quick insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 09:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick insurance question

if you are still making payments on a car but you dont drive it do you still need to purchase insurance?

sidemarker
Old 01-18-2003, 10:09 PM
Race Director

Yes.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:11 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no you don't... if your car is not on the roads it does not require insurance...
Old 01-18-2003, 10:12 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my friends car was in his garage for over a year getting worked on and he cancelled his insurance policy for that year...
Old 01-18-2003, 10:17 PM
Advanced

The company financing the car probably requires insurance coverage (part of contract terms)...most banks/finance companies monitor insurance coverage and are notified of a lapse in coverage. If they find out that insurance is cancelled or not renewed they may contact the owner to find out what's going on.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:41 PM
Suzuka Master

well the situation is like this. my car needs to get fixed but i dont need the car right now so i was thinking of dropping the cl-s off the insurance for a few months. I wont need the car until end of may.

sidemarker
Old 01-18-2003, 11:21 PM
Advanced

You might check with the lender to see if they have a policy to force place insurance coverage on your account if they find out coverage has lapsed. This insurance covers the lender for loss on the car, not the owner and is typically very expensive. Most banks/finance companies don't mess with force placing insurance any more, it's a bitch to maintain and collect $ from the customer for the coverage. By the time your lender found out coverage was cancelled (if they found out), you would be close to renewing your insurance.

Just keep in mind that something could potentially happen to your car while not driving it (though not likely if you keep it in the garage). However, I can certainly understand you wanting to save the money if the car isn't being driven for several months!!
Old 01-18-2003, 11:21 PM
Banned

you always have to have liability insurance, regardless of if its paid off....collision coverage is what you are forced to carry as long as the car is owned by the bank or american honda finance....after its paid off, you can ditch the collision coverage, but then if you cause an accident and your car is gone, you are fucked, youre best off just keeping full coverage forever, unless the car is worth like 500 bucks
Old 01-19-2003, 11:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by dallas cls girl
You might check with the lender to see if they have a policy to force place insurance coverage on your account if they find out coverage has lapsed. This insurance covers the lender for loss on the car, not the owner and is typically very expensive. Most banks/finance companies don't mess with force placing insurance any more, it's a bitch to maintain and collect $ from the customer for the coverage. By the time your lender found out coverage was cancelled (if they found out), you would be close to renewing your insurance.

Just keep in mind that something could potentially happen to your car while not driving it (though not likely if you keep it in the garage). However, I can certainly understand you wanting to save the money if the car isn't being driven for several months!!
thanks

sidemarker
Old 01-19-2003, 11:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by jimcol711
you always have to have liability insurance, regardless of if its paid off....collision coverage is what you are forced to carry as long as the car is owned by the bank or american honda finance....after its paid off, you can ditch the collision coverage, but then if you cause an accident and your car is gone, you are fucked, youre best off just keeping full coverage forever, unless the car is worth like 500 bucks
good point

sidemarker
Old 01-19-2003, 11:55 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
To tag and register the vehicle in Texas you need insurance...weather you drive it or not.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by 1killercls
To tag and register the vehicle in Texas you need insurance...weather you drive it or not.
And that's why my answer was so simple, Yes. Same in Kansas.

All vehicle must have minimum state required [insurance] coverage regardless of how much you owe on the vehicle or how often you drive it, as long as you have affixed to the vehicle a valid State license plate.

BTW, some states have the "vacation" programs you might be looking for.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
you need at least liability ins. in PA also to keep a car registered. same probably in most states.

i haven't driven my car in 6-7 months 'cuz i'm in brazil, but the car is garaged and i dropped collision because it's not being driven. (not financed)

I kept comprehensive just in case the garage burned down or something happend (the comp. part of ins. is really cheap compared to coll) and liability. I didin't want to go through the hassle of re-titling/registering the car.

Loophole (if you can call it that) in PA is that if you don't have ins. and your registration is canceled, and you can't prove you didn't drive the car, you can in effect "give" the car to yourself again, but under a "slightly" different name. In this case, I would re-title it under Dean C. Nguyen instead of Dean Nguyen, and it would go through PennDot w/o problems. The only issue is it costs to retitle/register.

But if you have a lien on the car, then i don't think you have a choice unless there is a clause to allow the car to be un/minimally insured if not being operated.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mrdeeno
you need at least liability ins. in PA also to keep a car registered. same probably in most states.

i haven't driven my car in 6-7 months 'cuz i'm in brazil, but the car is garaged and i dropped collision because it's not being driven. (not financed)

I kept comprehensive just in case the garage burned down or something happend (the comp. part of ins. is really cheap compared to coll) and liability. I didin't want to go through the hassle of re-titling/registering the car.

Loophole (if you can call it that) in PA is that if you don't have ins. and your registration is canceled, and you can't prove you didn't drive the car, you can in effect "give" the car to yourself again, but under a "slightly" different name. In this case, I would re-title it under Dean C. Nguyen instead of Dean Nguyen, and it would go through PennDot w/o problems. The only issue is it costs to retitle/register.

But if you have a lien on the car, then i don't think you have a choice unless there is a clause to allow the car to be un/minimally insured if not being operated.
very informative thanks

sidemarker
Old 01-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by kensteele
And that's why my answer was so simple, Yes. Same in Kansas.

All vehicle must have minimum state required [insurance] coverage regardless of how much you owe on the vehicle or how often you drive it, as long as you have affixed to the vehicle a valid State license plate.

BTW, some states have the "vacation" programs you might be looking for.
i need to check out if we have that feature here...

sidemarker