Shifter linkage play

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,393 Posts
Shifter linkage play

While replaceing my old OEM shifter boot for the new Redline boot I just purchased, I noticed a pile of 'something' at the front of the shift lever sub-assembly. It turns out that it is the 'bushing' material (not sure what to call it) that's in the middle of the actual metal circlular frame where the linkage is attached to the shifter. It appears to have crumbled from wear over the years; inturn, increasing the play in the shifter.

If you look at the picture link below:
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

There is a depiction of the area (the circular area above the #4) that fills out the center of the shift linkage end at the shifter. The entire bushing had deteriorated and crumbled onto the shifter assembly.

In order to repair, I found a piece of brass tubing with an outer diameter that would slip into the metal circlular frame, which also had an inner diameter that would allow the linkage pin to pass through as well.

Sorry, I don't have actual pictures to display.

If you purchased the Neuspeed short shifter bracket for the CLS-6, you may want to check the wear on that 'bushing' from all those shifts over the years.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Mine has absolutely no wear at all and I have had the neuspeed short shift adapter installed ever since it came out. Dunno if Id blame it on that just yet.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by brian6speed
Mine has absolutely no wear at all and I have had the neuspeed short shift adapter installed ever since it came out. Dunno if Id blame it on that just yet.
No way to know really, I'm pushing 120K and I to bought the first run of the shifter kit when it first came out back in 03, I believe.

Needless to say, my new brass 'bushing' will last until the car dies.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:19 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i don't remember but if those parts are also made of rubber, but it is conceivable that they both should be replaced like the larger bushings on the transmission side to decrease play and increase shifter feel
Old 02-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rp_guy
i don't remember but if those parts are also made of rubber, but it is conceivable that they both should be replaced like the larger bushings on the transmission side to decrease play and increase shifter feel
The 'pile' of stuff that was present was not rubber, it seemed like it was some kind of composite material, brown in color. I had to use a vacuum to get all of it up. There was also some of it in the shifter ball area. It won't jam up anything like that, I just wanted to clean it up real well.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:30 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by zeta
The 'pile' of stuff that was present was not rubber, it seemed like it was some kind of composite material, brown in color. I had to use a vacuum to get all of it up. There was also some of it in the shifter ball area. It won't jam up anything like that, I just wanted to clean it up real well.
looking up on google it seems that it's made out of plastic and easily breaks (on other cars like the rsx).. so this could very well be preventative maintenance as well
Old 02-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rp_guy
looking up on google it seems that it's made out of plastic and easily breaks (on other cars like the rsx).. so this could very well be preventative maintenance as well
The kicker is, one can not just purchase the 'bushing', that I know of, unless you get the whole 'change wire' assembly, #8 on the link above.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Lone Wolf

The kicker is, one can not just purchase the 'bushing', that I know of, unless you get the whole 'change wire' assembly, #8 on the link above.
yea just like how you cant buy the shift trim piece without buying the leather boot with it.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by brian6speed
yea just like how you cant buy the shift trim piece without buying the faux leather boot with it.
I looked into that piece when I wanted to get rid of my old shift boot. Ninety plus dollars if you can find it. The vinyl was starting to peel off from baking in the FL sun for 7.5 years. The leather one from Redline is great and was simple to replace. $40.35 shipped form Poland.

Then I came upon the bushing problem. I wondered why there was so much play in the shifter lately.

I just wonder if the higher mounting angle of the NS bracket shifter pin, which enables the feeling of shorter shifts, puts more stress on the bushing; thus, causing it to deteriorate? I also tend to be hard on the shifter as well.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:32 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,147 Likes on 4,814 Posts
Grease the bushing area.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Lone Wolf

I also have those little red color washer type things on both sides dunno if that helps.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Haven't noticed it on mine. I have a old Neuspeed kit as well.
My boot is just fine too.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

For those interested, I replaced the shifter cable bushing 'rig' I had in place with a product that Jonathan Hill offered on his Jswapshop website back in 2021.

The results are shown below in the posts that I made at the time:

Here are a few pictures of the shifter bushings I purchased and installed from JswapShop.com:

The main shifter bushing had to be modified to use with the Neuspeed short shifter device since it utilizes a higher
shift post. The larger left side shift bushing had no modification. These seemed to tighten things up a bit. The rubber
hose I used, years ago, when the plastic OEM shift cable bush crumbled was perished. So hopefully the plastic
JswapShop one will get me a few years, though I'm sure it to will eventually fail.

I'm going to revisit this connection (tighten it up side to side) and try to find a couple of appropriately sized nylon
washers to place on either side of the shift cable loop. Because I only used the inner circumference on the Jswap
bush, there is movement from side to side when shifting.

Here are a few pictures of the now extinct Neuspeed short shifter device offered back in the day for those interested.

There is the old rubber hose type material I had placed when the OEM inner bush crumbled from use / age.

JSwapShop bushing.

I sliced away the bushing part you see on the connector pin with a razor knife to make it fit.

This bushing would be the 'tits' if it was machined to its measurement specs in brass. I think that would offer up
a better life span as this critical pressure point is potentially utilized thousands of times during years of driving.

The thread I made regarding the issue:

Thanks Jonathan.
Before:

After:

Nylon washers from local Ace hardware.

Fast forward 2-1/2 years later and I found another set of replacement shifter cable bushings on Acura2g558's youtube channel.
He was highlighting the Hybrid Racing Delrin shifter cable bushings and shows the installation in the video below:

If you search ebay on the part # HYB-SCB-01-05 you can find them from the mainland under $20 shipped if you want to wait for delivery.

This is what the kit looks like:

I only used the smaller (green) of the two on the shifter, since the larger (red) JSwapShop one, in place, still was functional & tight.

Up close:

Final install:

I just reused the original cotter pin other than the supplied clips provided with the kit.

Recently, I noticed the JSwapShop modified shifter cable bushing I installed 2.5 years ago was just starting to have some 'play'; therefore, when I observed these Hybrid's on Acura2g558's video I figured WTF and ordered a set to try to see how long it lasts.
The following 2 users liked this post by zeta:
Allout (09-12-2023), Thefireball (09-03-2023)