So what camber kit do you buy for the front and what for the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002 | 06:30 PM
Old timer

So what camber kit do you buy for the front and what for the rear?

I've got a 2.5" drop and I like it at this height but I can tell the camber is already wreaking havoc on my stock rubber. What camber kits can I buy that will fix this? And with it fixed will I still be able to keep it this low? I don't want to waste the money on camber kits if it will just force me to raise it a half inch at which height I don't need the camber kit anymore anyway.
Old 04-27-2002 | 06:35 PM
Got BOOST????

I'm waiting for my coilovers and wanna drop it so it looks good. Do u have any rubbing problem right now?
Old 04-27-2002 | 07:00 PM
Old timer

No, no rubbing, no scraping. I love it, it's just the stupid camber.
Old 04-27-2002 | 08:01 PM
Got BOOST????

with the 2.5 inch drop, could u drop it more or that's it? would the stock wheels fit under the wheel well or would it maybe rub. I want to go low but can't decide on how low. I also wanna get 18 but i don't want them to rub either.
Old 04-27-2002 | 09:13 PM
Old timer

Uh I can go much lower with these coilovers but I only have around 3" clearance under my car so it would be dangerous.

So, uh, any info about what camber kits to get and if they'd fix my problem and allow me to stay at this drop?
Old 04-27-2002 | 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

i have the rear camber kit from Tim over at ACP.com. My rears where 2 degrees off no matter what I did with the race drop. But even with the race spring's agressive lowering, I was always able to get the front wheels aligned within stock settings (although I run them at 1 degree negative for better cornering traction. The rears ar now around .7 degrees negative with the camber kit. enough said.
Old 04-27-2002 | 11:15 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

I got the Speciality Product and they are the one that make the Eibach ones. Part # 67090 for $139 shipped. This where I got mine: http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=5301
Old 04-28-2002 | 12:37 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by 2Sxy4YoMama
I got the Speciality Product and they are the one that make the Eibach ones. Part # 67090 for $139 shipped. This where I got mine: http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=5301
Which front did you get the up to 1.5 or the 1.5-3.0? I have a feeling my front is pretty bad - the inside of the fronts are worn pretty badly in the past 1700 miles or so.

I need to know which front and which rear camber kits will correct it properly on our car. For the rear you said 67090, which I will do. But which front?
Thanks.

PS, I will try to get my camber stats from my alignment ASAP.
Old 04-28-2002 | 12:42 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Will adding new upper mounts (pillow-ball type?) correct camber? New mounts are listed as an option with Zeals. Are new upper mounts offered for a different reason?

Coilovers look like the best option to lower (over springs & shocks). From what I've read, I like the Teins. But, how long will they last? I drive about 22k a year. Stock suspension should last 100k easily. I don't want to buy new coilovers every 30k.

Are there any long term issues with lowering a car? Can a drop cause things to wear faster (bearings, joints, etc.)? Long term reliability problems.

thanks
B
Old 04-28-2002 | 12:51 AM
Old timer

By looking at that groupbuy it appears the fronts are replacement balljoints while the rears are camber link replacements (looks like an arm with a T at the top.

My tech said the Nex coilovers should do at least 50k.

I can tell you the tires certainly wear faster... at least when the camber is off.

I hear a lot more road noise, again mostly due to the camber.
Old 04-28-2002 | 01:04 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by JRock

My tech said the Nex coilovers should do at least 50k.

I can tell you the tires certainly wear faster... at least when the camber is off.

I hear a lot more road noise, again mostly due to the camber.
Tire wear- I'm hoping to lower before my stock tires wear out. I don't want to resolve camber issues on new tires.

Any reason for choosing the Nex? Zeals seem more for racing/track. I just want street. How does the ride compare to stock, comptech?
Old 04-28-2002 | 07:46 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by Bluto

Any reason for choosing the Nex? Zeals seem more for racing/track. I just want street. How does the ride compare to stock, comptech?
Nex SS were $650 shipped plus I liked the design. SS is for street SR for racing.

Ride is SO much stiffer but I left them at the default spring rate which is a little more than halfway down. I love it but it's pretty stiff.
Like two-fold over the comptech springs alone. I don't remember what it felt like in JZ's car with his CT springs and Koni yellows, but these coilovers are definitely stiffer.

My weak point is the tires now. My car has pretty much no bodyroll and the steering response is so tight, but until I solve the camber issue (and it's only an issue because I like it this low and don't want to raise it) I won't be finished.

I have to decide if I'm going to get camber kits or scraping up some change from the couch to bolster my puny bank account enough to bankroll a set of 18" rims and tires at which point I would just raise it a half inch and the camber wouldn't be so bad.

