Possible Clutch Defects?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Clutch Defects?

Can you all list some of the possible defects that can be present for the clutch? Was told by the dealer that I may need a new clutch and that if they don't find any defects, I gotta pay the bill. My car only has 45K miles on it and I feel that it doesn't sound right to need a clutch so soon. I've been driving manuals for a while and I don't race the car nor do I ever downshift to slow down. I can't see how it wear so fast.

With that, I wanted to see what possible things I can check for (or have the dealer check for) that would possible cause the clutch to wear so fast. What would some possible defect items be? Could the clutch pedal be somehow sticking so that when my foot's not on it, it is slightly engaged?

They also did a valve adjustment on my car for some ticking and rattling sounds (covered under warranty). Should valve adjustments be necessary? Shouldn't they be okay for the life of the car? Or will I need to do this every 45K miles?
Old 02-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the clutch doing that makes you think there is a problem?

Valve do need to be adjusted from time to time on any car with manual lifters.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

I guess it feels like it's slipping.....gear transitions seem like I need to give more gas for it to catch on.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Instructor

There have been quite a few threads recently about clutch problems around 50,000. Maybe there is something shitty about the clutches they use. I'm one of the lucky people who get to pay almost 2 grand to have mine replaced.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Racer

yup, my cluth went out at 45k miles!! dealer would not cover it because they said my flywheel had heat spots on it...well what the fu** do they expect? I spoke with the acura warranty rep. and he was a big a-hole so I ended up spending 2g's myself to replace the whole shibbang- aluminum flywheel included...
Old 02-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

so far, i'm trying to get the price down on the job in case it's not covered by warranty. something on the order of about $1175 for a new clutch and just a resurface of the flywheel.

let's hope they find something in it. i can't see how short-lived the clutch is....and i consider myself someone who doesn't bust on his car all that much. i also consider myself a non-aggressive driver too.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrblack
so far, i'm trying to get the price down on the job in case it's not covered by warranty. something on the order of about $1175 for a new clutch and just a resurface of the flywheel.

let's hope they find something in it. i can't see how short-lived the clutch is....and i consider myself someone who doesn't bust on his car all that much. i also consider myself a non-aggressive driver too.
if its bad this is your best oppurtunity to go comptech
Old 02-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Team Owner

Most bad clutches and premature failures are the result of bad drivers.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrblack

I was told that they could not resurface the flywheel since it was dual mass. Keep in mind that if you go with the Comptech flywheel and clutch disk, you still may want to purchase a new pressure plate. Acura only sells their pressure plate with the clutch disk.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
They won't find anything. You'll have to pay. Something has a defect on some 03's that causes this clutch wear. I don't know what it is, but it's something. Maybe flywheel, crank bottom end of the engine somewhere. Maybe there's some clearance, or TQ issues on some. Maybe a defect in the stock clutches used? We will never know cause Acura will not open an investigation, cause it's a wear item. Like brake pads.

Maybe there should be a sticky to list the build date on each CLS that has had a clutch replaced in under 50K miles. Maybe it's all the same bad batch?

I refuse the idea of bad drivers or abuse. I'm hard on my cars. 2 6mt's & I never had 1 clutch issue. There are members who track their's & have 300HP & still no issues.

BTW Yes you CAN'T resuface the flywheel it has to be replaced.
You could buy the parts from www.acuraautomotiveparts.org then give them to the dealer. Might be cheaper
Old 02-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

How many of the people getting their clutch replaced are the original owners of the cars?

I have over 105k on my orginal clutch and learned to drive a manual on this car. I am just wondering if people who are second owners are seeing the results of bad first owners.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Instructor

I'm a second owner, bought it last year at roughly 35,000, now have just under 51,000 miles and now need a new clutch
Old 02-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Back to a MT!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
66700.....original clutch...bought it used with a bent valve....so the previous owner probably drove like an ass.....I'm going to put money away around 80k just incase, but so far so good....
Old 02-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm the original owner, and I don't rag on my car. I've been driving manual for a while now and this isn't my first car. I've had other cars and they easily lasted beyond 100K miles. Just doesn't seem right and I can't figure out what could be wrong.

Do you guys know if it's the same clutch setup as the TSX and TL manuals? If so, anyone know if those owners are having to replace their clutches at about 50K?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Advanced

add me to the list

Bought my car certified at 24.5k and I'm at 48k now, and the clutch has just started acting up. When i try to shift into first, it slips and jumps pretty badly...

This is my 2nd car with an MT, and I don't abuse my clutch-- I'm not really looking forward to paying $1200 to have it replaced, I'm puttin it off till it gets unbearable (or till one of you finds the right thing to say to Acura to have them replace it under warranty...)

