It Seems CompTech Has Competition With Icebox...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 07:39 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It Seems CompTech Has Competition With Icebox...

Here's what they say: "If you're worried about driving on a rainy day with your cold-air filter, check out Weapon*R's new 'Cold Air Box.' Designed using technology seen in many forms of racing, this kit isolates the filter in the engine compartment away from dirt and water, which can cause serious engine damage. Weapon*R also says the system aids horsepower by isolating the filter and allowing the engine to draw air from a cold source. Weapon*R's "Cold Air Boxes are made of high quality aluminum, and they are precision cut and folded for easy installation and clean fit."

For more information, contact Weapon*R Competition Products, Inc. at (650) 877-8280, or visit www.weapon-r.com
(Source..."Honda Tuning magazine, October-November issue, page 15.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:36 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not new and the design isn't the same as Comptechs.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
That's actually pretty old. Didn't moomaster work on Weapon-R with this in the beginning of the year?
Old 12-04-2002, 10:23 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

It seems that the design may be a little different, but the idea is very similar. I wonder what the difference is? Anyone know?
Old 12-04-2002, 10:31 AM
Safety Car

Comptech Ice Box

Comptech's Ice-Box is a money-making machine, although it is only marginally better than a stock air-box with drop-in K&N and a drop-out directing cold-air inside. The benefits are larger filter-area of the Comptech cone vs. the flat K&N and slightly larger diameter outlet from the air-box. I'd say that's about a 2-3hp difference.

Spend $$$ on the Comptech air-box or $45 on a home-made version.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:57 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

allmotor,
It's the best design i've seen to date. It is more than just filter.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:17 PM
Grammar Police

Originally posted by Zapata
allmotor,
It's the best design i've seen to date. It is more than just filter.
That's a gorgeous statement and all, but I'm more inclined to believe allmotor on this, since he always posts technical details and past personal experiences....

Whereas you just seem to make blanket statements, like above, which don't really have any value added.

It's more than just filter -- then WHAT IS IT that will provide more than 2-3hp?
Old 12-04-2002, 01:27 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Kkranghkar
That's a gorgeous statement and all, but I'm more inclined to believe allmotor on this, since he always posts technical details and past personal experiences....

Whereas you just seem to make blanket statements, like above, which don't really have any value added.

It's more than just filter -- then WHAT IS IT that will provide more than 2-3hp?

hehe, sorry i work for a living and can't always provide a thesis paper along with my statments. Moroever, what DATA has allmotor actually provided?@# NONE. Here's allmotors data

I'd say that's about a 2-3hp difference
I'm SOLD!

There is plenty of data on HOnda performance tuning and tuning in general out there. The web, books, etc.,
Old 12-04-2002, 02:43 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Well it's true that you seem to blanket your unstoppable support for the almightly Comptech...but that's just an opinion
Old 12-04-2002, 03:42 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by AgentDSS
Well it's true that you seem to blanket your unstoppable support for the almightly Comptech...but that's just an opinion
Blanket support? No. Support for a good product is based on quality and performance is justified in my opinion. If you try and spin that in some negative way then go for it.....

There are huge design differences between what Weapon-R, AEM, INJEN are offering and what comptech is supposed to release. Based on the design with respect to performance comptech has the best design out. If it were somebdoy else then i'd say it but their just isn't. Some of the people on this board have their heads up their assess and criticize, whine and bitch about price and price only. Notice that? They have absolutely nothing to offer when it comes to the techinical aspects of a product yet they unfairly criticize what companies do just because they don't think the product is "priced" correctly.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:53 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL Moomaster is the guru behind it
Old 12-04-2002, 04:11 PM
Safety Car

If somebody would 'lend' me their ice-box... I'll make two 1/4-mile passes - one for each intake-type. That should be good data?!

In any case... I will take the car to Carlsbad one more time before the turbo is installed... hoping for 13.7's. I don't see a 6spd equipped with the Comptech ice-box hitting faster times

No flame intended here... so let's not egg this on please!
Old 12-04-2002, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Yea moomaster does have the Weapon R Box...even at idle you can hear a constant low rumble hum from it. WHen you get on VTEC, it sounds pretty nice.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:27 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
If somebody would 'lend' me their ice-box... I'll make two 1/4-mile passes - one for each intake-type. That should be good data?!

In any case... I will take the car to Carlsbad one more time before the turbo is installed... hoping for 13.7's. I don't see a 6spd equipped with the Comptech ice-box hitting faster times

No flame intended here... so let's not egg this on please!
No flaming

I think a dyno would be more appropriate comparison, no?

I'll dyno my car once i get the ice box. I'll have the dyno's done at the same time, with and without the ice box. I'll have to have some people there helping my uninstall and install as dyno time tends to get expensive. Hopefully i should have the OBD-2 software so we can determine coolant temps as well as other relevant data.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:32 PM
Banned

My car with the short ram dynos approximately the same amount as the CAI...with the box...you can feel the diff...all air inside the box is cold v. the hot engine air. Now...for CT's design...it is top notch.. I have seen the integra one in person when we were up there last year for the CT meet. True it is similar to a stock airbox set up...but it uses an airhorn style intake (aimed thru the stock fog/roadlamp) and it goes thru the drop in filter and straight to the TB....the big diff is that the tubes are 3"...smooth....unlike the stockbox. And for all purposes....the aluminum housing of all pipes does produce a hum all the time...those that don't hear it on the CAI...its only because it is in the bumper...but its there...not nearly as prevalant as on a short ram...also, I would assume since plastic is not something that creates a vibratory sound as aluminum does...that would cure that problem...still a bit of $$...but if you want the best...you got to pay to play.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:07 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

The best way to tell which is better is dyno them both and see what the results bring.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:36 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

is the weapon R CARB cert'd?
Old 12-12-2002, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RaptorCLS
is the weapon R CARB cert'd?
Yes, it has a Carb cert.