For the people that own sways.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 12:46 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the people that own sways.

After installing sways on your car, does your car still understeer, or is there a tad of oversteer?

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
RED AEM Pulleys
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-27-2001, 01:56 PM
Drifting

nobody has sways eh.

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
RED AEM Pulleys
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-27-2001, 02:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Still have understeer... But I don't have springs or upgraded tires (yet). Even with everthing I think the car would still have some understeer......

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X7.5 GT1 Wheels, Brembo Brakes.
Old 06-27-2001, 02:06 PM
Drifting

I dont like the fact that comptech uses the same parts for Accord/CL/TL/TL-S/CL-S. If they actually worked on them individually we could of seen better performance with headers/suspension.

Spiro
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:
Still have understeer... But I don't have springs or upgraded tires (yet). Even with everthing I think the car would still have some understeer......

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
RED AEM Pulleys
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-27-2001, 02:12 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spiroh:
I dont like the fact that comptech uses the same parts for Accord/CL/TL/TL-S/CL-S. If they actually worked on them individually we could of seen better performance with headers/suspension.

Spiro

</font>
Definitely, but they've showed no interest in designing parts specifically for the CL-S. People are buying their current line-up, so why waste money on the R&D of new products? That's their take on it so far, maybe as we start seeing a lot more CLs and TLs this will change, but ti's doubtful.
Old 06-27-2001, 02:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:

</font>
Agreed. I have springs and sways, but still riding on the crappy stock tires. There's definitely still some understeer. I don't believe it's possible to ever get rid of it in a 3500lb FWD car with 63% of it's weight up front. And if there was a way, you'd probably have kidney damage from the rough ride

Old 06-27-2001, 02:37 PM
Drifting

I know they wont. To bad we dont have any other company out there that can make us parts. I would like to see some DC headers for our cars, that are specifically made for us. I would also like to see borla make an exhaust for us.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod:
Definitely, but they've showed no interest in designing parts specifically for the CL-S. People are buying their current line-up, so why waste money on the R&D of new products? That's their take on it so far, maybe as we start seeing a lot more CLs and TLs this will change, but ti's doubtful.</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
RED AEM Pulleys
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-27-2001, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

here is an example,

before sways, when changing lanes on a highway, you turn the wheel, you feel the car shift/bow within the suspension, then the car moves.
With sways, the car just moves.

when tight cornering,
before sways the car felt like it still wanted to go straight. If you tighten the turn, felt like the oposite rear wheel was starting to come off the ground.

with sways, the car hugs the road and goes where it is told to. All wheels stay firmly planted.

all this while maintaining the stock ride feel!

does this help?

------------------
2001 Satin Silver CL Type S.
No Navi, PIAA 19169, Comptech Sways, Century Childseat, Mudguards.
Old 06-27-2001, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I agree 100% with the last post...tires and sways make a big difference considering the horrible weight distribution we have. I recommend them fo sho...

g

------------------
'01 Silver TYPE-S (navi)
  • Spoiler
  • Comptech Springs
  • 18"ADR Enigma & 225/40
  • 35%tint all around
  • Polarg M-6
  • Xephyr CAI
  • Comptech Headers
  • Comptech Sways
  • Denso Iridium Plugs
Click here for pics of my CL!
Old 06-27-2001, 03:16 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the springs and sways, turn is is much better, but the car still pushes (understeers or is tight) with the stock tires. Adding sticky tires will help this, but I doubt we can ever get it loose!

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
*** The opinions expressed above are my own and I in no way speak for American Honda or Acura. ***

2002 TL-S Black on Black
Factory Body Kit, Factory Spoiler, Comptech Springs, Comptech Sways, Comptech Headers, Comptech Exhaust, Xephyr CAI
Tuning by Jens

[This message has been edited by wayneg (edited 06-27-2001).]
Old 06-27-2001, 03:35 PM
Instructor

