piaa 19224 bulbs are peeling!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
piaa 19224 bulbs are peeling!

my piaa 19224 bulbs in my driving lights are peeling. any of you notice or have this issue too. i mean, it's no big deal....just thought i'd ask. i didn't know these bulbs were just coated blue. i thought the glass was actually blue.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
mine ain't gonna peel....i took all the blue coating off the 2nd day i got them.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:43 PM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: piaa 19224 bulbs are peeling!

Originally posted by icy CL
my piaa 19224 bulbs in my driving lights are peeling. any of you notice or have this issue too. i mean, it's no big deal....just thought i'd ask. i didn't know these bulbs were just coated blue. i thought the glass was actually blue.
hey, i beat Aztec this time!!

yeah, we've exhausted this topic in the past here's the jist of it...yes, it's pretty common...it stems from the fact that either oil somehow got on the bulb, in which case, the area started to bubble and u'll get the peeling effect...or when u installed them, just enough flaked off to start the chain reaction...my lamps are shot...i just wish i can post a pic or 2...it's fairly common, enough so that some people actually rip the coating off right from the get-go...i thought they were blue glass as well, then when i looked closely, i said to myself what a POS!! but u get what u pay for i guess!! my OptiBlue's better b a bit more than just a blue-covered clear bulb!!
Old 04-12-2002, 11:12 PM
Darth Tator

Originally posted by mrdeeno
mine ain't gonna peel....i took all the blue coating off the 2nd day i got them.
Why did u buy blue bulbs then peel them??

Can't you just buy a normal higher wattage bulb?
Old 04-13-2002, 12:24 AM
Safety Car

Ha, Beat you too this, My coating came off on day one. I just wasn't impressed with the blue either and thought it made the car look cheap!! IMO
Old 04-13-2002, 12:26 AM
Safety Car

Comparison of 19224 with and without coating is below. Whichever you decide is best for you, it's still better than stock.
Old 04-13-2002, 01:09 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by nate'sCLS

Ha, Beat you too this, My coating came off on day one. I just wasn't impressed with the blue either and thought it made the car look cheap!! IMO
Old 04-13-2002, 01:16 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by riceboy

Why did u buy blue bulbs then peel them??

Can't you just buy a normal higher wattage bulb?

Sure, albeit they are pretty hard to find.
However, I bought the PIAA’s thinking they would be closer to “intense white” as advertised. Look more like blue to me though… but hey
Old 04-13-2002, 02:30 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: piaa 19224 bulbs are peeling!

Originally posted by Scooter

hey, i beat Aztec this time!!
DANG IT!!!! Well my car was in the shop all day, and I was running around in the loaner car doing errands!!! I just got on the board!!!!
Old 04-13-2002, 02:30 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, we've exhausted this topic in the past here's the jist of it...yes, it's pretty common...it stems from the fact that either oil somehow got on the bulb, in which case, the area started to bubble and u'll get the peeling effect...or when u installed them, just enough flaked off to start the chain reaction...my lamps are shot...i just wish i can post a pic or 2...it's fairly common, enough so that some people actually rip the coating off right from the get-go...i thought they were blue glass as well, then when i looked closely, i said to myself what a POS!! but u get what u pay for i guess!! my OptiBlue's better b a bit more than just a blue-covered clear bulb!!
I dont need to say anything else!!!!
Old 04-13-2002, 05:35 AM
Pro

my OptiBlue's better b a bit more than just a blue-covered clear bulb!!
whats an optiblue???
Old 04-13-2002, 07:40 AM
'Cooter

Re: Re: Re: piaa 19224 bulbs are peeling!

