old people should not drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 695 Likes on 537 Posts
old people should not drive

Today I saw one old lady making a turn on the intersection where there is a sign "no turns". The roads in both directions were full of cars. She was blocking fast left lane for all the cars behind her, and she was crossing over to the incoming traffic's lane. So cars in both directions left lanes had to stop, or change lanes from left to right lane. Cars were blowing horns, and the women was so freaken old she could not even understand what is wrong.
Being very old is even worse than be a drunk driver
Old 11-29-2001, 12:02 PM
Silver Bullet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously, after a certain age, I think you should have to take a test every six months to see if your still a good driver. I mean there are some op's that can't even see over the steering wheel, their dangerous.

Old 11-29-2001, 12:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Living in South FL(home of the old people) I happily agree!
Old 11-29-2001, 01:07 PM
Race Director

But it ain't going to happen. And it doesn't need to either. Why? Because they aren't the problem.

There's more young(er) people make those illegal and dangerous left turns than old(er) people. Way more. So why not let's start with the young and/or bad drivers first. Why do you want to pick on old folks?

I don't like their driving either but I'm usually tail-gated by a young person. When I creep into the intersection on my green light and have to sudden brake due to light running, usually it ain't an old person. Be glad she was doing that and not ramming you into a ditch like a drunk driver will.

"Being very old is even worse than be a drunk driver." I don't think so.
Old 11-29-2001, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Stupid young drivers are also very bad, but at least their reaction is good. When people are old, their reaction is very bad. Also orientation, their hands and feet are shaking due to osteoporosis or parkinson disease. When they back up on parking lot they dont look behind, they just put car in reverse and hit the accelerator.
very old people are dangerous behid the wheel !
Old 11-29-2001, 01:43 PM
Instructor

As part of my 'rehabilitation' for not wearing a seatbelt I had to go to seatbelt class. The instructor presented a graph showing teenagers and the elderly having the highest and virtually identical fatality rates. So, at first you think, OK the elderly are bad drivers. Then, he says, 'wrong', they have more fatalities becuase the elderly don't bounce well. A small bump or bruise and its over for them. Which means teenager injuries and fatalities exceed the elderly. But, I'd still rather be following a teenager than a driver-less caddy....so much for stats.
Old 11-29-2001, 01:46 PM
'Cooter

simple fix...old people DO need to b retested at least once a year after age 65.

as far as the kids go, everyone in the US gets their licenses as of age 21...y?? b/c MOST people are mature enough at that age, as opposed to Georgia where they get licenses at like 15!!!!! there should b multiple training sessions for later teens to prepare them for driving...they should indeed watch those boring Driver's Ed videos of car wrecks, but they should also b trained to handle various situations, such as controling a spin, braking in wet weather, etc...my Driver's Ed never taught that in either video or real life...finally, there should b a probationary period of at least 2 years where severe penalties are placed upon new drivers who deliberately break the law...the worse the offense, the harsher the penalty...after age 23, they have normal-life driving priviledges.

that's how i c it from my experiences with both young and old, but im only 24 and can't fully guage whether the younger folk are more at fault than the older folk...i get pissed at both when they drive horrendously
Old 11-29-2001, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, just give them electric chair for being stupid drivers
Old 11-29-2001, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

I think we should not compare old drivers to young drivers, its comparing apples and oranges. Lets talk about old drivers.
65 years old might not be that bad.
How about old lady that leaves in my appartment building which is 85 years old, and still drives her old mobile. When she opens a door in her car, her legs and hands are shaking, and she one by one puts her legs in the car using her hands ( having problems lifting a leg !? )
Then she drives.
I feel like calling 911 and reporting that someone is breaking a law.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:02 PM
Masshole

Hey...I'm 142 years old and I still drive like Jeff Gordon. I resent your agism!!!! :P
Old 11-29-2001, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A number of insurance companies give further discounts to people over 50-years of age.

