Rumor: New V6 Headers from OBX Racing for $499! New headers from TRR for $850!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002 | 04:10 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Rumor: New V6 Headers from OBX Racing for $499! New headers from TRR for $850!

As posted on the AccordV6 board:

http://www.v6accord.com/forums/showt...?threadid=6659

A Guy claimed he got V6 headers for $850 made in philipines by TRR.

Old 04-09-2002 | 04:11 PM

I got Comptech headers for $800 installed. beat that!

:P
Old 04-09-2002 | 04:12 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally posted by TypeSKid
I got Comptech headers for $800 installed. beat that!

:P
Used!:P
Old 04-09-2002 | 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life

Used!:P

I couldn't tell a difference. They looked great, and there was no way I was gonna pay $1250, then $300 to get them installed.

When u gettin the headers?
Old 04-09-2002 | 04:19 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Never unless they come down on the price, or I find a used set.
Old 04-09-2002 | 04:59 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life

Never unless they come down on the price, or I find a used set.
Old 04-09-2002 | 06:31 PM
Drifting

being of filipino decent i would question the quality of these headers...dont get me wrong i would love some cheap headers and i love the philippines but the quality of some things made there are just
Old 04-09-2002 | 06:34 PM
BC
nearsighted visionary

Put a lid on it Skid. I think the only person who doesn't know about your headers lives in Mozambique. I have it on good authority that he don't give a rip. I'm happy for your fortune but enough already.
Old 04-09-2002 | 06:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I couldn't tell a difference. They looked great, and there was no way I was gonna pay $1250, then $300 to get them installed.

2001-2003 Acura, CL, Type S

Notes: polished TIG welded

Our Price:
$1099.96

Shipping: $21.00

hmm, I just did a search on google and found them for $1099.

http://www.autocarparts.com/acura/cl/exhaust.php3
Old 04-09-2002 | 07:00 PM
Old timer

$1120 + install. Still too much.
Old 04-09-2002 | 07:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by JRock
$1120 + install. Still too much.
ya, i agree. But i was just showing a cheaper price. I don't know everyones budget. heh, headers for my Camaro where only $350
Old 04-09-2002 | 08:05 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by SiGGy

heh, headers for my Camaro where only $350
Yup, most normal cars have headers under $800, AFAIK. $1100-1250 is communism.
Old 04-09-2002 | 09:17 PM
Subie Dubie

Intake - $250 - 8hp = $31.25 per hp.
Headers - $1100 - 32hp = $34.38 per hp.

I still don't see the problem since there are no others available. I think they're worth every penny, and the longer i have them, the more i appreciate them. Just my opinion.
Old 04-09-2002 | 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

ever hear that old phrase, "you get what you pay for".
Old 04-09-2002 | 10:22 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by Red Rider
Intake - $250 - 8hp = $31.25 per hp.
Headers - $1100 - 32hp = $34.38 per hp.

I still don't see the problem since there are no others available. I think they're worth every penny, and the longer i have them, the more i appreciate them. Just my opinion.
The problem doesn't involve an equation, it simply involves a number: $1100 (and shipping and installation added to that of course).

Not everyone wants to drop $1100 on a mod they can't see or hear all the time and only use for a few seconds at the most. I'm not looking for an argument, I'm just telling you how it is. If you think they're so affordable and worthwhile go ahead and buy me a set.
Old 04-10-2002 | 12:56 AM
Subie Dubie

The problem doesn't involve an equation, it simply involves a number: $1100 (and shipping and installation added to that of course).

Not everyone wants to drop $1100 on a mod they can't see or hear all the time and only use for a few seconds at the most. I'm not looking for an argument, I'm just telling you how it is. If you think they're so affordable and worthwhile go ahead and buy me a set.
Then i'd have to buy everyone a set
Old 04-10-2002 | 01:50 AM
Pro

I got my Comptech headers from

www.acuraofbellevue.com

for $975 + $25 shipping.

Ask for Tommy Moua
Old 04-10-2002 | 01:51 AM
Pro

How often & how long are you above 4800rpm with the VTEC ??
Old 04-10-2002 | 06:45 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Not everyone wants to drop $1100 on a mod they can't see or hear all the time and only use for a few seconds at the most.
For me, this is an advantage (depends on what you are looking for).

Also, I think headers are the safest mod available. They can't cause ANY problems. No one has damaged a motor with headers. CAI, different story.

They are a high quality and safe product with nice performance gains. But, I agree $1100 is steep.
Old 04-10-2002 | 08:35 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by cnatra

How often & how long are you above 4800rpm with the VTEC ??
I'd say I WOT a couple gears maybe once a week and it's usually when merging onto I-95 and some soccermom with her hands up her ass decides to COME TO A COMPLETE STOP ON THE ON-RAMP because she doesn't understand the concept of MERGING so I have to go around her and merge into faster traffic. Love the V-Tec.

