Remote Car Starter Compatibility with CL

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Car Starter Compatibility with CL

I found out from my dealer that remote car starters are not recomended for the CL... When I asked why they couldn't give me a direct answer other then "It would mess up the car".. This is a handy feature for those in cold winter climate weather... My concern was how this would affect the security system... It seems that it has its own door locking mechanism too... But if anyone has any knowledge about them or own one please post details.

------------------
'01 3.2CL-S (BLACK <> EBONY) W/ NAVIGAT. KIT
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
~ REAR SPOILER ~ ** ~ ACURA NOSE GUARD BRA ~
~ GOLD EMBLEM KIT + GRILLE ~ ** ~ ROOF VISOR ~
~ MUD GUARDS ~ ** ~ WOOD TRIM KIT ~
~ MAHOGANY SHIFT KNOB~
~ CARGO NET ~ ** ~ WHEEL LOCKS ~
~ 35% METALLIC CHROME TINT (all doors) ~
~ V-1 RADAR DETECTOR W/ REMOTE ~
~ MOTOROLA HANDSFREE PRO-INSTALL PHONE KIT ~
~ ALPINE 350W AMP - W/ 12" XTANT SPEAKER ~

Joey's Mistress
Old 02-27-2001, 02:31 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by j_o_e_y:
I found out from my dealer that remote car starters are not recomended for the CL... When I asked why they couldn't give me a direct answer other then "It would mess up the car".. This is a handy feature for those in cold winter climate weather... My concern was how this would affect the security system... It seems that it has its own door locking mechanism too... But if anyone has any knowledge about them or own one please post details.

</font>
It would mess up the car if let install some who is unpro. I installed my system, and live w/ it 'HAPILLY EVER AFTER.
Check this forum. http://www.acura-cl.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000027.html

If you decide to install it for yourself, let me know, I might get a little present from those guy as referer.

------------------
Black '97 Acura 3.0CL Premium (Leather,WoodTrim,SunRoof Visor,Spoiler,Gold,Fogs)
Old 02-27-2001, 03:50 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by j_o_e_y:

</font>
Your dealer is smoking crack.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Custom AEM CAI
Apexi V-AFC
Old 02-27-2001, 10:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the DEI (Viper/Valet) Remote Start in the Car. The only security hole is that if someone comes in the car with a copied key that is not programmed or is programmed the car will Start. It bypasses the Imobilizer since you have a programmed key in a transponder unit that hooks up to the Remote Start. But really that is no big deal. So if you are going to do this go to the dealer and have a 3rd Programmed Key made. This Key will go in a Transponder Unit that has ring that goes around the Ignition Cylinder. Stya with Big Name Companies. DEI. Crime Stopper they have a 1/4 mile range and rolling-codes.

------------------
2001 CL-S, Navigation, Spoiler, Remote Start
Old 02-27-2001, 02:05 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NJ_CLS_driver:
I have the DEI (Viper/Valet) Remote Start in the Car. The only security hole is that if someone comes in the car with a copied key that is not programmed or is programmed the car will Start. It bypasses the Imobilizer since you have a programmed key in a transponder unit that hooks up to the Remote Start. But really that is no big deal. So if you are going to do this go to the dealer and have a 3rd Programmed Key made. This Key will go in a Transponder Unit that has ring that goes around the Ignition Cylinder. Stya with Big Name Companies. DEI. Crime Stopper they have a 1/4 mile range and rolling-codes.

</font>

Like I tell everyone else, make sure you get an uncut key for the alarm.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Custom AEM CAI
Apexi V-AFC
Old 02-27-2001, 02:55 PM
Instructor

That's really cool stuff to know.. I should say that my biggest and best alarm is still my Insurance Carrier :-).. I'm not even worried if my car gets stolen anymore.. I pay them enough per month to make sure to cover me 100%...I've even taken out insurance on accessories in the car.
..What I was actually wondering was if any of those companies have standalone starters.. Without the alarm system.. If i'd spend money on any alarm, I think I'd go with a LO JACK or something. I think any thief that is daring enough to steal the car rather then steal something in it is probably well knowledged about Alarm defeat mechanisms. And you guys pointed out some loopholes that I'm sure every Booster already has knowledge of.