I nearly got ran into by a rather old fellow (must have been in his 80s) taking his re-test for the DMV. The near miss was right after he ran the entire side of the car over the curb to the north of the DMV's lot. I found him in the DMV screaming about the loss of his driving RIGHTS.

Then there was the 70+ year old woman that ran a 2-way stop going around 60 mph (in a 25 zone). We had to slide sideway into some bushes to avoid being killed -- No damage was done to us, but the person was not driving carefully and would have killed my wife.

Eighteen to mid twenty year olds have driven around the very same tight 25MPH BLIND hairpin on the infamous Mulholland Dr.(with tires screeching on the wrong side of the double yellow line), and I have gotten used to finding the dirt shoulder in anticipation of these idiots on their Kamikaze runs. They all had big grins on their faces as they watched me exercise my survival skills. This has happened more than three times!

To, finish the diatribe, tell me how many cars you see out on Saturday night from 12AM to 3AM weaving or bobbing back-and-forth in their lanes or actually swerving out of their lane. (Ask a policeman about this sometime…)

Should everyone under 30 be tested (due to testosterone overload, Kamikaze syndrome, etc)?

OR

Should everyone over 70 be tested (due to the potential Alzheimer’s patient that tried to t-bone us)?

OR

So -- should everyone be retested at a track every year? Is there any way to keep incompetent drivers off the street without public outcry?

The "solution" always seems so easy when the people that are burdened by "regulations" are people that are in other "groups" (age, gender, etc -- take your pick).

IMO -- When it comes to terrible driving, this is truly the land of equal opportunity!
Old 11-29-2001, 02:39 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

And the 70 year old man who rammed me and my 2-month old CL would never have happened. Old ppl vote and their vote counts, thats why they still have the privledge to drive. Plain and simple.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

Below is an excerpt (not too long, I hope) from an article in the December 1995 issue of Consumers' Research Magazine giving some statistics on age and automobile accidents:

"But, when expressed as the number of deaths per 100,000 population, the traffic death rate is actually higher for those older than age 74 than it is for any age group except for those between the ages of 16 and 24 years. Although these data are interesting, they do not speak directly to the safety of the elderly as drivers because they include the deaths of elderly passengers and pedestrians as well as of elderly drivers, and because they reflect the pattern of increasing frailty with age-an 80-year-old male is four times as likely to die as a 20-year-old male in a crash of the same severity.

To assess the risks to others posed by elderly drivers, it is instructive to consider crash-involvement statistics, which are based on crashes severe enough to cause a report to be filed with the police. When crash involvement rates are computed by age of driver and adjusted for the number of vehicle miles of travel, a general U-shaped pattern emerges, as shown in the graphic below. Crash rates are elevated for the young and the old. Of all age groups, drivers over age 86 have the highest rate of crash involvement: 40 crashes per 100 million vehicle miles of travel (vmt). Even the notoriously risky-driving youth age group has a lower rate of crash involvement than the oldest Americans.

The mileage fatality rates by age group exhibit a similar pattern. Teenagers have a fatality rate of 6.6 deaths per 100 million vmt, while drivers in their forties have a rate of less than 1.0. As the graphic illustrates, the rate rises sharply after age 76 and reaches a high of 31 deaths per 100 million vmt for drivers over the age of 86. Part of this elevated fatality risk reflects the relative frailty of older drivers, as mentioned above; the number of fatalities per crash begins to rise rapidly after age 70."
Old 11-29-2001, 03:10 PM
Race Director

Old people do drive terribly sometimes, I can't disagree with that. But I think some people are missing the point:

1.When you see a horrible multiple fatality collision, who is most often at fault?

2.When was the last time you saw an 80-year old going 85mph and driving dangerously?

3.DWI/DUI, is it pervasive amongst the elderly?

I'm just saying that if you nearly get into a bad accident, you get more outraged if the idiot driver was an old person instead of a young person. You immediately think about trying to ban the old guy AND all of his old friends from driving to protect yourself from future discomfort. You think of bad driving as a disease among the elderly. Do you think of it this way for the young? Not really.

