Radar jammer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 10:24 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar jammer?

yeah well im talkin to my dad about the V1 (which i did not know but he has had 2 of them and returned both. he says it went off extraneously too much) and he says some guys on the bimmer forum are talkin about a radar jammer that they use when they cant react to the V1 in time or whatever. so i was wondering if there is a brand of radar jammer that is consistent and quality. i never hear you all talkin about them ever really, im just curious if this would be a sound investment to couple with the V1. thanks.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:32 PM
Team Owner

From what I understand they don’t work.
All they do is pollute the airwaves and send false signals to all the detector equipped cars within MILES.
Car & Driver did a test a while back and basically said they are a JOKE.

Shawn S

PS…….Was your dad aware of the different sensitivity “modes” of the V1? I’m guessing NOT.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:35 PM
Race Director

You may want to consider this in your jammer research. Jamming police radar is illegal.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:36 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

i have no clue. he got them when they first came out appurently, on his Vette and SL. so basically its a piece of shit? ill ask him if he can find where they were talkin about this cause if there is one out there that is at all good it would be cool to have around just in case.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:53 AM
Banned

Re: Radar jammer?

Originally posted by ItalianStallion
and he says some guys on the bimmer forum are talkin about a radar jammer that they use when they cant react to the V1 in time or whatever
Well then someone over there is talking out of their a$$ for the following reasons:

1. As Shawn S pointed out, 99% of all supposed radar "jammers" on the marketplace are absolute crap. They generate a small amount of white noise that, at best, annoys nearby dogs. If you wiped your a$$ with it you would instantly double its value. Car & Driver did a very thorough test on these a while back and came to the same conclusion.

2. As kensteele pointed out, radar jammers are highly illegal. It's an FCC violation (and a major one at that). The jammers that actually do work are expensive and elaborate set-ups and cost $$$$ (read: $1000+).

3. And here's where the story falls apart: If they don't have time to react to the V1, then they certainly wouldn't have time to "activate" a jammer from within the car. And the jammer would certainly have to be off under normal circumstances because if it was left on the V1 would be sounding full tilt constantly!! You can have either a jammer or a V1, but not both.

Consider 99% of all jammer stories you read to be highly suspect
Old 07-22-2002, 02:56 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was one radar jammer that I saw that actaully worked!!! It was in car and driver or one of those types of mags a while back. It was in a car called the STEALTH VETTE!!! It was this all black vette that had more electronics in it than I have at my house!!!!!
It had a TRUE radar jammer in it!!! Military type!!!! I remember them showing a radar gun aimed at it and it could not give a reading!!!

After all was said and done, with all the money he spent on the electronics, he could have paid of like 100 tickets!!!!
Old 07-22-2002, 05:00 AM
Banned

ItalianStallion:
Although they're totally illegal...they do work. How do I know? The computer in my sig is running one using LabView, a DAQ card, and a few other things. Can't speak for the brand names but the concept is a go

Austin519
Old 07-22-2002, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by AztecRol
There was one radar jammer that I saw that actaully worked!!! It was in car and driver or one of those types of mags a while back. It was in a car called the STEALTH VETTE!!! It was this all black vette that had more electronics in it than I have at my house!!!!!
It had a TRUE radar jammer in it!!! Military type!!!! I remember them showing a radar gun aimed at it and it could not give a reading!!!

After all was said and done, with all the money he spent on the electronics, he could have paid of like 100 tickets!!!!
LOL.... I totally remember that car. I actually saw a thing on it on TV. Like you said, the car was totally black. It was a late 80's early 90's Black Vette. Black car, black rims, black tinted windows, no chrome or anything. Even the license plate said STEALTH!! That car was sweet. I do remember all of the electronics in it too... it looked like a server room rack!! LOL....