------------------
'01 3.2CL-S (BLACK &lt;&gt; EBONY) W/ NAVIGAT. KIT
~ REAR SPOILER ~ ** ~ ACURA NOSE GUARD BRA ~
~ GOLD EMBLEM KIT + GRILLE ~ ** ~ ROOF VISOR ~
~ MUD GUARDS ~ ** ~ WOOD TRIM KIT ~
~ MAHOGANY SHIFT KNOB~
~ CARGO NET ~ ** ~ WHEEL LOCKS ~
~ 35% METALLIC CHROME TINT (all doors) ~
~ V-1 RADAR DETECTOR W/ REMOTE ~
~ MOTOROLA HANDSFREE PRO-INSTALL PHONE KIT ~
~ ALPINE 350W AMP - W/ 12" XTANT SPEAKER ~

Joey's Mistress
Old 02-27-2001, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Very true. I want to know also if remote start, solo, will work.

------------------
Hollywood is back, and so is...

Miss "Jackie Black" Black on Black 2001 CLS
Tint | airbox gutted - waiting for AEM CAI| resonator replaced by straightpipe | 12" JL Audio sub
PIAA 19170s | spoiler

14.6185 at 96.09mph 1/4 mile - Take that Car&Driver!!
Old 02-27-2001, 07:48 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hollywood:
Very true. I want to know also if remote start, solo, will work.

</font>
it will work...

------------------
'01 CL Type-S w/ Navigation
Satin Silver/Black Ebony
Old 02-28-2001, 06:32 AM
Instructor

Thanks, but can it possibly work with the stock remote??

------------------
Hollywood is back, and so is...

Miss "Jackie Black" Black on Black 2001 CLS
Tint | airbox gutted - waiting for AEM CAI| resonator replaced by straightpipe | 12" JL Audio sub
PIAA 19170s | spoiler

14.6185 at 96.09mph 1/4 mile - Take that Car&Driver!!
Old 02-28-2001, 12:37 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hollywood:
Thanks, but can it possibly work with the stock remote??

</font>

i'm pretty sure it won't on the same remote key chain. if you can start the car while the stock alarm is armed, i think that there should be no problem with the starter working (on a separate fob) with the factory alarm. if not, you would have to disarm the alarm before auto-starting the car. this may be annoying especially if your remote start sensor range is greater than the factory alarm (30ft???).

------------------
'01 CL Type-S w/ Navigation
Satin Silver/Black Ebony

[This message has been edited by cDucTiVe (edited 02-28-2001).]
Old 02-28-2001, 06:19 PM
Advanced

I was talking to the guys at "Boomer McClouds" (pretty big audio store in CT) and they were telling me that the "alarm" we have in our cars is nothing more than a remote keyless entry and thats it. I'm not sure if it's true, but there is no kill switch or anything that would immobilize the car if it was attempted on being stolen.

I had the Sidewinder 6500 installed on my car and it works great. I let them use the valet key that I would never use for the install job.

I like some of the features it has better than the regular "alarm". One cool thing is that after you put the car in drive it automatically locks the doors. And then when you shut the car off it unlocks the doors.

I also asked the guy about why Acura would tell me that I cant install anything like a remote starter in my car or it would void some of my warranty. He said that it is impossible for anything they install to void any warranty from any automobile.

Next week I am having them install a relay that closes the windows and sunroof once you arm the car. I think that would be a cool feature! The relays are an extra $150 each and I would need 2 of them. The whole alarm cost me $370 installed.

------------------
--------------
2001 CL-S w/ Nav
Blk/Blk
Spoiler - Bra - Mud - Visor

[This message has been edited by alenda26 (edited 02-28-2001).]