I agree completely that there is only so much we can do to our front wheel drive cars. I had the sways on the car with a Strut bar and springs for some time now. There was a noticeable difference from teh strut bar, however i seem to be alone on this next thing. When i put the sways on my car i really didnit feel much of a difference in any. But i had the strut bar on the car already, if that says anything. I was really disappointed after i chipped out 300 bucks on sways that barely felt like anything. However when i put some eibach pro kit springs on the car, i noticed a nice difference in handling. Perhaps this works together with the sways, but i will enver know if the springs or hte sways were doing the extra performance, so i do not know what i can recommend to get for our cars. I am however running on the stock tires. I am in desperate need of new ones but i wanted to wait till iget new rims before i got new tires since im running on 16s and i want 17s. But id ont think ill be getting any new wheels for a whlie since its goign to cost an arm and a leg. I Do need new tires ASAP since i am having many problems with turning in the rain. Has anyone here changed their tires after having the sways installed? better yet if after having sways and springs installed? I would really like to see if new tires helped corning ALOT or not really.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Diamond Nicrome Limo Mirror Tint
Undetectable K40 w/t Diffuser
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Eibach Pro Kit
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs
Custom Front Mesh Grill
Old 06-27-2001, 05:56 PM
Racer

understeer still evident with just sways.

------------------
LAKERS: BACK TO BACK!
Old 06-27-2001, 06:04 PM
Drifting

This is dangerous, but what people would do is add an extra bar to the sways that they had, and depending on how thick the bar was it would induce oversteer. The reason why this is dangerous is because you can put too much, and oversteer a lot. I dont know if they welded the bar, or if they taped it, but I do know that it works. I will not try it because its dangerous if you dont know what you are doing.

Spiro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by so cal type s:
understeer still evident with just sways.

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
RED AEM Pulleys
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-27-2001, 06:06 PM
Racer

This is dangerous, but what people would do is add an extra bar to the sways that they had, and depending on how thick the bar was it would induce oversteer. The reason why this is dangerous is because you can put too much, and oversteer a lot. I dont know if they welded the bar, or if they taped it, but I do know that it works. I will not try it because its dangerous if you dont know what you are doing.

Spiro

</font>
are you still interested in purchasing the sways?

------------------
Old 06-27-2001, 06:07 PM
Drifting

Yep =)
are you still interested in purchasing the sways?

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
RED AEM Pulleys
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-27-2001, 06:08 PM
Racer

and, doubt that i will try adding an extra bar too. it's too bad the lower tie bar does not fit w/headers.

------------------
Old 06-27-2001, 06:09 PM
SatinCL

My car still understeers but is more "neutral" than before. Considering the weight, toe-in, lack of a LSD, and distribution nothing short of serious geometry work will change this car's behavior. Hey, you could always air down the rears and up the fronts.....instant oversteer.

BTW, 215's are kinda narrow for this car.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P
Performance: Headers, K&N Drop-In, Comptech Springs/Sways, 17" Borbet T's & Eagle RS-A's.
Other: Flaps, X-Pel Clear Bra, Cannon Mats, & Burlwood Shift Knob.

Worst Stock GTech: 7.15
Current G-Tech (2/11): 6.33

DOM: 5/00

[This message has been edited by Satin01CL (edited 06-27-2001).]
Old 06-27-2001, 06:12 PM
Drifting

johntypes will be trying to fit the rear lower tie bar n his type s. If this works , I'm all over it.(those are the ones that look cool as hell on the integra.

[/IMG]http://www.gs-r.com/Images/rear.jpg[IMG]

you can see it next to the exhaust.
and, doubt that i will try adding an extra bar too. it's too bad the lower tie bar does not fit w/headers.

</font>
------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
RED AEM Pulleys
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps

[This message has been edited by spiroh (edited 06-27-2001).]
Old 06-27-2001, 06:14 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Satin01CL:
My car still understeers but is more "neutral" than before. Considering the weight, toe-in, lack of a LSD, and distribution nothing short of serious geometry work will change this car's behavior. Hey, you could always air down the rears and up the fronts.....instant oversteer.

BTW, 215's are kinda narrow for this car.

</font>
why haven't you guys purchases shocks? too harsh of a ride?

------------------

[This message has been edited by so cal type s (edited 06-27-2001).]
Old 06-27-2001, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comments:

1. I don't think the difference will be as detectable with stock tires on the car.

2. When I added the Toyos the balance of the car was improved 100% -- it had much less push. The push (on the stock MXM4s) was so bad on Sunset blvd, that it scared me.