Originally posted by Generationz

whats an optiblue???
it's a blue-coated 9005 bulb for the highbeams...makes the housing nice and blue...u can find them at www.autodynamic.com
Old 04-13-2002, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Sure, albeit they are pretty hard to find.
However, I bought the PIAA’s thinking they would be closer to “intense white” as advertised. Look more like blue to me though… but hey
actually, you can find 16watt bulbs that are about the same brightness and cost about $4 a pair (whihc are hard to find 'cuz the wattage usually isn't listed on the packaging).

but i wanted to see how they would look without the blue coating because i wanted to go for the contrasting (real fog light look) look rather tahn the white/blue look. then put in 16w bubls to compare and they aren't much different so when these burn out, i'll just get 16w.
Old 04-13-2002, 03:53 PM
Safety Car

actually, you can find 16watt bulbs that are about the same brightness and cost about $4 a pair (whihc are hard to find 'cuz the wattage usually isn't listed on the packaging).

but i wanted to see how they would look without the blue coating because i wanted to go for the contrasting (real fog light look) look rather tahn the white/blue look. then put in 16w bubls to compare and they aren't much different so when these burn out, i'll just get 16w.
Ya, I was looking for the real fog lamp effect too, its the best I can do for now. Thanks for the tip on the 16 watt bulbs, where did you find these?
Old 04-13-2002, 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the reason i asked is because i emailed piaa and asked them how i can prevent these bulbs from peeling. or if it was to be expected since the casing of the driving lights was not made to accomodate 18 watt bulbs. they told me to return it to the place i bought it from since it may be a defective bulb ( a pair of defective bulbs). i told them that i am not the first one to experience this. their response was they have not heard any one else complain about these bulbs. by the way, i'm pretty sure the peeling is not due to oils in my hands cuz i used non-powdered latex gloves and also wiped them off with alcohol before plugging them in.

here's their response. and if any of you want to write them about these cheap bulbs, please do so. I told them several people had experienced this problem...not only with our acuras but other models and makes as well. i guess no one ever told them cuz it's not worth the hassle.....and they ARE relatively cheap!!! but since i'm currently unemployed, what the hell, i'd like to get every penny's worth!!

"Your actually the first customer we've heard with this problem, so it most likely was a defect in those particular bulbs and not all of them. We also checked all our return and warranty records and show 0 ever sent back as defective and 0 sent out under warranty (out of thousands), so we don't foresee a consistent problem with them."

Thank you,
PIAA Service
Old 04-14-2002, 12:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Ya, I was looking for the real fog lamp effect too, its the best I can do for now. Thanks for the tip on the 16 watt bulbs, where did you find these?
i found them at an autozone. The brand is sylvania, and are the same size as the piaas 19224's, but there's no wattage listed on the packaging, you have to look at the bulb and look for a "W16W" printed on it. it's printed really small and really light, but it's there. if i can recall correctly, the packaging was black and red (mostly black with red detail i think), but i haven't been able to find these bulbs anywhere else yet except at autozone.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:51 AM
on bin laden

Originally posted by icy CL
the reason i asked is because i emailed piaa and asked them how i can prevent these bulbs from peeling. or if it was to be expected since the casing of the driving lights was not made to accomodate 18 watt bulbs. they told me to return it to the place i bought it from since it may be a defective bulb ( a pair of defective bulbs). i told them that i am not the first one to experience this. their response was they have not heard any one else complain about these bulbs. by the way, i'm pretty sure the peeling is not due to oils in my hands cuz i used non-powdered latex gloves and also wiped them off with alcohol before plugging them in.

here's their response. and if any of you want to write them about these cheap bulbs, please do so. I told them several people had experienced this problem...not only with our acuras but other models and makes as well. i guess no one ever told them cuz it's not worth the hassle.....and they ARE relatively cheap!!! but since i'm currently unemployed, what the hell, i'd like to get every penny's worth!!

"Your actually the first customer we've heard with this problem, so it most likely was a defect in those particular bulbs and not all of them. We also checked all our return and warranty records and show 0 ever sent back as defective and 0 sent out under warranty (out of thousands), so we don't foresee a consistent problem with them."

Thank you,
PIAA Service

damn i'm sure others have had this, i'm on my 3rd set.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fbazakos

damn i'm sure others have had this, i'm on my 3rd set.

just take the bulbs out like I did. fook the road lamps