mountain bike in the Solara trunk. I do like the trunk opening though; it's large and the lip is low which makes luggage loading easier.

*Nice exhaust note, sounds great.

*Why, why, why don't they offer a manual tranny? They want to compete with BMW, which probably sells a higher ratio of manuals/autos than anyone. If you like your auto trans, that's fine, but they should give us the choice. As it is, my sc'd Solara will outrun this car, so I won't consider moving up to it until they offer a manual trans. I figure a manual trans in the CL-S would put another 20hp to the wheels, increase city mileage by 1 mpg, and be lighter by 30-50 pounds. And no, that SportShift doesn't cut it. Someone at this site found they got better 1/4 mile times when NOT using SS, so this feature is sort of a joke, isn't it?

*Okay, I'm done griping. The CL-S is still the best deal in it's price range, lame tranny or not.
Old 03-26-2001 | 12:48 PM
ACME sucks!

I don't think he is badmouthing our car. Also, I'm sure his Solara is modded if it's faster than a CL-S.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi
No Badges

Competch springs/35% tint/Wheel locks/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil-1 5W-30 oil & filter/Shine by Meguiar's/One scratched rim
Old 03-26-2001 | 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Cap, thanks for you post b/c you brought up some good points.
The auto vs. manual has been discussed and some ppl are ok with the auto especially if you have to sit in traffic. Yes, there are many of us who would have preferred a stick.

The suspension is ok but the stock tires are the absolute worst.
I agree w/you and wish the rear seats did fold down. I also wish the pass through was large enough for a snow board.

What part of the country are you in? I'll bet w/my headers and cai I'd give you a good run for your $$. Have you dyno'd your car or taken it to the track?

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
AEM CAI
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car
Old 03-26-2001 | 01:03 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cap'n Carl:
As it is, my sc'd Solara will outrun this car, so I won't consider moving up to it until they offer a manual trans.</font>
Does "sc'd" mean supercharged? If so that isn't a factory option is it? That isn't a fair comparison between a moded Solara and a stock CL.
Old 03-26-2001 | 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

The SS is for downshifting like when passing a car on the highway or holding a gear while turning and exiting a turn

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 03-26-2001 | 01:26 PM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bone_stock:
Does "sc'd" mean supercharged? If so that isn't a factory option is it? That isn't a fair comparison between a moded Solara and a stock CL. </font>
For some reason Toyota owners think that anything made by TRD is factory

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 03-26-2001 | 01:33 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
The SS is for downshifting like when passing a car on the highway or holding a gear while turning and exiting a turn

</font>

That's about all I use it for besides hilly areas.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi
No Badges

Competch springs/35% tint/Wheel locks/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil-1 5W-30 oil & filter/Shine by Meguiar's/One scratched rim
Old 03-26-2001 | 02:13 PM
Intermediate

WV250r: MikeN had it right, I wasn't badmouthing your car. It's obviously nicer than mine, and if you'll read my last sentence in the original post, you'll see that I think your car is the best thing on the market. What higher praise can I give it without insulting your fragile pride? And no, I won't stick to Toyota websites. I love lots of different cars, especially the CL-S, so I'll continue to visit this site and annoy you by saying nice things about Acuras.

Mike: What's wrong with the OEM tires? I live near Phoenix. I have dyno'd the car. Peak hp is 229hp at redline (6300 rpm). Peak torque is 216 at 4600 rpm. I've seen your dyno results and I think we'd have a very close race. It would probably come down to driver skill, so maybe you'd kick my butt. You have a nice looking car, btw. If I bought one, I'd get the same color, also with no spoiler.

Bone_stock, Soopa: no, the supercharger is not a factory option. It's sold by Toyota as an aftermarket item. It doesn't carry the same warranty as the rest of the powertrain, although most Toyota dealers will cover it with the powertrain warranty as long as you let them install it. It only gives about 5psi boost, so Toyota was pretty conservative to keep it from causing warranty problems.

Novawhite: I hadn't thought of downshifting for turns; that's a useful feature for the auto trans.
Old 03-26-2001 | 02:26 PM
ACME sucks!

Mike:

Your car looks exactly like mine (or mine looks exactly like yours)! Silver, no spoiler, tint, springs, etc.

I don't have any engine mods though.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi
No Badges

[This message has been edited by MikeN (edited 03-26-2001).]
Old 03-26-2001 | 02:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Mike: What's wrong with the OEM tires? I live near Phoenix. I have dyno'd the car. Peak hp is 229hp at redline (6300 rpm). Peak torque is 216 at 4600 rpm. I've seen your dyno results and I think we'd have a very close race. It would probably come down to driver skill, so maybe you'd kick my butt. You have a nice looking car, btw. If I bought one, I'd get the same color, also with no spoiler.
</font>
Hey there!! If we ever get a group of guys together in Phoenix you should join us and we can get in a few races. I'll be ordering my CAI in the next few days and then my car will be identical to Mike's. BTW, what do you mean by "near Phoenix"? Are we talkin' a 'burb or some place like Wickenburg or Casa Grande? I'll be living at 24th/Camelback within the next few weeks.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
PIAA 19169
Old 03-26-2001 | 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

the other day i was breaking hard down shifted and "CHIRP !!!" that was cool

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around

-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 03-26-2001 | 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator

They tend to fold under spirited drving and squeal like a stuck pig when you push them hard. All in all they just stink.

Mike: What's wrong with the OEM tires?
</font>

------------------
AEM CAI
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car
Old 03-26-2001 | 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Get mods!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeN:
Mike:

Your car looks exactly like mine (or mine looks exactly like yours)! Silver, no spoiler, tint, springs, etc.