3. The increase in roll stiffness quoted by Comptech Sales is incorrect for our car, it is more like 20%(front) / 80%(rear) increase in roll stiffness.

Note to drivers -- the sways will not do as much to alter the behavior in high speed S-curves. The transitions depend on the springs, sways, AND shocks.

The sways help the most in steady state to change the handling from about 20% understeer (depending on surface, camber, and speed) to near neutral handling. Do remember that I have the SSR wheels and Toyos (and the Toyos are set to 39 PSI all around).

I had the misfortune of running into 2 in-your-face left turn morons on the way back from the sway bar install. I noticed that the transient response was greatly improved. I would also add that lane change maneuvering and reaction is greatly improved!

All of the suspension components work together and the effects change depending on a lot of different conditions.

I would NOT like to have the bars any stiffer, but then I got over the turn-the- Konis-to-5 stage.

As a note, take your car to an area with a good number of bumps in the road, and an overdamped/too-stiff car will not handle well -- its tires are too busy jumping off the pavement to do to much good. (This also applies to springs, sways, and shocks that are too stiff.)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • NEUSPEED Upper Strut Tie Bar ordered
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 ordered
Old 06-27-2001, 06:17 PM
Racer

johntypes will be trying to fit the rear lower tie bar n his type s. If this works , I'm all over it.(those are the ones that look cool as hell on the integra.

[/IMG]http://www.gs-r.com/Images/rear.jpg[IMG]

</font>
is he using neuspeeds? dc? haha i think Chris is the one who commented on that too. i actually like the look too, maybe then you won't be able to notice the browning exhausts.

------------------
Old 06-27-2001, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AirC:
I agree completely that there is only so much we can do to our front wheel drive cars. I had the sways on the car with a Strut bar and springs for some time now. There was a noticeable difference from teh strut bar, however i seem to be alone on this next thing. When i put the sways on my car i really didnit feel much of a difference in any. But i had the strut bar on the car already, if that says anything. I was really disappointed after i chipped out 300 bucks on sways that barely felt like anything. However when i put some eibach pro kit springs on the car, i noticed a nice difference in handling. Perhaps this works together with the sways, but i will enver know if the springs or hte sways were doing the extra performance, so i do not know what i can recommend to get for our cars. I am however running on the stock tires. I am in desperate need of new ones but i wanted to wait till iget new rims before i got new tires since im running on 16s and i want 17s. But id ont think ill be getting any new wheels for a whlie since its goign to cost an arm and a leg. I Do need new tires ASAP since i am having many problems with turning in the rain. Has anyone here changed their tires after having the sways installed? better yet if after having sways and springs installed? I would really like to see if new tires helped corning ALOT or not really.

</font>
Tires helped more than any other change. It has been this way in every car I've owned.

Most people are so surprised when they ride in the car with the non-stock tires, that they are shocked.

------------------
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 ordered
Old 06-27-2001, 06:21 PM
Drifting

Neuspeed.

is he using neuspeeds? dc? haha i think Chris is the one who commented on that too. i actually like the look too, maybe then you won't be able to notice the browning exhausts.

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
RED AEM Pulleys
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-27-2001, 06:21 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Comments:

1. I don't think the difference will be as detectable with stock tires on the car.

2. When I added the Toyos the balance of the car was improved 100% -- it had much less push. The push (on the stock MXM4s) was so bad on Sunset blvd, that it scared me.

3. The increase in roll stiffness quoted by Comptech Sales is incorrect for our car, it is more like 20%(front) / 80%(rear) increase in roll stiffness.

Note to drivers -- the sways will not do as much to alter the behavior in high speed S-curves. The transitions depend on the springs, sways, AND shocks.

The sways help the most in steady state to change the handling from about 20% understeer (depending on surface, camber, and speed) to near neutral handling. Do remember that I have the SSR wheels and Toyos (and the Toyos are set to 39 PSI all around).

I had the misfortune of running into 2 in-your-face left turn morons on the way back from the sway bar install. I noticed that the transient response was greatly improved. I would also add that lane change maneuvering and reaction is greatly improved!

