our headlights kinda suck

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
our headlights kinda suck

Having driven several high end cars with HID headlights i have to say that the HID's on my Cl are among the worst as clarity and fidelity that i have come across. not only is the cutoff angle very soft and mutted but they jsut dont illuminate stuff that well, i dont think they are much if any better than my conventional headlights on my 92 prelude i have in highschool. they are certainly not as effective as the headlights on the new tsx/tl and i assume rl's, has any one else noticed this? or could there be something wrong with mine?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
the main reason is because our headlights dont use projectors like the tsx

i dont think their terrible, better than halogen.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:31 PM
proffesion...axle breaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well shit for a 5 year old car im pretty impressed, there are more expensive cars out there that dont have HIDs....i like the way they look. people always flash their brights at me, so atleast mine are bright. and they illuminate well farther up the road than Many other cars ive been in.

just wish there was a better alt. to the roadlamps that look good in thier place
Old 08-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth CL
well shit for a 5 year old car im pretty impressed, there are more expensive cars out there that dont have HIDs....i like the way they look. people always flash their brights at me, so atleast mine are bright. and they illuminate well farther up the road than Many other cars ive been in.

just wish there was a better alt. to the roadlamps that look good in thier place
I get high beamed prematurely in towns that dont have a lot of high end cars floating around. Yup, for 5 years old my HIDs are still very bright. Once one of them burn out I'm going to switch to 8K HIDs.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GreenMachine
I get high beamed prematurely in towns that dont have a lot of high end cars floating around. Yup, for 5 years old my HIDs are still very bright. Once one of them burn out I'm going to switch to 8K HIDs.
Just a note, 8K temp will be considerably less bright than the OEM bulbs. A waste of money IMHO.

As for the light output of the CL's HID system, I agree it doesn't have as sharp of a beam cutoff as other vehicles but the light output isn't terrible. I was driving right next to a Mercedes on a fairly dark road tonight and it wasn't all that bad. The Mercedes had better lighting out to the sides and was brighter closer to the car, but overall color temp and distance down the road was about the same as mine.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:45 PM
2003 CL-S 6SPD

Which cars back then had it this good? Please dont compare todays with something from years ago. Just be pleased that Acura listened and made better solutions for us to play with. IF you do want to compare, i still find our HIDs on par with todays G35 and lesser. Not bad for a 3+ year old car.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Oh yeah, as for the Mercedes I was next to, it wasn't brand new. Wasn't old either though. Certainly no older than my CL.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:50 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe you drive in a well lit areas all the time? all the D2R cars like lexus is300, infinity g35 and so on have similar output. 02-03 nissan maxima for some reason is pretty bright compared to all. but good projectors beat them all anyway. When I bought the CL I didn't expect it to be a BMW and those HID's are pretty damn good in my opinion. the high beams I don't understand though, who the hell decided to put such weak bulbs in there??? they almost don't do shit.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The high beams are for looks.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:53 PM
2003 CL-S 6SPD

Really? My highbeams do quite well. I'll take pics if really needed.
Originally Posted by belcom
maybe you drive in a well lit areas all the time? all the D2R cars like lexus is300, infinity g35 and so on have similar output. 02-03 nissan maxima for some reason is pretty bright compared to all. but good projectors beat them all anyway. When I bought the CL I didn't expect it to be a BMW and those HID's are pretty damn good in my opinion. the high beams I don't understand though, who the hell decided to put such weak bulbs in there??? they almost don't do shit.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:03 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
i loved my stock HID's, I love my 6000's even better!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:10 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Originally Posted by TRILIGHT
Just a note, 8K temp will be considerably less bright than the OEM bulbs. A waste of money IMHO.

As for the light output of the CL's HID system, I agree it doesn't have as sharp of a beam cutoff as other vehicles but the light output isn't terrible. I was driving right next to a Mercedes on a fairly dark road tonight and it wasn't all that bad. The Mercedes had better lighting out to the sides and was brighter closer to the car, but overall color temp and distance down the road was about the same as mine.

On paper yes, to our eyes...nope.

Yes, Ive read the reviews and quotes saying the put off less light. Its a proven fact that they do BUT, you probably couldnt tell. 8k is probably still safe, but at the cutoff. A lot of times people put HID kits in cars that dont have the correctly designed lens to disperse the light and ,yea its going to suck. 8k in our cars would be ok. Ive 6k and im a freak about light output. I wanted nothing to do with dimmer lights. I noticed absolutely NO change when I put mine in. They color is more intense so it APPEARS brighter when next to another car with stock HIDS. The light output is so close its undistinguishable to untrained eyes, like our own.

