SC430 Camber Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003 | 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

SC430 Camber Issues

I know this is not the appropriate forum but having seen the issues my father-in-law has experienced I have to vent.

My wife's father owns an '02 SC430 paid for in cash. It now has about 36k miles on it and has been through three sets of tires; all with inner tires wear.

I have to digress for a moment. Before I met my wife (although I was a teenager) I had an interest in cars but never did anything with them. I understood the mechanics and controls but never touched them. My father-in-law started me off. He is an old school wrencher than knows the tricks to make things work, although the current computer stuff is a little out of his league, basic mechanical functions are not. Having been part owner in a speed shop during the hey days of the muscle car era he is certainly not a novice.

Now back to the original topic. His SC430 has worn out multiple sets of tires, one set replaced by Lexus. After the first replacement he watched the pattern and noticed inner wear. This indicated negative camber. So he pulled out yard stick and a straight line and measured almost 3 degrees negative camber.

Obviously it was taken in for an alignment. To keep the story short; the specs for the Lexus SC430 cannot be met. You cannot even achieve 0 camber. The best you can hope for is about 1 degree negative camber even though the specs state that it has an adjustment range of + camber range. However, there is not enough ability there to reach even the minimal mark.

This has been verified on multiple vehicle, not just his. None can even reach the factory defined specs.

I can understand some negative camber, but to be locked in this in a grand touring vehicle which cannot even be set at the factory limits is terrible.
Old 03-21-2003 | 11:31 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

I remember reading something similar with new Mustang Cobra. An owner had and issue and worked with the dealer. They couldn't figure it out. Called the factory engineers and they couldn't work it out. It ended up being a design flaw.

One of the members who is no longer active on this board had a similar issue with the alignment on his car. End result, lemon law'd it cause they couldn't figure out what it was.

Probably doesn't help but just sharing what i know Good Luck.
Old 03-21-2003 | 11:38 PM
Senior Moderator

thats rediculous for a stock height vehicle, not to mention a new lexus.

sounds like it wears tires like a 911 porsche.
Old 03-22-2003 | 12:24 AM
Pro

Re: SC430 Camber Issues

Originally posted by scalbert
Now back to the original topic. His SC430 has worn out multiple sets of tires, one set replaced by Lexus. After the first replacement he watched the pattern and noticed inner wear. This indicated negative camber. So he pulled out yard stick and a straight line and measured almost 3 degrees negative camber.

Obviously it was taken in for an alignment. To keep the story short; the specs for the Lexus SC430 cannot be met. You cannot even achieve 0 camber. The best you can hope for is about 1 degree negative camber even though the specs state that it has an adjustment range of + camber range. However, there is not enough ability there to reach even the minimal mark.
This happens through three reasons:

1) Federalization, AKA weight increase over Japan-spec.

2) Bushing re-spec for a more supple ride.

3) Truly hard driving.

The first is self-explanatory. The second is probably due to some marketer's demand that the car be both shod with run-flats and still ride like a Lexus. The third is simply more-than-usual spring settling, which has occured to the last two cars I have owned.

A solution if your father is mod-friendly is to look for adjustable upper arms. I believe between the IS and the GS (Aristo), the SC430 is derived from the latter platform and so there might be aftermarket arms from Cusco for the Aristo (being that it weighs less and is available with the Supra Turbo engine, so hence considered a credible sporting platform there) that may fit the current Soarer (SC).

Alternatively, you could always pursue custom-fabricated springs. But he'll have to be okay with a higher ride height.
Old 03-22-2003 | 02:17 AM
///M POWER

thats weird, post this at www.clublexus.com
Old 03-22-2003 | 08:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: SC430 Camber Issues

Originally posted by DtEW
This happens through three reasons:

1) Federalization, AKA weight increase over Japan-spec.

2) Bushing re-spec for a more supple ride.

3) Truly hard driving.
On occasions there is hard driving, but that isn't the issue.

It has been realigned numerous times and every time the vehicle cannot meet spec. As mentioned, this is not exclusive to his, one dealer tried to get within spec with two cars on the lot and failed. The negative camber was easily visible from behind the vehicle and was in the front and rear. It appears that manufacturing and design have somehow gotten out of alignment.

He does have his own solution but hasn't shared with Lexus. A grinder can do wonders at times...

But I agree, it most likely is some issue related to your number 1 or 2 points.
Old 03-22-2003 | 08:19 AM
Suzuka Master

I did bring this up on Club Lexus but either it was missed, no body else notices it or it is exclsive to this area.

He may be Lemoning this car though.
Old 03-22-2003 | 08:43 AM
Race Director

multiple people at the 350z forum describe this exact problem. seems there is no way to adjust the front camber on the Z.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...threadid=23350

mine only has 1200 miles on it..i'm a little nervous.
Old 03-22-2003 | 07:03 PM
///M POWER

scalbert, r u talkin about that red sc u smoked at the track?? i lost those vidz, do u still got em??
Old 03-22-2003 | 09:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by darrinb
scalbert, r u talkin about that red sc u smoked at the track?? i lost those vidz, do u still got em??
Yes, that is the one, The video is below:

SC430 vs CL-S6
Old 03-22-2003 | 10:02 PM
The Liquidator

14.3 is very nice.!@!!!
Wat do u have on their?

PH
Old 03-22-2003 | 10:08 PM
Suzuka Master

At that time headers and a custom intake. It should be noted that it was a nasty day also. Dew point was near the ambient temps (this was central Georgia) and I had a DTC set (P0300 Random Misfires).

IMO, 14.1's could have been had if the car would have agreed and the humidity would have been below 70% (which is good for this part of the country).