All of the suspension components work together and the effects change depending on a lot of different conditions.

I would NOT like to have the bars any stiffer, but then I got over the turn-the- Konis-to-5 stage.

As a note, take your car to an area with a good number of bumps in the road, and an overdamped/too-stiff car will not handle well -- its tires are too busy jumping off the pavement to do to much good. (This also applies to springs, sways, and shocks that are too stiff.)

</font>
yeah, the stock tires are horrible. .

------------------
Old 06-27-2001, 06:22 PM
Rod
Drifting

Well how much of a difference will be felt if you already have springs installed? The springs made the steering tighter and really made the car feel more planted when changing lanes and on high-speed curves, how much better will the sways make handling?
Old 06-27-2001, 06:27 PM
Racer

Well how much of a difference will be felt if you already have springs installed? The springs made the steering tighter and really made the car feel more planted when changing lanes and on high-speed curves, how much better will the sways make handling?</font>
it'll improve for sure. although i've had sways first then springs, and the springs/sways combo are what really did it for me. springs help very noticably, with stock tires too. .shocks would be perfect, and some new rubber. .

------------------

Old 06-27-2001, 06:32 PM
SatinCL

Well how much of a difference will be felt if you already have springs installed? The springs made the steering tighter and really made the car feel more planted when changing lanes and on high-speed curves, how much better will the sways make handling?</font>
One of the reasons (actually the main reason) the car "feels" more planted is due to the tuning of the OEM/Stock springs. The stocks are progressive rate.....but very much so in the first stages of compression. (that's part of the reason the car sits so high). So, in transition there is alot of transfer in the first few inches of compression. The Comptechs are almost linear in progression and eliminates this compliance in the OEM's.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P
Performance: Headers, K&N Drop-In, Comptech Springs/Sways, 17" Borbet T's & Eagle RS-A's.
Other: Flaps, X-Pel Clear Bra, Cannon Mats, & Burlwood Shift Knob.

Worst Stock GTech: 7.15
Current G-Tech (2/11): 6.33

DOM: 5/00
Old 06-27-2001, 06:38 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Satin01CL:
Originally posted by Rod:
One of the reasons (actually the main reason) the car "feels" more planted is due to the tuning of the OEM/Stock springs. The stocks are progressive rate.....but very much so in the first stages of compression. (that's part of the reason the car sits so high). So, in transition there is alot of transfer in the first few inches of compression. The Comptechs are almost linear in progression and eliminates this compliance in the OEM's.

and, it reduces the static height of our car's sprung mass

------------------
Old 06-27-2001, 06:47 PM
Rod
Drifting

it'll improve for sure. although i've had sways first then springs, and the springs/sways combo are what really did it for me. springs help very noticably, with stock tires too. .shocks would be perfect, and some new rubber. .

</font>
So it seems that the difference the springs make is more noticeable than the difference the sways make, but how noticeable will the addition of the sways be once you have springs? Will it be that noticeable on my daily commute or only when you really decide to push your car to the limit?
Old 06-27-2001, 06:51 PM
Racer

So it seems that the difference the springs make is more noticeable than the difference the sways make, but how noticeable will the addition of the sways be once you have springs? Will it be that noticeable on my daily commute or only when you really decide to push your car to the limit?</font>
it's all subjective now. many people enjoy the sways. just buy them and find out. they will help the handling of the car!

------------------

Old 06-27-2001, 10:33 PM
Racer

Noted the excessive body roll when I first drove CL-S. After installing Koni Yellow Adj.shocks,Eibach Pro Springs,and sways I now am happy with cars handling. I can adjust rear shocks a little stiffer to neutralize handling. I now can take corners at much higher speeds and thats on stock tires! Can't wait till new tires and rims but have only 2500m.so will hold out a little longer.
Old 06-27-2001, 10:52 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blazerbob1:
Noted the excessive body roll when I first drove CL-S. After installing Koni Yellow Adj.shocks,Eibach Pro Springs,and sways I now am happy with cars handling. I can adjust rear shocks a little stiffer to neutralize handling. I now can take corners at much higher speeds and thats on stock tires! Can't wait till new tires and rims but have only 2500m.so will hold out a little longer.</font>

You sure are patient, I think I have 30 miles on the stock MXM4 sitting up in my garage of "stock" parts!