The 10-15% less light output is justified with the much nicer color.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by o2cls

Yes, Ive read the reviews and quotes saying the put off less light. Its a proven fact that they do BUT, you probably couldnt tell. 8k is probably still safe, but at the cutoff. A lot of times people put HID kits in cars that dont have the correctly designed lens to disperse the light and ,yea its going to suck. 8k in our cars would be ok. Ive 6k and im a freak about light output. I wanted nothing to do with dimmer lights. I noticed absolutely NO change when I put mine in. They color is more intense so it APPEARS brighter when next to another car with stock HIDS. The light output is so close its undistinguishable to untrained eyes, like our own.

I love the way 8K looks. It's too bad aftermarket part makers can't make a low beam projector housing for our cars. I saw the D2R projector DIYer but I just don't have the time. Every time I look at the Benz I sigh...lol.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:48 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

http://hidtech.com/

They'll do it for about 500-800 bucks, but thats a lot of cash and your headlights will be out of your car for at least a week.

We've had a member use them, his car is actually on the site.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:20 AM
4th Gear

i loved my stock HID's, I love my 6000's even better!
Did you just switch the bulbs or did the 6k kit? Im considering switching just the bulbs, but I know ours wasnt made for 6k hids so Im guessing it will be underpowerd just a bit? What brands are you guys using for aftermarket bulbs/ kits?
Old 08-08-2006, 07:16 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Originally Posted by 03CLS6
Did you just switch the bulbs or did the 6k kit? Im considering switching just the bulbs, but I know ours wasnt made for 6k hids so Im guessing it will be underpowerd just a bit? What brands are you guys using for aftermarket bulbs/ kits?

Underpowerd......? Its still a 35w bulb. Theres no need to switch out the ballast at all.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts

I can tell.
And I dont know what your guys are talking about. The lights are fine to me. Are they MB quailty? no, but they are close enough. Beats standard lights to death.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Advanced

what could be done to high beams that they could be used as regular headlights, it would look pretty coool to have extra lil bit
Old 08-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, I couldn't believe it when I saw this thread. I think our lights are pretty good. My last car was a 97 Acura GSR - you want to talk about light that sucked. So, for me the CLS is a huge improvement.

I put the Silver Star's in for high beams. So, if I'm in the middle of nowhere and use them too, I can see very well.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

im jsut comparing my CLS headlights to my 92 prelude primarily (which would be 14 years old compared to 3) it had piaa halogen's at the stock wattage and i believe they out performed my HID's i have now. granted they werent as blueish white as what i have now but they were very VERY good headlights and im kinda dissapointed with these. but for really bad headlights i had a 97 mountaineer, those were about as effective as holding a mini maglight out the drivers window at 60 in a monsoon (worthless)
Old 08-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
The HID's are far better & are far brighter, & are far superior to Halogen's. It's a night a day difference, there should be no question when comparing them to halogens. Maybe something is wrong with your cars lights? Are they aimed right? You sure it has the correct bulbs in them?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdmerk
...but for really bad headlights i had a 97 mountaineer, those were about as effective as holding a mini maglight out the drivers window at 60 in a monsoon (worthless)
LMAO!!! I know how you feel. I had a 97 Grand Am and it was about as bad! Talk about dangerous!

As for light output, it is hard to appreciate until you start spending time in a car with halogen lighting. My other car had really dull halogen lights so I purchased Silverstars all the way around. Made a BIG difference! Not only in color temp but light output. I was amazed at the difference. Then I got the Acura and I've gotten used to the HID lights. Went back to the other car the other day and the lights looked downright DIM!
Old 08-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I would never go back to Halogens...you couldn't pay me enough money to. Even trying the Xenon bulbs on the cars I used to own: its just not the same.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:20 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
the headlights are just fine.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:57 AM
Acura loyal for 93mo/109k

I like mine and they've been trouble free.

Even after 5.5 years I'm still impressed they came standard. Back then, many of the high end cars either didn't have them available, or they were an expensive option.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by Sun Diego CL-S
the headlights are just fine.
This is a retarded thread IMO.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Drinking Beer In

You want to talk sucky headlights - My other car is a 2004 Volvo XC70. When you click the dimmer, the lights tilt up mechanically - NO increase in output for hi beam, just angle.

