Second time trying to install Stone Headers fails

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Second time trying to install Stone Headers fails

So my first time trying to have my Stone headers installed, the A-Pipe lined up correctly, but the placement for the O2 sensor was completely off (it was touching the oil pan). So following the dealer's advice, I had my stock headers put back on. This ran me $200 for the install, and $200 for the uninstall. Total cost : $400 for headers, $400 for install = $800.

I called Nashua, and he mailed me out a second A-pipe. I brought my car to a mechanic I know that does aftermarket installs on lots of Honda/Acuras. I gave him both A-pipes just incase.

The new A-pipe didn't line up what-so-ever. Following the Comptech directions and Nashua's directions to not tighten any bolts beforehand and then lining up everything, the A-pipe was still about 1.5" off from lining up to the exhaust. It was so bad that the bolt was lining up with where the exhaust flows through. Oh, the O2 sensor alignment was perfect though.

He put the old A-pipe on and he was able to get that one to bolt up... but like the first time, the O2 sensor was hitting the oil pan and we both agreed that it was too dangerous to leave it that way.

He took digital pictures of how poorly the new A-pipe lined up and I'll post them up once I get them ... but I'd just like to say that I think Stone headers SUCK and I have now wasted a total of $1000+ not to mention my time and I still have my stock headers on my car. I am going to ask Nashua back for a FULL refund, but last time that got me absolutely no where. Anyone interested in buying the Stone headers, BEWARE! You're probably better off buying the OBX headers... at least those seem to bolt on.

Anyone want to sell me a set of used or new comptech headers cheap? At least I know they'll bolt on correctly.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
that sucks man.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:27 PM
2 C Not 2 Touch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, that really sucks! $1000 and nothing to show for. I'd definitely fight for the refund.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Beware of leakage

Ouch! was this the 1st or second batch...Sorry about the loss.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by Chopper
Ouch! was this the 1st or second batch...Sorry about the loss.
I believe the first A-pipe was from the first batch, the second A-pipe was from the second batch.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Racer

Nashua you posted about the new Alpha Werks headers I listed I was trying to test install. For the record I am not selling them and have no ties with them. I think that you should post responce to this so others can see.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:29 AM
Sweet as Gold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OMG...I feel soooo bad for u man. I hope u get a full refund for everythimg man...including the wasted money on half installayion jobs. I mean I like Nausha and everything and I don't even know if he makes the headers but if I spent $1000 on installations and the part was completly wrong TWO TIMES...i'd be in small claims court or something. Thats not right and it would be extremely bad for business if he goes about this the wrong way. Good luck on everything including getting a set of Comptechs...
Old 02-28-2004, 02:43 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

$1000...that's enough to buy a new set of Comptech headers.

Hope you are able to resolve this issue.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:26 AM
Liquid Ice

Well, I PM'ed Nashua asking for a refund, but I'm not exactly holding my breath. Last time, he said he'd ask STONE to refund my installation costs but he didn't think that they would since the headers are produced in Europe and they come with no warranty.

And I am kicking myself because I bought the STONE headers with the impression that it would be machine welded and would have a better fitment than OBX. And of course to save money... $400 verus $1100 for the Comptechs. By the time this is done unless I get some money back from Nashua, I'll have spent almost $2000 for headers.

And to boot, I just missed juniorbean's groupbuy for the comptech headers...

But I saw a few people who had used CT headers on sale in the forums, so there's hope!

Normally, I think twice before buying something where the price is "too good to be true" at less than half the price of the Comptechs, coming from Europe from a company with no website and no warranty on the headers. However, I usually buy electronics. Electronics are fairly complex, making a CPU isn't something anyone can just do. But headers, they're just pipes. It isn't exactly like making some complex electronics... Just goes to show me that this kindof stuff can be just as much of a headache!

Oh well! Lesson learned, you get what you pay for.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:18 PM
Liquid Ice

Well Nashua responded to my PM, and offered some suggestions for fitment which I don't believe will help given how far out of alignment the 2nd A-pipe was.

He also said that he already tried to help me by mailing me out a 2nd A-pipe, which of course unfortunately did not fit either.

Finally, he said he'd forward the issue onto Stone but didn't think I'd get my money back.

So, there you have it.. Most likely I won't get anything back in terms of money.

Just know that Stone headers are Caveat emptor, buyer beware!!!!