I think I will have to get the camber kits. Not sure yet.
Old 04-28-2002 | 02:40 PM
Got BOOST????

Originally posted by Bluto
Will adding new upper mounts (pillow-ball type?) correct camber? New mounts are listed as an option with Zeals. Are new upper mounts offered for a different reason?

Coilovers look like the best option to lower (over springs & shocks). From what I've read, I like the Teins. But, how long will they last? I drive about 22k a year. Stock suspension should last 100k easily. I don't want to buy new coilovers every 30k.

Are there any long term issues with lowering a car? Can a drop cause things to wear faster (bearings, joints, etc.)? Long term reliability problems.

thanks
B
The Teins are complety rebuildable. if the seal break or wear out, send them to the comp and they'll fix them. but of course, for a price
Old 04-28-2002 | 04:47 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

But which front?
Thanks.

PS, I will try to get my camber stats from my alignment ASAP.
The fronts are already adjustable, so you do not need any.
Old 04-28-2002 | 05:49 PM
Old timer

The fronts are already adjustable, so you do not need any.
Say what?! Front camber is adjustable?! WTF. I wish they'd fixed it when they did my alignment then?!
And if it is adjustable then why did Aaron say to watch the tirewear on the inside of the fronts if you can adjust the camber and fix it?! That would make no sense.
Also then why do they sell two different camber kits for the front?
Old 04-28-2002 | 05:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by MtBikR
i have the rear camber kit from Tim over at ACP.com. My rears where 2 degrees off no matter what I did with the race drop. But even with the race spring's agressive lowering, I was always able to get the front wheels aligned within stock settings (although I run them at 1 degree negative for better cornering traction. The rears ar now around .7 degrees negative with the camber kit. enough said.
it's strange that my car was completely alignable after i had my race springs installed. i figured i would need the rear kit too, but i didn't.
Old 04-28-2002 | 06:12 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

Say what?! Front camber is adjustable?! WTF. I wish they'd fixed it when they did my alignment then?!
And if it is adjustable then why did Aaron say to watch the tirewear on the inside of the fronts if you can adjust the camber and fix it?! That would make no sense.
Also then why do they sell two different camber kits for the front?
I do not know. Our car do not need front camber kits because our front are already adjustable. They adjusted mine when I went I got an Alignment and that is where they told me that our rear is not. Also, we need rear camber kits and the nuts and bolts does not work for our car. I think what Aaron is talking about it the toe you have to adjust too.
Old 04-28-2002 | 08:21 PM
Old timer

I do not know. Our car do not need front camber kits because our front are already adjustable. They adjusted mine when I went I got an Alignment and that is where they told me that our rear is not. Also, we need rear camber kits and the nuts and bolts does not work for our car. I think what Aaron is talking about it the toe you have to adjust too.
I just had an alignment done a two weeks ago and he said he set the toe a bit to offset the camber. But I didn't hear him say anything about fixing front camber. wtf
Old 04-28-2002 | 08:57 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

But I didn't hear him say anything about fixing front camber. wtf
I think he do not even give you an alignment in the front.
Old 04-28-2002 | 08:59 PM
Old timer

I think he do not even give you an alignment in the front.
Nah it was a fourwheel alignment and he did fix the toe which was way off. He is going to send me the data of what he fixed as soon as he gets the printer working. I will see if the camber was adjusted once I get that.
Old 04-28-2002 | 09:42 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

THE CAMBER IS NOT ADJUSTABLE ON OUR CARS.

My dealer has a Hunter road force analyzer (the only real way to align a car correctly) and I actually did the alignment with my mechanic on my car after installing my new tires. There is no camber adjustment. With my springs my car was within specs on all measurements except it was just on the other side of correct on one spec (I don't remember which one). But, I don't think you can go much lower than comptech springs and still be totally within limits.
Old 04-28-2002 | 09:55 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by JZ
THE CAMBER IS NOT ADJUSTABLE ON OUR CARS.

My dealer has a Hunter road force analyzer (the only real way to align a car correctly) and I actually did the alignment with my mechanic on my car after installing my new tires. There is no camber adjustment. With my springs my car was within specs on all measurements except it was just on the other side of correct on one spec (I don't remember which one). But, I don't think you can go much lower than comptech springs and still be totally within limits.
Whew, this is exactly what I thought was true as well. I hope it is. It at least makes more sense. That said, I will most likely be raising my car a half inch or so to help alleviate some of the camber tire wear problems since I don't have the time or energy to go through the whole "Buy camber kits, Install camber kits, Re-align car" thing.