All I'm saying is that if I (were the Governor) could revoke the licenses of ALL drivers over 75 or under 25 in your state with the sweep of a pen, sorry Soopa! Lots of good, responsible drivers but a lot of deadly ones too.

Too many, way too many irresponsible younger drivers that I am more afraid of than the old person. When I'm in rush hour traffic, I don't see too many old people. When I out after midnite, I don't see too many old people. When I call in DWIs, it ain't the elderly. I see the elderly driving poorly, but most of the time it's not fatal driving, just plain bad driving.

You guys have said it yourself. Old lady moving slow in the #1 lane. Old man slamming on the brakes on the yellow light instead of gunning it. Street racing with kids over 100 mph. If you get hit head-on down a one-way street, it's more likely to be from 1) a drunk, then 2) a young person in a police chase failing to yield, then 3) an old person who missed 3 "DO NOT ENTER" signs. No I don't have the stats on paper, they're in my head from over two decades of driving.

My 2 cents.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:13 PM
Banned

Originally posted by russianDude
Stupid young drivers are also very bad, but at least their reaction is good. When people are old, their reaction is very bad. Also orientation, their hands and feet are shaking due to osteoporosis or parkinson disease. When they back up on parking lot they dont look behind, they just put car in reverse and hit the accelerator.
very old people are dangerous behid the wheel !

Young drivers might have faster rxn times, but making the wrong decision faster is not a good thing...
Old 11-29-2001, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Drving 10 MPH in 50 MPH zone is not any better than driving 100 MPH in 50MPH zone.

Why are we even comparing studpid teenagers to very old people? Teenagers is a separate discussion.

Stupidity, and physical incapability are two different things.

Stupid teenagers or agressive drivers involved in traffic accidents can be punished by paying fines or serving time in prison.
The right punishment might actually change people, and make them think twice before doing something dangerous.

But it you take old people, you can't punish them because it's not realy their fault. Their physical condition is not acceptable for driving and endangering lives of others.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Scorpius

Young drivers might have faster rxn times, but making the wrong decision faster is not a good thing...
Yes, and...

If so inclined, DMVs could test reaction times on a good “test” track area.

However, I don't know of any currently available "impulse control" test for suicide mongers, adrenalin junkies, and people with piss poor judgment.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:40 PM
I am #76,361,211,935

Received 344 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally posted by HellaWhat
And the 70 year old man who rammed me and my 2-month old CL would never have happened. Old ppl vote and their vote counts, thats why they still have the privledge to drive. Plain and simple.
And they pay taxes ... lots and lots of taxes .. that's where most of North American society's wealth is concentrated. Plus, they don't drive a lot so from a revenue perspective they are a good deal - lots of revenue from people who don't burden the infrastructure very heavily.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:43 PM
I am #76,361,211,935

Received 344 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: old people should not drive

Today I saw one old lady making a turn on the intersection where there is a sign "no turns. ... deleted ... Cars were blowing horns, and the women was so freaken old she could not even understand what is wrong.
That's not fair. How do you know its because she is old? Maybe she's been a crappy driver all her life!! ;-)
Old 11-29-2001, 05:03 PM
Suzuka Master

funny, theres a write up in Autoweek about this same topic.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:17 PM
Silver Bullet

Originally posted by Scooter
simple fix...old people DO need to b retested at least once a year after age 65.

as far as the kids go, everyone in the US gets their licenses as of age 21...y?? b/c MOST people are mature enough at that age, as opposed to Georgia where they get licenses at like 15!!!!! there should b multiple training sessions for later teens to prepare them for driving...they should indeed watch those boring Driver's Ed videos of car wrecks, but they should also b trained to handle various situations, such as controling a spin, braking in wet weather, etc...my Driver's Ed never taught that in either video or real life...finally, there should b a probationary period of at least 2 years where severe penalties are placed upon new drivers who deliberately break the law...the worse the offense, the harsher the penalty...after age 23, they have normal-life driving priviledges.