If Stone refuses to refund my money, I supposed legal council maybe the next recourse.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Originally posted by jgscott
Nashua you posted about the new Alpha Werks headers I listed I was trying to test install. For the record I am not selling them and have no ties with them. I think that you should post responce to this so others can see.
No harm that I can see. You are welcome here with your new headers. I just wanted to give you a hint that making a before and after dyno help a lot if you are selling. If not that is fine too.

Congrats on you new headers.

Nashua.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

These headers must really be unqiue on each set produced. I had my Stones (from the same batch you got) installed last weekend w/ no issues. I did have two of the same header (I think two fronts), but Nashua sent me a replacement. I wish you luck in this.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:48 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,421 Posts
I think in headers at least...you get what you pay for. The CT Headers for more $$$ are worth the peace of mind if ya ask me.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by AgentDSS
These headers must really be unqiue on each set produced. I had my Stones (from the same batch you got) installed last weekend w/ no issues. I did have two of the same header (I think two fronts), but Nashua sent me a replacement. I wish you luck in this.
I think the headers were manually welded versus being machine welded like the stock headers are and I'm guessing the Comptech headers. Both my headers were made on Friday, yours on Wednesday I guess
Old 02-28-2004, 03:45 PM
nothing

im sorry but the overall quality of stone is pretty bad, nothing lines up, ie: the flange to the runners, the merge collector to the down pipe theyre alignment is off. but for 300 i guess theyre ok. if i could i would go with comptech...but they dont make them for my car so its not possible.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Liquid Ice

Here are the pictures that the installer took:

First downpipe, O2 sensor is touching the oil pan. Had trouble even getting the O2 sensor into the downpipe:

More of the same:

Next two pics are of the 2nd downpipe, as you can see the downpipe doesn't line up with the exhaust. Drilling the holes out bigger wouldn't have helped, they're way off:

Still no word on getting any sortof refund.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:22 PM
Sweet as Gold

Man that is such bullshit...I really do hope u get some if not ALL ur cash back. Good luck
Old 03-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
That's NOT EVEN CLOSE!
Old 03-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Old 03-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Liquid Ice

Was told that I could have wrapped the O2 sensor with high heat resistant rubber, and that even if the O2 sensor burned out or was missing that it would not really effect my car ?!?!?!

As far as I recall, burning out the O2 sensor is a bad thing. I seem to recall a couple of OBX header owners saying that they had burned out the O2 sensor and they needed to buy a new O2 sensor after a few months of driving around with the headers.

Can anyone back me up on this?
Old 03-06-2004, 01:12 PM
Racer

Originally posted by LiQiCE
Was told that I could have wrapped the O2 sensor with high heat resistant rubber, and that even if the O2 sensor burned out or was missing that it would not really effect my car ?!?!?!

As far as I recall, burning out the O2 sensor is a bad thing. I seem to recall a couple of OBX header owners saying that they had burned out the O2 sensor and they needed to buy a new O2 sensor after a few months of driving around with the headers.

there is exhaust shroud that one could wrap pieces that can get extremely hot with... but it's still BS that you have to go out of your way to wrap a piece that is improperly aligned/set, in the directions it doesn't say heat wrap the o2 sensor because it can get burned to shit
Old 03-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by LiQiCE

I would like to offer my engineering help here,, I too had alignment problems but something doesn't add up here. The acura honda lexus repair shop that I use and have become friends with the owner, have set up a engine block so we can take measurements of problems just like this,, I think I know what this issue is but would like to check them first. I have had my stone headers on now for 15k miles and no problems..

If you could ship these to me I'll analysis them. Don't worry I'll ship them back to you.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by fender4
I would like to offer my engineering help here,, I too had alignment problems but something doesn't add up here. The acura honda lexus repair shop that I use and have become friends with the owner, have set up a engine block so we can take measurements of problems just like this,, I think I know what this issue is but would like to check them first. I have had my stone headers on now for 15k miles and no problems..

If you could ship these to me I'll analysis them. Don't worry I'll ship them back to you.
fender4,

Well first I need to find out if I'm going to get some sortof refund from Nashua, and if I do get a refund if I need to mail these defective headers back to him.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

LiQiCE,
Check your PM.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:40 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,421 Posts
ya get what ya pay for IMO.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Masshole

My Stone headers have been great. There was a slight fitment issue, but it was expected, as it was the second set made for our cars...Nashua has the first set, and I have the second set. The issues certainly weren't of this magnitude, though.

Hope you can find some satisfaction here...this kinda sucks rocks.