I love my Acura
Old 08-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Racer

My passenger side "inverter" (I'm guessing that's the ballast) blew the other day and the Acura stealership wants almost a grand to fix it. Would anyone recommend switching to something different or just replacing the ballast and bulb that are blown? I don't really know much about the lights, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by Landocommando12
My passenger side "inverter" (I'm guessing that's the ballast) blew the other day and the Acura stealership wants almost a grand to fix it. Would anyone recommend switching to something different or just replacing the ballast and bulb that are blown? I don't really know much about the lights, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.
It's really easy to do yourself. Just get the bulb and a new ballast and do it. It just requires taking off the bumper cover and the headlight assembly. No biggie.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Racer

Has anyone done a DIY on this?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Has anyone done a DIY on this?
search up on DIY cleard headlights or blacked out headlights. There's a couple DIY's on that and it will basically give you the exact info you need to do the bumper removal as well as taking the headlights out.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:45 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

first check the bulb. take it out and see if there's anything abnormal about it. if not then try it on the other side. then find the ballast... ebay, acura, oemacuraparts.com or any other place and then replace it. you can get some OE Philips bulbs from this guy.... http://stores.ebay.com/hidconcept if you need them of course. I just got a pair of Philips d2r plus version, they're supposed to be 5000k with same lumens as normal ones (3200). I'll take a pic tonight, it's not dark yet.

taking off the bumper is not a big deal. remove all clips from bottom. remove radiator cover. remove all bolts and screws under the radiator cover and in the wheel wells and then just slide it off carefully (get someone to give you a hand).
Old 08-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by belcom
I just got a pair of Philips d2r plus version, they're supposed to be 5000k with same lumens as normal ones (3200). I'll take a pic tonight, it's not dark yet.
Is the color temp really 3200 stock?? Seems awfully low in the spectrum. Perhaps this is the older models? Mine is 03 and does not look near the color temp of 3200K.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
I have an 01 and my lamps are just fine.

Personally I think that a lot of the OEM Xeon headlamps are waayy to bright. Especially BMW.

I think ours are just right. In the dark they work great and that is what headlights are for.

If you are of the type that like to 'show off' your headlights in the daytime then yes the CL headlamps are not for you.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by knight rider
I have an 01 and my lamps are just fine.

Personally I think that a lot of the OEM Xeon headlamps are waayy to bright. Especially BMW.

I think ours are just right. In the dark they work great and that is what headlights are for.

If you are of the type that like to 'show off' your headlights in the daytime then yes the CL headlamps are not for you.
I have to agree, those beamer's ones are blinding esp that X3 suv. But ours are just right, never had to squint when a CL was comming in the opposite direction at night. Mine light up the ground plenty well for me, even down back roads that have no street lights.

I'm going to see if later on this week (I would do it tommorow night, but I'm getting my wisdom teeth out) I can take a side by side comparrison pic of an 02 lexus sc430's projector xenon vs ours on the street just to see the difference. I've driven the 430 at night quite a few times before and from what I remember, theres not much of a difference.

Now my friends 06 350z seem's to light up the ground a lot more than my CL.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
...(I would do it tommorow night, but I'm getting my wisdom teeth out)...
Ahhh.... Vicodin.

Seriously though, it may sound funny but right after you get it done, biting softly on warm tea bags (green tea is best) will help stop the bleeding and help you heal faster. Also, load up on Echinacea.

[We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread discussion]
Old 08-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Drinking Beer In

Originally Posted by TRILIGHT
Ahhh.... Vicodin.

Seriously though, it may sound funny but right after you get it done, biting softly on warm tea bags (green tea is best) will help stop the bleeding and help you heal faster. Also, load up on Echinacea.

[We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread discussion]

huh! huh! He said teabag!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:39 AM
When u C the L type S

hehehe teabaggin !!!! But also I think our lights are quite good. Except the brights dont do much. My stock Integra brights were the best brights i've ever had. Thinking i'll replace my highbeams... any suggestions on whats best for that ??
Old 08-10-2006, 12:01 PM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
i've gotr silverstars for high beams. i can see almost all the way into space with my ufo spotlights.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:19 PM
When u C the L type S

Hehe. Then I might just have to get those. I wanna be able to see the aliens b4 they get me so I can get outta there. Feel sorry for those CL-P's that wont have enough pwr to get away. Got any pics of ur lights w/ the brights on ? I would like to see...

Quick Reply: our headlights kinda suck