that's how i c it from my experiences with both young and old, but im only 24 and can't fully guage whether the younger folk are more at fault than the older folk...i get pissed at both when they drive horrendously
I totally agree with Scooter. The very young should be penalized if severe damage is done. The elderly should be retested every year. As for kensteele, what the hell is wrong with you. Are old or something? I know someone at work who constantly itched himself for some reason. He did it so much that he would let go of the wheel and swerve everywhere. One time he even messed up one side of his volvo against a 18 wheeler. After a certain age, the elderly should not drive or not drive by themselves, like a driver's permit.
Old 11-29-2001, 06:10 PM
Banned

Re: old people should not drive

Today I saw one old lady making a turn on the intersection where there is a sign "no turns". The roads in both directions were full of cars. She was blocking fast left lane for all the cars behind her, and she was crossing over to the incoming traffic's lane. So cars in both directions left lanes had to stop, or change lanes from left to right lane. Cars were blowing horns, and the women was so freaken old she could not even understand what is wrong.
Being very old is even worse than be a drunk driver

Yeah? I saw a kid trying to do doughnuts in a Civic at Wal-Mart. We can be here for days. Old people got old for a reason, they survived the days before traction control, front wheel drive, radials, and even seatbelts. IMO they earned the right to drive.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: old people should not drive

Originally posted by Scorpius

Yeah? I saw a kid trying to do doughnuts in a Civic at Wal-Mart. We can be here for days. Old people got old for a reason, they survived the days before traction control, front wheel drive, radials, and even seatbelts. IMO they earned the right to drive.
Hey, why continue the debate -- we have plenty of people out of work?

We just implement the "bounty" system with all of the unemployed workers. Hey, we just spend a few more trillion dollars and have informer/auto-vigilante squads with cameras and "etiquette/regulation/vehicle code-books" watching every vehicle and driver aged 16 to 100. Then they can report to the new "Peoples Department of Driver Improvement and Etiquette", where they can issue nasty tickets and summons to all of the nonconforming and wayward drivers. Overaggressive male drivers will get a suitable medication or electroshock, while older drivers who wander into the sides of houses will be implanted with anti-driving microchips (or bracelets). Problem solved! Of course, all recipients will have to pay a month’s wages for any infraction (if anyone is left in the private sector to pay them)…

Oh, joy...

(just kidding....)
Old 11-29-2001, 07:32 PM
Need For Speed

you wait and see

Wait until you guys get old and feel useless to society! Maybe you'll feel different then! They are the elderly! Give them a break young man! Show a little respect!
Old 11-29-2001, 11:48 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by madmax-cl

I totally agree with Scooter. The very young should be penalized if severe damage is done. The elderly should be retested every year. As for kensteele, what the hell is wrong with you. Are old or something? I know someone at work who constantly itched himself for some reason. He did it so much that he would let go of the wheel and swerve everywhere. One time he even messed up one side of his volvo against a 18 wheeler. After a certain age, the elderly should not drive or not drive by themselves, like a driver's permit.
What's wrong with me? I've never heard of a 90-year old kill anyone else behind the wheel, have you? Really? You act as though on the news every night it's another old person killing off the general public, but it's not.

Here's your sentence modified: "I know someone at work who constantly looked at herself in the rearview mirror for some reason. She did it so much on the way to work that she takes her eyes off the road and swerve everywhere. One time she nearly ended up rear-ending the driver in front of her during rush hour traffic. Before a certain age, the young should not drive or not drive by themselves, like a learner's permit."

Drving across town to the DMW for a 88 year old lady is probably more mileage than she drives all month, you have effectively put yourself more at risk by having her get on the freeway, the same freeway she never gets on if she can help it.

This is silly, it ain't gonna happen. Yes a few elderly drivers are bad but there's not that many of them.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:02 AM