Question for SC members

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question for SC members

I have a few questions about the CT SC. If you all can help I will really appreciate your input and expertise. This is my dilema I have purchased a charger, but now I have been reading up on all these post regarding problems with the FPR that comes with the kit and that guages are needed to monitor boost and F. Pressure. In the other hand I have Comptech stating that no guages are needed to monitor any function of the SC kit.

My present plan is to install the kit as it comes from CT. How much boost does the stock kit produces that is needed to have a boost guage? I was told by CT that the boost is at 4.5 PSI, is that a correct number? Also, what seem to be the problem with FPR? is it related to the use of the HBP? Is the HBP something that CT sells or this is a mod that members that are SC have decided to do to add/mod the original kit to extract more HP/TQ? The acura dealer that is planning to install the kit never mentioned to me anything about guages. Will I need new spark plugs and if so which ones should I get or does it come with the kit. Sorry for being longwinded and thanks for the advice in advance. BTW I have a CL-S 6 speed.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:56 AM
563hp daily

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All the guages are specifically designed to monitor important info, thus
FP, BOOST and AFR are highly recommended.

Yep, the standard pulley is between 4-4.5psi. The FPR needs to be adjusted (increase FP) with HBP and remember that pulley will generate lots of heat. Some had FPR working improperly so CT replaced the unit. Personally, I wouldn't upgrade to HBP (despite the anxious power increase) without the IC kit and e-Manage . You need Denso Iridium IK20 plugs (search ebay) and your manual tranny will take the abuse fine
Old 02-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Gauges are NOT needed, although they are HIGHLY recommended. As with any aftermarket forced induction kit, no matter if it is "bolt on" like Comptech says, somethings can go wrong and the gauges can really help diagnois these problems. Fuel pressure at a minimum should be monitored. The FPRs don't fail as often as some may say. I had a thread with a poll and the vast majority of people had zero problems. I thought I had a problem but it ended up being my gauge.

The stock pulley is between 3.5-4.5psi. The higher boost pulley is a Comptech part. You can buy it through Comptech or a distributor of Comptech. This will increase boost to between 5.5-7psi. The high boost pulley can be, and has been, run fine without the intercooler or any other changes besides minor FPR adjustments. The Max boost pulley replaces the pulley on the blower shaft, not the alternator. With that pulley you will see anywhere from 8-9psi. I believe there is another 10psi pulley as well.

The plugs you'll need come with the kit and they are Denso Iridium IK22. They are the stock plug for the RSX so they can be had pretty cheap.

Did I miss anything?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Guys thanks for the info. If its recommended to have the FP gauge do they sell a single pod for the CL. Also does this gauge come with all the wire and connectors needed to install it or I need to make up my own little gauge kit. Also, are these gauges something that my Acura dealer will install as part of the supercharger kit install.

Mrsteve did you install your own gauges? Where can I get gauges and Pods?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.autometer.com
2-1/16 inch gauges

&

http://www.gaugepods.com/
Old 02-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Team Owner

There isn't a single gauge pod that will look like OEM equipment. www.gaugepods.com sells the dual CL gauge pod and I think it looks quite nice. Cheap too.

You'll need two fittings for the fuel pressure gauge. You can purchase the gauges from Summit Racing. I went with the following:

Fittings you'll need - EAR-100192ERL & EAR-935106ERL

Gauges I purchased were - ATM-4363 (Fuel Pressure) & ATM-4376 (Boost/Vac). These gauges are silver face and match the stock gauges quite well.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Team Owner

Also, the gauge install isn't that difficult but I had the dealership install everything so that i'd have it hooked up when I picked the car up from the dealership. It shouldn't take more than 2 hours to install 2 gauges.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:41 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have over 26k miles on my CTSC and haven't had any issues for the last 23k miles. I've spoken to Shad at CT many times about the SC as well as visiting them for dynos and warranty work. They replaced the original blower unit because of some minor vibration and soldered in the ESM. Since then, the SC has been trouble free. According to Shad (the primary developer for CT), the SC kit is set to approx. 3.9 LBS boost OOB with the supplied pulley. Guages are not necessary but can be used if you so desired to monitor FP and boost.