Rear brake pads + rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 10:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Rear brake pads + rotors

So just had my tires rotated and they said my rear pads and rotors will need to be replaced soon. I knew the pads were getting down there, but they said my rotors were warped. I know the fronts usually warp, but do the rears warp too? This place has given me the dealership/stealership treatment in the past...

Also I replaced the fronts a couple years ago and they were a piece of cake (minus the rotor screws ) but based off all the CL/TL threads on pad + rotor replacement there seems to be some mix-up on whether the rear pads + rotors go through the same replacement process... Some say the piston on the caliper needs to be rotated as it gets pushed in. Is that true?
Also is rotor replacement the same process? No special tools? Also recall hearing something about that. Can't find the thread now..
Also, any good rotor brands? I have Brembos on the front and they are great. Is it worth getting better rotors for the rears, too?

All stupid questions but I have to ask!
Old 03-09-2022, 09:40 PM
I am dumb

Received 206 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapture
So just had my tires rotated and they said my rear pads and rotors will need to be replaced soon. I knew the pads were getting down there, but they said my rotors were warped. I know the fronts usually warp, but do the rears warp too? This place has given me the dealership/stealership treatment in the past...

Also I replaced the fronts a couple years ago and they were a piece of cake (minus the rotor screws ) but based off all the CL/TL threads on pad + rotor replacement there seems to be some mix-up on whether the rear pads + rotors go through the same replacement process... Some say the piston on the caliper needs to be rotated as it gets pushed in. Is that true?
Also is rotor replacement the same process? No special tools? Also recall hearing something about that. Can't find the thread now..
Also, any good rotor brands? I have Brembos on the front and they are great. Is it worth getting better rotors for the rears, too?

All stupid questions but I have to ask!
Doing the rears is the same as doing the fronts. You're not kidding about those screws though; we had to use a Dremel with a cutting wheel to get them off my girl's car originally. Good thing they aren't needed.
Regarding the piston cup needing to be rotated, I've never heard of having to do that, nor have I done it myself. Don't know why you would need to.
Branding is going to be subjective, but everyone will tell you not to get drilled rotors. I just look up brands online myself to see what experience everyone has with them online.

As for the warping in the back being common & getting better rotors in the back, I have no comment because I don't know.
The following users liked this post:
Rapture (03-09-2022)