Racing Fuel Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 03:20 PM
Learn to swim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racing Fuel Questions

Ok I found a local 76 that sells racing fuel.
I can't wait to try it. I heard most new cars have a sensor in the exhaust. This sensor tells if the car is running too rich/lean, and adjusts accordingly. Racing fuel will screw this sensor up. Is this true? Any info would be appreciated..

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Tan
Comptech Springs, V1
Old 03-13-2001, 03:25 PM
Drifting

Putting in any fuel with a higher octane rating than what the engine needs is useless. You should be using the octane the engine requires to prevent detonation and that is all. If you use a lower ocatane the system will try to compensate (retard timing) for it..

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
red CL-S, non-Nav
Old 03-13-2001, 03:30 PM
Learn to swim

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by empeters:
Putting in any fuel with a higher octane rating than what the engine needs is useless. You should be using the octane the engine requires to prevent detonation and that is all. If you use a lower ocatane the system will try to compensate (retard timing) for it..

</font>
All I have found about the S is a minimum Octane of 92. Which is what I use. Is there a max? The racing fuel is higher than 92. 103 I think.....

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Tan
Comptech Springs, V1
Old 03-13-2001, 03:35 PM
on bin laden

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tuleman:
All I have found about the S is a minimum Octane of 92. Which is what I use. Is there a max? The racing fuel is higher than 92. 103 I think.....

</font>
The minimum is actually 91, but I am not sure of the benefits of racing fuel, I have heard both ways...

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19169 Road Lamps
*Acura Winter Mats
*Mudguards
*Mobile 1 Synthetic
*Rockford 500a2
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2)
---Still 2 rims not scratched---
Old 03-13-2001, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried the 100 octane 3 times in various mixes. 1 time was virtually pure 100 octane (had very low gas gauge reading).

1. I was driving pretty fast in the hills, so my gas mileage stunk.

2. The car would light the front tires with total VSA off, regular gas with the Toyos will not break them loose as long.

We had so many days of rain coming and going, I couldn't find a safe place to GTECH that was worth it...

Try it and add some more data. The knock sensors only move a few degrees (when required) so its not like a supercharger.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • 14.8lb 17x8" SSR Competition rims on the way
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon
Old 03-13-2001, 06:49 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
i don't believe people who say 100+ doesn't do nothing to a stock car. Maybe a lil geo metro or SOHC vtec civic. But w/ the compression the CLS has, it definately will make a difference
Old 03-13-2001, 07:02 PM
Racer

Hey tuleman spill the location and let the local boys have some fun too1

------------------
CoMpTeCh HeAdErS
eIbAcH sPrInGs
AeM cAi
Old 03-13-2001, 07:03 PM
Advanced

important if using n2o, because its primary benefit is to control detonation.

------------------
type-s
silver/ebony
35% tint
jl audio 2 10w3's, jl audio 500/1 amp
honda vtx 1800
106hp & 120 ft torque. soon!!!
Old 03-13-2001, 07:06 PM
Drifting

Read my lips.. If you buy more octane than the engine needs you are wasting money. "You" can believe it or not, but please don't try to imply to someone else that more octane will improve an engines performance.

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
red CL-S, non-Nav
Old 03-13-2001, 07:15 PM
Learn to swim

76 on the corner of Almaden and Foxworthy.
For the rest of you interested. I went to 76.com and did a search for racing fuel.

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Tan
Comptech Springs, V1
Old 03-13-2001, 07:16 PM
Learn to swim

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLpower:
i don't believe people who say 100+ doesn't do nothing to a stock car. Maybe a lil geo metro or SOHC vtec civic. But w/ the compression the CLS has, it definately will make a difference</font>
I agree.. They must sell it at race tracks for a reason.....
I am just concerned about screwing something up.

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Tan
Comptech Springs, V1
Old 03-13-2001, 07:25 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Read my lips.. If you buy more octane than the engine needs you are wasting money. "You" can believe it or not, but please don't try to imply to someone else that more octane will improve an engines performance.

</font>
READ MY LIPS, HIGH COMPRESSION AND/OR FORCED INDUCED MOTORS WILL BENEFIT FROM HIGHER OCTANE FUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2001, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

</font>
That is the whole point. What does the engine need to make max power. I don't think Acura would sell many cars if they said it required 96 octane. People would say, "where can I get this gas..."

Depending on air temp and other conditions, these new engines (like ours) with rather high compression can get a little bit help if the knock sensors don't kick in.

