Old 07-20-2001, 01:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Paint and Zaino problems

Hi All,

My paint is starting to take a beating.

Okay, so after two months I have:
* semi large chip on the hood
* some signifigant to-the-metal paint loss on the inner edge of my driver rear wheel (perhaps rocks kicked up by the tire?)

* 3-4 through-the-zaino tears (maybe 2mm long) long from who knows what but not hitting the paint
* one long thin scratch from a tire or something. There was a parallel rubber streak that went ALL along the side of my left rear quarter panel which was pretty hard to get off.

My question is: For the zaino tears (which look deep), how do you fix that? It's deep enough that it looks like could almost dig my nail in there and lift the zaino up. This is more than a 'scratch', so how do I fix that? Z5 can't handle that, can it?
Do I use touch up paint?

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: ChodTheWacko ]

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: ChodTheWacko ]
Old 07-20-2001, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmmmm, sounds interesting. I still don't really understand what the Zaino issue is?!
Old 07-20-2001, 11:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ChodTheWacko:
<STRONG>Hi All,

My paint is starting to take a beating.

Okay, so after two months I have:
* semi large chip on the hood
* some signifigant to-the-metal paint loss on the inner edge of my driver rear wheel (perhaps rocks kicked up by the tire?) [ pic on request ]

* 3-4 through-the-zaino tears (maybe 2mm long) long from who knows what but not hitting the paint
* one long thin scratch from a tire or something. There was a parallel rubber streak that went ALL along the side of my left rear quarter panel which was pretty hard to get off.

My question is: For the zaino tears (which look deep), how do you fix that? It's deep enough that it looks like could almost dig my nail in there and lift the zaino up. This is more than a 'scratch', so how do I fix that? Z5 can't handle that, can it?
Do I use touch up paint?</STRONG>

I have a nasty feeling you may have ripped-up the clear coat, not the Zaino. I've got 15 coats going on, and I've only clayed the car once after the initial claying (to remove a few specs in the Zaino that I let into the "layers" a few layers back) and also had to use alcohol to remove a small section of Zaino that had a tree sap spot "burn"..

I never saw any kind of tearing as you described...

If you really do think that the Zaino itself is "tearing" -- you should call Sal Zaino, he does really answer the phone calls and e-mails!!!

BTW -- I don't think this will help with "rocket launchers", but using the gloss enhancer seems to keep the paint feeling slippery and allows me to just wipe off any junk that gets on the paint. If I just do the Zaino Z2 (or Z5), without following with the gloss enhancer, I don't have the same luck wiping the "gunk" off...

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: EricL ]
Old 07-20-2001, 11:58 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I LOVE the gloss enhancer In total agreement with you. The car just doesn't look the same if you don't use the glass enhancer.
Old 07-21-2001, 12:17 AM
Advanced

I recently had a couple of paint incidents myself...in fact I noticed a paint chip near the moonroof when washing my car and ordered some touch-up paint. Picked it up last Saturday and decided to wash and touch up the chip. Then I noticed a scratch on my driver side door about 3 inches long and deep enough to dig my fingernail into. Had some luck with Z5 and smaller scratches, but not his one and used the touchup paint on it. I don't think anyone would notice it, but I know it's there which is damn frustrating! Anyway, good luck...maybe a good detailer can work some magic....
Old 07-21-2001, 02:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by rgraser:
<STRONG>Then I noticed a scratch on my driver side door about 3 inches long and deep enough to dig my fingernail into. Had some luck with Z5 and smaller scratches, but not his one and used the touchup paint on it.</STRONG>
Yeah, that's Exactly what I'm talking about.
So what did you do with it? You put touch up paint on it to fill the crack, then just zainoed over it? That sounds like the best you can do outside of doing major detaling work on it?
Old 07-21-2001, 11:16 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by ChodTheWacko:
<STRONG>

Yeah, that's Exactly what I'm talking about.
So what did you do with it? You put touch up paint on it to fill the crack, then just zainoed over it? That sounds like the best you can do outside of doing major detaling work on it?</STRONG>
That's exactly what I did...touched up and Zainoed over the spot. It's not bad and quite a bit less $$$ than a detailer...the downside is that I know its there...Anyway, it seems the paint scratches if you breathe on it too hard!

Later
Old 07-21-2001, 11:41 AM
Advanced

hey Chod, I unfortunately don't have any advice or suggestions that will help you with your situation...sorry. however, I have a question for u. how did you get the black rubber streak off of your rear panel? I also have one, but it's under the drivers door. i'm still puzzled as to how it got there, but oh well. thanks!
Old 07-21-2001, 01:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by RedS:
<STRONG> how did you get the black rubber streak off of your rear panel? I also have one, but it's under the drivers door. </STRONG>
Do you have a recent layer of wax/zaino/something on it?
I just rubbed away at it with water and a cotton cloth. However, I have 3 layers of zaino on so I don't have to worry about scratching the paint.
Old 07-21-2001, 02:34 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Originally posted by RedS:
<STRONG>hey Chod, I unfortunately don't have any advice or suggestions that will help you with your situation...sorry. however, I have a question for u. how did you get the black rubber streak off of your rear panel? I also have one, but it's under the drivers door. i'm still puzzled as to how it got there, but oh well. thanks!</STRONG>
\
For black rubber streaks on the kick panels (which are usually caused by none other than your shoes!) simply use a citrus based multi-purpose cleaner, sprayed on a cloth and voila, it's gone! make sure to rinse off the spot later....this is also good for tar removal.

I love this citrus cleaner, it does magic!

Old 07-21-2001, 03:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Bumping this up since I added the picture to my first post.

Any recommendations as to what to do about the picture? Can I glop touch up paint all over it or do I just live with it? Zaino over it?
Old 07-21-2001, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Try some Langka after the touch up paint.