Ran a Boxster S on the way to work today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ran a Boxster S on the way to work today!

We were sitting at a redlight, about to make a left onto Fairfax County Parkway. I didn't even notice that it was an S until we made the turn. I noticed the red calipers, and different rims.

The I saw the 'S' after the Boxster lettering.

Anyways, we turned left, and I was right behind him. All of a sudden, he guns it, from ~ a 20mph roll. I was in SS mode, and immediately stomped it too. I stayed GLUED to his bumper.

I saw the tiny spoiler-like thing pop up when we hit 60 or so.

I then got into the right lane, and hit the MEAT of 3rd gear.

At 80MPH I started pulling BIG TIME. At 100MPH, I had passed him/her (never looked over to see). However when I got over in front of this person, I could see them shifting, and trying to stay with me. IN other words, they were definitely still trying to catch up.

We had a good stretch, and I let it all hang, and took it to the top of 3rd gear and kept on pulling.

I let off when I shifted into 4th because I was about to go thru an intersection, and saw traffic in the distance.

So to sum it up, even up until I hit 3rd, then the Boxster S just faded away.

Damn I love 3rd gear in our cars!
Old 03-21-2003, 09:18 AM
Broke youngster :(

I had a similar thing happen to me too, only my friend in the car believes me, shes so light so her weight wasnt a big diff. The girl went around telling Nick beat the boxster S weeeeeeeeeeeeee

btw that spoiler is :phatyo:
Old 03-21-2003, 09:22 AM

It's pretty sad when a car that costs that much can't even take ours....Especially a convertible! I'd hate to see an //M roadster against a boxster S. Talk about MURDA.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The key is that both you of you guys have h/i

nice kill!
Old 03-21-2003, 09:35 AM
What, me drive fast?

huh. I wouldn't have thought that it would be so one sided. Nice kill!
Old 03-21-2003, 10:33 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Great race! I posted a race against a Boxster S about a year ago and many people doubted me. In that race I had only CAI and we ran even until we got to about 80 and he started to slowly pull. I know if I could race him again now that I have headers the results might be different.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:46 AM

Whats up my brotha! Long time now talk.

Yeah, the headers are KEY in taking a boxster. I notice the biggest increase in 3rd gear. right aroun 70-90 especially. I just took off from him.

My shifts were PERFECT too. Couldn't be any better.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
2003 Boxster S's have 258HP and weight 2900 lbs (about 500lbs less then the CLS), so you did good to pull on a car w/ a better power to weight ratio. The 01 Box S had only 250hp and weighs about 2850lbs.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:27 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by TypeSKid
Whats up my brotha! Long time now talk.

Yeah, the headers are KEY in taking a boxster. I notice the biggest increase in 3rd gear. right aroun 70-90 especially. I just took off from him.

My shifts were PERFECT too. Couldn't be any better.
Glad to see you finally made it back to the forum.:P
Old 03-21-2003, 01:15 PM

Its been a loooooooooooooooooong way brotha. A long way that I've come.

life just always gets better, that's what I kept reminding myself.

Power to Weight ratio is definitely better on a boxster. Who knows, it may not have been a new one.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:00 PM
Blown LS6!!

Originally posted by greenmonster
2003 Boxster S's have 258HP and weight 2900 lbs (about 500lbs less then the CLS), so you did good to pull on a car w/ a better power to weight ratio. The 01 Box S had only 250hp and weighs about 2850lbs.
Now I know our auto trannies aren't all that efficient, but maybe the power:weight isn't quite as bad as it seems if the Boxster's tranny isn't great. Besides, I've heard you have to drive pretty well to get the most out of the Boxster. Our auto's are just stomp-n-go.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Racer

Re: Ran a Boxster S on the way to work today!

Hmm.... why was he shifting at 100... wuoldn't he be running out his gear? It's not like he's going to blow through his fourth or fifth...
Old 03-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Seattle Cl-S
Besides, I've heard you have to drive pretty well to get the most out of the Boxster.
Alot of cars are like this. IE: the S2000. It has a VERY narrow powerband. With a good driver that really knows the car, it can't be taken lightly. Put someone in there (like me) that doesnt have a clue about S2000s and it would be a joke at the track.

Good kill.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

It's pretty sad when a car that costs that much can't even take ours....
What is said is this statement.

So a car's cost is equivalent to its ability to accelerate?? Not even close. With that rational a $300k Rolls is sad when it can't out accelerate a CL??

Even if the Boxster S was trying its true ability is not in drag racing.

Had this car been put on a road course, and you trailing, the outcome would have been significantly different. There is more to car than the ability to accelerate.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:24 PM
cmng 2 a lawschool near u

Originally posted by 330RWHP
Alot of cars are like this. IE: the S2000. It has a VERY narrow powerband. With a good driver that really knows the car, it can't be taken lightly. Put someone in there (like me) that doesnt have a clue about S2000s and it would be a joke at the track.

Good kill.
That is correct, it does take some time to learn how to drive a car like this. But one youj do, all those who doubt the power will be watching you pull away.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:26 PM
cmng 2 a lawschool near u

Originally posted by scalbert

So a car's cost is equivalent to its ability to accelerate?? Not even close. With that rational a $300k Rolls is sad when it can't out accelerate a CL??

Had this car been put on a road course, and you trailing, the outcome would have been significantly different. There is more to car than the ability to accelerate.

Yeah what he said

For instace, the ability to do a burnout, scratch through 3rd gear, beat cars twice its price.......wait a sec
Old 03-23-2003, 09:58 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

yeah, but the rolls isn't classified as a sports car either. the boxter IS, and props is due! Don't hate, congradulate!
Old 03-24-2003, 08:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by quikcls
yeah, but the rolls isn't classified as a sports car either. the boxter IS, and props is due! Don't hate, congradulate!
I never hate, just disagree.