I have not done a dyno. However, I have tried 3 different trials with/without the 100 added, and in the 2 times that I added 1/2 tank (or more) of it to my regular 92 octane Shell, I could see/feel different amounts of wheelspin without VSA. I even had my wife in the car for one before/after test (I guess we are both suffering from brain damage). Sorry, I didn't get a dyno and a referee to "guarantee" the results.

Maybe someone will go try this at the track. If I do a GTECH, I'll just get all of the GTECH bashing.

(yep, just my opinion)

------------------
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 03-13-2001).]
Old 03-13-2001, 07:32 PM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
That is the whole point. What does the engine need to make max power. I don't think Acura would sell many cars if they said it required 96 octane. People would go, where can I get this stuff. Depending on air temp and other conditions, these new engines (like ours) with rather high compression can get a little bit help if the knock sensors don't kick in.

I have not done a dyno, but I have tried 3 different trials with/without the 100 added, and in the 2 times that I added 1/2 tank (or more) to my regular 92 octane Shell, I could see different amounts of wheelspin without VSA. Even had my wife in the car for one before/after test (I guess we are both suffering from brain damage). Sorry, I didn't get a dyno and a referee to "guarantee" the results.

Maybe someone will go try at the track, since if do a GTECH, I'll just get all of the GTECH bashing.

(yep, just my opinion)

</font>
already have...went to pomona one day it was about 82 degrees ran a 16.1....went another day it was about 64 degrees and ran a 15.679

but you have to factor in the temp, and a few other things...so i don't claim it was the gas cause it could of been a fluke. Or all things combined
Old 03-13-2001, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

already have...went to pomona one day it was about 82 degrees ran a 16.1....went another day it was about 64 degrees and ran a 15.679

but you have to factor in the temp, and a few other things...so i don't claim it was the gas cause it could of been a fluke. Or all things combined
</font>
Sounds like someone is going to have to bring a 5-gallon can of rocket fuel to one of the drag meets and do a before/after.

Are there any strips around SoCal that aren't so busy that it would be possible to do a few runs without waiting all night?

------------------
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-13-2001, 07:47 PM
6 speed...

READ MY LIPS, HIGH COMPRESSION AND/OR FORCED INDUCED MOTORS WILL BENEFIT FROM HIGHER OCTANE FUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!

</font>
only if the high compression and/or forced-induction engines are run under conditions leading to pre-detonation.

if the engine can run safely at 10.0 to 1 on 92 octane pump gas, adding 104 octane race fuel (with no other modifications) isn't going to improve the power output. if that same engine experiences ingition retardation due to pre-detonation then some improvement is likely.

the octane rating of gasoline is simply a measure of its resistance to pre-detonation. a fuel with a higher octane (or lower cetane) rating will generally produce less energy when burned than a fuel with a lower octane (or higher cetane), all things being equal. in theory, anyway, using too high an octane rating can hurt power output.

on the other paw, diesel fuel has a relatively high cetane rating (lower octane) versus gasoline due to the need for ignition on compression ("controlled" pre-detonation, in other words) rather than a spark source.
Old 03-13-2001, 07:52 PM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Sounds like someone is going to have to bring a 5-gallon can of rocket fuel to one of the drag meets and do a before/after.

Are there any strips around SoCal that aren't so busy that it would be possible to do a few runs without waiting all night?

</font>
thats what i do when i go to the street races, fill up the 5 gallon drum, it makes the n20 hit stronger

Old 03-13-2001, 07:53 PM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tankmonkey:
only if the high compression and/or forced-induction engines are run under conditions leading to pre-detonation.

</font>
okay, so lets use this as an example. My buddy has a toyota supra. On 92 he runs XX HP. then when he put in 100 he had a marginal gain in HP. Then when he ran 108 he had an even greater gain in HP. Was this just a fluke? or was it the gas?
Old 03-13-2001, 08:03 PM
6 speed...

okay, so lets use this as an example. My buddy has a toyota supra. On 92 he runs XX HP. then when he put in 100 he had a marginal gain in HP. Then when he ran 108 he had an even greater gain in HP. Was this just a fluke? or was it the gas?</font>
in theory, anyway, it shouldn't have made a difference unless he was pinging or made adjustments to timing, compression, etc. between the runs.

I wasn't there for the runs, so I can't say what lead to the improvements in power output, but the sae papers I've read on the matter hold with the theory. however, like you, I've seen empirical evidence that would seem to suggest the opposite, but this was not necessarily under controlled conditions.

an interesting side note is that cars frequently run better (i.e. smoother) on the higher grade stuff, but researchers attributed that more to higher quality gasoline (better detergents and additives package) "cleaning" the fuel system than to the effect of the octane.

