Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 11:29 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Racing Blamed in Crash that Killed Teen Girl

http://www.whdh.com/news/local3.shtml
Thursday, July 5, 2001

Racing Blamed in Crash that Killed Teen Girl

HAVERHILL, Mass. -- A teen-age girl is dead after a crash on Interstate 495 in Haverhill, and the drivers of two cars she was allegedly racing face vehicular homicide charges, state police said.
Witnesses told police three vehicles were racing when the accident occurred at about 5:40 p.m. in the northbound lanes of I-495, state police Sgt. Ronald Sieberg said.

Savoeun Chea, 17, of Lowell was ejected when the vehicle she was in lost control, rolled over in the median, and ended up in the southbound lanes, police said. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police are still investigating whether she was driving. Three other people in the vehicle were hospitalized. One man was taken to Holy Name Hospital in Methuen where he was listed an critical condition. A man and a women were taken to Lawrence General Hospital with non-life threatening injuries, Sieberg said.

The drivers of the other two vehicles were arrested later in the evening in Newbury. Siden Sok, 18, and Andy Khin, 19, both of Lowell, were charged with motor vehicle homicide, leaving the scene of an accident and operating to endanger, Sieberg said.

They both made bail and will be arraigned in Haverhill District Court on Thursday. (AP)
Old 07-05-2001, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Not a race, but still reckless driving...
http://www.whdh.com/news/local2.shtml
Old 07-05-2001, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's brilliant. Driving at excessive speed on a temporary spare. Is today's youth more stupid then when I was young or just fearless? I mean I goofed around when I got my license and first car but nothing like the crap I see posted on the forums. Scary - very scary.
Old 07-05-2001, 02:11 PM
10th Gear

damn, dunno what's worse....that some stupid azz teen was racing, or that some stupid azz teen was excessively overspeeding in a spare.

And I wonder why insurance for the under 25 age group is so expensive.
Old 07-06-2001, 02:34 AM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

I think the DRIVER of the car that people got killed in should be charged with vehicle manslaughter, but do not charge the people in the other car with homicide unless they swerved into her lane or something. Geez, give me a break!

There is a BIG difference b/w manslaughter and homicide. Homicide normally means intent to kill, manslaughter indicates it was an accident that resulted in someones life. I'm not an expert on law but that's the way I've always understood it.
Old 07-06-2001, 05:11 AM
Racer

Yeah I agree with you wholeheartedly BNut. How can you blame the other drivers not involved in an accident for another's stupidity. The driver CHOSE to get involved in a high speed race, it wasn't forced upon him/her. Now if you hit somebody else while you are in the act, that is a completely different story.

Whats even more fucked up, I am pretty sure drunk drivers who hit and kill innocent people are still only charged with manslaughter!!
Old 07-07-2001, 01:14 AM
Racer

Inexperienced and racing do not go together.
Old 07-07-2001, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

I want to get the analogy straight on the "homicide" vs. "manslaughter" thing.

So if someone I didn't know really well but was hanging with shot and killed a bank guard during a robbery he should be charged with murder. Even though I was standing next to him, had a gun also, and knew he was robbing the bank I should receive a lesser charge? That's what you're saying.

First, people shouldn't race on the street. Second, if people are going to race on the street they should be prepared for the consequences. The drivers of both cars are equally guilty. You're sort of saying that the second driver should be rewarded since he didn't crash - even though his actions contributed to a crash that killed people.

Any judge (or jury) is going the throw the book at someone in a case like this so I wouldn't be too concerned about the fairness of one charge over the other. The end result is going to be jail time and ruined lives.