The point which is being lost is that the definition of a sports car is not about drag racing; it is a combination of aspects particularly handling dynamics. Which in this area the Boxster is certainly well beyond the capability of an CL-S. Again, take both cars on a road course or auto-x and see which the dominate vehicle would be.

I replied initially due the seemingly lack of comprehension of the intended function of the Boxster.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Pro

The point which is being lost is that the definition of a sports car is not about drag racing; it is a combination of aspects particularly handling dynamics. Which in this area the Boxster is certainly well beyond the capability of an CL-S. Again, take both cars on a road course or auto-x and see which the dominate vehicle would be.

I replied initially due the seemingly lack of comprehension of the intended function of the Boxster.
I agree..."pulled on the BoxterS", I don't doubt but this I gotta see!
Old 03-25-2003, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by AC
I agree..."pulled on the BoxterS", I don't doubt but this I gotta see!

Find someone who has one, and PM me. We can meet up wherever & whenever.

I'm in Fairfax.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:52 PM

Correct on the road course remarks. However, a car that is as pricey as a Boxster S needs more under the hood.

More people who street race are more apt to do it on a wide open road. Good straightaways.

A boxster S is a total ripoff for what it is.

For that much money, look at what else you can get that will both outhandle, and DEFINITELY outrun it.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Boxster S needs more under the hood.
Don't you mean trunk, or mid-frame...
Old 03-25-2003, 03:50 PM

Don't you mean trunk, or mid-frame...

ooops.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great looking car, and it is a porsche, although a poor man's porsche.

Great handling, yet, it needs more power for that kindof price.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Pro

Find someone who has one, and PM me. We can meet up wherever & whenever.

I'm in Fairfax.
Don't know anyone that has a BosterS...mainly cuz most of my buddies that could afford the BoxterS would probably buy something else for the money...ie used E55 or M5.

If I wasn't selling my 540 tomorrow, I'd do a friendly run but lately cops have been all over our county.

You and Joe ever run each other? I'd actually pay to see that
Old 03-26-2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by AC
Don't know anyone that has a BosterS...mainly cuz most of my buddies that could afford the BoxterS would probably buy something else for the money...ie used E55 or M5.

If I wasn't selling my 540 tomorrow, I'd do a friendly run but lately cops have been all over our county.

You and Joe ever run each other? I'd actually pay to see that

Me and Joe goofed around one night, but that was before my headers.

And when I had my stock tires.

I think I'm one of the lucky one's who got a fast CL like Joe.

E55's are totally badass. What are you selling the 540 for?
Old 04-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by nvpscore

I had a similar thing happen to me too, only my friend in the car believes me, shes so light so her weight wasnt a big diff. The girl went around telling Nick beat the boxster S weeeeeeeeeeeeee

btw that spoiler is :phatyo:
Off Subject but how do you like your UR Pullies?
Old 04-09-2003, 08:09 PM

It's pretty sad when a car that costs that much can't even take ours....Especially a convertible! I'd hate to see an //M roadster against a boxster S. Talk about MURDA
HP ain't everything. The Boxster to many is the best handling car on the planet. The Boxster is NOT MEANT to be an acceleration champ. It's to provide more power for those willing to pay for it.

If you want a Porsche acceleration champ, you can choose a GT-2, new GT-3, 911 TT.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great looking car, and it is a porsche, although a poor man's porsche
C'mon? The Boxster is so good, people question 911 purchases, especially the convertible.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:10 AM

The Boxster is a weak setup. It's done specifically for cost savings, and to provide those with 'not so thick' wallets to be able to own a porsche.

The price difference between a GT2-3, 911TT, or another porsche is a substantial jump.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:58 AM
Pro

Me and Joe goofed around one night, but that was before my headers.

And when I had my stock tires.

I think I'm one of the lucky one's who got a fast CL like Joe.

E55's are totally badass. What are you selling the 540 for?
I sold my 540 about 3 weeks ago and bought a Lexus LX470...how dissapointing this was. Gave the truck to my wife. I now drive the Audi A6 which I'm trying to sell and get into the E55. I bought the truck cuz we have a baby and thought I be a good husband by not buying a sport sedan so much for that.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:25 PM

The price difference between a GT2-3, 911TT, or another porsche is a substantial jump
Since you know nothing, let me educate you. Yes, the Boxster and 911 share many parts, the interior comes to mind. But while you can get an amazing car, the Boxster S for 55k, only 10 more than the standard Boxster, the 911 is kinda funny.

It starts at about 66k. The Convertibles and Carrera 4 are about 75k. The 4WS (turbobody) is about 90k. The new GT3 is $99,900 dollars. For that amount, you get the most powerful non-turboed car in their history, but no sunroof etc etc.

For 120k, you get the AWD, techno laden Turbo for an extra 10k you can get the X-50 package for 450hp.

For I think 492hp and $225k, you lose AWD and all the gadgets and most confort features for a lighter car, slightly faster car.

So, who is the idiot? The guy who can get a lot of the Porscheness for 55k or the guy that spent 225k for a car that shares parts with the Boxster?
The Boxster is a weak setup. It's done specifically for cost savings, and to provide those with 'not so thick' wallets to be able to own a porsche
The Boxster is an amazing driving car. Besides, I guess that is what the RSX or TSX are, no? I think you need a Mustang Cobra or something since you like acceleration.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:50 PM
Honda Technician

i duno what u drive but unless it's a 75,000 integra ur lying, i own a type S and ive trashed alot more than a CL