Raced a WRX, no problem! (sort of ??)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raced a WRX, no problem! (sort of ??)

OK. The other night on the way home a car scooted in front of me right as i was turning on to an old country road. I know the road well and it starts off very curvy and eventually gets long and straight. There are only two places to pass on the whole road and one is right after the beginning curves. I noticed the WRX badge right as the car pulled in front of me. immediately after the turns i cought him off guard and hit it. I passed him very, very hard. Both of us knowing the WRX is faster 0-60, i think the guy took it personally. He didnt persue immediately but didnt notice about a 1/2 mile down the road he was starting to catch up. I knew he was going to try and pass me on the second pass zone (to show me whats up). I was tooling about 65 and wasnt going to hit it till after i saw him go. Of course he pulls into the on-coming lane as the pass zone came up. He was probebly 60 feet behind me when he hit it and at first i thought he was going to smoke me because he got close quick. He got with in 5-10 feet of my bumper and that was all she wrote. After i hit it too he didnt get any closer and over the next 4 seconds I pulled a few feet away. By the end i was going about 110-115. I had no idea!!! I thought a WRX was signifigantly faster. Maybe just 0-60.

Does this sound right? Was the other guy not maxing out?? I only have HKS, and comptech air filter.
Old 02-11-2002, 05:44 PM
STi

Dont let him caught you on a stoplight race those AWD system stick like fly paper on a tarmac huge advantage for the WRX... I think if you guys do a roll start you can take him... That's why the WRX had quick 0-60 because of the AWD system...
Old 02-11-2002, 05:47 PM
Drifting

Do you really expect people to respond? I think you're both nuts! Thankfully no crash, and no innocent victims.
YMMV
Old 02-11-2002, 05:53 PM
Racer

The reason he pulled up on you was he was probably in 3rd, he rode it through to the redline, but when he shifted into 4th unless he had it at like 4800rpms he wouldn't have any power, THEY HAVE HORRIBLE TURBO-LAG!!! AWD makes it faster 0-60 because they can basically drop the clucth at 5500rpms and not even peel out(small sqeak from the tire), that way they shoot through their powerband. Thus 0-60 in 5.5 or whatever.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:12 PM
Scooby Guru

Yeah, I've been in the wrong gear in my WRX and a Ford Van pulled on me.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Ultimac
unless he had it at like 4800rpms he wouldn't have any power, THEY HAVE HORRIBLE TURBO-LAG!!!
Just to be correct here, if the car was reved there is no such thing as turbo lag. There is throttle response and boost threshold, but if he is above the RPM boost threshold there the only issue is throttle response (which all cars have).

Those cars have a threshold below 3k revs which simply is the point at which there is enough exhaust energy to spin the turbine/compressor fast enough to create boost. So unless he was low in the revs the car was able to make boost and make it quickly.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:21 PM
Racer

Yeah like I said Horrible Turbo-lag
Old 02-12-2002, 10:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Ultimac
The reason he pulled up on you was he was probably in 3rd, he rode it through to the redline, but when he shifted into 4th unless he had it at like 4800rpms he wouldn't have any power, THEY HAVE HORRIBLE TURBO-LAG!!! AWD makes it faster 0-60 because they can basically drop the clucth at 5500rpms and not even peel out(small sqeak from the tire), that way they shoot through their powerband. Thus 0-60 in 5.5 or whatever.
That's right. THe WRX's gas pedal is like an ON/OFF switch. Drivability is not the car's strong point. I raced one from 75mph to 110mph all in 3rd and it was a wash, give or take a foot.

I used to own a 96 Talon AWD TSi and it was the same way. Either all out or a sleeper. It gets old after a while. Yet when that torque hit hard at 3000rpm, there is nothing that makes you feel like that in the CLS or any other car I have driven.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:56 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay then someone explain it's 13.9-ish* quarter mile time - a full second faster than the CL-S.

*Or is it 13.4? I couldn't remember.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:43 PM
Certified Lurker

Originally posted by CO-CL-S
Do you really expect people to respond? I think you're both nuts! Thankfully no crash, and no innocent victims.
YMMV
Old 02-12-2002, 02:15 PM
Scooby Guru

The WRX has lots & lots of traction in any conditions. It doesn't weigh too much and it has a lot of torque. However, the AWD does have a lot of friction and the car has relatively low hp levels compared to the CLS.

So, when racing from a standing start to 1/4 mi, a properly driven WRX will win. But when racing down the highway, the CLS should win. If there are any turns or if the road is wet, snowy, or icy, the WRX will win. (Sorry, had to throw that in).
Old 02-12-2002, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JRock
Okay then someone explain it's 13.9-ish* quarter mile time - a full second faster than the CL-S.

*Or is it 13.4? I couldn't remember.

The CLS has higher HP, so HP to aero-resistance will help the CLS at the higher speeds. Check out the top speed performance of a Police Caprice with a modified Corvette engine -- ok in the 1/4 mile, but the top end is better than most people suspect!

The CLS is in pretty bad shape getting off the line; it makes-up the time once it gets going. The weight transfer issues of FWD make the 60ft times look pretty bad. Look at the WRX 60ft times and you will see that it just digs in and goes. (Same thing happens with the BMW 330ci vs. the ix -- the AWD model has a great 0..60, etc due to the 4-wheels clawing it off the line. The ix had more parasitic loss (due to the 4-wheel drive), but the great off-the-line performance makes up for the drive train losses...

So, at low speeds acceleration is based mainly on 1 & 2:

1. Ability to get power to ground (FWD bad, RWD good, AWD best)
2. Power-to-weight of the car. F = ma becomes a = F/m, and F is directly related to the torque.

And, at high/higher speeds:

2. Gearing (the CLS sucks in 4th [no kidding], 3rd is ok up to 112MPH)
3. Power to aerodynamic resistance (CD * frontal area * V^2 * K) (The car with the slippery shape and max HP matters most as the aero forces begin to greatly exceed the car's inertia)

(An final example would be the new Acura NSX -- they lowered the CD/improved aero. characteristics, but kept the same engine/HP and it now has a higher top end: 168 to 175MPH.)
Old 02-12-2002, 03:04 PM