sheilding wire in the amp question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001 | 11:40 PM
Burning Brakes

sheilding wire in the amp question

does anyone know what this is for? i plan on changing the amp and speakers this weekend....and i don't know what this sheilding connection in the amp is for! the wire is supposed to be light green. anyone.....?

------------------
CL-P....icy white!
moon roof visor: mud guards: genuine acura nose mask: genuine acura burlwood shift knob: polarg m-12 on blinkers: m-4s on internal lamps: m-4 on rear plate lamp: piaa bulbs on road lamps: K&N drop in filter: Catz XLO Driving lights: zaino polish
"i drive it like my grandma....j/k"
Old 06-12-2001 | 12:35 AM
Retired. Not available.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by icy CL:
does anyone know what this is for? i plan on changing the amp and speakers this weekend....and i don't know what this sheilding connection in the amp is for! the wire is supposed to be light green. anyone.....?

</font>
huh? what are you talking about? I've never heard of a "sheilding" nor "shielding" wire
before? where did you get it from?

------------------
'01 Silver CL-S
Painted Mud Guard
Silver Aluminum Pedals
Customed self-installed sound system with 5-channel Kenwood Amp and 10in. Pioneer sub. in Customized box.
(modified) CAI.
Meshed grill.
My Pride
Old 06-12-2001 | 12:41 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SilverKnight:

[/b]
huh? what are you talking about? I've never heard of a "sheilding" nor "shielding" wire
before? where did you get it from?

[/B]</font>
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...906&p=37866086 . just click on the image....my browser is acting up right now so i can only view it in large mode....but cant seem to post the link. let me try this... http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high . LT GRN (shielding). never heard of it either. do i need to connect that to something or can i just leave it alone? i plan on changing the amp this weekend! damn...sorry about all those edits!

------------------
CL-P....icy white!
moon roof visor: mud guards: genuine acura nose mask: genuine acura burlwood shift knob: polarg m-12 on blinkers: m-4s on internal lamps: m-4 on rear plate lamp: piaa bulbs on road lamps: K&N drop in filter: Catz XLO Driving lights: zaino polish

[This message has been edited by icy CL (edited 06-11-2001).]

Old 06-12-2001 | 01:09 AM
Retired. Not available.

I overlooked it when I did my installation. But anyway, it's something for the factory amp. As long as you have the remote wire and speaker outputs, the rest is careless. Good luck with the installation. Let me know if I could help.

Peace.

------------------
'01 Silver CL-S
Painted Mud Guard
Silver Aluminum Pedals
Customed self-installed sound system with 5-channel Kenwood Amp and 10in. Pioneer sub. in Customized box.
(modified) CAI.
Meshed grill.
My Pride
Old 06-12-2001 | 04:36 AM
Instructor

Hey I found out about this one from the Audiolink people when I was hooking up their line-level converter. The "shield" wire is the same as a signal wire ground. With the Bose factory system you have your chassis ground which is your typical negative ground and then you have a separate ground, the shield wire, for your signal wires. The converter actually has a terminal for this wire. I still don't know what you would do with it if you were hooking up a new amp directly.

------------------
'01 CL-S Black/Parchment
Spoiler and NAV.
Infinity Kappa 6.5" comps.
Kappa 2-way 6x9s
10" Kicker Solobaric sub.
Kicker IX405D 5-channel amp.
Old 06-12-2001 | 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

SilverKnight, Driven or anyone who's done this.....got questions for you. how did you guys install your amps for the front and rear speakers? did you use line or speaker level inputs. any hiss at low volumes when using either one? and also, can you tell me how to pop out the tweeter housing. i guess i just use a wedge or flat head screw driver and pop that thing out, right? thanks!!!

------------------
CL-P....icy white!
Old 06-12-2001 | 12:16 PM
Drifting

I used Highlevel inputs for my amp, and have had no hissing problems whatsoever. What speakers are you going with? From what I understand, hissing isnt a big problem in our cars.

Spiro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by icy CL:
SilverKnight, Driven or anyone who's done this.....got questions for you. how did you guys install your amps for the front and rear speakers? did you use line or speaker level inputs. any hiss at low volumes when using either one? and also, can you tell me how to pop out the tweeter housing. i guess i just use a wedge or flat head screw driver and pop that thing out, right? thanks!!!

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-13-2001 | 12:35 PM
Instructor

I do get a tiny bit of hiss with the volume down, just before the last notch on the volume level when the head unit just shuts off the signal. But you can't hear it when you start up the car. From my personal install experience, I now suggest going with the hi-level inputs with a converter if you can. The low/preamp signal method gave me too many noise problems.

------------------
'01 CL-S Black/Parchment
Spoiler and NAV.
Kappa 2-way 6x9s
Old 06-13-2001 | 12:38 PM
Instructor

Oh and the tweeter housing is held on by a couple of those metal retaing clips. But you can just pull the housing off with your fingers if you can. If not, then use a taped up screwdriver or something to pry it off.

------------------
'01 CL-S Black/Parchment
Spoiler and NAV.
Kappa 2-way 6x9s