Old 03-14-2001, 12:45 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the original question was regarding the fuel's effect on the cars oxygen sensors.And in this regard as long as the fuel is unleaded there should be no ill effects.However there are places that still sell leaded racing fuel.DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE PUT LEADED FUEL IN AN ACURA DOING SO CAN CAUSE IRREPARABLE DAMAGE TO YOU CAR'S EMISSION CONTROL EQUIPMENT!!!!!ok having said that now we return to our regularly scheduled debate over the merits of racing fuel in street driven cars.By the way using fuel that has an octane rating less than what the manufacturer of the car in question calls for can potentially decrease the cars ability to make power. Since the cars ignition system can operate with the timing partially retarded to prevent harmful detonation power will be reduced.Since racing fuel has a very high octane number you can run the car at it's full ignition advance but since it is computer controlled do not expect to make more power just because you are running race gas.In the end it depends on the fuel if it has additives that make it burn hotter then you may make more power but I would let a dyno make the decision.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 03-14-2001, 04:13 AM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

racing fuel WILL make a difference. i have had experience with 100 octane fuel and it made a difference whether the car was stock or modified. however, since the computer does have a big effect on how the car performs, the power will not be of a great increase. from what i have seen at street races, the racing fuel does make more power. also, the car shouldn't have a problem with it. Don't use it often though, cause not all racing fuels will take care of your engine needs.
Old 03-14-2001, 04:17 AM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

another reason i believe racing fuel works is that i had a friend who developed a racing fuel, which had more additives than normal racing fuel. He said that his new turbo volvo was performing alot better and when he got his smog check, he passed with outrageous numbers. HOWEVER, his advice to me was not to use racing fuel, unless it was his of course, because it will cause damage later on. His version of the fuel might cause damage too, but its too early to know that.
Old 03-14-2001, 04:32 AM
Pro

okay, so lets use this as an example. My buddy has a toyota supra. On 92 he runs XX HP. then when he put in 100 he had a marginal gain in HP. Then when he ran 108 he had an even greater gain in HP. Was this just a fluke? or was it the gas?</font>
same situation here my boy has a stock 96-97 supra all he has is a greddy boost controller on sunday on 110 octane he ran a 12.0 but then melted his clutch on the next run , if you dont beleive me ask fastvtecl he was there

------------------
2001 acura cl type-s
comming soon
2000 accord v6 sedan
1997 4runner
1992 camaro
1993 volvo 850
"Tell me kid, have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light"
Old 03-14-2001, 01:02 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts
I use race gas in my 4 wheelers and on my buddies dirt bike..it makes a HUGE difference in performance, not to mention how much better it smells while burning...

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, goodridge braided brake lines, full kicker system
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks
Old 03-14-2001, 01:18 PM
Learn to swim

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jens Heydel:
I think the original question was regarding the fuel's effect on the cars oxygen sensors.And in this regard as long as the fuel is unleaded there should be no ill effects.However there are places that still sell leaded racing fuel.DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE PUT LEADED FUEL IN AN ACURA DOING SO CAN CAUSE IRREPARABLE DAMAGE TO YOU CAR'S EMISSION CONTROL EQUIPMENT!!!!!ok having said that now we return to our regularly scheduled debate over the merits of racing fuel in street driven cars.By the way using fuel that has an octane rating less than what the manufacturer of the car in question calls for can potentially decrease the cars ability to make power. Since the cars ignition system can operate with the timing partially retarded to prevent harmful detonation power will be reduced.Since racing fuel has a very high octane number you can run the car at it's full ignition advance but since it is computer controlled do not expect to make more power just because you are running race gas.In the end it depends on the fuel if it has additives that make it burn hotter then you may make more power but I would let a dyno make the decision.Jens

</font>

Thank You Jens..... Again you are the man..
That's all I wanted to know.

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Tan
Comptech Springs, V1
Old 03-14-2001, 01:20 PM
Learn to swim

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by power3dfx:
racing fuel WILL make a difference. i have had experience with 100 octane fuel and it made a difference whether the car was stock or modified. however, since the computer does have a big effect on how the car performs, the power will not be of a great increase. from what i have seen at street races, the racing fuel does make more power. also, the car shouldn't have a problem with it. Don't use it often though, cause not all racing fuels will take care of your engine needs. </font>
I don't plan on using it very often... maybe twice a year. It is also pretty expensive.
Thank for the input.

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Tan
Comptech Springs, V1