Rotors: Brembo vs. Rotora

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotors: Brembo vs. Rotora

I know this issue has been done to death, but I'd like to get another round of voting. I need to replace my OEM front rotors, and I think two easy choices are Brembo and Rotora.

Believe it or not, my Acura dealer is buying me these rotors (after replacing damn near everything in an attempt to cure my front shimmy--all under warranty, thankfully).

So. What's the consensus: Brembo, Rotora, or a third option? I'm not going to drive this car hard, and my priority is smooth, quiet braking.

cheers,
--Seth
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 08-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rotoras are just China made blanks that have been slotted. China has the most inconsistent metal, in other words very shitty and cheap! I can't speak for the Brembros cause I've never used them before. But I have not read or heard great things about thier quality control lately.

I just installed a set of EBC rotors GD7087 I think is the number. Work great, I used the yellow stuff pads. I also had the front end shimy, once I put these on, no more shimy at all. Stopping power is unreal! This is my 5th vehicle with EBC and I've never once had a problem!

You in my area, if you wanna check'em out feel free to hit me up! Who are you dealing with at Pikes Peak Acura?
Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
See if they'll spring for Powerslots.
http://http://www.tirerack.com/brake...ar=&perfCode=S

Old 08-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the input!

CH46ESeaKnight: Where did you order your EBC rotors?

To answer your question, I've been working with Mike and Brent (the service manager).

cheers,
--Seth
Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, take a look at DBA rotors.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
Rotoras are just China made blanks that have been slotted. China has the most inconsistent metal, in other words very shitty and cheap!
Where did you find this information from? ROTORA has a few foundries it works with and from what I recall none of them are in China. I've spoken to the President of ROTORA many times and he never said any of the foundries were in China. In fact, I have seen a lot of their slotted discs start with Centric blanks, which is the company that owns STOPTECH and Powerslot. So I don't think your information is correct.

And I would venture to say there are a lot more ROTORA owners on this website than Powerslot owners. The ROTORA rotors are premium OE size performance rotors; in fact in all the rotors I have sold in the past year I haven't had one warranty claim or vibration issue. And I usually only get maybe 1 disc out of 100 if that that have an issue and that most of the time is due to installer error.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Chillin' in my trailer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My brother had Rotoras on his 2000TL. They worked great and didn't warp.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Where did you find this information from? ROTORA has a few foundries it works with and from what I recall none of them are in China. I've spoken to the President of ROTORA many times and he never said any of the foundries were in China. In fact, I have seen a lot of their slotted discs start with Centric blanks, which is the company that owns STOPTECH and Powerslot. So I don't think your information is correct.

And I would venture to say there are a lot more ROTORA owners on this website than Powerslot owners. The ROTORA rotors are premium OE size performance rotors; in fact in all the rotors I have sold in the past year I haven't had one warranty claim or vibration issue. And I usually only get maybe 1 disc out of 100 if that that have an issue and that most of the time is due to installer error.
/

If you trace it back far enough you'll find they are made in China! if I was the president i would not be quick to say they are made in China! Almost 90% of teh rotors made to day are made in China. EBC=UK and now a few are made in Japan, DBA=Austrailia, Some brembros = italy, but not all of them.

Just my personal opion, I would stay away from any China rotors. to many bad experiances.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

/

If you trace it back far enough you'll find they are made in China! if I was the president i would not be quick to say they are made in China! Almost 90% of teh rotors made to day are made in China. EBC=UK and now a few are made in Japan, DBA=Austrailia, Some brembros = italy, but not all of them.

Just my personal opion, I would stay away from any China rotors. to many bad experiances.
Interesting how you back up these theories with evidence. :
Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Former Sponsor

/

I could be wrong but last time I checked anything made in China needs to have made in China stamped on it. However, I have asked before and I am pretty certain they have a foundry in Taiwan. But I will ask again in the meantime. Either way, maybe you should provide evidence before you make assertions based on your opinion.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 AM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Taiwan is a part of China.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by clpassenubye
Old 08-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by clpassenubye
True, Taiwan is governed by China but it doesn't mean it is China and uses the same metal as China.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well, I actually called Rotora several months ago and they told me their blanks were made in China. That’s why I did not order any from you. The blanks that is. If you download Rotoras application guide they talk about how they did "rigorous design, research, development and testing to come up with the most innovative braking system". What the *%$^ ever, they took a cheap blank and drilled it. Cheap blank being Centric, Stoptech,(known as the Brembro knockoff pro’s) or what ever other cheap China made blank they can get their hands on. Same damn thing as the ebay specials from R1 Concepts. Every company I found to be connected to Rotora, Centric, Stoptech, R1 Concepts, SP performance, Racing Brakes all point to China! Funny how not a single one of these companies display where their rotors are made. But if you check on a real quality rotor they are proud to display where their rotors are made.

If you’re going to tell people that Rotora's are not China, or Taiwan blanks then you should find out for sure. Since it sounds like you not sure. You know since you sell them and all.

I've had several cars and truck, some with China made "Performance slotted brakes" and they have always, and I mean ALWAYS let me down. Never would I buy Chinese steel again. Even in normal driving conditions I've had problems with them. Since I started to us "Quality" rotors made other than in China, I have not had to replace one rotor. My EBC rotors outlasted my 98 Tahoe. Over 60K miles and not once did I have to turn them or replace one. I'd bet the EBC rotors are still on my 74 914 that I sold 5 years ago. That car had been to the track several times with the EBC's and never a problem. When I got the 914 it had some slotted knockoffs from China. They did not last through one track day.