------------------
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 ordered
Old 06-27-2001, 11:11 PM
Racer

Have to let shock of replacing a brand new cars suspension settle a bit for wifey-poo before I replace perfectly good wheels and tires!!! Believe me when feasible I will be getting new tires!
Old 06-27-2001, 11:14 PM
Racer

You sure are patient, I think I have 30 miles on the stock MXM4 sitting up in my garage of "stock" parts!

</font>
how much for the tires

------------------
Old 06-28-2001, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Sways made a huge diff on my car! Much mor stable above 80mph.

------------------
2001 Type S White/Ebony with Navi and spoiler, Rustoleum mod V1 with remote
Old 06-28-2001, 12:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Comments:
I don't think the difference will be as detectable with stock tires on the car.

Note to drivers -- the sways will not do as much to alter the behavior in high speed S-curves
</font>
I disagree. I have a small road that cuts through several farms by me with a series of about 5 sharp S turns. With the cl-s stock, I could run throught it about 50-55mph, with the tires squeeling and sliding a bit. Most noticable was the rear tire oposite the turn always lifted a bit. After adding just the sways, with stock tires, I can make the same run at 70mph, no squeeling, but a bit of sliding. When I tap the brake the cl-s tucks in nicely. My integra was able to run about 80 in these curves.

------------------
No Navi, PIAA 19169, Comptech Sways, Century Childseat, SplashGuards, K&N 33-2178.
Old 06-28-2001, 01:03 AM
Burning Brakes

So it seems that the difference the springs make is more noticeable than the difference the sways make</font>
Check through some of the very old posts. The springs were available before the sways. Many people who first got the springs were very disappointed that it didn't help much in cornering. They did lower the car, and stop the squat, but didn't do much for the turning.

------------------
No Navi, PIAA 19169, Comptech Sways, Century Childseat, SplashGuards, K&N 33-2178.
Old 06-28-2001, 01:04 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fast_daddy_car:
I disagree. I have a small road that cuts through several farms by me with a series of about 5 sharp S turns. With the cl-s stock, I could run throught it about 50-55mph, with the tires squeeling and sliding a bit. Most noticable was the rear tire oposite the turn always lifted a bit. After adding just the sways, with stock tires, I can make the same run at 70mph, no squeeling, but a bit of sliding. When I tap the brake the cl-s tucks in nicely. My integra was able to run about 80 in these curves.

</font>

Hmmm... Why is it that "qualifiers" such as
"will be as detectable" always get ignored.

Perhaps you would like to tell me how the car handles with your Toyos through the same curves...

The point I'm making is this: The more stick you get from the tires, the more body roll you get. The additional grip from the tires makes any changes in the suspension that more obvious. As it happened, the high speed S-curves that I originally tried with the stock tires had new pavement and the tire grip was so pathetic, that no change in sways bar would have made a difference. In fact the grip was so poor, that the car hardly leaned at all (it didn't even exercise the OEM sways). Once the Toyos were able to stick like glue, the body roll was noticeable, and the sways made quite a difference (in this exact case).

------------------
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 ordered

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 06-27-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 01:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Perhaps you would like to tell me how the car handles with your Toyos through the same curves...

</font>
No problem, mail me your toyo's and I'll test them out!!

I am still thinking of getting them, but in NJ I would need a snow set also. If I get the toyo's, I would also get some new rims, haven't seen ones I like that would also be different than stock. Well, I should say I haven't seen ones I like that cost under 5k.

------------------
Old 06-28-2001, 01:16 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fast_daddy_car:
Check through some of the very old posts. The springs were available before the sways. Many people who first got the springs were very disappointed that it didn't help much in cornering. They did lower the car, and stop the squat, but didn't do much for the turning.

</font>
lowered springs that do not help cornering??? before making conclusions, i'd recomment riding in a car that is lowered and not lowered.

------------------

Quick Reply: For the people that own sways.