I said:
use for a few seconds at the most.
And for real gains, you're talking above 5600rpm:

Old 04-10-2002 | 11:08 AM
Intermediate

thats where you want power no? i mean the car has plenty of useable power down low to get around town...but when you want to go fast...you rev it up...that's where I would want my power...and 32 hp gain....thats a lot of extra power
Old 04-10-2002 | 11:40 AM

Originally posted by blackmagic

thats where you want power no? i mean the car has plenty of useable power down low to get around town...but when you want to go fast...you rev it up...that's where I would want my power...and 32 hp gain....thats a lot of extra power

I agree.

It would be totally gay if the headers produced nothing but low RPM power.

The further you get into VTEC, the more pull you have before you have to shift. It buys you time before you shift because we lose power on the shift due to the auto tranny. I like to wind it out at the top of each gear. And before the headers, the power just wasn't there.

I think it totally makes sense for the power to be where it is.
Old 04-10-2002 | 12:13 PM
Old timer

thats where you want power no?
Not the point. The point was I'm rarely in that part of the rpm range, hence it is not a worthwhile mod for me when considering price vs use.

It would be totally gay if the headers produced nothing but low RPM power.
Yes, it would. Good thing no one even came close to insinuating they should produce only low rpm power. Btw, you forgot to mention how much you got your headers for.
Old 04-10-2002 | 12:17 PM

Not the point. The point was I'm rarely in that part of the rpm range, hence it is not a worthwhile mod for me when considering price vs use.

Yes, it would. Good thing no one even came close to insinuating they should produce only low rpm power. Btw, you forgot to mention how much you got your headers for.

hahahahahahaha!

JROCK, you crack me up...

At the next meet I'm going to annoy the hell outta you for your up and down attitude!

how come you're so up and down?

Got Prozac?
Old 04-10-2002 | 12:18 PM

JROCK,

where do you think the power from the headers should be then?

And you must drive like a grandma if you are rarely in that part of the RPM band...
Old 04-10-2002 | 12:20 PM
Old timer

I'm just sick of your crap. You keep trying to create stupid arguments for people that are nothing like what anyone was saying. Go back to work.

And what's this up-and-down shit? Everytime someone calls you out for changing the argument and being stupid, they suddenly need Prozac? Grow up.

Where I think the power should be is not the issue - the issue is based on the facts: you only get a real benefit from the Comptech headers when you're above 5600rpm, and to me that's not worth $1100+installation. If it is to you, fine, have fun.

We go through this same thing every time there's a headers thread. Maybe you should stop post-whoring and we'd all be better off.

At the next meet I'm going to annoy the hell outta you
You mean you're not gonna just sit at a different table than the rest of us, because you're so whipped you had to bring your girlfriend and she made you sit with her away from everyone else? You practically weren't even part of the last meet the whole time we were eating dinner. I felt bad for you then, but if this is your attitude I'm kinda glad you weren't with the rest of us.
Old 04-10-2002 | 12:37 PM

What a pussy...

Old 04-10-2002 | 12:54 PM

JCOCK,

smart off to me at the next meet, ok?

I'm begging you to.

I had no clue that my actions at the meet were so important to you...

And why don't you sit down and write Comptech a letter on how to make headers, since after all, you know so much more than them.
Old 04-10-2002 | 01:13 PM
Old timer

See now you just proved two things:

1 - You're the one who has mood-swing problems.

2 - You can't stop post whoring.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2002 | 01:33 PM

See now you just proved two things:

1 - You're the one who has mood-swing problems.

2 - You can't stop post whoring.

Thanks.
I'm finished arguing with you.

You are an obvious waste of my time and intelligence.

Welcome to my ignore list.
Old 04-10-2002 | 01:47 PM
Old timer

Yeah, right, so anyway, now that that's out of the way we can return to the thread:

Originally posted by mattg
ever hear that old phrase, "you get what you pay for".
Actually that phrase is used to say that something cheaper than average must have a downside, not to say that over-paying for something means it will be so much better.
Old 04-10-2002 | 01:51 PM
Intermediate

The point was I'm rarely in that part of the rpm range, hence it is not a worthwhile mod for me when considering price vs use.
you should have bought a base CL
Old 04-10-2002 | 01:52 PM

bwwwhahahahaha

new member,

you will learn quickly that this kid is a fucking moron, who has no clue about anything except being a spoiled know it all.

JCOCK, get some balls, please.
Old 04-10-2002 | 04:33 PM
Pro

I'd say I WOT a couple gears maybe once a week and it's usually when merging onto I-95 and some soccermom with her hands up her ass decides to COME TO A COMPLETE STOP ON THE ON-RAMP because she doesn't understand the concept of MERGING so I have to go around her and merge into faster traffic. Love the V-Tec.

I said:

I understand your point & it sounds like the way you drive you wouldn't realize a major benefit.