I don't have any engine mods though.

</font>

------------------
AEM CAI
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car
Old 03-26-2001 | 05:34 PM
Intermediate

Gold Type S:
I live in Tempe. I'd be up for meeting with some CL owners, as long as you guys don't pick on my car too much!
Old 03-26-2001 | 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Gold Type S:
I live in Tempe. I'd be up for meeting with some CL owners, as long as you guys don't pick on my car too much!
</font>
I don't think any stock CL-S owner is gonna be picking on you too bad if you beat 'em in a straight line! Email me so I have your email address and I'll add it to a list of Phoenix owners I'm compiling.

goldtypes@aol.com

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
PIAA 19169

[This message has been edited by GoldTypeS (edited 03-26-2001).]
Old 03-26-2001 | 05:51 PM
I love my CL-S

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bone_stock:
Does "sc'd" mean supercharged? If so that isn't a factory option is it? That isn't a fair comparison between a moded Solara and a stock CL. </font>
\
a moded cl-s would kick a moded solara anytime anywhere

------------------
01 silver cl-s
k&n air filter
piaa 19169
cannon winter floor mats
Old 03-26-2001 | 06:02 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WiLd~CL~TYPS-@SS:
Originally posted by bone_stock:
\
a moded cl-s would kick a moded solara anytime anywhere

Stop it kids. It was nice of the Cap'n to come here and give us his very positive thoughts. I'm sure his manny TRD Solara could do more than keep up.
Old 03-26-2001 | 08:14 PM
Racer

my buddy with the manual stage 3 solara, greddy exhaust, denzo plugs, trd sways, sc, yoko avs's, 4psi pulleys, is putting around 225-235 to the wheels, and slightly higher torque #'s. .

these myths about a sc solara running away is nonsense, especially if they can't drive!

------------------
'01 cl-s blk/blk :: comptech headers, comptech springs, comptech sway bars
Old 03-26-2001 | 08:36 PM
10th Gear

Hey!

Been reading the board for a few weeks and had to reply to this, especially for my AZ homies

I live on dobson and rio salado parkway (Sienna at riverview apts) when I saw a new CL the other day and REALLY fell in love, previous I found them too boring, but the styling grew on me when I saw a spoiler and some pizzazz on it.

I'm the proud owner of a 00 Accord v6 coupe which I think is gorgeous, but I do like the look of the Solara (wanted in a vert but they're so hard to find!), and agree, if i wasn't going for a house I would down a CL-S in a second (until I could afford a vette anyways)! If you guys are having meets in mesa/tempe lemme know I'd love to check out your cars and race em, I'm slow as balls (16 sec car stock), but I get there in style, I know I'm slow so no problems there

Seen some nice cars, I love the black CL-S's the best, I REALLY like the shiny metallic silver on my car, but black looks good no matter what, can't wait until the CL's have some more colors, as I know they're limited right now... RWD would be nice too but I'd still like to see how the FWD goes on the CL-S as mentioned, if it feels like RWD, I may just allow myself to 'celebrate' and bite the bullet for one

I guess now that I'm finally registered you'll be seeing me a bit

BTW feel free to hit me up (email is shown in profile) about any meets, I'd be down for checking out some cars I have yet to drive, I know mine's not the best but with the new extended warranty, I'm upside down for a while

Wub,

Ginnie

------------------
Insert shameless plug for mistergin.net here!
Like Poetry? Check out Hidden Agendas!
Old 03-26-2001 | 11:13 PM
Advanced

I almost bought a Solera, and probably would have if the the supercharger had been made by TRD. I have the TRD supercharger on my TACOMA, but the last time I checked, TRD was NOT making one for the Soleral. It is an independant compay & they offer only a 1 yr warranty, plus it would render any drive train warranty claims questionable. On the other hand my TRD SC on my TACOMA has the same warranty as the rest of the drive train (5 yr/60,000). No part of the factory warranty on the vehicle is affected by adding the SC, as long as it is added to a new vehicle & a Toyota dealer installs it. Mine was done at Superior Toyota in Parkersburg. And besides, the Acura is a lot better looking!!
Old 03-27-2001 | 12:32 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
For some reason Toyota owners think that anything made by TRD is factory

</font>
Well, then anything made by Comptech is factory

------------------
- Kvit -
2001 CL=P Monterey Blue, Parchment interior
Polarg BlHybrid M-6 Road lamps
Polarg/PIAA super white interior lights *bling bling*
HP Quantum 28 -- 31% metallic tint all around

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=706725&f=0

Ferrari F355 Challenge Lap Times (Dreamcast):
-Motegi: 0'37"822 , sprint total 2'42"892
-Suzuka (short): 0'57"873
-Atlanta: 0'31"659
Old 03-27-2001 | 01:16 AM
Who's Your Daddy

not saying anything bad....just curious....is Cap saying that his solara is infact supercharged ...Our type-s are no where near supercharged but with the mods i have now....I will race a supercharged solara if with a supercharger it gives around 235 @the wheel hp...those figures remind me of the supercharged GTP...i believe those are about 240 hp....

------------------
Silver 01' Type-S w/all the trimmins
Acura loyalty
retired a 2000 TL and a 94' Acura Legend Coupe
Comptech Springs, axle-back exhaust,headers
AEM CAI
yellow bumper (fog lights) bulbs
Clear Headlights
Old 03-27-2001 | 10:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mistergin:

BTW feel free to hit me up (email is shown in profile) about any meets, I'd be down for checking out some cars I have yet to drive, I know mine's not the best but with the new extended warranty, I'm upside down for a while

</font>
gotcha on the list, mistergin

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
PIAA 19169
Old 03-27-2001 | 03:56 PM