_Larry

P.S.-- I got the same valve adjustment under warranty, its like the same story
Old 02-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Burning Brakes

I am at 52k and tranny is holding up *knock on wood*. Did any of you guys with the defective clutches do any sort of transmission fluid flushing? My dealer recommends getting it done at 60k and I was thinking about getting it done sooner than later.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

A manual car doesn't have the same transmission service thing as an auto. There's no flushing. It's a fluid drain & refill with gear lube & it doesn't effect the clutch. Normally doesn't need to be changed often.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Your right, no flushing persay, but I was told that the fluid drain is a good thing to do every so often.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Not on a manual.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:51 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Damn, so this is what I have to look forward to. Crap. And I thought I was getting away from our shitty trannies on the 1st gen 3.0's.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm coming up on 45K and my clutch is fine... I do downshift to slow down, but I don't "beat" on my car...
Old 02-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

I haven't heard back yet from the dealer, so hopefully they found something or are looking into a defect. I dropped the car off on Tuesday and they said on Wednesday they will be ordering the part. Yesterday (Thursday), the guy was busy and said that car would be ready today (Friday). But I haven't heard from him today, so I'll just hang onto the TL loaner until I hear from them (perhaps tomorrow or Monday). Hope Acura pulls through for me! I don't "beat" on my car either, nor do I downshift. This premature wear on the clutch is ridiculous! Heck, my friend with a WRX beats on his all the time as well as clutch braking/downshifting at each chance and he's still going good at 90K on the stock clutch. There just is no excuse for it to wear so quickly! I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by silvervtec96
66700.....original clutch...bought it used with a bent valve....so the previous owner probably drove like an ass.....I'm going to put money away around 80k just incase, but so far so good....

At 80k start saving for the 105k service as well, that was a nice bill I got for that one.

Definately seems odd that some people are going through clutches and others aren't. Anyone want to post some serial numbers to maybe see if there is any "time frame" in which these clutches came out? I believe it is the last 5 digits of the VIN that help to determine the age of the car, this "might" help some of us to feel better, or just be completely confused.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Looks like the stealership is saying the clutch is worn and I have to pay for it. They aren't going to do anything to the flywheel either.

I'm on the phone with Acura customer service to see if the dealership guided me wrong. They said before any work is done, they may consider goodwills, but since the dealer already tore apart to get to the clutch, they won't goodwill anything. I'm on hold to see if there is any recourse, or see if the dealer guided me wrong.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Strange. Good luck with your ordeal. Keep us posted.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

The right protocol, so I'm told, is that if you want them to consider "goodwilling" something, you need to contact them before the dealer does anything to the car....meaning they should not attempt to take apart the clutch or tranny. They told me that since they already took it apart, there isn't much they can do since I agreed to let them do it.

The kicker is that I even asked the dealer about a possible goodwill is it's not warrantied and they told me I need to talk to customer service about it. So, Acura cust serv opened up my complaint, saying that I asked about it but I was told to contact cust serv myself. They are not looking into this...hopefully they can do something for me.

I also told them that I know a few others who had to replace their clutch before 50K miles and asked what the right steps are to lodge a complaint to get Acura to look into the clutch. Basically, they told me that they take each complaint as a case-by-case basis. The only time they would look into it is if a bunch of people complained to a customer advocacy group (like the BBB). Is anyone interested in going this route?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Pro

I had to do the clutch when I bought mine last year... it had 55K on it. Of course I have no idea how the idiot before me drove. The flywheel was scorched as well so that had to be replaced as well.

I did a lot of research and the only option was Comptech, and they were a lot more money and had really shitty reviews. I don't know of anyone on this forum who has had good luck with them. I replaced with the OEM clutch and it is good so far. Hopefullt it lasts longer than the original one.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by goredcar
I had to do the clutch when I bought mine last year... it had 55K on it. Of course I have no idea how the idiot before me drove. The flywheel was scorched as well so that had to be replaced as well.

I did a lot of research and the only option was Comptech, and they were a lot more money and had really shitty reviews. I don't know of anyone on this forum who has had good luck with them. I replaced with the OEM clutch and it is good so far. Hopefullt it lasts longer than the original one.
I've got 20K on my Comptech clutch and flywheel and I love it.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Pro

Allout...it is good to hear that you have had good luck with the CT clutch. Last summer when I posted on this topic I had several members tell me that there had major troubles witht he CT setup... in fact some of them even went back to the OEM clutch. Sorry I can't remember who that was.

Anyway, your testimonial is a good one particularly bacause of the high HP application that you have. Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by Allout
I've got 20K on my Comptech clutch and flywheel and I love it.