I'm a real lead foot on the other hand & figure I drive my car at least 5 days a week & the time I spend on the road is where I have a little fun driving my car.

Since the search feature is down I'm not going to hunt for it BUT surely you've seen the dyno numbers EricL has posted for a
CL-S with Comptech headers & then with the AEM too.

Those numbers showed a broader gain across the powerband.

Not as narrow (& conservative?) as Comptech's chart.

I think at 5k & above there was 20-30hp easy & about 5-10 extra HP & torque below 5k. Add the AEM & even better.

Those other headers somone posted a pick of (Protoype ?)
looked like a design that should add more power across the
band with the 6 discreet tubes all the way to the collector.
The Comptech's are really like a "shorty" header.
Old 04-10-2002 | 08:16 PM
Old timer

No, I do WOT once in a while, I just don't do it often enough to warrant my spending extra money ($1100+install) on a mod that is only used that infrequently by me. As I've said in the past, if Comptech headers were more affordable, I'd get them. It's not like I think it's a pointless mod, just in my opinion it's too expensive for the benefit I would get from them. I totally understand other people find them worthwhile even at $1200, and that's cool, it's just too much for me for what I'd get from them.

I know this concept is too difficult to understand if you're a self-described "kid" who runs around mouthing off to other forum members, but I hope you, on the other hand, can understand where I'm coming from.

cnatra - I agree those other headers look promising, but as for EricL's dyno it seems to be a bit of a rarity as no one else seems to pull the same numbers he can. Maybe he got a Wednesday car or whatever the best build day is.
Old 04-10-2002 | 09:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Give it a rest. If you don't want to pony up -- wait long enough and hope.

No, I do WOT once in a while, I just don't do it often enough to warrant my spending extra money ($1100+install) on a mod that is only used that infrequently by me. As I've said in the past, if Comptech headers were more affordable, I'd get them. It's not like I think it's a pointless mod, just in my opinion it's too expensive for the benefit I would get from them. I totally understand other people find them worthwhile even at $1200, and that's cool, it's just too much for me for what I'd get from them.

I know this concept is too difficult to understand if you're a self-described "kid" who runs around mouthing off to other forum members, but I hope you, on the other hand, can understand where I'm coming from.

cnatra - I agree those other headers look promising, but as for EricL's dyno it seems to be a bit of a rarity as no one else seems to pull the same numbers he can. Maybe he got a Wednesday car or whatever the best build day is.

For the nth time:

1. The dyno is of Mike's car NOT mine. I'm starting to wonder if there is a virus going around causing transient ADD.

2. While Mike's dyno seems to be the best dyno with Intake & Headers, there are others that were within striking range (236HP peak vs. 227HP peak and so on).

3. The dyno "splice" that I'm including is from syncivic RES tests and I managed to find stock TLS vs. TLS (with only headers) dyno pics. It does demonstrate that even at high temperatures (meaning lower air density [and less air to shove out of the engine’s exhaust ports]) there are gains that are BETTER than those shown by Comptech.

Finally, who knows why Comptech doesn't show better gains on their NON DynoJet dyno. The fact remains that many dynos (three or more [at a minimum]) have solid torque gains in the 3K and up area (one can quibble with what constitutes an "affordable" gain for the next millennium).

There is an interesting bonus of the headers that I've noticed in my car at "speed" going up grades. The torque converter will unlock to give the car additional acceleration on grades in 3rd gear. The torque converter will move up to the NEW torque peak of 6000 RPM to increase acceleration on grades. (This would seem to be non-logical as everyone assumes that lock-up is preferable to non-lock-up in WOT conditions -- it's not so...)

Finally, the price issue and “you get what you pay for” probably is true in “non-rip” off cases (well informed research is the key to that being true). After having the “fun” of welding my mild steel headers and being laughed at for wanting stainless steel headers 20-years ago, I’m delighted to find something that doesn’t come unglued on a regular basis (Well, it helped get me into welding and I met about every muffler guy in town…)

As to what they are worth to each person, well, that is the stuff of never ending quibbling and debates – I can only say I’m happy with what they do for me…

Spliced/combined dyno pic (and I don’t get any money from Comptech):

Mike’s tarnished and now notorious dyno:
Old 04-10-2002 | 10:09 PM
Old timer

Thanks for your graphs and information, Eric. My bad on saying it was your dyno, I get you and Mike mixed up sometimes.

As for the entire issue of price vs. use being pure individual opinion, I agree and that is my whole point - I don't understand why someone would insist on arguing with me over my opinion on headers and then call me all sorts of names simply because I don't have the same interest in them right now as he does. As I said several times, I'm glad some of you find them a worthwhile investment! I'm sure it does provide enjoyable gains, especially if you drive your car enthusiastically all the time.
Old 04-11-2002 | 12:18 AM
Subie Dubie

That's the truth. I guess he doesn't need vtec either since he rarely gets there !