But like these guys said they are pretty much crap. Unless you have a grand or more to spend on this you'll be screwed.....
Old 07-22-2002, 12:17 PM
Suzuka Master

i thought the v1 was advertized as in having a jammer in it to jam the radar gun's signal so you can have time to react. Am I correct here?
Old 07-22-2002, 12:26 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Chinisimo
i thought the v1 was advertized as in having a jammer in it to jam the radar gun's signal so you can have time to react. Am I correct here?
No....you are NOT. :shakehd: :shakehd: :shakehd:

Shawn S
Old 07-22-2002, 03:28 PM
Red X

what if we had body panels like the underside of a b-52??? the underside has many different angles so when radar does hit it, the radar doesn't go back the same way, it goes off in a different direction. that's how it's stealth.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:41 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Chinisimo
Must be the new upgrade
Old 07-22-2002, 03:50 PM
MP Video Extraordinaire

To properly jam police radar you need to "blind" it. That is to saturate the transmitter circuit with enough energy that its onboard processor determines the situation hopeless and stops registering speed. To do this, you need what amounts to your own police radar gun. Civilians can own such implements with the proper FCC license - my nephew's baseball team has an older police radar gun.

Now, using a properly licensed police radar gun to blind a cop running radar will get you a few things:
1. A nasty ticket for interfering with an officer of the law in the performance of his duties. You can get one of these for flashing your lights at oncoming motorists to warn of a radar trap, but this is harder to prove, and you may not get #2.
2. An ass beating from the cop that pulled you over.
3. Your properly licensed police radar gun gets donated to the local constibularies.
4. Those same constibularies refer your case to the FCC (Feds) for further reaming.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:56 PM
Pro

I once thought about getting one. I did a few searches and found a lot of info. I coould not find a single good review, on any of them. A few even claimed that radar was able to pick the car up sooner, from a further distance, with the jammer on rather than off. Do a few searches. There are a lot of reviews.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Chrisbert
To properly jam police radar you need to "blind" it. That is to saturate the transmitter circuit with enough energy that its onboard processor determines the situation hopeless and stops registering speed. To do this, you need what amounts to your own police radar gun. Civilians can own such implements with the proper FCC license - my nephew's baseball team has an older police radar gun.

Chrisbert, you're only half right. Yes, to properly jam police radar you need to blind the unit. However, using a police radar gun, in 99.9% of the cases will not jam another police radar gun. Although they are assigned a frequency to operate in (K band is 24.150 GHz), each unit will differ by a few hertz one way or another. Two cruisers approaching each other with working K-band radar units will almost always get a speed reading on each other.

The key to jamming is RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) as well as EMI (Electromagnetic Interference). Most police radar units are designed to work in the most optimum of environments so that external interference can never be a possible reason for a displayed speed. In other words, the guns are designed in the motorists favor--if they detect an unusual concentration of EMI or RFI in the immediate area, they will either "blank" or display something to indicate interference (some show "Jam" on the display, some show "RFI" and some just go blank).

Radar guns put out a very low amount of power (about 1/10 of the power put out by the average digital cell phone). That's why another gun is ineffective at jamming. First, it's a very low amount of radio energy and second, it's transmitting in a range the gun is designed to receive. When an officer transmits on his/her cruiser radio, that puts out an average of 25W of power, about 100-500 times the power of a radar unit and will almost always cause a jam reading in close proximity to a radar unit. Cell phones can also cause this, although they are not as strong. Quality radar jammers transmit a barrage of frequencies at a relatively strong power (100W+) to absolutely overwhelm the discrete circuitry in a radar gun. Considering you need to be protected from a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile away, you need a serious amount of power to blank the gun from a distance. Military radar jammers broadcast several hundred thousand watts....

I have seen one-off radar jammers work (and work well) in person. However, this is high-tech and very expensive stuff. Just like any other mod for your car, if you're willing to pay enough $$$$ you can get just about anything.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:07 PM
Team Owner

I’m all for breaking the laws like the rest of you guys, but some do have their place.
Considering that I work about a half mile from an international AIRPORT I think a 1000-Watt Radar generator just might be a BAD idea for my next MOD.

I don’t think I want a 747 mistaking my CL for the outer marker of the main runway.

Shawn S
Old 07-22-2002, 11:08 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

Originally posted by Shawn S
I’m all for breaking the laws like the rest of you guys, but some do have their place.
Considering that I work about a half mile from an international AIRPORT I think a 1000-Watt Radar generator just might be a BAD idea for my next MOD.

I don’t think I want a 747 mistaking my CL for the outer marker of the main runway.

Shawn S
good point