Swbowden: Sorry we Jacked your thread! I'll PM you where I got mine from. It's the lowest price you'll find for EBC. Less doe than the Rotora's. I would also look around for DBA 4000 series rotors. I would have got them but they are a bit pricey. Pikes Peak Acura may not want to fork out that much.

If you have Rotora's and they work for you, then great I'm happy for you.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Intermediate

PP Acura did replace my front rotors with Brembos (they paid for them too), but the braking shudder persisted.

After their latest test drive, for obscure reasons, they decided to replace my struts. They're essentially replacing every part on the front end of my car. I'll see Monday if it actually helped.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Intermediate

Braking shudder solved

My braking shimmy is finally gone!!

After springing for new OEM rotors in June and still experiencing the front end shimmy, the problem entered into extended warranty and parts warranty coverage.

Here's what Acura did, all told, at no cost to me:

1.) Repacked my wheel bearings
2.) Replaced two bad motor mounts
3.) Replaced my axles and boots
4.) Bought and installed Brembo rotors
5.) Replaced my struts

And, finally, what actually solved the problem:

6.) Replaced a sticking caliper.

How this problem could be so hard to diagnose still boggles the mind, but I essentially have a new front end. The car drives like new!

And, throughout the entire process, the folks at Pike's Peak Acura never gave up on trying to solve the problem. I am quite impressed by their dedication.

cheers,
--Seth
Colorado Springs
Old 08-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Well, I actually called Rotora several months ago and they told me their blanks were made in China. That’s why I did not order any from you. The blanks that is. If you download Rotoras application guide they talk about how they did "rigorous design, research, development and testing to come up with the most innovative braking system". What the *%$^ ever, they took a cheap blank and drilled it. Cheap blank being Centric, Stoptech,(known as the Brembro knockoff pro’s) or what ever other cheap China made blank they can get their hands on. Same damn thing as the ebay specials from R1 Concepts. Every company I found to be connected to Rotora, Centric, Stoptech, R1 Concepts, SP performance, Racing Brakes all point to China! Funny how not a single one of these companies display where their rotors are made. But if you check on a real quality rotor they are proud to display where their rotors are made.

If you’re going to tell people that Rotora's are not China, or Taiwan blanks then you should find out for sure. Since it sounds like you not sure. You know since you sell them and all.
ROTORA has a number of foundries as I said. For the Acura discs for the 2nd gen TL/CL and 3rd gen TL the blanks are made in Taiwan. I had asked ROTORA before and I remember it not being China but I couldn't remember which foundry it was; I confirmed with ROTORA to find out for certain. But, if you're going to tell ppl ROTORA rotors are made in China you should find out for sure too. That is why I replied.

I just find it odd too that some of best brake manufacturers in the industry, like ROTORA, STOPTECH, etc, have such a long history of success and quality if their rotors are so cheaply made. And that quote about R&D has to do with their Big Brake Kits, thus the term "braking system". There is obviously R&D on all their products but BBK's require more R&D.

If you have Rotora's and they work for you, then great I'm happy for you.
Well yes, this is the point. ROTORA's have worked for thousands if not tens of thousands of Acura members on this board. So I would venture to say that their positive experience is worth just as much as your one bad experience, even though it doesn't seem (from your comments) you have ever even purchased ROTORA's.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Advanced

CH46ESeaKnight - can u pm me where u got those rotors too? i wanna compare prices and product too b4 i slap some rotors and brakes
Old 08-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

ROTORA has a number of foundries as I said. For the Acura discs for the 2nd gen TL/CL and 3rd gen TL the blanks are made in Taiwan. I had asked ROTORA before and I remember it not being China but I couldn't remember which foundry it was; I confirmed with ROTORA to find out for certain. But, if you're going to tell ppl ROTORA rotors are made in China you should find out for sure too. That is why I replied.

I just find it odd too that some of best brake manufacturers in the industry, like ROTORA, STOPTECH, etc, have such a long history of success and quality if their rotors are so cheaply made. And that quote about R&D has to do with their Big Brake Kits, thus the term "braking system". There is obviously R&D on all their products but BBK's require more R&D.

Well yes, this is the point. ROTORA's have worked for thousands if not tens of thousands of Acura members on this board. So I would venture to say that their positive experience is worth just as much as your one bad experience, even though it doesn't seem (from your comments) you have ever even purchased ROTORA's.

I did check with Rotora before I made any comments. They told me China. Maybe he was wrong. I'm not trying to argue with you, but you seem awfully proud of your Taiwanese rotors. And as far as Rotora and Stoptech being "some of best brake manufacturers in the industry" THEY DON"T EVEN MAKE THIER OWN BRAKES!!!!! OUTSOURCE, come on say it with me OOOOOOUTSOURCE! Thanks for the laugh, I almost pissed myself.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sbowden99
My braking shimmy is finally gone!!

After springing for new OEM rotors in June and still experiencing the front end shimmy, the problem entered into extended warranty and parts warranty coverage.

Here's what Acura did, all told, at no cost to me:

1.) Repacked my wheel bearings
2.) Replaced two bad motor mounts
3.) Replaced my axles and boots
4.) Bought and installed Brembo rotors
5.) Replaced my struts

And, finally, what actually solved the problem:

6.) Replaced a sticking caliper.

How this problem could be so hard to diagnose still boggles the mind, but I essentially have a new front end. The car drives like new!

And, throughout the entire process, the folks at Pike's Peak Acura never gave up on trying to solve the problem. I am quite impressed by their dedication.

cheers,
--Seth
Colorado Springs
Wow thats great, Pikes Peak did good work for me too, but kinda dicked me on teh price a little. All in all I'd have to say they are pretty good.

Thats awsome they replaced all that stuff, saved you a fortune.

Ducksterz, PM sent.